New TLX

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New TLX

some one who work in the acura just told me yesterday about the new TLX, he said it will be released in the late summer in 2014, he saw the drawing already. It looks like the new RLX in front but rear r little bit differnt. Same size as TSX, with more than 340HP and has one or more electric motor.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
^there are spy shots of the actual car with camo on it.
Sean S Thuok (07-03-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by senjougahara
some one who work in the acura just told me yesterday about the new TLX, he said it will be released in the late summer in 2014, he saw the drawing already. It looks like the new RLX in front but rear r little bit differnt. Same size as TSX, with more than 340HP and has one or more electric motor.
Sorry, don't buy that. The car is out in camo now, the countdown click has started. I figure we either see Concept at LA in November or maybe even production ready with release in January or March at the latest. Now maybe a hybrid version may not be released until next summer, but I can't see them holding off until next summer for the base car.
justnspace (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
'16 ILX Premium/A-Spec

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
and the Pope called and asked me to lunch...

No offense but your friend/source is wrong. 340 HP? Not going to happen. Release in Summer 2014? No way.

Read the thread on here "When will the next gen TL (TLX) be released" for more updated and accurate information.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheAspec:
emanon256 (06-28-2013), justnspace (06-28-2013), Sean S Thuok (07-03-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I highly doubt the TLX will be the same size as the current TSX, if it is, I am switching brands. Why would they change their only mid-sized sedan to a compact?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
I highly doubt the TLX will be the same size as the current TSX, if it is, I am switching brands. Why would they change their only mid-sized sedan to a compact?
Its most likely that the interior volume will remain midsized (or close to it) while the exterior dimensions shrink.

Edited to add: I know the car will be smaller on the outside. Virtually confirmed on all fronts short of an official press release.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Its most likely that the interior volume will remain midsized (or close to it) while the exterior dimensions shrink.

Edited to add: I know the car will be smaller on the outside. Virtually confirmed on all fronts short of an official press release.
Outside doesn't matter as much, but I already have my seat all the way back in my TL and could still use a little more room, but am otherwise comfortable. In the loaner TSX I got, my legs were in pain within 20 minuets with the seat all the way back. And I am only 6'1", but is all in my legs. My old 1995 TL I was comfortable when the seat still had a few inches to go.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TheAspec
and the Pope called and asked me to lunch...

No offense but your friend/source is wrong. 340 HP? Not going to happen. Release in Summer 2014? No way.

Read the thread on here "When will the next gen TL (TLX) be released" for more updated and accurate information.
we will see
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I am not disputing your facts about the look of the TLX, it seems pretty evident that it would look somewhat like the RLX, most cars now look the same from a coorporate point of view....Look at the RDX vs MDX for example, not identical but very similar. The part that I am questioning is the late release date...I would expect to have the TLX no later than the spring/early summer 2014 otherwise, this will cause problem for them. Surely they are smart enough to know this, if not, use your friend to make sure the message gets to them.

As far as the size being similar to the TSX, I could see that...I mean the TSX has grown almost to the size of the 3G TL so if they want to downsize a bit, it could come close to the TSX. The original size of the TSX was the sweet spot for that car.

Now if your prediction of 340HP pans out, this will be the version that would have the SH-SH-AWD as you pointed out with the electric motors. The RLX SH-SH-AWD will make close to 370HP so that would make sense that the TLX SH-SH-AWD would be less than the RLX but I am surprised they will make the TL available with that technology, but that would be a wicked A-SPEC.

By the sounds of things, it appears that the TLX will have a few options available if your prediction is correct because I don't see the naturally aspired V6 making that much HP unless assisted by the electric motors so if we have a I4 all the way to a SH-SH-AWD, that will be quite the spectrum.
Given this, there is no doubt the TLX will regain the status of the bread & butter car for Acura because the RLX will see very few (as always) and the ILX will never be able to compete with that!

Last edited by weather; 07-03-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM
10th Gear

they r saying the hybird will release around late summer i guess. combine with electric motor 340 is easy I guess, the new infiniti Q50's hybird verson may have even more, I think acura will use some kind of tech from NSX, Nsx has 3 motors, so one or two my be fine for tlx. 340 in the next gen is not a big deal acctully, we will see any way
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I am not disputing your facts about the look of the TLX, it seems pretty evident that it would look somewhat like the RLX, most cars now look the same from a coorporate point of view....Look at the RDX vs MDX for example, not identical but very similar. The part that I am questioning is the late release date...I would expect to have the TLX no later than the spring/early summer 2014 otherwise, this will cause problem for them. Surely they are smart enough to know this, if not, use your friend to make sure the message gets to them.

