Oil change Maintance

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil change Maintance

hello everyone,

I will be changing my oil this weekend and was wondering what would be the best oil/filter for my 2012 TL SH-AWD. I currently have 39k on it and got it at 38k. The system currently shows is at 20% oil life. Should I wait for it to go lower then that? Also at what percentage does the system tell you when you should change it? One last questions, are there any other fluid I should change at this time? I noticed my brake fluid has a really bad smell with a brownish color but not sure if that is normal.

Thank you guys for any feedback you can provide.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i'll never use anything other than OEM honda filters.

for oil, you have the 3.7L which is known to drink it pretty fast, though there is some discrepancy with how to properly read the amount of oil actually in the engine. personally, i don't think you can go wrong with mobil 1 synthetic, but there is some folklore about switching to synthetic oil from conventional oil..and if your engine is already consuming conventional oil the synthetic oil will make it consume more. i'm trying to decide what to do there, myself...

i did the diff fluid and MTF fluid when i first got my car (60k miles) and am going to do the transfer fluid next. diff fluid is the DPSF stuff that's acura branded (so you get charged a premium).

it never hurts to do a brake flush if you're so inclined. that's on my list also.

fresh fluids = healthy car.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
I just did all the extra fluids this week @ 24.7k miles-

Engine - ~5qt of 5w20 (IIRC) of Penzoil Platinum
Transfer Case - ~.7qt of 75w90 (I used Royal Purple)
Transmission - ~3.5qt of Acura ATF
Differential - ~3qt of Acura DPSF

I used a Mobil1 M-104 (the S2000 filter) and it seems to be just fine.

Coolant (if it's the Honda/Acura Blue) is good for ~100k miles. I'll probably flush my system at 50k.

Brake fluid you're probably fine on. It's always going to have a slight smell to it.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hornedfrog
i'll never use anything other than OEM honda filters.

for oil, you have the 3.7L which is known to drink it pretty fast, though there is some discrepancy with how to properly read the amount of oil actually in the engine. personally, i don't think you can go wrong with mobil 1 synthetic, but there is some folklore about switching to synthetic oil from conventional oil..and if your engine is already consuming conventional oil the synthetic oil will make it consume more. i'm trying to decide what to do there, myself...

i did the diff fluid and MTF fluid when i first got my car (60k miles) and am going to do the transfer fluid next. diff fluid is the DPSF stuff that's acura branded (so you get charged a premium).

it never hurts to do a brake flush if you're so inclined. that's on my list also.

fresh fluids = healthy car.

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I just did all the extra fluids this week @ 24.7k miles-

Engine - ~5qt of 5w20 (IIRC) of Penzoil Platinum
Transfer Case - ~.7qt of 75w90 (I used Royal Purple)
Transmission - ~3.5qt of Acura ATF
Differential - ~3qt of Acura DPSF

I used a Mobil1 M-104 (the S2000 filter) and it seems to be just fine.

Coolant (if it's the Honda/Acura Blue) is good for ~100k miles. I'll probably flush my system at 50k.

Brake fluid you're probably fine on. It's always going to have a slight smell to it.
Thanks for all the information Guys! i will go with the OEM Filter and and stick with the regular oil. I honestly thought going synthetic would help out a lot but it seems to only apply to certain vehicles. still learning the vehicle as this is my first Acura coming from a 2001 Honda Civic EX.