Narrowed my search down to two cars: help me decide which to pick!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Narrowed my search down to two cars: help me decide which to pick!

After a 6 month+ search for a 2012-2014 manual tranny TL (white or silver preferred) I've narrowed it down to 2 candidates:
Both are 2013, white, and equipped the same. Both are one owner cars. Both are CPO cars at Acura dealers. Both have clean carfaxs. Both appear to be in good shape.

However, there is a difference in mileage and in service history.
The first has 44k miles and I was able to find all of the service records. In fact, the previous owner had an Acura maintenance plan and everything was done on time. Oil changes were done at approx. 7500 mile intervals throughout, rear diff fluid was changed at 15 and 30k, manual tranny fluid changed at 30k, air filters, etc seemed to all have been done. Plenty of brake pad left and tires in decent shape.

The second car has only 27k - so it seems like a no-brainier, however, there are no service records that I can find except for mention of 2 oil changes at 14k and 19k at a Mobil oil Indy shop on the carfax. That doesn't mean that the other oil changes and services weren't done, however, I cannot find any records of it. I even called the Acura dealer who sold the car and other than the initial prep they have no other records for this car.

Also note there is a $1000 difference in asking price for the two cars.

So, given that buying a used car is a gamble, which is the lowest risk - the higher mileage one with proof of a well maintained history or the lower mileage, little to no service history, one?

what would you do?

And yes, in either case, I plan on getting an Indy mechanic to check the car out before I buy.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Well the lower mileage one would have 17k more factory warranty as a bonus. Plus the 44k manual had the 1st change at 30k so that is thrown out in the comparison
Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anicra
Well the lower mileage one would have 17k more factory warranty as a bonus. Plus the 44k manual had the 1st change at 30k so that is thrown out in the comparison
yeah, the lower mileage one would have 17k more factory warranty but it expires in 9 months. The 44k car has only 6k left but 11 months. I probably won't drive much more than 6k over the next 11 months so the mileage may not be as big a factor for the factory warranty as you might expect.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
The mileage is significantly different enough that I would go with the lower mileage one. While the one with 44k looks like it has been taken care of well, the one with 27k hasn't really been driven long enough for damage to occur.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Check out the 2013 TSB thread to be aware of the potential known issues, especially TSB 13-024, which affects VIN 19UUA9...DA000001 thru 19UUA9...DA005530, since it could result in a new engine block.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945425/

Ask the dealer for the VIN Inquiry Acknowledgement. It will have some history on the car and a Warranty Repair History section that should be reviewed.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EE4Life
Check out the 2013 TSB thread to be aware of the potential known issues, especially TSB 13-024, which affects VIN 19UUA9...DA000001 thru 19UUA9...DA005530, since it could result in a new engine block.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945425/

Ask the dealer for the VIN Inquiry Acknowledgement. It will have some history on the car and a Warranty Repair History section that should be reviewed.
What exactly is the "VIN Inquiry Acknowledgement"? When I spoke with a service advisor he said that if the car was not serviced at their dealership they cannot see the service history.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:13 PM
Forum Contributor

Originally Posted by Otherbmw
What exactly is the "VIN Inquiry Acknowledgement"? When I spoke with a service advisor he said that if the car was not serviced at their dealership they cannot see the service history.
Do a Google image search for VIN Inquiry Acknowledgement and the first image will show an example.

The dealer may black out the names in the Owner Information section for privacy reasons.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Lower mileage car. Very little maintenance is required during 27K miles.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
In either case, get an extended warranty because you just never know. I personally would get the lower mileage one. I also have a '13 6MT with 44k miles currently and haven't had any major issues besides replacing the propeller shaft under warranty and the oil consumption. I add a 1 quart between every oil change. I've kept up with all the maintenance and service as well. So very similar to the higher mileage one you are considering.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Go with the lower mileage one as you dont know how good of a driver the previous owners were, the less miles on the clutch the better, imo.

Rgds
Old 07-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
I would get Acura (AcuraPlus) extended warranty. I have used mine a lot so it was worth it.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Lower mileage one. I bought mine with almost no service records with 11,000 miles on it and the car came to me like new. I bought it last year.
Outside of the air bag debacle, and that is a big one, its been perfect.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Did find out (it took time to appear on the carfax) that in both cars' case they were purchased by the current selling Acura dealer through an auction. Don't know if that matters.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
The only thing in question is oil changes on lower mileage, basically did they miss one and the maintain period on the rear diff ( I am not worried about the transaxle after 27K)? Correct
Personally with all things the same, I would pick the lower mileage ones unless something is really amiss.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anicra
The only thing in question is oil changes on lower mileage, basically did they miss one and the maintain period on the rear diff ( I am not worried about the transaxle after 27K)? Correct
Personally with all things the same, I would pick the lower mileage ones unless something is really amiss.
is the rear diff service interval 15k? Is there some kind of electronic reminder for it?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Believe the rear diff is 30K, and there is no reminder.

is the rear diff service interval 15k? Is there some kind of electronic reminder for it?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Either way you cannot go wrong...

