Oil Change Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:50 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Change Frequency

I see some of the posts and see people going 7-8000 mile between oil changes and/or relying on the oil life indicator. I am old school and have always changed the oil between 3-4000 miles. I am an loyal Honda man from 1982 and in the last 6 years have switched to Acura's have have never had any engine issues even with cars going up to 270000 miles.

I have a 2011 SH-AWD tech and it is approaching 3 K and I wanted to know what is the recommended first oil change and what are people really doing.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
just follow the oil life-when it gets to 15% it will show a code of what service needs to be done.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Personally when I owned my cars I would do them by 5K miles regardless of MID with Synthetic oil, now that I lease I take it down to when it nags me and let the dealer use whatever they have.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
follow the MID.
it takes in account of Revs and miles.

so if you like to open your car up and hit redline, it will decrease faster.
Drive like a grandpa and it could be 7000-10000miles before it reaches >15%
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
for atleast the last 15 years, honda has recommended oil change intervals under the normal driving conditions, at 6500 miles...i dont remember if thats schedual a or b...now that being said, i usually do my oil changes on the acura at 5k miles, since i do it myself its just easy for me to know when its time for me to change the oil and rotate the tires...

you cant go wrong with following the mid either, but you could go as high as 10k miles on a single oil change, which is not out of the norm either...

your only old school in the aspect that you bought into the oil companies recommendations as to when to buy more oil from them....
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Don't forget the MID mainly bases oil life remaining off of the number of cold-starts you do on the engine. This is by far the single leading cause of engine wear and tear, not revving the engine. When the car is warmed up, revving it high won't matter much because the oil is already flowing so well.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
My first oil change was 1.5K. After that it I change it every 4-5K
Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
I change my oil between 4K and 5K with mobil 1 syn. I personally wouldn't wait for the oil life indicator. The cleaner the oil the better. I have 95K on the car and it runs like it did the day I bought it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
No MID here, I just check the oil every once in a while and use my own judgement. Usually around 5-6000 miles, but this last one was shorter considering all the stop and go driving it's gotten the past while.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
You need to leave the factory oil in at least until the MID tells you to change it. It has special properties to enhance the break-in period. After that, I would still go by the MID or change it at least once a year, whichever comes first.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
You need to leave the factory oil in at least until the MID tells you to change it. It has special properties to enhance the break-in period. After that, I would still go by the MID or change it at least once a year, whichever comes first.
i am not going to say i totally dissagree with you about the break in oil, but there isnt a whole lot of breaking in going on past the first few hundred miles...that being said, back in the day i would change out the motor oil for a new motor during the first 600 miles, now i wait til 5k miles...but i am not going to wait for the mid to rack up 8000 miles for my break in oil....this is me, and not to be confused with me trying to tell people what to do with their car....
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Not another one of these...MOD?
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
The service guy at my dealership said: 1st oil change after 7500 miles, or when the MID tells you to. BUT.... in our weather conditions (Wisconsin) he recommends the 1st one after 5k, because of the high temperature fluctuations.
Thus I'll pop her cherry this Saturday and fill her up with fresh stuff.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Not another one of these...MOD?
I hear ya! Everybody's gonna do what they want anyways.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I've been on the same oil for the past 7K miles or so, had it changed in October. My MID shows 20% still, I'm going to change it sooner though.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
i am not going to say i totally dissagree with you about the break in oil, but there isnt a whole lot of breaking in going on past the first few hundred miles...that being said, back in the day i would change out the motor oil for a new motor during the first 600 miles, now i wait til 5k miles...but i am not going to wait for the mid to rack up 8000 miles for my break in oil....this is me, and not to be confused with me trying to tell people what to do with their car....
It used to be back in the day that you'd want to get out the factory oil pretty early. Both my motorcycles required oil changes at 600 miles when new but only every 7500 miles or 1 year after. However, I'm just going by what the manual says for the 3g-4g TL. I would agree with you that I would also find it difficult to go 8k before making a change. Bottom line - it's your car and your money. Change it when and with what satisfies you. I'm content with leaving mine in a little longer but then again I lease!
Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
It used to be back in the day that you'd want to get out the factory oil pretty early. Both my motorcycles required oil changes at 600 miles when new but only every 7500 miles or 1 year after. However, I'm just going by what the manual says for the 3g-4g TL. I would agree with you that I would also find it difficult to go 8k before making a change. Bottom line - it's your car and your money. Change it when and with what satisfies you. I'm content with leaving mine in a little longer but then again I lease!
Key word: LEASE!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Key word: LEASE!
I was told to change the oil for the first time in my ZR1 at 2,500 miles even though it comes with Mobile One Synthetic. I changed it in early November and drove it for about 500 miles before storing it for the winter. Many of my friends who have Z06, ZR1, 911 TT and Ferrari 599GTB and 430FF feel that changing the oil (including synthetic) should be done every 5,000 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first). They feel that it can't hurt to do it and it is easier to change the oil than it is to replace a $75,000 engine. Obviously the TL is nothing to those cars, but I still want to treat it as well as I can.

