New TL friday afternoon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New TL friday afternoon!

Hello everyone!

This will be a long post so don't say I didn't warn you! Also please note that I don't have a big experience with luxury cars so please keep that in mind. Please also remind that I'm from Quebec in Canada, so french is my first language. I'll try to write something understandable and as easily readable as possible. Also I'll use Canadian dollar at a rate of 0,85$USD. All speed will be in (km/mi) to help the metrically challenged out there. Oh and one last comment: I'll make references to what my GF told me about the car because she's a car lover but with very sharp tastes. If she does not like something, even a detail, then the car is deemed unworthy for her and I would have heard of it really soon.

Well, after weeks of waiting I got my TL friday afternoon. I can confirm 09 TL are still being produced as mine was produce aoround june 17 2009.

It's been a great moment and all went extremely well at dealership. That's one advantage of a smaller city (around 125 000 ppl): it's a small world. Fully loaded TL sales are rare so it's a special moment at the dealership. My used car was already sold before I brought it in! lol. I was glad that my used car could be put to good use so soon!

I'm taking it in for an anti-rust, paint sealant and leather protector next week or so since I got a great deal on an otherwise costly combo (Like around 700 $ off regular price).

Ok, on to the car, I took the time to look at the clear bra installation as well as all doors, the hood and trunk to be sure everything was well bolted and well installed. To be honest, everything was perfect. The paint was top notch too.

For the exterior, I've been a fan of the design since it came out so the beak and rear is very good looking for me. Many clients congratulated me and customers in the showroom were giving me thumbs up about my choice of car. So far, everybody who saw it in real just kind of fell in love with it. Althought I didn't buy this car to have some kind of social approval, it's still nice when you see everybody who stop by, look at the car and say nice compliments about it.

The car looks powerful and futuristic and that was another selling point for me: a look quite unconventional with a powerful stance and presence. And in black, it looks classy as well.

Now, the «tud»...when I shut the door, it feels like a well made solid car. I like that in a near 4 000 pounds car!

For the interior, all I can say is that it's gorgeous. Seats are very confortable for both me (6'4'' 220 lbs, very athletic) and my GF (5'9'' 120 lbs). The driver seat makes you feel more like in a cockpit. It was one of the main selling point for me as I changed cars to have something roomy enough for me and my very long legs and feet (size 16 here)yet with a sporty nature. I like feeling enwrapped by the front seats. The level of adjustments is incredible, it's the first car I drive where I have my eyesight in the middle or so of the wind shield and I have an inch or 2 left before my head hit the roof! For me, that's an automotive exploit! The little comptarments are great too.

The leather used in the car seems to be nice although I won't judge on the quality until a few months (with the creasing many ppl experienced).The feeling to the touch is good though and I really look forward to spend hours in this car.

The instrument panel is clear but you have to understand that I read the whole manual BEFORE buying the car. Yep...all the 600 pages of it, even the warnings! The dealer was kind enough to link my cell phone with the NAVI and it went very smoothly. Personaly, I don't have a problem with the numerous buttons since basially it's a tradeoff: the more functions you have, the more buttons you'll get. There's no way around it. HDD is awesome too, I'm always listening to 2 things in my car: silence or CDs. Now, I'll be able to access my entire CDs collection with the HDD.

Continuing to the sound system, it's awesome, plain and simple. Easily adjustable yet powerful, crisp and clear. My GF enjoy listening to music a lot also and she likes the sound system very much. She's a fan of going out for the fun of it so we'll have many unexpected trips just for the fun of driving, listening to great music and being together...

Going to the Navi (or the Big Blue Screen for the technologically challenged), all I can say so far is that I like it but I'm not a fan of vocal commands. The Navi itself is well made, easy to get into. The screen is clear and the back-up camera is great and very useful. I was skeptic at first but now, I really like that feature.

My recommandation here to new owners: take an hour or 2, sit in your car and push the buttons, play with the Navi and you'll be much more confortable very quickly. Acura quick start-up guide is well made so keep it close.

My GF summed it up very well yesterday when going in for the first time: «it feels more like a spaceship than a car. But a very beautiful spaceship. I feel almost bad of sitting here...it's just so beautiful and well made.» Honestly, it just looks and feels great even with the sea of buttons.

