Poor TL and TSX-they need the TLX bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1135277

TSX sales are almost non-existent and the TL is hurting bad. The TL + TSX do not even equal the RDX. I suspct the $1500 conquest cash may be extended past Monday although if it did not help I doubt it will make a difference now.

I get the focus on a halo car, but man when your bread and butter cars are in the tank like this why focus on a car that will at best sell 400-800 units once the hoopla is over.

Maybe Acura wants to the the SUV company of choice

So Infiniti sold 3600 G sedans with a 7 year old car and the new replacement announced and shown. Acura please wake up!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-03-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The TL and TSX are both very good cars, I know becuase I have owned both. The TSX has a death knell because Acura is phasing it out so people will loose interest in it. The TL is now a bit tired and needs to be replaced which is happening soon. They never really got the styling right, but I like it. The interior is a knock-out. With the new Accord, no wonder the TL's sales are suffering. If I was looking right now I would definately give the Accord a look because it looks almost as nice as the TL and has more features, without AWD which I like. I just love the new V6 Touring Accord for many dollars les than the TL.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Part of the problem is also that both the TSX and the TL were introduced at the same time and are both getting a bit old. I had a 2009 TSX and loved the vehicle, it is a great car but it needs an update ASAP or get phased out. The TL cannot afford to wait until next year but at the same time, rather than rushing something out quick and missing the mark, I'd rather them wait and get it right. There are some great options out there and interestingly, Acura was one of those options back in 2004. They need to hit a home run with the next TLX or else, they will have some serious problem.

I am really wondering was is going on in Torrence that they can't seem to figure out how to make this amazing company a better success story....The ZDX was an atrocity (in my opinion).
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

True they should not rush it, but they seem to have sacrificed the TL by one year to focus on the RLX, big mistake IMO. The fact that a 7 year old dated G is far out selling them tells me it is dated TL and the styling. They used to release the TL right behind the Accord, waiting a year further hurts the brand as far as cars are concerned.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^ While I agree that delaying the TLX at the expense on focusing on the RLX may appear to be a mistake, keep in mind that they need to get the technology of the RLX working and on the road ASAP. Remember, the TLX and the NSX will likely benefit from these innovations so getting the technology out there on the RLX is a must, otherwise, we will inherit a TLX already behind the pack when it gets released (technology wise). I am sure that Acura is aware of the potential problem in delaying their TLX, they see the sales numbers but there is only so much that can be done. Remember, they can't rush the technology too much and risk hurting their reliability because that is one of Honda/Acura's strongest point. Look the flack they are getting for the suspension problem with the RDX and ILX. People are not used to having problems with their Acura so when a noise develop, even though it has no impact on the reliability and driveability, people are very upset, and rightfully so I am willing to wait as long as they deliver a great product, deliver me a lack luster product and they will pay for it...I'll take my business elsewhere
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
the economy and mother nature didn't help in terms of trying to get the redesigns out on their normal cycles. they seemed to rush the ILX...and now look. they plan on doing and "emergency" refresh and putting in a beefier engine to try and differentiate it from the civic. the ILX can be successful if they would have pkg'd it right the first go around. the RLX focus was needed to get the jump start going for the tech and "innovation" preview of where the company is headed with the lineup. the MDX will be hitting dealer lots by may (rumored). the production model will debut soon (NY auto show?). the TLX....yes, there is a need. people have been scared off b/c of the early rendering of the 09-11 of the TL and haven't looked back. hopefully by the time the TLX makes it to dealer lots, and acura's design team doesn't go nuts or ultra conservative, then maybe some of those people from 3-4 yrs ago may consider acura again. or for those of us holding out from the 3G side are chomping at the bit to know what the TLX looks like. will it be a hit like the 3G? hey acura...."build it and they will come"...if only the 3G came with the SHAWD...i'd have the ideal car. the interior guts of the car and all the gizmos and gadgets are competitive with other makes, but they need a looker, where the appeal to the masses will sell the car for them.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

TLtrigirl...My bet is that you will be the one able to crack the secret info from the dealer and report to us here on Acurazine
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
eh, we'll see....i'm on the insider's list for the MDX... not that i'll be in the market for one anytime soon. the dealer's don't know much until maybe a few months out. acura/honda tends to be really hush hush about new models until they do the reveal. they currently have their two RLX's sitting in their display parking spots in front of the dealer lot. they'll probably have one going into the showroom when they get their first batch in a couple of weeks. the two they have are for test drives. i still want to sneak over the the lexus dealer next door and gawk at the LFA they have in the showroom (the dealer owns it).
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So Infiniti sold 3600 G sedans with a 7 year old car and the new replacement announced and shown. Acura please wake up!
Even the Infiniti G has a 7-year model generation span, Infiniti keeps adding performance to the car over the years to make it stay ahead of the competition.

The sedan hp has gone up from 306hp to 328hp, and a high output performance trim (340hp IPL) has been added to the 330hp coupe line. The auto box has bumped up from a 5-speed to a 7-speed. A G25 has been added as the entry level trim to capture more sales.

