Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need advice please

Hello folks. I am planning on buying a new car very shortly, and would really like to get into a 2012 TL with the Tech Package (not AWD.) I paid a visit to my local Acura dealer and the inventory is pretty scarce. They had 2 TL's with the tech package on the lot (excluding the colors I would not want- total of 7 overall.) Is it unreasonable to expect them to work with me on the sticker price? The salesman (who I was unable to dodge) made a point to tell me twice that their inventory was so low due to the Quake/Tsunami in Japan. I was hoping to get the car for 39k out the door. Can anyone offer any opinions or suggestions? Any helpful info would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
quake in japan has nothing to do with inventory.

80% of all acura parts are made and built in the US.

you should travel further,

call around,

i had to travel about 80 miles to get my car and the color i wanted.

you always have your options open.

if you need to hop over to another state to buy it.

price is always negotiable, if they tell you its not then its bs.

Last edited by potmilkz; 07-07-2011 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AcurafanKY (07-08-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get exactly the color and trim combo you want for a reasonable price that sits right with you. DO NOT SETTLE, you will regret it in the long run. The quake/tsunami thing is a big ad campaign that Acura is pushing right now to make their vehicles seem scarce and collectable, it's nothing more than a gimmick. Although my heart does go out to those families and lives touched by the tsunami, potmilkz is correct in that it barely effects Acura.
AcurafanKY (07-08-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
When I bought my TL six weeks ago they would sell me any front drive TL for dead invoice - no games, no adders to that. And yes, I'm talking about '12's.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
quake in japan has nothing to do with inventory.

80% of all acura parts are made and built in the US.

you should travel further,

call around,

i had to travel about 80 miles to get my car and the color i wanted.

you always have your options open.

if you need to hop over to another state to buy it.

price is always negotiable, if they tell you its not then its bs.
Actually I'm surprised you're making the statement regarding the earthquake having nothing to do with the limited supply of 2012 TLs.

If 80% of the parts are made and supplied here in the states, where does the remaining 20% of the parts come from? Canada?

Although I never would pay top dollar and would also drive 80 miles to cut a deal and get what I want.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hamma Tyme
Actually I'm surprised you're making the statement regarding the earthquake having nothing to do with the limited supply of 2012 TLs.
think about it, they build acura cars here in the US. 80% of the parts are manufacturered here in the us while a fraction of the parts are made in japan.

its nothing more than a mere sales scheme to get you to buy at full price.

this is common sense guys! dont believe what you read on the internet or what you have heard.

If 80% of the parts are made and supplied here in the states, where does the remaining 20% of the parts come from? Canada?
... we are talking about japan earthquake crisist and US.. what do you think were talking about?

Although I never would pay top dollar and would also drive 80 miles to cut a deal and get what I want.
good thinking
Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Instructor

think about it, they build acura cars here in the US. 80% of the parts are manufacturered here in the us while a fraction of the parts are made in japan.
its nothing more than a mere sales scheme to get you to buy at full price.

this is common sense guys! dont believe what you read on the internet or what you have heard.

... we are talking about japan earthquake crisist and US.. what do you think were talking about?

good thinking
You can't build new a new TL if you're missing a few parts. If you did, you would be driving a Yugo!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Some people refuse to believe the reason for the shortage is parts.. how many threads and how many arguments have we had about this? When we hear Toyota, Nissan and others talk about inventory interruptions...

It's getting old hearing Potmilk and others blame Acura (see The Conspiracy). If there was a lot full of cars.. then I could go along with the BS but... Doing what he suggests does not benefit Acura in the end.

OP, the law of supply and demand are always in effect. it is possible to get the car you want from other dealers via dealer trade. .. as others have said.. don't settle!
AcurafanKY (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
According to the GM at Sterling McCall Acura in Houston, his zone manager told him that the supply of new 2012 TLs should open up during the month of July and be back to normal by August.

Last edited by n-spring; 07-08-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM

You can't build new a new TL if you're missing a few parts. If you did, you would be driving a Yugo!
seriously.. do your research before you answer..

but since your lazy, here is the link

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=5939-en

and let me quote honda

"There is no immediate impact on Honda's operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America. The vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region. Honda is assessing the long-term impact, if any, on Honda auto production in North America, since some auto parts are supplied from Japan.
There will be no major impact on the availability of Honda products in North America. Honda Fit, Insight and CR-Z, and Acura TSX and RL are produced in Japan. A small percentage of CR-Vs are produced in Japan."

and before anyone states that its talking about HONDA's they also mean acura as well.

