Newb, buying an 2 Acura's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:14 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb, buying an 2 Acura's

Like the title says, I am looking into buying a 2009 TL. My brother is also intrested in an Acura, but hes looking at the RL. I have found some good looking deals, but I was not sure what types of TL's there are. I am a Pontiac Grand Prix owner and since Pontiac is getting phased out I decided to move up to an Acura. What is the higest quality version of the TL? The Type S? Anyone recommend an RL over the TL? I actually like the 3rd Generation 2007 body style over the new 2009,but is there any draw back to the earlier generation TL? Are there any apperance mods available for the 2009 TL? Any info is appreciated.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 PM
4th Gear

Also which is the best Acura for the money? Tsx? RL or TL? They look pretty similar to me, not sure which factors set them apart in price.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake_Zula
Also which is the best Acura for the money? Tsx? RL or TL? They look pretty similar to me, not sure which factors set them apart in price.
have you walked into an Acura dealership yet?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's a lot of questions there, Shake. You can do a search here about those topics and you'll find a hundered different threads about it. Best bet is to go to your nearest Acura dealer and that way you can see all the models side-by-side and test drive all the models that interest you.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Racer

A quick overview of the 3 models:

TSX-value, sporty handling, lacks power, best build quality of the 3, lacks "luxury" interior and materials aren't up to par with the others
TL- softer suspension, more power, known for rattles (04-06)
TL-S- stiffer suspension than the base TL, 18" wheels, seem to have less rattles, more power while maintaining nice luxury interior
RL- most luxurious of the 3, good build quality, most tech features, softest ride yet still sporty with the SH-AWD, few on the road

I have had 3 Acura's in the last 6 years and have no complaints about them. I would stay away from any first model year car of any make, Acura included. It all depends on what your looking for. There is an Acura out there for you, once you see them in person and test drive them, you will figure it out.
FYI, Acura's don't carry the same brand recognition of BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc., yet they are the best combination of sport/luxury/value available. They hold there resale value, are safe, fuel efficient, and fun.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM
4th Gear

I was at Car Max they only had a 2006 Acura RL 3.5 four door,2006 Acura RSX type S coupe and a 2008 Acura TL with 10k miles which actually was the least expensive. The rest were just print outs of Acuras at other Car max locations they they can ship to my location. Your right, I will definalty have to go to an actual Acura Dealership beacuse I want to test drive the Type-S. I just wanted to be a bit more informed before I walk into the dealership. The problems section of this forum for the 4th generation TL's made me a bit cautious. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM
4th Gear

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for tftimm , Thanks!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Shake_Zula
Like the title says, I am looking into buying a 2009 TL. My brother is also intrested in an Acura, but hes looking at the RL. I have found some good looking deals, but I was not sure what types of TL's there are. I am a Pontiac Grand Prix owner and since Pontiac is getting phased out I decided to move up to an Acura. What is the higest quality version of the TL? The Type S? Anyone recommend an RL over the TL? I actually like the 3rd Generation 2007 body style over the new 2009,but is there any draw back to the earlier generation TL? Are there any apperance mods available for the 2009 TL? Any info is appreciated.
RL is over priced for what you get. TL is nicer car IMO. It has better nav as well. Also TL resale will be far better than a RL. Acura sell like 250 RL a month, compared to 3000 TL. Go to the Acura website and look at the modles. Type-S is 07-08, will likely return in 12. High end is AWD TL and it handles sweet. Stiffer ride, more sporty. FWD TL is softer ride more luxury oriented.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also - pick up all three brochures to compare not only equipment but also dimensions. You will be surprised just how close the three are in size. The biggest difference was the lack of rear seat room in the TSX. I thought the TSX was too buzzy and had to really work the gas to get performance out of it. The new V6 will eliminate that but we'll have to wait to see where it prices out compared to the TL. I went in wanting an RL but just couldn't pass up the advanced technology and features of the TL. There really is no size difference worth mentioning between the RL and TL. But you're the final decision maker. All three are good in their own right. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I am confused. Are you looking for a used Acura or a new Acura or both. How much are you willing to spend? Are you financing? I ask this because Acura dealerships are aggressively marketing the 2.9% APR on the 2009 Models. You will have to pay more if its a used vehicle. If you are looking for new, I would first urge you to go to www.acura.com then do a lot of research online to see exactly what others are paying for that particular models. A great site to visit before you go to the dealership is www.edmunds.com and visit their forums to get consumers take on that vehicle. This site is also great for research and pricing information. This forum is a great site.