Noise at 20mph and Above

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:56 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise at 20mph and Above

So in March my 2012 TL SH-AWD Auto(56K) began making this howling noise at speeds of 40 and higher. More recently the noise is louder and audible at lower speeds. Because I had my propeller shaft replaced at about 40K, I kinda thought this new one was defective as well. Turns out that the dealer diagnosis was that the noise was from a bad wheel bearing, which is covered under powertrain warranty. But the rep. says when the technician had the car on lift he noticed that one control arm bushing was leaking fluid and the other has a tear but no leak. Said I should have it repaired because it will not pass Pennsylvania Inspection, which is due in September. Cost is $1600 because he says you must buy the whole control arms and that the bushings aren't sold alone.

Does this sound legit to you guys?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:43 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Upper or lower control arm.
Bushing are usually pressed in and doesnt have any fluid in them. Assuming it is the ball joint in this case, which have fluid or grease to be exact. They run less than $100 for oem , less than $50 for aftermarket. So they are charging you $1,400 -1,500 for labor and the inspection excuse as a leverage on their behalf.
Even if the whole upper arm needs to be replace they run about 150 or less. Now the lower arm is quite costly around 500 but the ball joint is pressed on wheel brake assembly, which have nothing to do with the lower arm. Anyhow, im just going by the limit explanation.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:10 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thnx for your reply S Power. It's the lower control arm. He made no mention of the ball joint. He says the bushing of one lower control arm contains fluid and the fluid is leaking. The opposite lower control arm has a tear but no leak yet. I am skeptical of their assessment. For example, last year they told me that my tires were wearing uneven and I needed a wheel alignment. I still don't notice uneven wear or any steering pull. Seems like if they must perform warranty work, they try to recoup the $ by recommending phantom repairs. My plan is to go somewhere else for the state inspection, where I'm willing to bet that they won't even mention the lower control arm bushings.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:57 PM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Take it from my first hand experience that i have replace my lower control arm and there is no fluid in these bushing. They are just solid rubber. Even at almost 100k miles on crappy Illinois road they are all still intact and so is the ball joint. I replaced it due to a pot hole that bent it. Well, the thing is you need to safely jack up the car and see it yourself personally. Dont believe anything until you see it. Goodluck.