The Official 5G TL Dissussion Thread (all 5G threads will be merged here)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

***Mod Edit 1/9/12***

Personally, I think it's a little early (not to mention there are other "Acura News" threads), but, regardless, if the 4G community want to discuss aspects of the 5G TL, let's put the discussions in one easy-to-find place.

(That's the idea anyhow.)

***Mod Edit***

Any ideas on when this will come out? It appears that it is usually 4-5 years for each generation. 2013, 2014?

Last edited by Bearcat94; 01-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
If Acura holds to its current 5 year cycle it will probably come in late 2013 as a 2014 model.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I was curious if there are any solid rumors yet for a release date for the 5G TL.

I am glad Acura has improved the front end a bit on the current TL - at least they are listening. And as was mentioned in one of the reviews, with the next generation, it will be time for an overhaul on the navi system.

I liked the quality and the tech of the 2G - thought it was tremendous bang for the buck and the interior style wasn't flashy but it was consistent and had more of a luxury feel than the 4G. The 2G is about as boring as can be on the exterior so I like that they spiced it up a bit on the 3G. The 3G was a huge leap forward in style for the exterior. I think the "silver" accent makes it look a little cheap on the inside - a little too much bling for something that already has many buttons and lights - it really doesn't add to the tech on display but adds a chinseyness(sp) to it.

The 4G was an interesting experiment that some people actually liked although as most reviewers pointed out it wasn't as popular as previous models and the economy didn't help. Perhaps, if Acura thinks there is enough demand for an "edgy" vehicle they could make a new ED model but I'm guessing it wasn't that popular since they tried to refine the current TL to improve sales.

I think the 3G is still the best looking TL to date and if I my 2G wasn't in such great shape, I would have gladly bought the 3G. I'm still extremely pleased with what Acura achieved with the 2G and 3G so I'm looking forward to the 5G (not every swing can be out of the park).

Last edited by Bearcat94; 01-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard at my dealership there is a twin turbo V8 coming in the new TL.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandals
I heard at my dealership there is a twin turbo V8 coming in the new TL.

me too, damn rumors spread fast!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Only 125K for the Turbo x2 V8 version.. I put a deposit down to get the f1rst one!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Trust no one ! Everything is a lie until we actually see the car !

Still remember that "Confirmed 10+hp for 2012 TL" claimed to be from an Acura dealership !?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I heard it will be available in black
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard it will be rwd. Since that tornado that hit a little while ago, they are changing things.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
oh and they made it a convertible like the new IS

so now its a hardtop convertible..

its called the TL SH-AWD-C i believe..

anyone heard of this? i got it from the dealership a few days ago
The following users liked this post:
Saved by the TL (01-11-2012)
Old 03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking the less than popular reviews on the 4 might actually be a very good thing for the 5. Acura certainly has shown with previous models they aren't shy about quality. 3 and 2G models had some impressive electronics that were ahead of their competition including Lexus.

It certainly would be great if it was once again Acura TL 5G that sets a standard for quality and technology and perhaps in style. I think the 3G was a very appreciated move forward for Acura that was a little more accepted in style than the previous or next gen. The 4G might be contemporary art to some but there is a reason why Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael are names that will never go away and names like Beasley or Suvero will not be spoken in the same breath. There are certainly those who like the less popular or contemporary or contraversial - that is why mime schools by day and interpretive dance studios by night still exist.

I think the 5G may really have more of what many of us want as the best way to learn a lesson is to make a mistake or two. The big question for me is how soon can we get our hands on a 5G that brings back the enthusiasm so many of us have for Acura.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by boe_d

I think the 5G may really have more of what many of us want as the best way to learn a lesson is to make a mistake or two. The big question for me is how soon can we get our hands on a 5G that brings back the enthusiasm so many of us have for Acura.
The 5G will be at least 2.5 years away from now. With the standard 5-year Acura product cycle, the pre-MMC 4G TL has lasted for exactly 2.5 years, and thus the MMC 4G TL will be on track for another 2.5 years, provided that Honda hasn't decided to lengthen the TL product cycle to beyond the standard 5 years.

With the unfortunate conditions that all Japanese auto companies are in right now, it'll be a miracle for Honda to fulfill all the product schedules that were planned before the disasters struck.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crxb
bring back the 3G's cassette player
I wouldn't mind if they brought back the 3G's exterior.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I was going to move this thread for you to the 5G Community, but............

