Oh Man, I really need your help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh Man, I really need your help!!!!!!!!

I drove the 2010 6 speed stick. I really fell in love. But I want to wait at least one more year. I don't want to buy 1st year anything.

Now for the help.... PLEASE talk me out of this!! I need to hear your response here. I really want to wait, but I am weak. I love a new car. My 06 is in stellar shape. But still..... SH-AWD! So please help me wait. Post your input here about why to wait. NOT why I should buy it. OK??? ok.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiritman
I drove the 2010 6 speed stick. I really fell in love. But I want to wait at least one more year. I don't want to buy 1st year anything.

Now for the help.... PLEASE talk me out of this!! I need to hear your response here. I really want to wait, but I am weak. I love a new car. My 06 is in stellar shape. But still..... SH-AWD! So please help me wait. Post your input here about why to wait. NOT why I should buy it. OK??? ok.
The 4G is in its 2nd year of production. Many 1st year glitches should have been worked out by now.

Yes, the manual is new in the 2010 model. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if history holds true, most of the troubles Honda had in the past were earlier automatic transmissions.

Go for it! The 6MT with SH-AWD is truly awesome in terms of performance and inclement traction. Esp since I noticed you are in MN, you can enjoy the TL 6MT year round. Tis the main reason I got what I got
Old 10-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I wouldn't buy it because it's such a sexy beast of a car with a ton of power on tap that you probably couldn't handle and its looks will get panties thrown at you so much you'd spend more time with the ladies than in the car. You'd probably not be able to handle the shear awesomeness of the car either because you're not that much of a man...
Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see...

• It's not that great at killing zombies. The power plenum is plastic after all.
  • It's kind of big, so it takes a while to wax.
  • You're not going to fit anymore dead bodies in the trunk since the 4th gen SH-AWD and the 3rd gen have the same trunk space.

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I wouldn't buy it because it's such a sexy beast of a car with a ton of power on tap that you probably couldn't handle and its looks will get panties thrown at you so much you'd spend more time with the ladies than in the car. You'd probably not be able to handle the shear awesomeness of the car either because you're not that much of a man...
Personally, I find it a problem that I can't fit a fourth chick in the middle of the back seat. Also, the center console makes road head kind of awkward.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
If you wait until next year that will likely be only one more year away from a probable type s. There is no major first year production issues on the 09, as it is one of the best first year builds by Acura ever and other than the tranny the 10' is actually in it's 2nd year. As mentioned, Honda doesn't usually have problems with their manuals and this car had an extra year in R&D.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Hell with that..buy now..u may not live to see next year...lol......ps..life is short
Old 10-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by free598
Hell with that..buy now..u may not live to see next year...lol......ps..life is short
yup, i went to work today and found out that my boss was critically injured in a car accident coming back from a wedding. Her husband was killed and her son, the driver was unhurt but was arrested for vehicular homicide due to driving while intoxicated. Moral of the story is what free598 said. If you like something and you can afford it, buy it!!
Personally, I live by what Free598 said since I was diagonsed with multiple sclerosis. I can care less what my situation will be at 65. I may never live to see it.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Um.... no beef here... only reason i would wait, is the usual 1st year glitches

Also, the 2012 (still two years away) may come with a refresehed look... usually different headlights, accents, wheels and grille/moldings
Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
Mid-cycle refreshes aren't usually that much, and the parts are interchangeable (cosmetically speaking). There shouldn't be any major first-year glitches, I have a first-year Accord, and it's 7 years old and still runs like a champ. Shouldn't have any major problems with your car.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Man of God.....

Cool

Come on now!! I know you guy's are having fun with me. But I need your help!!! I am getting weaker by the min. Then couple it with the fact of $18.5k for my 2006 trade in. I am falling fast! I would like the type "S" in the MMC. That's one good reason to wait. RIGHT?
Come on now HELP ME!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Hmm...

Powering through a corner, waiting for the imminent understeer, oh wait, there is none, because of SH-AWD, so you can use the 300 horsepower to power out of the corner and continue on your way. And all this for $18.5K off sticker because of my trade in, the other Acura.