When I do change the oil on the new TL, my plan is to use Mobile One Synthetic for that too. You think this is over kill, either on the mileage interval or using synthetic? I am interested in feedback.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moneyman2011
I was told to change the oil for the first time in my ZR1 at 2,500 miles even though it comes with Mobile One Synthetic. I changed it in early November and drove it for about 500 miles before storing it for the winter. Many of my friends who have Z06, ZR1, 911 TT and Ferrari 599GTB and 430FF feel that changing the oil (including synthetic) should be done every 5,000 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first). They feel that it can't hurt to do it and it is easier to change the oil than it is to replace a $75,000 engine. Obviously the TL is nothing to those cars, but I still want to treat it as well as I can.

When I do change the oil on the new TL, my plan is to use Mobile One Synthetic for that too. You think this is over kill, either on the mileage interval or using synthetic? I am interested in feedback.
look for an oil that has a HTHS rate of 3.00 or better.
redline 5w-30 has a HTHS rate of 3.6
m1 0w-40 has a HTHS rate of i think 3.5-.6
Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by justnspace
look for an oil that has a HTHS rate of 3.00 or better.
redline 5w-30 has a HTHS rate of 3.6
m1 0w-40 has a HTHS rate of i think 3.5-.6

What is HTHS?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:41 PM

High Temp. High Sheer.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
The Sicilian

Again it is really to each his own. I don't tell anyone what to do. All I do is tell people what I do and have done with all my vehicles no matter what.
I learned at a very young age from an old mechanic (very good family friend) years ago who had just replaced the the cam in my 1981 Camaro (a Chevy?) and about $800 worth of motor work, again we are talking 80's that no matter what change your motor oil because it's like the blood in your body. Old Italian guy!
I have always bought new cars (except for the Mustang) and I change the oil at 1,000 miles and then every 3,000-4,000 miles.
I use regular grade oil no synthetic.

We've had the TL for 14 months and with 10,500 miles I've changed the oil 4 times.

But that's just me!
Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
hey jspagna1 - I like to change my oil about every 4k also - question - do you change the oil yourself or have the dealer do it?

- reason I'm asking - is about the maintenance minder - as my dealer was resetting the mtnx minder for the oil changes and at the same time clearing it (?) so long story short is at 19k miles I never saw the mtxn minder to change the rear diff.

I spoke to acura client services and from what I could understand - as they explained it - the maintenance minder computer works fine IF you wait for it to display codes before you service the car - they didn't have a good answer for me - as how I could change my oil before the car asked for an oil change and not affect the display of other maintenance codes down the line

best I could come up with - is to change the oil but not reset the maintenance minder until it displays on its own?? so maybe it ends up being reset every other oil change

so say you start off w/ 100% for oil life - change the oil down the road - like now I'm at 4k miles since the last oil change and the oil life is at 40% -

so now I change the oil - But do NOT reset the mtxn minder - that way it shows whatever codes are needed down the road - thats the plus
- the negative is the oil life will not be "true" (?)

