Possible purchase of 2012 TL FWD Tech (Service Loaner)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible purchase of 2012 TL FWD Tech (Service Loaner)

I'm considering purchasing a 2012 TL FWD with Tech package. It is certified with about 9K miles and can pickup for around 32K. However, it was a service loaner vehicle so I am a little hesitant to say the least. Has anyone purchased a service loaner vehicle? Good or bad experience? The fact that it is certified makes me feel a little better, but I can only imagine what some folks may have done with the car.

Given my budget of around $32K max, I'm also considering purchasing a NEW 2012 TSX w/ Tech. I actually love how the TSX handles compared to the FWD TL, but the cramped backseat is a concern with 2 kids (ages 9 and 7) and them only getting bigger over the years.

The rate for the CPO TL would be 2.9% (60 mos) and the new TSX would be 0.9% (60 mos).

Any help trying to figure this out would be appreciated. I'm hoping to pick something up this weekend.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like in your situation with the kids the TL is the way to go. My previous TL was an '04 demo car with only 309 miles when purchased. It was a CPO and lasted me nearly 8 years, sold it with 138k miles. The CPO also came with a 100k powertrain warranty which was a big reassurance for me.

In your case I would be concerned about the kind of gas people put in with 9K miles (probably regular) but that's why we have a knock sensor and possibly the transmission, maybe some people drove it like it's stolen?

Best of luck!
Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for your comments. I didn't think about the kind of gas, but being a loaner I would guess many would not put in premium. We have a big decision to make over the next few days. Take care.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 AM
Advanced

I bought a 09 service loaner in 2010 with 9,000 miles on it. No issues yet that the warranty hasn't taken care of. A blown speaker here and there... but easilly fixed.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
My 09 AWD had 7k and was a loaner. I'm at 30k now, and its never had any problems.

Dealer fixed paint issues on the bumper I pointed out after detailing it. Got the CPO warranty included. Tires were (and are) fine, rim had a scuff. Got new mats, new all season mats thrown in.

Make sure you get the manuals, and the radio code, and the leather binder. Stealership stiffed me on all 3 and only ended up with the manuals.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
imo, i wouldnt get it.. just cuz i know people dont give a damn about loaner vehicles.. i drive the shit out it when i get a loaner..
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Milkbean
I'm considering purchasing a 2012 TL FWD with Tech package. It is certified with about 9K miles and can pickup for around 32K. However, it was a service loaner vehicle so I am a little hesitant to say the least. Has anyone purchased a service loaner vehicle? Good or bad experience? The fact that it is certified makes me feel a little better, but I can only imagine what some folks may have done with the car.

Given my budget of around $32K max, I'm also considering purchasing a NEW 2012 TSX w/ Tech. I actually love how the TSX handles compared to the FWD TL, but the cramped backseat is a concern with 2 kids (ages 9 and 7) and them only getting bigger over the years.

The rate for the CPO TL would be 2.9% (60 mos) and the new TSX would be 0.9% (60 mos).

Any help trying to figure this out would be appreciated. I'm hoping to pick something up this weekend.

Thanks!
Our 09 was a service loaner that we got with 15k on it. Haven't had a single problem with it. I would do it again.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IT only has 9000 miles. If your concern is with people putting regular gas in it for 9k miles, It's not much of a concern.

It's CPO, so not only do you still have the factory warranty but you got additional year and 12K additional miles for bumper to bumper and to top that off you have 7 year 100K PT warranty.

Absolutely nothing wrong with CPO loaner cars. They're a good buy.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
I put "regular" gas in my car that I own. I don't see a problem.

9k is not enough miles for it to be beat up. I don't think you are going to have anything other then wear and tear on your replaceable parts anyways. It is certified, so you got the warranty. As long as there is no dings/scratches and it checks out good with you, then TL is the way to go!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nexson
I put "regular" gas in my car that I own. I don't see a problem.

9k is not enough miles for it to be beat up. I don't think you are going to have anything other then wear and tear on your replaceable parts anyways. It is certified, so you got the warranty. As long as there is no dings/scratches and it checks out good with you, then TL is the way to go!

If you can afford the car you can afford a few extra bucks per fill up to put Premium Gas in it. The car requires it.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
-Brian

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl

If you can afford the car you can afford a few extra bucks per fill up to put Premium Gas in it. The car requires it.
The car runs fine without it, you don't need premium, sort of a gimic to me. And yes, car really runs fine without it once again

It might suggest premium, I don't know, I would have to check the owner's manuel, but right now I put my car in the shop to get the front end resprayed.

The car's computer sensors will adjust to what you are putting it. If I see a good price for gas, I am getting it, the car is not going to fall apart if I don't put the "good" stuff in.