Sorry, what were you saying?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Drifting

From a historical stand point, a TLS or MMC will most likely appear in 12' but who really knows, anything can happen at almost anytime but there are no garauntees. If you plan to buy and not lease that is more of a reason not to wait excpet for a few months if you want the best possible deal.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 10-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you're going to wait for something better, you'll might as well wait forever. There's ALWAYS something better tomorrow. However, it's all about enjoying what's available now and not regretting it.

If you really like the 4G, get it, enjoy it and don't worry about what's coming down the road.

The 4G Type-S is pure speculation at this point. Judging by the direction in philosophy from Acura lately, I would bet that there won't be a Type-S anytime soon, if at all. And given the mediocre sales numbers since it's launch, coupled with a bad economy, a dedicated 4G Type-S is extremely doubtful at this stage.

So go buy a 4G now and enjoy it!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PetesTL
If you're going to wait for something better, you'll might as well wait forever. There's ALWAYS something better tomorrow. However, it's all about enjoying what's available now and not regretting it.

If you really like the 4G, get it, enjoy it and don't worry about what's coming down the road.

The 4G Type-S is pure speculation at this point. Judging by the direction in philosophy from Acura lately, I would bet that there won't be a Type-S anytime soon, if at all. And given the mediocre sales numbers since it's launch, coupled with a bad economy, a dedicated 4G Type-S is extremely doubtful at this stage.

So go buy a 4G now and enjoy it!
Could be, of course you could also argue that an early Type-S version of the 4th Generation would give Acura an opportunity to begin to correct the styling on the 4th generation which has met with a less than warm reception both by the automotive press and public alike. A face-lifted TL Type-S coupled with the V6 TSX could just be what it takes to turn around declining sales. I was in a Doctors office reading one of the 2010 model issues of a major publication (Motor Trend I think, I was just passing the time) they did a favorable review of the 6MT performance, but finished up with the statement "Acuras' best seller gets hit with the ugly stick". Acura has got to realize that they need to do something.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
dude go for it! if you get a good trade on your TL why wait?

like pete said, something better will show up tomorrow so you might as well buy it now.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
I have been waiting forever to buy another car, and frankly, if you dont HAVE to wait, then don't. I hate to tell you this, but something will come up, if you're not careful, that is what has happened to me... If it is not gonna put you in a cash flow strain and your trade in WILL be less next year...etc..you know where I am going... I know I have been NO help... but a recession is the BEST time to purchase things that you can purchase for less... it will not last forever.

Rick/ Sith
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
I have been waiting forever to buy another car, and frankly, if you dont HAVE to wait, then don't. I hate to tell you this, but something will come up, if you're not careful, that is what has happened to me... If it is not gonna put you in a cash flow strain and your trade in WILL be less next year...etc..you know where I am going... I know I have been NO help... but a recession is the BEST time to purchase things that you can purchase for less... it will not last forever.

Rick/ Sith
Agreed.

Plus, you can write off the sales tax on new auto purchases (until the end of 2009 calender year).
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Agreed.

Plus, you can write off the sales tax on new auto purchases (until the end of 2009 calender year).
Zing....
Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Agreed.

You can also write off the Excise tax (if you're in one of those states that has that also....stupid MA).
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by chaiwala
yup, i went to work today and found out that my boss was critically injured in a car accident coming back from a wedding. Her husband was killed and her son, the driver was unhurt but was arrested for vehicular homicide due to driving while intoxicated. Moral of the story is what free598 said. If you like something and you can afford it, buy it!!
Personally, I live by what Free598 said since I was diagonsed with multiple sclerosis. I can care less what my situation will be at 65. I may never live to see it.
damn chai... life definitely is too short not to enjoy it.

Spiritman.. I agree that you should wait for the Type-S.. but it never hurts to see what kind of deal you can work out
Old 10-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Instructor

i have a reason for you not to buy it yet..... because i'll be f****** JEALOUS!
Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Man of God.....

Cool

Originally Posted by Majofo
damn chai... life definitely is too short not to enjoy it.