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I was going to move this thread for you to the 5G Community, but............

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

LOL.. soon.. soon
Old 03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Dayum I can't wait till the 5G comes out...Especially if it's a hard top convertible!!! I love my 4G, but always ready for an upgrade
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Quick question...I'm fairly new to AcuraZine....How do i change my avatar on my profile guys
??
Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by George8a
Quick question...I'm fairly new to AcuraZine....How do i change my avatar on my profile guys
??
Click on Settings, then Edit Avatar

Welcome to Acurzine!.. now hide your credit cards!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
The thread started as a request for "solid rumors" (whatever that means) about the 5G. Apparently, none of the posters have a clue, and neither do I. So, here ya go: It will have a slightly larger wheelbase and a couple of more amenities to better compete with the 5 series and the A6. And Honda will ditch the RL.

One thing that I like about the Acura brand is that Honda is not afraid to experiment with it. While Honda has marketed the Civic and Accord since the 70s in the US, Acura models (Integra, Vigor, CL for example.) come and go. Who knows, the 4.5G TL could be the end of the line for that model. Unless the 5G becomes the flagship.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jim 2004
The thread started as a request for "solid rumors" (whatever that means) about the 5G. Apparently, none of the posters have a clue, and neither do I. So, here ya go: It will have a slightly larger wheelbase and a couple of more amenities to better compete with the 5 series and the A6. And Honda will ditch the RL.

One thing that I like about the Acura brand is that Honda is not afraid to experiment with it. While Honda has marketed the Civic and Accord since the 70s in the US, Acura models (Integra, Vigor, CL for example.) come and go. Who knows, the 4.5G TL could be the end of the line for that model. Unless the 5G becomes the flagship.
They sure weren't afraid with the 4G Boomerang sensation and got their arses kicked with low TL sales!

Before the new 5 is released, Acura most likely will come out with a Type S version as they always do to increase sales on the out going model. Being the 4G was such a flop, I would think they might release a Type S by October.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
honestly. i would expect to see a hybrid or (doubtfully) a f/i engine.

expect a slightly larger car, with a higher price tag. Acura is really pushing for the TL to be in equivalent to the BMW 5, MB E, Lexus GS etc...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
honestly. i would expect to see a hybrid or (doubtfully) a f/i engine.

expect a slightly larger car, with a higher price tag. Acura is really pushing for the TL to be in equivalent to the BMW 5, MB E, Lexus GS etc...
The TL is already larger then the 5 series....
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is my guess as to where they are headed with the TL.

- TL name gets dropped and replaced with something new, Legend?
- current body work hard edges go softer everywhere
- simpler interfaces with larger fonts
- vehicle looses weight
- 3.7 gets dropped
- manual transmission disappears
- 6 spd autos remain
- New smaller displacement engine appears with ultra high fuel economy
- AWD gets dropped
- Fuel efficiency goes way up something closing in on upper 30's
- wheels get pushed out to edges more
- bunches of the buttons disappear from the center stack all together
and is replaced by a smooth surface
- nav becomes standard along with backup camera
- touch screen returns
- Car remains FWD
- Bi-Xenon returns
- rain sensing wipers
- lane departure warning system
- adaptive cruise control
- panorama roof appears
- will be much quieter
- low level tl will have a plushy ride
- dramatic price drop
Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
HTML Code:
The TL is already larger then the 5 series....
Smaller wheelbase than the 5, though.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
wakattack ... y do u think they will drop the shawd? i think that for sure will stay as an option ... also i hope they dont drop the 6mt as its one of the few "japanese" sedans u can get with a mt
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
wakattack ... y do u think they will drop the shawd? i think that for sure will stay as an option ... also i hope they dont drop the 6mt as its one of the few "japanese" sedans u can get with a mt
Hopefully they will keep it. Since they already have it developed. But TL sales are disappointing, the 6mt and shawd make up only a small fraction of the sales with the vast majority being 2wd automatics. If fuel prices stay high, I think there will be a trend away from the horse power wars, and more towards fuel economy, and even luxury models will be affected. Acura takes some bold risks, everyone here is mostly a performance enthusiast, but I don't necessarily think the average TL buyer which is generally older than the crowd here is in to the performance side as much as we are. TL ownership seems to be getting older. But everyone here talks about greater horsepower, RWD and all kinds of typical stuff we can all rally around. But I wanted to play devils advocate if you will.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Acura TL 5th Generation Expectations

Being the 2012 was launched early last month, it reminds me of back in 2002 when the 2003 TL was offered for sale in the spring of 2002 and the 3rd generation 2004 launched in November of 2003 if I remember correctly.

