Nearing end of lease - options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nearing end of lease - options?

Hey all, long-time lurker. Started shopping for a new car, and I had a question about my situation.

I'm nearing the end of a lease on a G37, and have two payments left. I've been shopping around with the intention of deciding on what I want to get this summer, but while looking at the TL, I started talking to a salesman and wound up negotiating what I feel like is a pretty solid deal on a lease, and would like to try to do a deal now if possible.

What's the best way to handle the lease on the Infiniti? I was wondering if dealers are ever willing to make the last payment or two, or if I'm likely to be making payments on both cars for the next couple months if I do the deal now.

Also, I suspect anything I could get on a trade would likely be well under the lease payoff amount so the cheapest way out of the lease is probably making the last two payments and turning it in.

Anyway, just curious about potential solutions to this situation. Any thoughts?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by robosapien
Hey all, long-time lurker. Started shopping for a new car, and I had a question about my situation.

I'm nearing the end of a lease on a G37, and have two payments left. I've been shopping around with the intention of deciding on what I want to get this summer, but while looking at the TL, I started talking to a salesman and wound up negotiating what I feel like is a pretty solid deal on a lease, and would like to try to do a deal now if possible.

What's the best way to handle the lease on the Infiniti? I was wondering if dealers are ever willing to make the last payment or two, or if I'm likely to be making payments on both cars for the next couple months if I do the deal now.

Also, I suspect anything I could get on a trade would likely be well under the lease payoff amount so the cheapest way out of the lease is probably making the last two payments and turning it in.

Anyway, just curious about potential solutions to this situation. Any thoughts?
I guess the easiest thing to do is to ask the dealership if they're willing to make your last two lease payments. Tell them that your lease of a TL is contingent on them doing that.

Personally, I'd ask the dealer what the selling price is of the TL. Find out the money factor and the residual is.

Ask them if they take on the two remaining lease payments, and what the bottom line cost of the TL will be including those.

A dealer would much rather sell you a car now than risk having you walk, perhaps never to return again.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
You don't have to turn in the lease, if you're lucky you may make money on the deal. What you need to do is find out how much it would be to buy out your G, versus what the value is. If you are lucky, the value is higher than the payoff in which case the Acura dealer owes you money towards the new lease. I've had more than one lease where the buyout at the end was less than the trade in value. Sometimes you get lucky.

Last edited by NJ SHAWD; 04-24-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome to AZ and congrats on your pending purchase. Some lease writers actually WON'T let you turn your car in early. This happened to me in 04. After doing the deal and leaving my 2k TL with the dealer, I got a call back from them a few days later saying I had to have the car in my possession for the entire lease term so for 2 months I had 2 TL's in my drive. Obviously I drove the 2k more and even taught one of my daughters to drive in it! It might be something you should check into especially if the lease is underwritten by a bank.

Personally I wouldn't turn in the car if I had to make the last 2 payments. To me it's money thrown down the drain. You're paying for something you can't use. If the dealer says he'll make the payments, make sure he does that and doesn't roll them over into your new lease. Let us know what you end up doing