acura client care basically said it works the way it does so maintenance items can be grouped together and you don't have to bring in the car for an oil change today and then 2 weeks later the car wants the rear diff changed

bottom line is from acura client care - they didn't have a good answer as how to change your oil more often than the car asks for and not miss some future mtxn codes - like my car not asking for the rear diff change

If someone can tell me different - thats great

I just want to be able to reset the oil life and not affect other maintenance codes - best I understand from acura client care - its all tied together - I even asked them to check it with an engineer w/ acura - and the next day after they checked the above is what I got from them.

sorry to steal the thread and for the length of this post - but since we are talking about oil here - I figure some of the posters to this thread are the ones who change their oil b4 the car mtxn minder says to do so
The following users liked this post:
Kingcredible (05-22-2019)
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Bigrich1974

I Use Amsoil, go either 1 year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by crxb
hey jspagna1 - I like to change my oil about every 4k also - question - do you change the oil yourself or have the dealer do it?

- reason I'm asking - is about the maintenance minder - as my dealer was resetting the mtnx minder for the oil changes and at the same time clearing it (?) so long story short is at 19k miles I never saw the mtxn minder to change the rear diff.

I spoke to acura client services and from what I could understand - as they explained it - the maintenance minder computer works fine IF you wait for it to display codes before you service the car - they didn't have a good answer for me - as how I could change my oil before the car asked for an oil change and not affect the display of other maintenance codes down the line

best I could come up with - is to change the oil but not reset the maintenance minder until it displays on its own?? so maybe it ends up being reset every other oil change

so say you start off w/ 100% for oil life - change the oil down the road - like now I'm at 4k miles since the last oil change and the oil life is at 40% -

so now I change the oil - But do NOT reset the mtxn minder - that way it shows whatever codes are needed down the road - thats the plus
- the negative is the oil life will not be "true" (?)

acura client care basically said it works the way it does so maintenance items can be grouped together and you don't have to bring in the car for an oil change today and then 2 weeks later the car wants the rear diff changed

bottom line is from acura client care - they didn't have a good answer as how to change your oil more often than the car asks for and not miss some future mtxn codes - like my car not asking for the rear diff change

If someone can tell me different - thats great

I just want to be able to reset the oil life and not affect other maintenance codes - best I understand from acura client care - its all tied together - I even asked them to check it with an engineer w/ acura - and the next day after they checked the above is what I got from them.

sorry to steal the thread and for the length of this post - but since we are talking about oil here - I figure some of the posters to this thread are the ones who change their oil b4 the car mtxn minder says to do so
I never take my car to the Dealer unless my mechanic tells me to. I'm done with changing my own oil and brake jobs etc. I did that when I was young and had no money and had to work on my previous Mustang.
I have been going to the same place for 20+ years. The old Italian guy had a partner and when he retired I kept going to them.
He has two sons that work for him and his other son is a city cop which is also a good thing for me.

Not sure I have the answer for you, but you bring up a very good point. No matter who or when you change the oil in the car, the MID has to be reset so you can monitor the oil life. So you would think it would not effect the other indicators? For a system that suposed to be so sophisticated, that makes no sense.
Bottom line is you should fall back to the owners manual for reference. I also do that with my other vehicles regardless. This way you get a general idea of when certain maintenances should take place.
I'm old school so I really go by mileage and not electronic indicators and I always ask my mechanic who I can trust. Don't get me wrong I have to pay my mechanic but I know he is not out to screw me as I know about cars as well and I know he does'nt do any unnecessary work.
And yes the benefits are that he does do some things for me like doing electrical work on my cars which is not my strong point and he won't charge me for it.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by jspagna1
I never take my car to the Dealer unless my mechanic tells me to. I'm done with changing my own oil and brake jobs etc. I did that when I was young and had no money and had to work on my previous Mustang.
I have been going to the same place for 20+ years. The old Italian guy had a partner and when he retired I kept going to them.
He has two sons that work for him and his other son is a city cop which is also a good thing for me.