Now for the engine, SH-AWD and what-nots, it's too early to fully judge but all I can say is that it feels great to drive this car. It corners very well and turns and curves aren't a problem. Traction is velcro-like and you just feel glued to the road. The ride is very good for me, not too firm, not too soft. We have some shitty roads around here and the bumps weren't that noticeable, just enough to tell me to pay attention. I tried some curves rated 35km/h (20 mi/hr) at 100km/h(60mi/hr) while raining and it just stayed glued to the road.

I understand some of you would have liked more musle under the hood for me the acceleration felt good. It's evident it's not a real sport car as you can feel the weight as you try to accelerate. It still stay quite fast, faster than 95% of cars out there. I went from 0-180km/h (0-108mi/hr) to test the engine and it felt reponsive and never out of steam.

That was my scary moment: I realized I was driving (ok, no one was around, it was 6h00 AM saturday morning with clear road ahead, good visibility. I'm not irresponsible to do that with lots of ppl around or in bad condition) at 180 km/h and the car looked poised, composed, solid and glued to the road. I glanced at the SH-AWD readout to see that the rear wheels were doing their fair share of the work. That means I'll have to keep a close eye on the speed as I don't feel it and don't want to get caught in a false sense of security. It's one of the drawback of all those nice techs: we lose perception of the real danger.

I'll let you return to your daily activities, I wrote too much already! To say I'm thrilled to drive my TL is an understatement. From the moment I saw it to my first drive, I must say this is the one car that felt right for me: roomy for my tall body, full of tech yet refined, powerful but not in sport cars territory and with a bold, powerful and unique presence. That was the car design for me.

Have a good day and drive safely!
-YetiTL
Old 07-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. I visited Quebec City for a conference last week. What a wonderful place.

2. Congrats on the new purchase. Watch your speed. I got a ticket 2 weeks after I bought mine!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations! After following your pre-buy thread, I have to say that I was anxious for your post-buy, first impressions. Your enthusiasm makes me want to go drive my TL right now! Maybe I'll just do that....
Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Pro

Yeah, Quebec city is a superb city. I live in Trois-Rivieres, a city of 125 000 inhabitants between Quebec city and Montreal and the cool thing is that I'm halfway between Quebec city, Montreal and not so far from Sherbrooke, in the eastern township.

Thanks for the support from everybody, the wait was worth it!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Congrats on your purchase!! I, too, am a fan of the exterior. I love the beak. I also like the interior with all the buttons. I'm a techie so all the buttons shows off just what all the car can do. They could have went with less buttons and making us do more through the nav screen and interface dial but I like being able to just reach over and push a button. When I got home with mine I told my family there's only one problem with the car...I'm going to get a speeding ticket. The thing is like a rocket! But I'm already getting used to it and can keep the speed down when needed. I also appreciate the high ceiling the TL has. As I was adjusting my seat I raised it for a better view and was surprised I still had plenty of room before my head hit the roof. Enjoy the new wheels!
Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YetiTL
My GF summed it up very well yesterday when going in for the first time: «it feels more like a spaceship than a car. But a very beautiful spaceship. I feel almost bad of sitting here...it's just so beautiful and well made.» Honestly, it just looks and feels great even with the sea of buttons.
The first time I took one of my buddies out in it he said, "You're driving the bridge of the starship Enterprise."

Congrats on the new car.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Pro

Little update:

Sunday morning, I took 20 minutes to play with Navi and I managed to plan 2 destinations, add the icons and learned how to play with the HDD. So I would say the Navi is quite user-friendly.

So far, good job Acura!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by YetiTL
Hello everyone!

I'm taking it in for an anti-rust, paint sealant and leather protector next week or so since I got a great deal on an otherwise costly combo (Like around 700 $ off regular price).
I can't speak to the inclimate weather of Canada and what they treat the streets with in winter, but skip the paint sealant and leather prtectant. There is nothing they are going to put on the paint or leather that is going to last the life of the car or for that matter a year or more. You are better off waxing it yourself a few times a year and using something like Megs #21 (sealant) and for the leather use something like Leather CPR once a month and you'll find the car will hold up fine! In the sattes a 64oz Megs #21 lasts for a few years and is like $40 and the Leather CPR is like $20 and will last years as well.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Pro

Ok, thanks for the reply KeithL! To be honest, I'll still try it to see how it holds up against Quebec weather but I'll definetly keep your advice in mind. It's mucho appreciated!