Poll: How do you feel about the Power Plenum Grille on the 4th Generation TL now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by skipdeez
A few pics I just snapped quickly this morning, sun was shining right on my house so they aren't the best. I'll try to post some better ones soon. This gives you a better idea of how the painted beak looks. I'm really glad I did it.

http://cid-d8a8bb3b0f91ff9d.skydrive...se.aspx/Public

Let me know if you guys can't view that for any reason and I'll post them elsewhere.
looks good!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skipdeez
For others in the NW, I will mention here that I am going to Kelly's Auto Body in Bellevue, WA. A good friend of mine works there and they do great work that is guaranteed for the life of the car. I'll send some pics when she's all done.
Kelly is who the dealer (Bellevue) had do my plenum. As a condition of the sale, they had to paint it black to match the car. I'll post photos when the forum software decides I've been here long enough.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I am a current 3G TL owner. I think the 3G is an overall good looking car, although I don't really like the profile. I think the problem with the 4G is it was too much of a departure from the 3G. There's no evolution of the design. It is a rather jarring change, that Acura enthusiasts weren't expecting. I think that is Honda's problem, each generation brings radical change in looks over the previous.

Overall the 4G is not ugly. It has a great profile and I like the back. I am still not sold about the grille. It's just not as well integrated as the TSX. At least it's better the the RL's grille.

The MMC should address better integration of the grille.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JAB00
I am a current 3G TL owner. I think the 3G is an overall good looking car, although I don't really like the profile. I think the problem with the 4G is it was too much of a departure from the 3G. There's no evolution of the design. It is a rather jarring change, that Acura enthusiasts weren't expecting. I think that is Honda's problem, each generation brings radical change in looks over the previous.

Overall the 4G is not ugly. It has a great profile and I like the back. I am still not sold about the grille. It's just not as well integrated as the TSX. At least it's better the the RL's grille.

The MMC should address better integration of the grille.

Well, with the availability of the RJ grill, at least us owners now have a choice thank God!

(BTW, pretty much every former and current TL owner I've come across since having the RJ grill--outside of Acurazine-- has approved of it overwhelmingly over the OEM grill......that says it all right there!)

Last edited by PetesTL; 12-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Overall the 4G is not ugly. It has a great profile and I like the back. I am still not sold about the grille. It's just not as well integrated as the TSX.
That's well stated. The way the grill is pronounced and how the beak protrudes is the only issue I have. The rear of the 3G was my favorite but I like the new one much better and the side profile is just as nice as the old just different. The new interior speaks for itself. The grill is only one part of the design, one can't let that take away from the rest of the car and people really should look at it from the perspective of the entire package.

There is something in every car design that I would change no matter how well liked it is, the TL's most commonly disliked part just so happens to be the most pronounced, perhaps making it seem worse then it really is. I just know how all these people all over the internet come to such a drastic conclusion that it is so hideous and disgusting or it's a top 5 in the ugliest car designs ever. WTF? Am I looking at the same car? And I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I really think most of these people have some hidden agenda and it really shows in the way they word stuff and just how far they go out of their way to make it known. If I don't like a car design, I do point out what I don't like about it but also what I do, never exaggerating anything and never commenting on a design that I have not seen extensively in person. I still like to point out that the vehicle is still one of quality, if it is and what it does really well despite what it looks like, never going out of my way to join a site to voice that opinion either, I just don't care that much. Instead we hear stuff like "what happened to Acura?", "fire the design team" and "Acura is toast because of this" but thankfully not so much around here anymore. They also fail to realize that almost every car looks weak in it's base form this being the FWD with no spoiler and the 17's and that some colors might be more appealing than others.

It's one thing not to like something and even comment on it but people seem to hate on it with a passion and really dig into Acura on the topic of their more recent design trends and I just don't get where they are coming from. It doesn't seem as simple as it's ugly and/or that's my opinion, there is more to it. It's the exact same stuff you see when you visit your favorite sports teams forum and their biggest rivals fans frequent and post on the site way too often.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-07-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I really think most of these people have some hidden agenda and it really shows in the way they word stuff and just how far they go out of their way to make it known.
You're not the first person to have noticed that, and I think this is partly why AHM have contracted for a survey.