Not sure I have the answer for you, but you bring up a very good point. No matter who or when you change the oil in the car, the MID has to be reset so you can monitor the oil life. So you would think it would not effect the other indicators? For a system that suposed to be so sophisticated, that makes no sense.
Bottom line is you should fall back to the owners manual for reference. I also do that with my other vehicles regardless. This way you get a general idea of when certain maintenances should take place.
I'm old school so I really go by mileage and not electronic indicators and I always ask my mechanic who I can trust. Don't get me wrong I have to pay my mechanic but I know he is not out to screw me as I know about cars as well and I know he does'nt do any unnecessary work.
And yes the benefits are that he does do some things for me like doing electrical work on my cars which is not my strong point and he won't charge me for it.
we used to take our cars to a mechanic that has his own business. He was excellent. When he passed away his sons that also worked there took over. They ended up selling it as they could not get along. They both wanted to be the "Big" boss. I now take my 06 tsx to a acura dealer that I think is excellent. They do not try to sell me unnecessary work and do not overcharge. My car has 120,000+problem free miles. I was looking over the invoices on my car. In the first year I had the oil changed (following the MID) 7 times.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
my MID took me to 9600 miles on the factory fill till the A16 popped... I sent the oil into Blackstone for analysis - but needless to say that's a bit of mileage off the first fill.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
my MID took me to 9600 miles on the factory fill till the A16 popped... I sent the oil into Blackstone for analysis - but needless to say that's a bit of mileage off the first fill.
What did the analysis show?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
I sent it in last Friday... we shall see here soon.

I'll be sure to post the results when I get it back.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to follow the mid when I had my civic, it went down to 10-15% every 5k miles. I drive about 10k per year, but its probably 80-85% city driving. Seeing that my driving habit's don't change much, and the TLs first oil change was at about 5k, I'm just going to change the oil every 5k now.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Did my 1st oil change on Saturday after 5k. Window Sticker suggests next oil change at 10k.

So 5k Intervals it is, at least for my Acura Dealer.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by TinyRK
Did my 1st oil change on Saturday after 5k. Window Sticker suggests next oil change at 10k.

I take my acura to acura dealers in NC and PA. The dealer in NC puts a sticker stating the next mileage due (3,750 miles) and the PA puts 15%. When we took our car to the acura dealer in Reno, NV they also had 15%. When it gets to 15% there will be a code of what service is due next.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
50% at 5K

Originally Posted by TinyRK

My first oil change was at 6K miles. I now have 11K and my indicator reads 50%. Most of my driving is on San Diego freeways. Why only 50%? Must be those EXTREME weather changes and temperature swings we get in San Diego, 60 at night, 70 during the day!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:37 PM
7th Gear

Amsiol 5k intervals
Old 03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
And the results....

Last edited by jnc2000; 03-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't know why they posted 7700 miles in their report... anyway the factory fill was 9596 miles. :wow: --- and they recommended changing it sooner.

Soooo this beggs the question for all the long highway drivers (us 40k+ yr) drivers.... do we listen to the MID, or change it sooner?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
So your results show that changing oil every 3k is a waste of time and money.
I know folks here and others will kept on changing every 3k no matter what. By the way, I change mine every 5-5.5k.

I also go to the dealer to do my oil changes. Never had a problem.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's another data point. For the past 30k miles I've been changing the oil pretty much at 10k miles intervals as per the MID. It was all highway miles as I commute up to Boston every week from NJ for work.

Well, the project ended and my last oil change was at 30k just when I rolled off the project. Since then I haven't used the car much other than local sub-10 mile trips. Guess what? At 30,200 miles the oil life dropped to 90%!!!! I was averaging 1000 miles per 10% on highway. Now after 200 miles I drop 10%????!!!

I will keep monitoring it.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Just performed my most recent "A" service last Saturday, which was 9,900 after the previous service. By my math, I was within 100 miles of the MID going from 5% to "change it now!". As long as I follow the MID guidance, I have no issues.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
3.6k miles and oil life at 20%. Still original oil in car since purchase back in Aug/2010

Quick Reply: Oil Change Frequency