Just see what circumstances suit you better...
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
UA-6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bridgewater Acura? I test drove the 27k mile TL yesterday and the car was okay. I think there is something wrong with it. It only come with One smart key. I am planning on getting the dark grey one tomorrow cause they are giving me a better price plus its ceritfied. The Sale guy Peter was too pushy and didn't want to give me any discount on the white one.

After a 6 month+ search for a 2012-2014 manual tranny TL (white or silver preferred) I've narrowed it down to 2 candidates:
Both are 2013, white, and equipped the same. Both are one owner cars. Both are CPO cars at Acura dealers. Both have clean carfaxs. Both appear to be in good shape.

However, there is a difference in mileage and in service history.
The first has 44k miles and I was able to find all of the service records. In fact, the previous owner had an Acura maintenance plan and everything was done on time. Oil changes were done at approx. 7500 mile intervals throughout, rear diff fluid was changed at 15 and 30k, manual tranny fluid changed at 30k, air filters, etc seemed to all have been done. Plenty of brake pad left and tires in decent shape.

The second car has only 27k - so it seems like a no-brainier, however, there are no service records that I can find except for mention of 2 oil changes at 14k and 19k at a Mobil oil Indy shop on the carfax. That doesn't mean that the other oil changes and services weren't done, however, I cannot find any records of it. I even called the Acura dealer who sold the car and other than the initial prep they have no other records for this car.

Also note there is a $1000 difference in asking price for the two cars.

So, given that buying a used car is a gamble, which is the lowest risk - the higher mileage one with proof of a well maintained history or the lower mileage, little to no service history, one?

what would you do?

And yes, in either case, I plan on getting an Indy mechanic to check the car out before I buy.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 08 NBP TL
Bridgewater Acura? I test drove the 27k mile TL yesterday and the car was okay. I think there is something wrong with it. It only come with One smart key. I am planning on getting the dark grey one tomorrow cause they are giving me a better price plus its ceritfied. The Sale guy Peter was too pushy and didn't want to give me any discount on the white one.
Yes at Bridgewater. The dark grey one actually originated at the dealer closest to me. I'm sending you a PM - I'd like to hear more about the car if you've got a minute.

Last edited by Otherbmw; 07-14-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Forum Contributor

I believe the first rear differential fluid service should come up around 15K.

It will be Maintenance Minder sub item 6 - Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped).

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL
Believe the rear diff is 30K, and there is no reminder.
See above. You may be thinking of Maintenance Minder sub item 3 - Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped) that should come up around 30K.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone driven the Crystal Black one at Smithtown Acura? Certified, and listed for $26,911. Does the price seem reasonable for the mileage (43,347)?
Old 07-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd go against the grain here (like I like to do sometimes ) and say that lower mileage doesn't mean less wear and tear. Lower mileage can mean that the car was a weekend car, the car was driven on many short trips, or the car is a "city car" with hard miles on it.

The TL doesn't strike me as being someone's weekend car (completely possible, but I'd tend to think that they'd get a convertible or some other sportier car), which brings me to assume that the car was driven on many short trips, which doesn't give the car parts even time to warm up to a proper operating temperature, or the car was driven in the city (hard miles on any car). Just my 2 cents on this, I tend to have better luck with cars that were driven more than average compared to ones I've bought that were driven less than average.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
I'd go against the grain here (like I like to do sometimes ) and say that lower mileage doesn't mean less wear and tear. Lower mileage can mean that the car was a weekend car, the car was driven on many short trips, or the car is a "city car" with hard miles on it.

Hmm, engine sludge....

The TL doesn't strike me as being someone's weekend car (completely possible, but I'd tend to think that they'd get a convertible or some other sportier car), which brings me to assume that the car was driven on many short trips, which doesn't give the car parts even time to warm up to a proper operating temperature, or the car was driven in the city (hard miles on any car). Just my 2 cents on this, I tend to have better luck with cars that were driven more than average compared to ones I've bought that were driven less than average.
I'd be worried about engine sludge, and other issues, so I think I may agree here...

I love really high milage vehicles because they're usually owned by commuters that rely daily on their vehicles reliability, and will stop at nothing to retain their piece of mind...