With that said, if it were my quess, I would think we may see a 5th generation 2014 in late 2013 IMHO to win back market share lost since the 4th generation launch.

So being the TL may soon be here, what would you like to see improved, added, deleted, or changed for the 5th generation TL? I'm sure Acura follows this site and may take Qs from it.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:41 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think it's pretty clear that Acura intends to continue the TL's move upmarket. They will continue to add luxury features and other elements of build quality to position it as a worthy competitor to the A6, 5 and E. Which, of course, leads to the next logical question -- what will become of the RL? It will either cease to exist or it will become an all-out assault on the creme de la creme of luxo-sedans, the 7 series, S-class and A8. It will have to come with a capable 8 cylinder and at least a 7-speed auto to hope to be taken seriously in that crowd and even then it's marketability is going to be questionable at best. Folks shelling out north of $70k tend to be brand snobs but you never know. Hyundai is trying to crack the elity fraternity with it's soon-to-be-released Equus. Look at the Genesis. Its sold like hotcakes. And deservedly so.

And, of course, the TSX will move to become a legitmate competitor to the 3, A4 and C. It will absolutely HAVE TO lose that awful, thrashy 4 banger if it has any chance to compete in this league. The design is awesome. It's a genuinely handsome car and with some upgraded interior materials and switchgear (and the all-important more refined engine) it could be a real threat to its German counterparts. It, too, will need a standard 6(+) speed auto.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 04-16-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
and the 3rd generation 2004 launched in November of 2003 if I remember correctly.
The 3G began manufacturing in September '03 and was being sold in October (I bought mine on October 25, 2003. )

As for the rest of your post, if they move the TL more upscale, I'll be looking to something else, as I would get no value from it anymore.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
6G TLX-S

Power, more hp. Make available an option engine with at least 330hp to get on par with the G37.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Power, more hp. Make available an option engine with at least 330hp to get on par with the G37.
I was surprised that didnt happen with the 2012.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I think it's pretty clear that Acura intends to continue the TL's move upmarket. They will continue to add luxury features and other elements of build quality to position it as a worthy competitor to the A6, 5 and E. Which, of course, leads to the next logical question -- what will become of the RL? It will either cease to exist or it will become an all-out assault on the creme de la creme of luxo-sedans, the 7 series, S-class and A8. It will have to come with a capable 8 cylinder and at least a 7-speed auto to hope to be taken seriously in that crowd and even then it's marketability is going to be questionable at best. Folks shelling out north of $70k tend to be brand snobs but you never know. Hyundai is trying to crack the elity fraternity with it's soon-to-be-released Equus. Look at the Genesis. Its sold like hotcakes. And deservedly so.

And, of course, the TSX will move to become a legitmate competitor to the 3, A4 and C. It will absolutely HAVE TO lose that awful, thrashy 4 banger if it has any chance to compete in this league. The design is awesome. It's a genuinely handsome car and with some upgraded interior materials and switchgear (and the all-important more refined engine) it could be a real threat to its German counterparts. It, too, will need a standard 6(+) speed auto.
I definitely agree that the 5G TL will be more of a competitor to the 5, E, and A6. It's moving upmarket briskly comparing the 2012 to the 3G. The RL will fade away into oblivion. The Japanese cannot compete with the Germans for the true luxury barges. People buying at that price point are too concerned about brand appeal. Lexus does a valiant job with it's LS but it doesn't compare in prestige to the S, 7, or A8.

