My Review - 4th Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Review - 4th Gen TL

ok so i got to test drive the much awaited 4th gen acura tl tech package. the one i drove was grey in color with black interior. basically in this review, you will see few pictures I took from Acura Sherway, I bought my 3rd gen tl from them so got an invitation and just went for it to see if it is a good replacement.

Interior:
It is much more upgraded, the leather seats are much more comfortable and strong at the same time, its a lot more upscale in the interior, the gauges are sexy, the steering is a lot fatter and feels much better also it seemed quite smaller. the buttons in the center console dont seem too crowded. the navigation system is good, the sound system was kickass, the hard drive makes it even better. but I think the car has too many buttons, considering there are small buttons even for the fuel tank and the trunk. buttons are well placed though, easy to reach and small in size.

Exterior:
as we all saw is not upto my standards, it's grille is a big concern, it doesn't look that bad face to face but it does on camera and from a distant position. the rear is too overdone, the muffler tips are too big, the reflectors are not in a good position, the car is very very bulky and from the back, I found it very ugly, when you have the aero kit on, the front looks much more sexy. the headlights are not that attractive, personally, I had my car pulled beside the 3g tl and honestly, I still like my tl from the exterior, its so much more sporty and good looking. our model is actually a lot more handsome. this one did go to the luxury side more than the sporty.

Performance:

this is the main factor for me when I purchase a car and to me the TL did just great, it was good, the paddle shifters were very responsive, the shifts are much better than the one in our 5AT TL. I actually drove the whole time with the paddle shifters, it was so much more fun. however, I did not feel much off a difference powerwise, it does say its 280bhp and I believe Acura, but its just that my car feels as powerful as this tl. its a much better designed car with a broader thinking, technologically, its miles ahead of our models, but engine wise, I have to wait for the manual versions of the TL SH-Awd and the base model too.

Conclusion:
the prices are very very attractive, its cheap in the US and its 39,900 starting price for us in Canada. 45 grand can get you the new tl with some extra features if you wish as well. I drove the tech package and it seemed like a good buy for me. I would buy it if it was my time for a change. I just need to have some more time for my current tl. some of my friends and colleagues said, the new tl looks like a goat, but I decided to see it upfront because I did not see any on the roads yet. the salesman who helped me out was repeatedly saying, "I want you to be one of the first ones to drive this baby". I remember when I bought the 3G TL, they would say dont compare it to the BMW 5 Series, 5 Series is much bigger and in a upper class and I agree it is. But today, the salesmen were saying, you cant compare this with the 5 Series because Acura is at a totally different level, the tl is much bigger, much more luxurious and all. I agree to the fact that the e60 5er is in the market for quite a long and it will be replaced too.

But I guess, acura just bumped it up in terms of size. Its really big, though interior room did not seem that much of a difference than the 3g. one thing that did surprise me in the rear seats was the headroom, it did not seem like much headroom is there. I am just 5'7 and still it wasn't that spacious to me. this is really a good car for the buck! i liked the new tl, though I think acura could have done better design wise, the grille just stands out too ugly to me. i mean if acura could bring such a sexy car such as our 3g tl and now the new tsx which I think is really good, then why did they go wrong with this tl. its not that ugly but it aint that good looking either. anyways check out the pictures below and leave comments if you wish to.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks for the review!
do u have no pic of the white tl?
i saw a grey one and white one in markham acura ......the rear is SUPER ugly without the lip spoiler.....
i agree with u, the new tl is more luxury than sport
Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Racer

sorry, thats all the pictures i took.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice, detailed review. As a 4G owner, I agree with most of the stuff said here....except styling of course, which I think is very "bold" and modern and which differentiates the 4G TL from a lot of boring "vanilla" cars out there. I would also add that the 4G TL definately has more power (and power you can feel) compared to the 3G TL. After owning the car now for close to a month, I can feel the car actually getting more and more responsive each time it's driven. Throttle response is lightning quick and when you press on the gas hard from a stop, you will get a nice push into the seat as the car launches ahead with authority. (My previous 3G TL felt tame in comparison). Those who test drove the car and say it's slow probably had a car with an engine that wasn't fully broken-in or had one with a "lazy" transmission.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Racer

I gotta tell you, you made a wise choice by sticking to the new TL. as an acura owner myself, I would be willing to purchase the new TL over the audi a4, bmw 5 series and the mercedes e-class simply because for the sticker price we pay, you cannot get a better deal than this. 280bhp, v6 3.5 litre with VTEC, just the word 'vtec' makes me go for it over any other car.

reason i did not like styling, its too big and looks sort of clumsy to me though the performance just blew me away, I believed it would be a really clumsy ride but it wasn't. it was very very comfortable, better suspension and great handling too. the salesman said "dont be afraid to floor it", I did on one of the streets nearby, easily reached 60mph without a problem. it pulls really well, i believe i cannot say its a much much better car in terms of performance over mine is simply because I love my current TL. it has no engine mods except the CAI and still I think it can take on the big boys.

