Need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Need your advice

Hello All,

I've been contemplating going for the SH-AWD car although I bought my 2012 FWD Advance end of December/12 and currently has 12500 miles. The car below is the best deal I could find within 150 miles from me

http://acuraofberlin.com/Hartford/Fo...-Car/16710288/

Now, after some price haggling I got the dealer to value my trade in at $30k and lower his price to $32.5k. Is 2.5k worth the change knowing that I'll be downgrading from an Advance to a Tech with 4000 more miles but upgrading from a FWD to AWD?

Edit: Forgot to mention that both my current and that car are certified.

Another thing I noticed is that the car doesn't have the spoiler on top of the trunk, how come a Tech package does not have a rear-view camera and where is the button to open the trunk?

Looking forward to your replies.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
personally i wouldn't think it's that much of a downgrade unless the features with the Advance model are that important to you. i'd prefer to have the AWD over the Advance pkg. ultimately you are the only one that can decide whether 2.5k is worth it. you want performance and handling with a little more foul weather confidence? or you want the tech gizmos with the advance pkg?

i don't know why the car you posted doesn't have the trunk lip spoiler. i would think it does, looks a little naked. all the awd versions i've seen have it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
its not normal for it to not have a trunk wing.. a trunk wing is part of the tech where the back up camera is..

i would skip this deal as to that the wingless trunk indicates a collision with the rear has happened.. it may not be reported but for sure there is no reason why they would remove the trunk spoiler with the camera.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^that makes sense.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced

I agree, something fishy is going on. I am gonna ask the dealer why its not there out of curiosity and see what answer I get.

Regarding the Advance tech gizmoz vs the AWD its a tough call. I haven't gotten a chance to test the cooling seats and the blind-spot detector helps once in a while. On the other hand I don't know how much performance difference will I see knowing that winter is over. Maybe I should wait till end of summer and get a 13 AWD. Not sure
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM

you should just skip this..

i mean would you buy something that has been altered especially something like the tech package that is so important.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

AWD over FWD. granted i've only driven loaners of each version...it's a NOTICEABLE difference. makes me almost want to give up one of the two babies in my stable for the TL SHAWD...ALMOST. handling is incredible on the AWD version, the suspension is stiffer and sportier.

if you're a performance junkie...you'll appreciate the AWD. in NY you'll make use of it.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by potmilkz
you should just skip this..

i mean would you buy something that has been altered especially something like the tech package that is so important.
No I wouldn't. I don't need it that bad.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
AWD over FWD. granted i've only driven loaners of each version...it's a NOTICEABLE difference. makes me almost want to give up one of the two babies in my stable for the TL SHAWD...ALMOST. handling is incredible on the AWD version, the suspension is stiffer and sportier.

if you're a performance junkie...you'll appreciate the AWD. in NY you'll make use of it.
Then maybe not driving one is better lol, otherwise I'll def wanna change. Not sure if I would be considered a junkie but I do feel that I need more performance out of my car.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

if you test drive it...you'll be wanting it more.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
..makes me almost want to give up one of the two babies in my stable for the TL SHAWD...ALMOST. handling is incredible on the AWD version, the suspension is stiffer and sportier.
It is amazing and a great pleasure to ride isn't it?!? So what would you give up if you had to sacrifice one of your babies? The MDX or the 3G TL?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Before jumping to too many conclusions, just make sure the dealer posted the proper pics of the outside of the car with the inside, there is a slight chance that they may have accidently posted the wrong car pics.

If not, I would be cautious with the car, as it has been traded out of for a reason with such low mileage.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM

cbp and tan interior should never go together.. that alone will make me turn the other way..

you should wait, do more research, spend some more time finding a few that catches your eye.. this one has red flags
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced

@VQPower
The dealer hasn't replied to my question yet, so I am ruling out the wrong pics option. There is definitely something wrong with that car and I am not waiting to find out.

@Pomilkz
I was looking for the black/umber color combo but couldn't find any within 150 miles
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
AtotheZ,

I would also suggest looking for a manual if u r into that if u r gunna do the swap from a fwd to an awd.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
It does say "Pictures may not represent the actual car". You do certainly want to make sure your are getting what they are advertising though.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by weather
It is amazing and a great pleasure to ride isn't it?!? So what would you give up if you had to sacrifice one of your babies? The MDX or the 3G TL?
deal breaker...4G looks. it has grown on me...slap a 6MT in her...and well...nah....put that 3G skin right over that SHAWD chassis and i'd be all over it.

short answer....hmmmm....i won't be in the market for a replacement for a few more years. and the MDX will be on the chopping block assuming the 3G MDX meets my needs, otherwise i'll be waiting a bit longer perhaps. idk.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VQPower37
AtotheZ,

I would also suggest looking for a manual if u r into that if u r gunna do the swap from a fwd to an awd.
I don't know how to drive a manual and I am worried of damaging a 30k+ car. Maybe I should get a beater and use it to learn.

Originally Posted by Treblig
It does say "Pictures may not represent the actual car". You do certainly want to make sure your are getting what they are advertising though.
I believe they have that more for the new cars when they don't have actual pictures and just put a model pic. For pre-owned my experience has been that pictures on there are that of the car. If those weren't the pictures the dealer would have explained that already.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by AtotheZ
I don't know how to drive a manual and I am worried of damaging a 30k+ car. Maybe I should get a beater and use it to learn.

I believe they have that more for the new cars when they don't have actual pictures and just put a model pic. For pre-owned my experience has been that pictures on there are that of the car. If those weren't the pictures the dealer would have explained that already.
It's a lot easier than some experts make it out to be. You don't need to be heel toeing from day one. Honda MT are usually pretty smooth with nice clutch engagement so you'll learn in no time, another member here Pete TL learned how to drive MT on his 4G