Newb... maybe a bit paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newb... maybe a bit paranoid?

So I bought a Used 2012 TL FWD Recently. Have had it for 3 weeks now. Love the car. I never felt as if I was a driver and liked driving but after driving this car, I cannot wait til I get back in the car each day after work.

After having it for a couple of weeks it could be that I am a bit paranoid or their is an issue or two. I did have my mechanic look at the car and he said it was in good condition, no issue.

When the car is cold and I am idling (say after I get in my car after being in the work parking lot and waiting stuck in traffic) I hear this gurgling sound coming from the hood. What is this? Is this something I should be concerned about?

This ones more weird / paranoid. After hitting a bump or sometimes braking with my hand off the wheel the car veers one way. Now this does not always happen but usually on the main streets. As i drove around my residential street and while going various speeds with braking etc it goes in a straight line. It also goes in a straight line off the 407 (live in Toronto, ON). Is this normal? Can I just blame the roads on this? Again my mechanic said no alignment issue.

Thanks! Hoping for the best here
Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
For your first issue (gurgling)... is it more like a ticking sound? When you're in drive, waiting on a red light with your foot on the brake? If so that should be normal as Acura and Honda engines are usually pretty ticky.

As for your second issue, it depends on the slope of the road. Urban roads are sloped to the side for drainage to sewers so if you let go of your steering wheel, it'll naturally veer to the right (or left). Best to test this on a very level road... say like the middle lane on a highway.
The following users liked this post:
kev87a (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced

I wouldn't say ticking sound. Sounds gurgily / watery or something. Hard to describe. Not really like metal pieces ticking together. More like your stomach gurgling noises hahah.

And definitely the roads are sloapped. Sometimes even on the highway left lane it does this but middle lane not at all. Whew. Made me feel better .
Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Advanced

And whoops yes in D. With my foot on the brake. Don't hear it when im actually moving along. Don't think I hear it in P either. As i tried to listen for it today while in P.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My car totally makes that gurgling sound....usually in the mornings.

I tried to ask the dealer about it but without being able to replicate it they couldn't do much.

So now I just live with it.

Hopefully others experience the same thing and we can figure out what it is.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the car is pulling to the right while stopping or taking off, I've read is a known issue, and your car isn't broke or out of alignment. I found this out researching why my car sometimes pulls to the right stopping or starting from say, a red light.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kev87a
So I bought a Used 2012 TL FWD Recently. Have had it for 3 weeks now. Love the car. I never felt as if I was a driver and liked driving but after driving this car, I cannot wait til I get back in the car each day after work.

After having it for a couple of weeks it could be that I am a bit paranoid or their is an issue or two. I did have my mechanic look at the car and he said it was in good condition, no issue.

When the car is cold and I am idling (say after I get in my car after being in the work parking lot and waiting stuck in traffic) I hear this gurgling sound coming from the hood. What is this? Is this something I should be concerned about?

This ones more weird / paranoid. After hitting a bump or sometimes braking with my hand off the wheel the car veers one way. Now this does not always happen but usually on the main streets. As i drove around my residential street and while going various speeds with braking etc it goes in a straight line. It also goes in a straight line off the 407 (live in Toronto, ON). Is this normal? Can I just blame the roads on this? Again my mechanic said no alignment issue.

Thanks! Hoping for the best here

gurgling noise ...see this thread , there is a sound clip of the sound there...(it may be the external transmission fluid filter, had the same problem on my car)

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/weirdest-sound-ive-heard-car-880507/

car pulling to one side when braking...maybe one or both pins in the caliper are stuck and causing uneven braking...

Last edited by arek1200; 04-16-2014 at 05:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
audi_to_TL (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by audi_to_TL
My car totally makes that gurgling sound....usually in the mornings.

I tried to ask the dealer about it but without being able to replicate it they couldn't do much.

So now I just live with it.

Hopefully others experience the same thing and we can figure out what it is.

it is probably the external transmission fluid filter...
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
And whoops yes in D. With my foot on the brake. Don't hear it when im actually moving along. Don't think I hear it in P either. As i tried to listen for it today while in P.
you sure its not your brakes?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Your "pigeons" noise is the transmission filter diaphragm as others have pointed out here. You are still under warranty (I hope - lol) so ask the dealer to change it. If they give you any grief ask them to read their freaken bulletins and newsletters from Acura/Honda where they inform them about stuff like this!

The FWD weight distribution is less than ideal when braking. So what you experience is pretty much normal. The AWD doesn't do that.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Gurgling sound sometime indicates air in your heater core.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Almost like a small hollow wooden drum? Or maybe a constant water droplet sound? I know its hard to explain. I have this same noise also and just like you... I posted the same question on Acurazine when I first got my car. I eventually got the maintenance manager at my dealership sit in the cabin with me and he said this is normal.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Emailed this thread to my dealer and made an appointment to replace the trans filter.

Thanks everyone
Old 04-16-2014, 02:56 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Dealership techs love internet armchair mechanics.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Thanks arek!!! Thats the exact same sound coming from my car. Only some of the times. So weird. I have to take it in for maintenance soon, ill tell them about it at that time!

Thanks!