Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not received temp plates

Not sure if there is something to worry about

Heres the situation

I am NJ resident and bought '12 TL CPO in PA on 3/16

I told dealer that I want to take car back to NJ so do registration taxes plates based on NJ so I have no transfer hassle - he assured that everything is NJ

Till now I am driving on dealer plate

Dealer said that temp paper plates will come by 3/19 then said by today but now saying they will come early next week as PA dmv is taking time

Following are my worries

1) why are temp plates coming from PA dmv
2) is this normal delay - how long does it take to get temp paper plates
3) how long can i drive on dealer plate
4) if temp plates are from PA dmv - will perm plates be from NJ dmv
5) is dealer just lazy or trying to do something smart or stupid here

Otherwise I love my TL but above admin stuff is worrying me

Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
This is a new one on me. I have always had temp (30 day tags) installed before leaving the dealership/used car dealer. I would call the DMV and verify with them whats going on

I had my permanent plates take 6 weeks to arrive before and that was the dealers fault (mis-communication). Then they mailed the vehicle title to me also (at the same time as the plates ). I had financed the car for 45 months
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 05_NBP_TL
This is a new one on me. I have always had temp (30 day tags) installed before leaving the dealership/used car dealer. I would call the DMV and verify with them whats going on

I had my permanent plates take 6 weeks to arrive before and that was the dealers fault (mis-communication). Then they mailed the vehicle title to me also (at the same time as the plates ). I had financed the car for 45 months
Thats what I thought - is this PA NJ confusion thats causing this delay

Ill call both NJ and PA dmv today to see if they received something regarding my vin
Old 03-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just with a buddy who bought a tsx in nyc to register in NC. They printed temporary transporter plate that is taped in the back window right on the spot. This is also what happened when i bought my old TL in nj but was registered in NY. They issued the temp plate on the spot.

My temp plate expired when i got the car in NJ cuz the dealer screwed up getting the plates from NY. But had them soon after i got mad.

For my NC friend, they said they will file with NC, and overnight him the plates and reg when they get it from NC.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JMAL
I was just with a buddy who bought a tsx in nyc to register in NC. They printed temporary transporter plate that is taped in the back window right on the spot. This is also what happened when i bought my old TL in nj but was registered in NY. They issued the temp plate on the spot.

My temp plate expired when i got the car in NJ cuz the dealer screwed up getting the plates from NY. But had them soon after i got mad.

For my NC friend, they said they will file with NC, and overnight him the plates and reg when they get it from NC.

Hope this helps.
Thanks - I'll check with my dealer
Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
So you are driving a car on a metal dealer plate, not a temp tag? And you own the car with your insurance coverage. What dealer did that illegal action? Nice! Good to have a an extra set of plates of which you have no liability! Sounds a bit over the top.

Last edited by Shoot2Thrill; 03-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Shoot2Thrill
So you are driving a car on a metal dealer plate, not a temp tag? And you own the car with your insurance coverage. What dealer did that illegal action? Nice! Good to have a an extra set of plates of which you have no liability! Sounds a bit over the top.
Dealer seems to be perfectly normal with all this - I pushed him hard to give me temp plates - he said he will give them on monday

I guess he must be taking this lightly - but I am worried
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Walk the walk

You should be because the car is completely illegally on the road. You have no paperwork to support dealer plates and the car could easily be impounded. Let's get real no dealer is going to let you drive off on their plates when you own the car. You going to mail the plates back? Oops sorry dealer must have got lost in the mail? Which Acura PA dealer never sold a car to someone in NJ?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

You should be because the car is completely illegally on the road. You have no paperwork to support dealer plates and the car could easily be impounded. Let's get real no dealer is going to let you drive off on their plates when you own the car. You going to mail the plates back? Oops sorry dealer must have got lost in the mail? Which Acura PA dealer never sold a car to someone in NJ?
I tried to tell this to dealer. he said I can come on monday and give him back his plates and get temp plates on my TL

Any suggestions here - they are open tomorrow - can temp plates be issued on saturday ?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Cruisin'

Oh BTW

I have some paperwork (not sure if that enough) - agreement between dealer, my bank, and me about vin, price of car

I also have a dmv paper signed by dealer and me that I am using his plates - mv335 - dealer registration plate permit

I have insurance on my name for my car
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Walk the walk

Seriously, are saying a dealer especially an established Acura dealer (Still unknown) is going to let you drive off in an illegally plated car. You should play the lottery. Too bad you could not get the 0.9 financing.