If there was a lot full of cars.. then I could go along with the BS but... Doing what he suggests does not benefit Acura in the end.
Your not buying a car to benefit acura, your buying it to benefit yourself by having a nice car at a reasonable price.

Just because one dealer says that there is a shortage doesn't mean there is.. I can guarantee you that one state over, there is a lot full of brand new Acura's including the TL.

It is all hear-say at the moment, saying that there is production issue when even HONDA has not confirmed it is a joke.

like i said before, its just a scheme for dealers to make money.

i mean if i told you that you can no longer get mugen parts because mugen has production issues that has not yet confirmed, would you pay full Invoice price for the part knowing that someone else in the US sells it for cheaper?

Last edited by potmilkz; 07-08-2011 at 11:15 AM.
cp3117 (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Suzuka Master

More FUD.. obviously the report you love so much is wrong cuz the CARS ARE NOT THERE...
oooh yeah, that's right, I forget about the warehouse in Kansas.. .. my bad
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i traveled across 2 states to pick mine up.
2010 awd white/umber tech package.
best choice ever!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
and let me quote honda
Shhhh....Stop posting facts around here.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

but.. what is the truth?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
[b]

Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
More FUD.. obviously the report you love so much is wrong cuz the CARS ARE NOT THERE...
oooh yeah, that's right, I forget about the warehouse in Kansas.. .. my bad
Small towns and city's dont always get new vehicles coming in.

This is why they stick to their "limited production" story knowing that its a very rural area.

come down to SOCAL and i can guarantee that you can find the model that your looking for within a 10-15 mile radius.

Just because OP cant get a vehicle in his area does not mean everywhere else is limited.

i mean your 12' BWP AWD is not rare at all in SOCAL. Two weeks ago i saw 2 of them sittin at a local dealer i go to for servicing.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TLsMD
i traveled across 2 states to pick mine up.
2010 awd white/umber tech package.
best choice ever!
thank you for being a smart consumer. this is how everyone should think when investing in 40k car. few hours of your time wouldn't kill you.

but.. what is the truth?
If the info i provided you directly from HONDA isn't setting your mind straight, then I don't think anything will.

Last edited by potmilkz; 07-08-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Believe what you want, since no amount of proof works for you. if you want to believe a "No more taxes" type of statement, be my guest. I am tired of arguing about it.

:brickwall:
Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Instructor

seriously.. do your research before you answer..

but since your lazy, here is the link

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=5939-en

and let me quote honda

"There is no immediate impact on Honda's operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America. The vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region. Honda is assessing the long-term impact, if any, on Honda auto production in North America, since some auto parts are supplied from Japan. There will be no major impact on the availability of Honda products in North America. Honda Fit, Insight and CR-Z, and Acura TSX and RL are produced in Japan. A small percentage of CR-Vs are produced in Japan."

and before anyone states that its talking about HONDA's they also mean acura as well.

Your not buying a car to benefit acura, your buying it to benefit yourself by having a nice car at a reasonable price.

Just because one dealer says that there is a shortage doesn't mean there is.. I can guarantee you that one state over, there is a lot full of brand new Acura's including the TL.

It is all hear-say at the moment, saying that there is production issue when even HONDA has not confirmed it is a joke.

like i said before, its just a scheme for dealers to make money.

i mean if i told you that you can no longer get mugen parts because mugen has production issues that has not yet confirmed, would you pay full Invoice price for the part knowing that someone else in the US sells it for cheaper?
Lazy? You are out of you're league making a statement like that being I doubt highly at 23 you accomplished anything near what I had done at twice your age. So here is a little friendly advise, try to treat people with a little respect who you don't know anything about. You will become more successful in life. Some friendly fatherly advise being I could be your father.

Now let's take a look at what I assume is a Acura News Wire. We know Acura and Honda fall under Honda Motor Company. We also know some cars are made here and some made in Japan. We also know some Honda/Acura cars are built with US and imported foreign parts. Now here is the question, the Acura TL is built in Ohio, so what percentage of parts are supplied domestically and how many parts are from Japan. If the flow of parts from Japan are disrupted by an earthquake, this will effect the amount of cars on the lot. Yes, I agree geographically there maybe more TLs available in cities and less in smaller towns. If 1 part comes from Japan, production will slow till the part is available to run the factory at full capacity.

So basically your information is correct, but there is more between the lines.
justnspace (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
There is no immediate impact on Honda's operations in North America. More than 80% of Honda and Acura products sold in the U.S. are produced in North America. The vast majority of automotive parts for Honda automobiles manufactured in North America are sourced in the region.