As far as the size being similar to the TSX, I could see that...I mean the TSX has grown almost to the size of the 3G TL so if they want to downsize a bit, it could come close to the TSX. The original size of the TSX was the sweet spot for that car.

Now if your prediction of 340HP pans out, this will be the version that would have the SH-SH-AWD as you pointed out with the electric motors. The RLX SH-SH-AWD will make close to 370HP so that would make sense that the TLX SH-SH-AWD would be less than the RLX but I am surprised they will make the TL available with that technology, but that would be a wicked A-SPEC.

By the sounds of things, it appears that the TLX will have a few options available if your prediction is correct because I don't see the naturally aspired V6 making that much HP unless assisted by the electric motors so if we have a I4 all the way to a SH-SH-AWD, that will be quite the spectrum.
Given this, there is no doubt the TLX will regain the status of the bread & butter car for Acura because the RLX will see very few (as always) and the ILX will never be able to compete with that!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ By the way, you need to get your friend who works for Acura to your place, we'll get him some beer/wine and see if we can get him to share more information and pictures I'll pay for the beer/wine for the benefit we will provide to all my Acurazine friends.

Last edited by weather; 07-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^there are spy shots of the actual car with camo on it.
Originally Posted by emanon256
Acura, do something as stupid as change their best selling model? Never.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
...we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Do you guys think that maybe Acura could bring back the Type-S? A.K.A Type Sexy!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mr.Skytech
Do you guys think that maybe Acura could bring back the Type-S? A.K.A Type Sexy!
Not unless they get back to selling 70K cars a year then maybe at MMC. I think Acura has abandoned the "sporty" side. I expect the SH-AWD TLX to be more sedate than the 4G, it is clear even things like the quad tips were pulled from the MMC so I expect the TLX models to all look alike.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I doubt it, that would make too much sense and mean they actually listen to their loyal fans. An A-Spec or Type-S = Virility something senior managers at Acura (which I won't spell out literally) have forgotten its meaning
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Not unless they get back to selling 70K cars a year then maybe at MMC. I think Acura has abandoned the "sporty" side. I expect the SH-AWD TLX to be more sedate than the 4G, it is clear even things like the quad tips were pulled from the MMC so I expect the TLX models to all look alike.
I disagree. I think it's very possible they'll do something fun at MMC. This is traditionally when they'll do this sort of thing. Also, I've been thinking (while reading all the 'crying' about exhaust tips) that maybe the move to hidden ones is the emphasize a sporty model when they're ready to offer one?

IMO, one 'problem' that I see is that there is no engine available for such a car that would make anyone happy. The 4 cylinders are currently at 200(ish) HP and the V-6s at 300(ish) HP. Unless they're going to go with hybrids for the performance models or are considering turbocharging, I don't see a path. IMO, both 'may' be on the table, with the RLX Hybrid and NSX, but would this trickle down to the 'core' models? One can hope.

Edited to add: What if the TLX drops 300 lbs and base power goes to 260(ish)? Then a Type-S could be offered at 300 for a significant difference? Would that matter so long as it was faster than the outgoing TL SH-AWD?

Last edited by Colin; 07-03-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts

IMO, one 'problem' that I see is that there is no engine available for such a car that would make anyone happy. The 4 cylinders are currently at 200(ish) HP and the V-6s at 300(ish) HP. Unless they're going to go with hybrids for the performance models or are considering turbocharging, I don't see a path. IMO, both 'may' be on the table, with the RLX Hybrid and NSX, but would this trickle down to the 'core' models? One can hope.

Very soon, Honda has to go the turbo/super-charging route just like every major auto makers.

Even though Honda doesn't like to "follow" others, but it has no choice but to eventually implement DI into it's new engine series, just like all other auto makers.

Force induction is the way to go to generate big horsepower but still get away with lower CAFE rating.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 AM
Suzuka Master

What if the TLX drops 300 lbs and base power goes to 260(ish)? Then a Type-S could be offered at 300 for a significant difference? Would that matter so long as it was faster than the outgoing TL SH-AWD?
To me, that would be fine....I am not one that needs to brag about how much HP or Torque my cars has provided that it looks GREAT, handles GREAT and actually moves. If they can decrease the weight such that a lower HP is provided but the net result is the same, I couldn't care less. If I wanted straight HP or acceleration, I'd get a Corvette, a Mustang etc. For me, I want an attractive sedan that will enable to get from point A to point B with a grin on my face, and have people envious of me as I drive by them. I know I am the exception but that is my view.
meatball1080 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I wonder if they would do a 3.7 DI they might be able to squeeze 320HP, and really a good 7/8 speed auto and tune up some low end torque and you got a killer ride. Go drive an Audi A6 and see what you can do with a 3.0 and a super charger in a 4000 lb car. You get over 300lbs of torque at low RPM and the car feels like a rocket. And people are getting excellent MPG when not pushing it thanks to the small displacement and 8 gears.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts

This is where the Earth Dreams motors slide. DI will be enough for now, but they'll eventually have to go to forced induction.