Spiritman.. I agree that you should wait for the Type-S.. but it never hurts to see what kind of deal you can work out
Thank you, at least one of you heard me. I want to wait. When I got my 2006 there was no type "S". Well as you know next year. There it was. It's just that it's KILLING ME!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spiritman
Thank you, at least one of you heard me. I want to wait. When I got my 2006 there was no type "S". Well as you know next year. There it was. It's just that it's KILLING ME!!!!!!
There is no Type-S right now. Nothing was announced. No prototype. No conceptual design. Nada. Even if a Type-S is announced today, it'll take at least a good 2-3 years before it shows up in dealerships. Besides, the 4G 6MT is the "unofficial" Type-S according to most folks over at Acura. If you want to wait, then wait, it's your money. Whining about it isn't going to do you any good. Make a decision and stick with it.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I strongly suggest you wait.

That way, mine will be just that much more exclusive.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Originally Posted by chaiwala
am sorry to here that...life is too short..i have a friend who just die of cancer at age 31....so if u want that TL N u can afford it get it
Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Um.... no beef here... only reason i would wait, is the usual 1st year glitches

Also, the 2012 (still two years away) may come with a refresehed look... usually different headlights, accents, wheels and grille/moldings
when 2012 TL gets here an i like it i will just trade my 09 in for it....LOL
Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by free598
am sorry to here that...life is too short..i have a friend who just die of cancer at age 31....so if u want that TL N u can afford it get it
Amen brother.

31 is TOO DAM YOUNG. Enjoy life to the fullest.

I traded in a cramped 09 Lexus IS I absolutely hated; I lost a good few thousand of dollars, but I have no regrets. None. No, I take that back. The only regret was I wished the TL 6MT came out sooner.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Amen brother.

31 is TOO DAM YOUNG. Enjoy life to the fullest.

I traded in a cramped 09 Lexus IS I absolutely hated; I lost a good few thousand of dollars, but I have no regrets. None. No, I take that back. The only regret was I wished the TL 6MT came out sooner.
its only MONEY...it comes N goes......
Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

You're only speculating that there wil be a Type-S down the road. If there is, trade it in. On the chance that there isn't, get a 4G and enjoy it. Who knows whether or not there will be a Type-S down the road? My vote is there won't, because there are already two engine/drivetrain choices for the TL anyways. Besides, a base TL can easily beat a TL-S with some mild engine modifications, which will cost you less than the difference between the two.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The winter is fast approaching, and you live in Minneapolis? AWD wouldn't hurt you know
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
I strongly suggest you wait.

That way, mine will be just that much more exclusive.
The own the only one I'd consider getting rid of my 3G for. Maybe I'll wait till you're tired of it and buy it from you used!

lol...wait, did you get umber interior?

PS...I doubt they will come out with a type S if it hasn't already been announced. I'm pretty sure by 2005 or 06 there were already talks of the upcoming type s for the 3G. We're in a different economy and putting a type s and presumable sticker price hike probably wouldn't be a good move. Now, waiting for the 2nd wave of the model (honda does 4 year cycles) design, that's a different story. I love my 04 6 speed which was sold as a "sport" model, but there's no arguing that refreshed look and technology would have been well worth the wait.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People talk about the TL-S but they forget that the TL SH-awd is their Type S with a different moniker. Acura already has 2 varieties of the TL and I doubt they will be making a 3rd with the Type S variety. You are most likely looking at the 2 models for the next 5 years.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Drifting

And if you wait for the possible type s or just plain MMC in two years then you're probably only two more years away from the next generation. You will be waiting forever, get it now. I see where you are coming from but you will get at least two years out of the 10' with no real changes, it's not like something new is expected next year. The chances of unexpected changes coming out in a short period of time will be worse if you wait until next year.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
And if you wait for the possible type s or just plain MMC in two years then you're probably only two more years away from the next generation. You will be waiting forever, get it now. I see where you are coming from but you will get at least two years out of the 10' with no real changes, it's not like something new is expected next year. The chances of unexpected changes coming out in a short period of time will be worse if you wait until next year.
U R SO TRUE.......
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Dealer Technician

I've already waited a year for this car. Since they announced that the 6mt would be available as a 2010 model I've been counting the days and got the first one that came into the dealership. I thought my 2006 6mt was a great car, but this is so much better.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only reason why I might possibly wait is for the 6-sp auto in the 2011 model. But if you're going for the manual, then it's a moot point...get it now.