Honda is assessing the long-term impact, if any, on Honda auto production in North America, since some auto parts are supplied from Japan.

There will be no major impact on the availability of Honda products in North America. Honda Fit, Insight and CR-Z, and Acura TSX and RL are produced in Japan. A small percentage of CR-Vs are produced in Japan.

Honda has confirmed the wellbeing of nearly all Honda associates on assignment in Japan from North America, and continues to seek such confirmation.

Honda's operations in North America and globally will do everything they can to support the recovery of Honda's operations in Japan.
Keep in mind this material was dated March 11, 2011. How I read into this is, there would be no "immediate" impact as inventory for the short term future is typically already on the ground. Meanwhile, they have assessed how impacted the NA built vehicles are, which we probably will never be able to tell or effectively measure. They also stated no "major" impact, and I don't belive there is one, but that is different than "no" impact.

IMO there is a small impact on production either directly (parts shortage) or indirectly (causing slow sales in general so purposely limiting production and inventories) but I would imagine dealers are also holding out in attempt to drive up prices and sell what they have (naturally).

We are not really going to know the full, detailed truth. There has been conflicting reports from Honda as it is, and based on Acurazine, there are an increasing rate of individuals who can't get the trim or color combo they want. That may not necessarily be from decreased supply alone, it could just be from increased demand (due to the MMC) in areas Acura does not targeted as main demographics and who have low inventory levels in the first place.

There may not actually be an impact on TL production due to the situation in Japan and technically there may not be a "shortage" but bottomline, inventory levels don't appear to be what they should be for just introducing a well received MMC. I would imagine there should be some small agreeance on that part and we can attribute that to a number of reasons but I don't think we can take much as fact or truth so simply.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 07-08-2011 at 02:53 PM.
justnspace (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK folks. Thanks for the info so far. It is much appreciated. I got an offer from the dealer here for 41.3K out the door. This is their first offer. I would like to get it down to 40k out the door. Anyone else think this would be a reasonable offer, or is that lowballing?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Lazy? You are out of you're league making a statement like that being I doubt highly at 23 you accomplished anything near what I had done at twice your age. So here is a little friendly advise, try to treat people with a little respect who you don't know anything about. You will become more successful in life. Some friendly fatherly advise being I could be your father.

Now let's take a look at what I assume is a Acura News Wire. We know Acura and Honda fall under Honda Motor Company. We also know some cars are made here and some made in Japan. We also know some Honda/Acura cars are built with US and imported foreign parts. Now here is the question, the Acura TL is built in Ohio, so what percentage of parts are supplied domestically and how many parts are from Japan. If the flow of parts from Japan are disrupted by an earthquake, this will effect the amount of cars on the lot. Yes, I agree geographically there maybe more TLs available in cities and less in smaller towns. If 1 part comes from Japan, production will slow till the part is available to run the factory at full capacity.

So basically your information is correct, but there is more between the lines.
Well said... I am more than twice his age as well... and him thinking that I live in a such a small town.... LOL! Houston has several million.. about 5 or so... I am from SoCal and there are lots of small towns there... *shug*
justnspace (07-08-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Well said... I am more than twice his age as well... and him thinking that I live in a such a small town.... LOL! Houston has several million.. about 5 or so... I am from SoCal and there are lots of small towns there... *shug*
I watched a show on Discovery about states, cities, and how the borders were formed. So here is my question to you, what caused the rise of Houston in the 1960s and reason how she became the 4th largest city?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

I watched a show on Discovery about states, cities, and how the borders were formed. So here is my question to you, what caused the rise of Houston in the 1960s and reason how she became the 4th largest city?
I'd say it must be oil as Houston is commonly referred to as the oil capital of the US
Old 07-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Our local dealer, Performance in Chapel Hill, sells both BMW & Acura. When I was in a few weeks ago ordering a new car he had 42 Acura's in stock including 9 TL's (4 base, 4 base/tech, 1 SH-AWD). There are 19 MDX/RDX SUV's in stock which is their best selling car by a big margin over the TL.

If there truly is a parts shortage, where are all the SUV's coming from?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-08-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Instructor

I'd say it must be oil as Houston is commonly referred to as the oil capital of the US
No, air conditioning! I lived in Chicago for 5 years and most people think the "Windy City" name was derived from the cold wind blowing off Lake Michigan when actually it's named for the BSing politicians.