How about the TL ? Why has the engine hp remained stagnant ? Where is the 7-speed auto box ? Where is the TL coupe or TSX coupe ? Where is the high performance 4G TL-S which is crucial to boost the aging 4G TL image ?

Nothing in this world comes free. You put hard work into it, and you'll be rewarded big. If Acura don't pay much attention into it's cars, it'll be rewarded by falling sales. It's just as simple as that.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
RL 11
RLX 16

*Yes, I know the RLX hasn't technically "debuted" yet
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Even the Infiniti G has a 7-year model generation span, Infiniti keeps adding performance to the car over the years to make it stay ahead of the competition.

The sedan hp has gone up from 306hp to 328hp, and a high output performance trim (340hp IPL) has been added to the 330hp coupe line. The auto box has bumped up from a 5-speed to a 7-speed. A G25 has been added as the entry level trim to capture more sales.

How about the TL ? Why has the engine hp remained stagnant ? Where is the 7-speed auto box ? Where is the TL coupe or TSX coupe ? Where is the high performance 4G TL-S which is crucial to boost the aging 4G TL image ?

Nothing in this world comes free. You put hard work into it, and you'll be rewarded big. If Acura don't pay much attention into it's cars, it'll be rewarded by falling sales. It's just as simple as that.

Acura should learn to tweak every other year or something. Infiniti is good at that, my M37 came out in 2011 and in 2013 they added a few minor things, trunk sincher, rear sonar, Infiniti Connection Services.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Acura has long ago lost their way. The 90's buzz over the "CLX" conept never materilized because when it was time to go into the CL production they decided to do nothing more than reskin the Honda Accord and call it an Acura, featuring "styling clues" from the concept. Is there anybody else in here who remembers one of the original advertising billboards from the late '80's? It was a profile picture of a Legend, with the words "Genuine Mercedes" above the car, and the words "Replacement Part" below it. Now, it's more like "Geuine Honda Upgrade".
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I'm sure some of the potential TSX sales went to whatever ILX sales they have, so they have overlap of cars all over the place. I'm going to wait for the IS 350 (can't really stand some f the layout in this car, but ...) or the Q50. I've ruled out the ATS until they can get some of their gremlins fixed, and even then, I'm still a bit scared of it. lol.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm one of those people patiently awaiting the TLX and I really hope it's a 9/10's version of the RLX. I'm sure we can assume it'll have a 6 speed transmission like the RLX, and probably a toned down version of it's engine. I really hope the Krell system is an option although I'd take the new 14 speaker ELS Studio Premium.
One mistake Acura seems to make is putting features that should be standard only in the most expensive version of the car....such as ventilated front seats and heated rear seats ONLY in the RLX top line model. You can get those features in low end Kia's and Hyundai's.
I don't mind a 6 speed tranny or an engine that's been around for a while, if they're reliable and they work well I don't need change for change's sake. Acura (and Honda) are getting into that game of making a million different versions of their cars and that goes against the simpler model they used to have, which makes it harder to get the right combo in the right color and which is why they have a bunch of unwanted cars sitting on lots at huge discounts. They need to go back to what made them successful.
Oh, and how about a saddle colored interior like Hyundai? Black is dull and the lighter colors stain too easily. Nothing in between with these guys?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

The argument that Acura needs to get the tech in the RLX first does not fly with me. Look at Infiniti, the M has what s now dated tech, but the Q50 will ET all the new tech. Sure they could have waited for a M refresh, but they know the G/Q is their cash cow. Also there is not really that much tech in the RLX that is totally new to Acura, they have had variations of most of it already.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Infiniti is moving a lot of G's with heavy discounts in advance of the Q50. My view is the style still works, lots of raw power, nice interior with aggressive pricing works well. That said the interior tends to be on the cheap side and the car is less refined and these characteristics will show up down the road. Overall the car has a more passionate appeal to buyers.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
The argument that Acura needs to get the tech in the RLX first does not fly with me. Look at Infiniti, the M has what s now dated tech, but the Q50 will ET all the new tech. Sure they could have waited for a M refresh, but they know the G/Q is their cash cow. Also there is not really that much tech in the RLX that is totally new to Acura, they have had variations of most of it already.
The RLX has some interesting features I'd like to see in the TLX...

- Lane Keep Assist
- ACC with slow speed follow
- Collision Mitigation Breaking
- Brake Hold

On top of other RLX features you'd expect to be in the car. Oh and please give us folding rear seats.

I'd love to see a TLX that is the RLX but smaller, and no expensive P-AWS, and keep the price where it is. Add most of the RLX tech and it will sell.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by KES
Infiniti is moving a lot of G's with heavy discounts in advance of the Q50. My view is the style still works, lots of raw power, nice interior with aggressive pricing works well. That said the interior tends to be on the cheap side and the car is less refined and these characteristics will show up down the road. Overall the car has a more passionate appeal to buyers.
Interior may be cheaper looking, but cleaner than TL, IMO. I don't know that less refined means..harder suspension? Noisier cabin?