The TSX will also move up market. It will probably get a 6 speed automatic. It already comes with a V6 option. I think keeping it's base a V4 is fine. It's an entry level luxury care after all. What it should also get is SH-AWD matted to the V6 with a little better interior refinement.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
My guess is that the TL will simply take the place of the RL. With each model change, the TL has gone up a notch in price. As a 2012 a AWD TL with Tech and Advance is now in the mid 40+ price range. Not that far behind the RL. I think the TSX will assume the position of where the TL currently sits and a new entry level car will be introduced built around the Honda Civic. I also have read that the NSX might return to the fold as well. Anyway, that's my take on the future. Really, no one knows what's going to happen except the executives at Honda.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
I agree it looks like all the cars are moving up one step. It looks like the TL is taking the place of the RL and might go up against the 5-series, A6 etc. and the RL will become a full-size sedan.

I'm hoping Acura goes with a completely new design language, and a new line of engines. The J-series is kind of like Michael Schumacher. Great at one point, nothing special anymore.

It would be nice if they could add some lightness as well.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:25 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Qwikhas
I was surprised that didnt happen with the 2012.
It too was surprised that not even a 5hp boost for the 2012.

It is highly likely that Honda is unable to squeeze out any extra hp with the aging J-series V6 family, with it's stubbornness to incorporate fuel direct injection technology which has been proven so successful with all other top auto makers.

That's why there is always news of Honda working on a new generation of V6 engines, to replace the end-of-life J-series V6's.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Linmk2
My guess is that the TL will simply take the place of the RL. With each model change, the TL has gone up a notch in price. As a 2012 a AWD TL with Tech and Advance is now in the mid 40+ price range. Not that far behind the RL. I think the TSX will assume the position of where the TL currently sits and a new entry level car will be introduced built around the Honda Civic. I also have read that the NSX might return to the fold as well. Anyway, that's my take on the future. Really, no one knows what's going to happen except the executives at Honda.
I have always been doubtful about the existence of the RL sedan. Especially after the release of the beautified 2012 SH-AWD TL, it becomes even harder to justify that $5K-8K price premium for the RL when compared to the TL.

The RL sedan must be way more powerful and way more advanced than the TL, in order to have true meaning to exist.

There is really no point of keeping the RL sedan line, unless the new car has a V8 engine or a 350+hp V6 engine option in order to exceed or even to compete with the competitors.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
It too was surprised that not even a 5hp boost for the 2012.

It is highly likely that Honda is unable to squeeze out any extra hp with the aging J-series V6 family, with it's stubbornness to incorporate fuel direct injection technology which has been proven so successful with all other top auto makers.

That's why there is always news of Honda working on a new generation of V6 engines, to replace the end-of-life J-series V6's.
I'm not surpised about that at all. Honda and Acura has been more about MPG than horsepower these past few years and they managed to improve that on the 12.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
What I would like to see and I think this maybe far fetched for Acura is bring on a rear wheel drive and keep the all wheel drive version. Design a Type S with rear wheel and 330-350 horsepower. Have a sport switch for a firmer ride and longer gear engagement for higher RPMs between shifts then flip it to luxury for basic cruising. Ditch the front wheel drive!!! Also have a staggered wheel design for the Type S like all other competitors building a sport version. Acura, build it and they will come!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
I have always been doubtful about the existence of the RL sedan. Especially after the release of the beautified 2012 SH-AWD TL, it becomes even harder to justify that $5K-8K price premium for the RL when compared to the TL.

The RL sedan must be way more powerful and way more advanced than the TL, in order to have true meaning to exist.

There is really no point of keeping the RL sedan line, unless the new car has a V8 engine or a 350+hp V6 engine option in order to exceed or even to compete with the competitors.
even if they dont put a v8 in the RL, i doubt they will ever stop the car as its sold around the world as the honda legend. however, the tl is only a north american car. here i agree with you the RL financially doesnt make sense as a TL can be had with all the same options for cheaper, but in other parts of the world, they dont have the same optiosn
Old 04-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
The 3G began manufacturing in September '03 and was being sold in October (I bought mine on October 25, 2003. )

As for the rest of your post, if they move the TL more upscale, I'll be looking to something else, as I would get no value from it anymore.
I think the bottom line for me is that I love my Acura's as they are sporty, luxurious enough for me at the right price. Everytime I look at the Lexus, they are too dead for my liking and the cost to get a comparable car is way more costly. Lexus is just to me not in the same class as Acura. But if they go too upscale I will look elsewhere too.

Quick Reply: The Official 5G TL Dissussion Thread (all 5G threads will be merged here)