I wonder if they would do a 3.7 DI they might be able to squeeze 320HP, and really a good 7/8 speed auto and tune up some low end torque and you got a killer ride. Go drive an Audi A6 and see what you can do with a 3.0 and a super charger in a 4000 lb car. You get over 300lbs of torque at low RPM and the car feels like a rocket. And people are getting excellent MPG when not pushing it thanks to the small displacement and 8 gears.
^This.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^^^ Agreed.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Suzuka Master

I also have to believe that a forced induction motor is less expensive than an electric motor assist (hybrid), of course the electric assist will likely be more fuel efficient.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
To me, that would be fine....I am not one that needs to brag about how much HP or Torque my cars has provided that it looks GREAT, handles GREAT and actually moves. If they can decrease the weight such that a lower HP is provided but the net result is the same, I couldn't care less. If I wanted straight HP or acceleration, I'd get a Corvette, a Mustang etc. For me, I want an attractive sedan that will enable to get from point A to point B with a grin on my face, and have people envious of me as I drive by them. I know I am the exception but that is my view.
I got all that in my Miata! Virtually nothing like it, expecially modified. I always take the long and winding route when I get to drive it on the weekends.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 PM

I wonder if they would do a 3.7 DI they might be able to squeeze 320HP, and really a good 7/8 speed auto and tune up some low end torque and you got a killer ride.
I really really really doubt this.
as of now, they are having problems with the 3.7 eating oil.
the J-series has been BULLETPROOF up until the 3.7.

unless they fix this, they will use the 3.5l forever.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I had a 3.7 in my TL for 18K miles and never had an oil issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:56 PM

I had a 3.7 in my TL for 18K miles and never had an oil issue.
we dont know the sample size.
it could be a very large and widespread problem or it could be very small.
one thing we do know is that the 3.7 didnt make a comeback with the RLX.
it also was not featured in any of the SUV/CUV's for 2014.

3.7L!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM

K23 turbo.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
we dont know the sample size.
it could be a very large and widespread problem or it could be very small.
one thing we do know is that the 3.7 didnt make a comeback with the RLX.
it also was not featured in any of the SUV/CUV's for 2014.

3.7L!
I don't think it made a come back yet because they could get 300+ HP from the DI 3.5 and they wanted best in class MPG. I do suspect a 3.7 may show up in the future if they need more HP.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 PM

3.7 DI!!
340hp without electric motors.

would have to be awd
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM
10th Gear

I asked him to show me the drawing and he said he will be fired if he did that lol
^^ By the way, you need to get your friend who works for Acura to your place, we'll get him some beer/wine and see if we can get him to share more information and pictures I'll pay for the beer/wine for the benefit we will provide to all my Acurazine friends.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by senjougahara
I asked him to show me the drawing and he said he will be fired if he did that lol
I bet he's the car wash boy at the local Acura dealership.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:22 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Isn't the design center for this car in Torrance CA? If your friend is in Japan, they may have very little info about the car other than slightly better rumors than we have.
justnspace (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by vivmike
I bet he's the car wash boy at the local Acura dealership.
I guess it takes one to know one...
Old 07-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ (LOL) And that is what I did at my dad's dealership growing up as a kid.

A summer job that is still having its impact on me today
Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
^^^^^

But did you also keep telling passing-by customers what you think you knew/heard/saw about upcoming vehicles ?
Old 07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
^^ (LOL) And that is what I did at my dad's dealership growing up as a kid.

A summer job that is still having its impact on me today
I hate it when people act like mr big shot. You dont step on other people no matter what their status or job is.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Skytech
Nothing acura can make will ever be as Sexy as the 3G TL type S.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

But did you also keep telling passing-by customers what you think you knew/heard/saw about upcoming vehicles ?
*lmao* Nope.....I was just a little teenager just fortunate to have enough gas money to put in my RWD (aka luxury) chevette

MONDSTER...I agree 100% with you. Everyone has a role to play in society, whether they wash cars, pour coffee or save lives. From my experience, the better people (and most respectful) are often the people with the lowest paying jobs.

Last edited by weather; 07-07-2013 at 01:48 PM.