We better get back on topic before we get in trouble!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Our local dealer, Performance in Chapel Hill, sells both BMW & Acura. When I was in a few weeks ago ordering a new car he had 42 Acura's in stock including 9 TL's (4 base, 4 base/tech, 1 SH-AWD). There are 19 MDX/RDX SUV's in stock which is their best selling car by a big margin over the TL.

If there truly is a parts shortage, where are all the SUV's coming from?
I wonder if fist fights break out there on a daily basis...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I wonder if fist fights break out there on a daily basis...
Nah, did not see any fights while I was there. Just like most sports its the fans that get all whacked out & there were not enough at the Acura store to make a go of it.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM

This isn't a dick measuring contest.. by you stating that you are successful and implying that you are in some ways better than me honestly doesn't really mean anything to me.. infact it makes you look like a jackass for being cocky. but congratulations to you, you deserve a cookie.

whoa! i dont think i stated that you lived in a small town or city. *shug*

what winstrolvtec said is true, there is no actual proof that it has impacted inventory, thus it remains the same.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Pot, meet kettle

Since you think you know it all, what is the reason buyers can't get the car they want? Since it has noting to do with part or manufacturer shortages... please enlighten us, oh wise one.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 07-08-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Who is Cocky? Obviously you have no respect for anyone and feel as though nobody knows more then you. This has nothing to do with the size of one's johnson. It's about respect for those here and those around you. You have much to learn, Champ. I wish you well.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Pot, meet kettle

Since you think you know it all, what is the reason buyers can't get the car they want? Since it has noting to do with part or manufacturer shortages... please enlighten us, oh wise one.
Personally, I have no idea what Acura's problem is, but if its a parts shortage why are the high volume models, which consume more parts, still building inventory & moving to off the lot to customers?

Did they just decide to put the "scarce" resources into product lines that sells & not worry about the TL line?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Pot, meet kettle

Buyers just dont want to go thru the hassle of looking for the right one and settling with what they have.

Just because dealer says that they have low inventory doesn't mean all dealers are lacking of it. Outsource! drive alittle further, make some phone calls.

its funny how you and Hamma Tyme is only supporting this idea while SSGHATCH, JJSC5, N-spring, CP3117 and Bear-AvHistory is stating that there are no inventory issue.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

You are talking out of your ass now. Make up shit to support your theory that we should drive several states away to find what we are looking for .. but that does not mean low inventory?

BTW, the guys you mentioned, they did not say that there was no issue with inventory. Go back wand read what they said. We are talking TL inventory here.. Bear said they had loads of MDX, RDX, RL, and a FEW TL, no Advanced.. that means plenty of inventory? People on here talking about waiting months for their car.. yet.. no inventory trouble?

What are you smoking? Dude.. feel free to snort another line.. I am out of this whacked out conversation.. bye bye
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
According to "Cars.com", there are 2809 2012 TL's in stock. That is assuming that all dealers cars get picked up by this site. I have found they are pretty accurate btw. This is sorted by price, so you can see how many Advance SH-AWD's there are as well.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/new/201...102&yrId=39723
Stew4HD (07-08-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

How many dealers in USA? 250? 10 TL's per dealer? I checked 4 dealers in LA and found 2 SH-AWD Advance (Glendale Acura).
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you get a price break if you buy 80% of a TL? Do they FedEx you the missing 20% later? This thread is hilarious....I'm going to get some popcorn, I'll be right back.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Prime Mover
Do you get a price break if you buy 80% of a TL? Do they FedEx you the missing 20% later? This thread is hilarious....I'm going to get some popcorn, I'll be right back.
LOL.. yeah, I have 80% of my car in my garage.. the dealer said he'd let me know when the other 20% that he's secretly holding back to assure high prices will be released.

I think the show is about over but ..ya never know!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Glashub
How many dealers in USA? 250? 10 TL's per dealer? I checked 4 dealers in LA and found 2 SH-AWD Advance (Glendale Acura).
Actually I just checked...they're both FWD Advance. Just found 2 more FWD Advance in DSanta Monica. A total of 3 AWD - Tech, 1 6sp. Not exactly rolling in inventory.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Always worth it to shop around. I remember my first new car was a honda civic. I went to 12 dealerships in CT and none would touch the price I wanted. They all claimed they'd be losing money at that price. I drove to Chicoppee Mass and got the price for exactly the price I offered without any real haggling - I guess that dealership in Mass wasn't into selling cars for a profit.

Quick Reply: Need advice please