Last edited by Shoot2Thrill; 03-22-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Seriously, are saying a dealer especially an established Acura dealer (Still unknown) is going to let you drive off in an illegally plated car. You should play the lottery. Too bad you could not get the 0.9 financing.
and to top that - its a CPO car
Old 03-23-2013, 09:07 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have purchased many cars from either MD or VA and titled them in PA myself. In each instance, I received a paper (or cardboard) plate - good for 30 to 45 days - which allowed the car to be legally driven. Hell ... I bought my Vette from a New Hampshire dealer who forwarded me a temporary NH paper plate as I did the museum delivery (which means I picked up the car from Bowling Green, Kentucky) which was good for 21 days - giving me time to drive to Texas for Xmas before returning to PA where I registered the car locally. PA dealers normally issue paper plates which need to be displayed in the rear window - regardless of whether or not the selling dealer provides metal plates that do not have the month/year stickers on them as the stickers do come from the DMV (sometimes thru the dealer as was the case with my recent S5 purchase). In MD and VA there was normally a small nominal charge for the paper plate ($20 or something) which gave me between 30 and 45 days to register/title the car locally. Now ... if I recall correctly ... when I was talking to Kerbeck in A.C., there was a guy there who just picked up a Vette with 'temporary' plates on the car, but they were PA plates - they just didn't have the stickers which needed to be issued by the PA DMV. It could be (and I assumed to be the case) that there is an agreement between PA and NJ where registration/titlework/plates are handled by a dealer in one state for a customer in the other state as if the customers/dealer were all local (as in the case mentioned above thru Kerbeck). IMHO, there might be some confusion in the verbiage regarding the use of the term "temporary plate" here, but bottom line ... the selling dealer should not have turned over the car keys to you to leave his lot without (at least) the paper plate affixed to the rear window - dearler tag or not. I don't believe your drivng on a dealer tag is an issue at all ... as long as you have the proper paperwork with you (the car) at all times until the NJ plate is received in case you're stopped ... but I'd probably check with a local NJ dealer about this just to be safe/sure.
The following users liked this post:
laptimus (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I bought a few vehicles over the years and some of them from a dealer in a different province (our equivalent to different States)....In every case, I have always had a Temporary Plate (paper) taped to the windshield that is valid for 30 days to enable me the time to go to the Motor Vehicle Branch and get my regular plates.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much the same as everyone else said. But, for sure the dealer should have given you temp plates regardless of where you were registering car. My Acura was purchased in PA. and I live in Deleware. I've bought new and used in PA and NJ and process is always the same. But, it is possible someone there does not know what they are doing.
Temp plates should not come from DMV.
DMV in both states should be able to give you the right answer. I'd go to DMV personally and not call so you can get the right answer.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Cruisin'

finally I got my temp plates valid till 4/16 - big relief :-)

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions

hopefully I will receive my NJ perm tags and registration by then
Old 03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
just make sure the car is actually registered.

i had a friend find out 2 months after the fact that the dealer (jag) NEVER processed his paper work with the DMV, but he had the tags that were supposed to be registered to car (new used car-BMW) and the pink slip to the car along with insurance coverage. the DMV never had any record of this and they still had his old car and tags registered to him (he traded his old car). he only found this out after he was T-boned in his new used car (which was totaled).
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
just make sure the car is actually registered.

i had a friend find out 2 months after the fact that the dealer (jag) NEVER processed his paper work with the DMV, but he had the tags that were supposed to be registered to car (new used car-BMW) and the pink slip to the car along with insurance coverage. the DMV never had any record of this and they still had his old car and tags registered to him (he traded his old car). he only found this out after he was T-boned in his new used car (which was totaled).
sure will do

can't take any chances now
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
laptimus, nice seeing you again today, and resolving the plate exchange for you.

Enjoy the TL, and next time we see you it will NOT be snowing again. Let's just say that now