Odd crackling sounds passenger side windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 10:33 AM
KRN
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd crackling sounds passenger side windshield

I am new here, hello! I have a '09 Acura TL-tech with only 74k miles on it which I've owned since 2012 and I am the 2nd owner. This car has been very good to me and I still love it as much as the day I purchased it!

I intend to call the service manager tomorrow at my local Acura dealer but wondering what this new oddity could possibly be:

I was on a highway traveling between 70-75 miles per hour in 28 degree weather (but not a windy day at all). All of a sudden, I started hearing rapid crackling noises which seemed to be coming from the passenger side vertical border of the windshield. It sounded exactly like small hail hitting the windshield, however, there was zero hail, snow, ice, or any precipitation going on! It was completely calm and dry weather.
​​​​​​
Luckily, I had a passenger with me who heard it too and felt along the border of the windshield and felt no air. It started increasing in sound and I became concerned enough to get off the highway and take an alternate/slower route the rest of the way home and to my surprise - as my speed decreased, so did the sounds. The slower I drove, the less and less I heard the sounds.

Any ideas what this could be???
Thank you for any input!
Old 12-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I my case it was a long thin piece of the rubber gasket/trim peeling off and flapping in the wind.
I just pulled it off completely and noise disappeared.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:47 PM
KRN
4th Gear

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by reorge
same thing happened to me. I my case it was a long thin piece of the rubber gasket/trim peeling off and flapping in the wind.
I just pulled it off completely and noise disappeared.
guess what??? You were right! It was dark when this happened and hadn't bothered to check yet based on your problem and sure enough, there is the piece of rubber loose along that side of the windshield! I didn't pull it off yet.

Can i ask - is that something that should be replaced to maintain the integrity of the windshield? I mean, obviously it was there for a purpose originally, right?

Thank you again so much! I probably never would've thought about that. Imagine you just happened to see my post today! You're an angel i suppose 😇
Old 12-20-2020, 08:55 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
You can tear it off... Or you can replace it for a bunch of time and money. Or you can glue it back down... Ive done it in a couple spots.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
My passenger side vertical front windshield gasket/trim peeled about two years ago.
I pulled it off then and didn't replace it with anything.
My driver side peeled about a year ago.
I pulled it off as well and didn't replace it.
I have not suffered any ill effects (wind noise or water ingress).

In Dopeboy1 post above the rear window seal is shown and the piece is MUCH larger than the ones I removed from my front windshield.
I would have done what he shows and sealed the piece back in place with black silicone.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:44 PM
KRN
4th Gear

Thank you for the pics!

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
You can tear it off... Or you can replace it for a bunch of time and money. Or you can glue it back down... Ive done it in a couple spots.

Thank you so much for the pics (especially of the sealant you bought!) I'm a girl and know nothing about these products 😂😁 You are very kind.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:46 PM
KRN
4th Gear

Thanks, Reorge.

Originally Posted by Reorge
My passenger side vertical front windshield gasket/trim peeled about two years ago.

In Dopeboy1 post above the rear window seal is shown and the piece is MUCH larger than the ones I removed from my front windshield.
I would have done what he shows and sealed the piece back in place with black silicone.
Thank you for your further explanation - again I so appreciate it ☺️
Old 04-13-2021, 10:43 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Reorge

Thanks for the info on the windshield rubber strip. A few days ago about 10" of it started flapping on the freeway, about 7" on the windshield and 3" on the roof. I pushed it back in but I expect it will start flapping again. Since you report no ill effects from removing it I'll just cut it when it comes loose again.