Last edited by Nexson; 06-26-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

The car runs fine without it, you don't need premium, sort of a gimic to me. And yes, car really runs fine without it once again

It might suggest premium, I don't know, I would have to check the owner's manuel, but right now I put my car in the shop to get the front end resprayed.

The car's computer sensors will adjust to what you are putting it. If I see a good price for gas, I am getting it, the car is not going to fall apart if I don't put the "good" stuff in.
Doesn't matter if it runs fine without it. The ecu makes adjustments for that on a temporary basis. But you are most likely damaging the fuel system (injectors, fuel pump, etc) that are designed for the higher octane fuel. You won't notice it till much later in the cars life.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
If you are max'd out at 32K..I say buy a cheaper vehicle...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
^Maybe an Accord. The redesign is coming....
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
-Brian

Doesn't matter if it runs fine without it. The ecu makes adjustments for that on a temporary basis. But you are most likely damaging the fuel system (injectors, fuel pump, etc) that are designed for the higher octane fuel. You won't notice it till much later in the cars life.
oh ok, thanks!, I won't have my car by then, so I don't care
Old 06-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a 2011 SH-AWD tech that was a service loaner with 12k miles. I have put 5k on it and it is fine. CPO warranty included. Most Acura owners don't rag on the cars when they have them. You take your car in for service, why would you abuse the loaner they gave you?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear

I just bought the 2012 tl ...i was wondering if someone can help me. I want to change all the interior lights. I also want to change all the lights in the front of the car except the hids of course. Does anyone know the bulb sizes and how to do it?
If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.
I dont know how to start a new thread...that is why I am just posting here
Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
You guys are making me feel like one anal SOB. Not only do I strictly use premium when I fill up, I only do it at the top tier gas stations (as stated in the manual). So far it's only consisted of Chevron, Mobil, and Shell.

I do plan to keep my car for quite a while though, so maybe it will pay off in the long run.

OP, I say jump on the offer. Maybe voice your concerns about the fact it was a loaner and see if they can throw in the extended bumper to bumper warranty. I believe it goes to 100k miles.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by gtesauro
Does anyone know the bulb sizes and how to do it?
Click here...

Also, before you learn how to start a new thread (which is pretty easy), become well versed in the search function. Trust me, in addition to reducing the amount of flaming...it is much quicker than starting a new thread and waiting for some answers.

Last edited by ucf_bronco; 06-26-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 PM
-Brian

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
You guys are making me feel like one anal SOB. Not only do I strictly use premium when I fill up, I only do it at the top tier gas stations (as stated in the manual). So far it's only consisted of Chevron, Mobil, and Shell.

I do plan to keep my car for quite a while though, so maybe it will pay off in the long run.

OP, I say jump on the offer. Maybe voice your concerns about the fact it was a loaner and see if they can throw in the extended bumper to bumper warranty. I believe it goes to 100k miles.

Good luck!
Ever heard of U-Gas? All day baby lol, you know you are getting the good stuff when it is cash only.

I consider it like water, you drink tap all your life or you drink bottled water all your life, will you live longer drinking the bottled? Probably not.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
If you are max'd out at 32K..I say buy a cheaper vehicle...
Why? you are buying reliability and a bulletproof honda accord engine/drivetrain... Buying a lightly used CPO with that great warranty isn't a bad play if you plan to hold it and put lots of miles on it... Resale on a 2 owner car is worse than a single owner, but i don't believe that delta is remotely close to what you save buying a CPO vs new...

Its what I did, and I paid substantially less than 32k...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure it's recommended, not required. The car is not gonna fall apart or the engine is not gonna blow up. The gas lines and the injectors are not gonna clog up and the fuel filter isn't gonna blow up.

The WORST thing that'll probably happen is he might suffer a few MPGs to the tank due to re-adjusted timing from ECU and maybe lose a few ponies too.

The vehicle is rated at X using Premium Gas and in order to obtain that X rating, manufacturer recommends using Premium fuel.

You car isn't gonna break down from using regular.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by n19htmare
I'm sure it's recommended, not required. The car is not gonna fall apart or the engine is not gonna blow up. The gas lines and the injectors are not gonna clog up and the fuel filter isn't gonna blow up.

The WORST thing that'll probably happen is he might suffer a few MPGs to the tank due to re-adjusted timing from ECU and maybe lose a few ponies too.

The vehicle is rated at X using Premium Gas and in order to obtain that X rating, manufacturer recommends using Premium fuel.

