Paint Issue and Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Paint Issue and Damage

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to get everyone's advice and opinion on a few issues I'm having with the paint on my 4G TL CBP.

1. Damaged My Spoiler and Top of Trunk Lid- I was stupid enough to allow a friend to put a box of wine on the top of my trunk. Somehow, the wine box had a small pebble lodged into the bottom of the box. When he went to move it, it put two nice white scratches onto the spoiler, and two onto the trunk lid.

The one on the trunk lid doesn't catch my nail. Is it possible to buff out? What's the best product to remove it by hand? However, the one on the spoiler catches my nail. I'm assuming it'll have to be replaced. What do you guys think?

I found the replacement spoiler on line. Is it possible to swap out the damaged spoiler with a new one fairly easily?

2. Possible Crows Feet - While shining light onto the scratched areas, I noticed lots of tiny imperfections in the paint. I looked around the rest of the car and same thing. If it is crows feet, would Acura respray it? I heard of other members here getting the vehicle resprayed. The car is 60k miles, CPO, with AcuraCare. I would love your feedback.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:30 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 425 Likes on 347 Posts
Usually if your nail doesn't get caught it can be buffed out with the right compounds and pads. For the deeper ones, you could use touch up paint, sand them down and polish as well but you may still see the spots. I'm not familiar with the spoiler removal but I'm sure it's not that hard if you're mechanically inclined.

Have you had your car polished before? It may be worth it to do a 2-3 paint correction and polish to bring the paint back to its original quality. If you have the equipment or know someone. Do a test spot and see how the paint looks. Whenever I get tiny scratches, they polish right out with a 205 compound and white pad. However, I only have 10k miles on my car, it spends majority of the time underneath a car cover and I polish it at least twice a year and more times if I am competing in shows. I'm most likely going to do a multi step polish and seal it with a hydrophobic coating coming up soon.

Since you have the warranty, it won't hurt to try and get Acura to repaint it. Worst they are gonna do is say "no".

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 05-16-2016 at 02:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
warranty doesn't cover that!
warranties don't cover USER/Driver Error! but like above poster, it wont hurt to ask! lol

agreed that you're going to need to polish that out with an orbital polishing machine and some aggressive compound!
it wont take it out, but it will minimise how bad it looks.
some one experienced needs to do it, or else you'll get even more holograms and stuff.

if all else fails, needs to be sanded down and repainted +blending + clear coat!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
not sure if there is lint in the first photo but that looks like paint failure with the crows feet appearing... Acura should be paying for a repaint bc the base coat is failing. Don't even worry about the scratches. They happen with ownership but the crows feet should not be happening.