If I was in the market for another car of this ilk, the g a good value at this point due to the discounts.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Interior may be cheaper looking, but cleaner than TL, IMO. I don't know that less refined means..harder suspension? Noisier cabin?

If I was in the market for another car of this ilk, the g a good value at this point due to the discounts.
Could be wrong, but I think he is talking about the tendency for the vq engine to be rough at higher rpm's and the weird shifting behavior of the transmission.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KES
I have had a few G loaners when I bring my car in for service and I will agree the interior is cheap, but the car feels better built than my M, much tighter not as loose. Not sure I agree with the less refined comment, I find the G a refined car, other than the tech is dated and the interior cheap.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I have had a few G loaners when I bring my car in for service and I will agree the interior is cheap, but the car feels better built than my M, much tighter not as loose. Not sure I agree with the less refined comment, I find the G a refined car, other than the tech is dated and the interior cheap.
Hey Keith, would you rather have a TL SH-AWD or the G sedan with AWD? I was seriously considering both cars before I decided on the TL SH-AWD. So I am curious about your take on that since you have an Infiniti now and have a bit more insight. Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
Hey Keith, would you rather have a TL SH-AWD or the G sedan with AWD? I was seriously considering both cars before I decided on the TL SH-AWD. So I am curious about your take on that since you have an Infiniti now and have a bit more insight. Thanks!
Gx vs. TL AWD IMO no contest TL all the way. The TL to me is a better car all around that the G, more room, better materials, better fit and finish and TL tech is better.
The following users liked this post:
ctsport (03-11-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
Could be wrong, but I think he is talking about the tendency for the vq engine to be rough at higher rpm's and the weird shifting behavior of the transmission.
I can agree and attest to the sometimes weird 7at behavior. But since I don't live in 7500 rpm, and haven't noticed anything myself or maybe I'm dumbfounded by how fast the engine takes off after a certain point, it has never bothered me.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

I do find the Acura V6 to be a both smoother and defined than the Infiniti VQ. Ad the Infiniti 7AT while smooth does have its quirky moments particularly when you punch it on occasion, it will hesitate as if it is figuring what gear to go to, not very confidence inspiring in a pinch.

Last edited by KeithL; 03-03-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

With the latest A/T flash, that is a quirk of the past...at least here. Punching it takes off like a jack rabbit instantly.

What is really annoying is the behavior in the stop and go 10-25 mph traffic jams that last for about 8 miles in my commute. I usually drive in DS to mitigate the silly behavior.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
I just saw the March sales numbers.. and OUCH. the TSX and TL took a huge sales hit. I'm assuming Honda people are just getting fully loaded Accords instead, b/c of all of the new technology introduced in the 2013 model? Dropped from 3200 last year to 1300. I see the ILX got around 2000 sales. Bottom line, Acura is at a crossroads as a company right now. The TLX needs to be released later this year, if they are to keep up with the new models of Infiniti and Lexus.

Just looking at Cabin tech, the TL and TSX are falling behind already. I love Acura, but even i'd just consider a new Lexus or Audi just to get the latest technology. It will be interesting to see how the RLX fares in the market, however the TL/TSX need to be either updated or phased out/replaced later this year for the 2014 model year.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by deepen03
I just saw the March sales numbers.. and OUCH. the TSX and TL took a huge sales hit. I'm assuming Honda people are just getting fully loaded Accords instead, b/c of all of the new technology introduced in the 2013 model? Dropped from 3200 last year to 1300. I see the ILX got around 2000 sales. Bottom line, Acura is at a crossroads as a company right now. The TLX needs to be released later this year, if they are to keep up with the new models of Infiniti and Lexus.

Just looking at Cabin tech, the TL and TSX are falling behind already. I love Acura, but even i'd just consider a new Lexus or Audi just to get the latest technology. It will be interesting to see how the RLX fares in the market, however the TL/TSX need to be either updated or phased out/replaced later this year for the 2014 model year.
I am not sure much of the sales dive is going to Accord, I was looking to see about getting an Accord Touring to hold for a year and then pass down to my gf, but you can't find more than 1 or 2 in Georgia and even V6 EX-L with Nav is rare. If Accord is getting Acura sales then it is poeple getting EX and EX-L models. I think TSX and TL sales are down is the first Acura fragmented their own car line with the ILX and both are in their 5th years now and then the competition is just offering such great deals right now. I still argue Acura should have focused on the TL/TLX this year and MDX and punt the RLX to next year, the RLX is not going to bring more people into the showroom. I believe they should have followed the Infiniti model, Infiniti is pushing the Q50 it is their bread and butter car and will likely be a huge hit for Infiniti contributing far more to the sales figures than anything they could do to the M.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
The new ES is selling like hotcakes. Don't know if it is what's killing the TL sales.

See post #4108 in :

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...83641&page=103