You car isn't gonna break down from using regular.
And you have a statement from Acura saying this? You also think Acura will warranty the car if an issue pops up due to wrong fuel? Please provide the proof.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Buying a Loaner Car is like Marrying a Hooker!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM
-Brian

Originally Posted by Packagingpro
Buying a Loaner Car is like Marrying a Hooker!
Now that's a good way to put it lol

Where in South Florida are you? I am in Broward.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
My first 09 was a lemon. I was given another 09 as a loaner which I had for around three months while my vehicle was in the shop. I finally said screw it and told the dealership to just sell me the loaner. I had it for about a year, year and a half prior to upgrading to my 12. Never had a single issue with it whatsoever. It had.... Oh I think about 5k miles on it when I purchased it.

I don't think that service vehicles should be classified as a typical rental which most people beat the piss out of. These are vehicles that typically are not kept by one individual too long, and idk... I just feel like Acura owners are a different class of people.

I would go for it.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco

Good luck!
I'm the same only use Chevron 91 octane and only sometimes Costco or Sam's Club gas when gas prices hit the peak. My '04 never had any engine / gas related problems and I never changed the spark plugs during the time of ownership.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Now that's a good way to put it lol

Where in South Florida are you? I am in Broward.
Nexson, I live in West Boca Raton!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
And you have a statement from Acura saying this? You also think Acura will warranty the car if an issue pops up due to wrong fuel? Please provide the proof.
Higher octane fuel is harder to ignite, it resists premature detonation. Cars with engines that have high compression ratios need the higher octane fuel so it doesn't ignite as the piston compresses prior to spark. So you can theoretically get knocks and backfires, although no one has offered evidence of this here yet
Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
I think you can get a new 12 tech FWD for around 36k with 0.9%
the difference between that and 32k at 2.9% is around $38 a month.
and you are driving a new car with less than 100 miles
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a friend who purchased a 2012 fwd with tech for $32,900 plus tax and lic and got .09% financing for up to 60 months. He is to pick it up this week. So that is a much better deal than the loaner car you have a price for.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
would you run regular gas on your corvette? i dont think so. lol

or even run regular gas on your range rover..
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jvette
I have a friend who purchased a 2012 fwd with tech for $32,900 plus tax and lic and got .09% financing for up to 60 months. He is to pick it up this week. So that is a much better deal than the loaner car you have a price for.
I totally agree - You can get a new FWD tech for between $33 and $34k. If I had to choose, I would spend the extra few bucks for a new TL. Although you probably will never have a problem with the loaner, it probably has had over 100 different people driving it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 PM
7th Gear

We're headed out to the dealership tomorrow. The 2012 TL loaner is 'reserved' with a deposit so we will at least take a look at it, but we're now leaning towards simply getting a new 2012. Dealership mentioned they could let a new one go in the low 34's. Jvette mentioned his friend got one for 32.9K, so maybe I can hammer the dealer a little more.

Thanks for all the responses and information. Hopefully all goes well tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Great! Hope all goes well for you! New TL is a great choice.

Remember don't get any extended warranty. It's way cheaper to get it from a Honda dealership for around 1000 or less than that. Search for that thread in here.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a 2012 loaner with 10k miles this past Memorial Day....just make sure you check the car for scratches and have them taken out. That was my situation, other than that since the car is certified you are good to go! I will definitely do it again because it's almost silly to spend 5-7k more when the "used" car gets the same treatment...just my opinion
Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
service loaners do get a rough life to start.

i have a 2012 RDX loaner right now...the back of the seats have been kicked the crap out of, there are indentations from a kid seat in the back, there are crumbs everywhere, smudges on the windows (they didn't get a chance to clean her up before they handed the keys to me). so certainly i can only imagine what folks do to the poor loaners. i drive the loaners a little harder, but not to the point of abusing the car.

if it's CPO'd it shouldn't be an issue. personally, i would not purchase a service loaner vehicle. too hands in the cookie jar type of thing for me. if you are comfortable with knowing the car's record, then go for it. mechanically it should be sound.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
7th Gear

We ended up getting a NEW 2012 TL w/ Tech Package this Friday from a dealer in the Chicago area. Price was $32.7, not including doc fee / ttl. We tried to get it lower but to no avail...which I am okay with.... Got the 0.9% financing and wife is happy, so I call it a success.

We did look at the 2012 CPO service loaner and test drive it. It was indistinguishable from a new vehicle, and I was impressed with the condition. Only thing I noticed was a possible blown rear speaker.

We did not purchase the extended warranty or anything else offered. under9hell, thanks for the information and I'll search for the thread.

Thanks again to everybody for all the responses. Now we just need to make our way through all of the manuals...lots to learn.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
7th Gear

Sorry, price was $33.7K, not $32.7K as stated in the previous post. Still a good deal in my mind.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Congrats on your purchase.

It's definitely better to buy new rather than a service loaner that's been through who knows what abuses.

Quick Reply: Possible purchase of 2012 TL FWD Tech (Service Loaner)