I think the only car that can give trouble for this one's sales is the Infiniti G37 Sedan. Lexus ES/GS wont be a problem anymore, it is a much better car than those. The BMW 5 Series, the Mercedes Benz E-Class is no more a match simply because those are outdated models right now. The Audi A4 would be a good match but come on, I wouldn't go from a TL to a A4. good choice though, anyone who purchases a new tl made a smart move, but I guess I will have to wait for the stick versions to come out!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by auto_freak
I gotta tell you, you made a wise choice by sticking to the new TL. as an acura owner myself, I would be willing to purchase the new TL over the audi a4, bmw 5 series and the mercedes e-class simply because for the sticker price we pay, you cannot get a better deal than this. 280bhp, v6 3.5 litre with VTEC, just the word 'vtec' makes me go for it over any other car.

reason i did not like styling, its too big and looks sort of clumsy to me though the performance just blew me away, I believed it would be a really clumsy ride but it wasn't. it was very very comfortable, better suspension and great handling too. the salesman said "dont be afraid to floor it", I did on one of the streets nearby, easily reached 60mph without a problem. it pulls really well, i believe i cannot say its a much much better car in terms of performance over mine is simply because I love my current TL. it has no engine mods except the CAI and still I think it can take on the big boys.

I think the only car that can give trouble for this one's sales is the Infiniti G37 Sedan. Lexus ES/GS wont be a problem anymore, it is a much better car than those. The BMW 5 Series, the Mercedes Benz E-Class is no more a match simply because those are outdated models right now. The Audi A4 would be a good match but come on, I wouldn't go from a TL to a A4. good choice though, anyone who purchases a new tl made a smart move, but I guess I will have to wait for the stick versions to come out!
You're right about the new G37 sedan. I think that car will be the 4G's closest competitor, although the new G will still be a few K's more than a comparably-equipped TL. I think that those buyers who want more sport will gravitate towards the G, while those who want more luxury (and a softter ride) will prefer the new TL.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
You're right about the new G37 sedan. I think that car will be the 4G's closest competitor, although the new G will still be a few K's more than a comparably-equipped TL. I think that those buyers who want more sport will gravitate towards the G, while those who want more luxury (and a softter ride) will prefer the new TL.
A loaded G37 Sedan is aroun $40K with comparable features to a 4G TL Tech. The G37 Sport really would be closer to a the SH-AWD. And as someone that has agonized onver my new car itch lately, I can tell you the thing that to me hurts the G35/G37 is the ride is not quite as good as a TL and the G Navi blows! No where near as flexible as the TL even compared to a 3G. Their Navi locks out to only voice while the car is moving, and even then you only get 5 choices of places unless you stop the car (DOH!) and the category list is les, and in the end their screen is slitghtly smaller and now compared to the 4G hi-res screen it looks very weak. It does have a nicer trip/feul/etc functions via the Navi screen then the TL and it does have 3D view for NAVI, but overall Acura Navi is far better. But as much as I want to liek the 4G it does nto do it for me, so my choice is drive the 3G another year or 2 and hope TL beak and butt get toned down or just jump to a G37 at some point since that car is sleek and sexy looking compared to the 4G, and yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

I'm really digging the look of the white TL with the lip kit. The overall face came together really well; I don't really mind the big shield at all.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
A loaded G37 Sedan is aroun $40K with comparable features to a 4G TL Tech. The G37 Sport really would be closer to a the SH-AWD. And as someone that has agonized onver my new car itch lately, I can tell you the thing that to me hurts the G35/G37 is the ride is not quite as good as a TL and the G Navi blows! No where near as flexible as the TL even compared to a 3G. Their Navi locks out to only voice while the car is moving, and even then you only get 5 choices of places unless you stop the car (DOH!) and the category list is les, and in the end their screen is slitghtly smaller and now compared to the 4G hi-res screen it looks very weak. It does have a nicer trip/feul/etc functions via the Navi screen then the TL and it does have 3D view for NAVI, but overall Acura Navi is far better. But as much as I want to liek the 4G it does nto do it for me, so my choice is drive the 3G another year or 2 and hope TL beak and butt get toned down or just jump to a G37 at some point since that car is sleek and sexy looking compared to the 4G, and yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The '09 G37 still looks exactly the same as the previous generation. While that's not really a "bad" thing, to me, it looks old and "dated" compared to the bold design of the 4G TL......and yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AsianRage
I'm really digging the look of the white TL with the lip kit. The overall face came together really well; I don't really mind the big shield at all.
yeah, from the front, the white tl was just kickass, the showroom salesmen were just staring at it, everyone's attention was on this particular model. If i buy the new tl, i will definitely take the aero kit and the 19 inch rims, the choices of rims are good too, not that bad.

The '09 G37 still looks exactly the same as the previous generation. While that's not really a "bad" thing, to me, it looks old and "dated" compared to the bold design of the 4G TL......and yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
i have to agree here, the new G is just a facelifted model with an upgraded engine, the new TL is completely redesigned and redeveloped. it is based on the 2008 accord, but nonetheless the accord is one of the finest cars in modern history. even though infiniti has a good name and the g37 is a great looking car with lots of ponies, i would never settle for a nissan or its other brands. their reliability issue is very bad and nowhere near honda/acura. though nissan has changed after Carlos Ghosn took the lead, it has improved a lot and their designs are one of the finest. I still think a tl sh-awd with a stick can beat the new G37S 6 speed manual.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

You think the 07/08/09 G looks exactly liek the 03-06? Or you mean the G37 looks like the 07/08 G35? The 07/08 G35 and 09 G37 are same generation, the G37 is just their MMC. The 1G G35 was more flat sides and more angled where the 2G G3x is evolutionary and curvey hwhil still clearly showing it's heritage. Of course IMO.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Acuras Only in

I know this is a bit off topic here, but I just got hold of a MotorTrend & they have a complied list of SUV/trucks of 09 models. If I remember correctly, Nissans' models scored higher than Honda, Toyota, Lexus, or Acura; but Infiniti stays about the same as Acuras & Lexus.

Seriously beauty is in the eye of beholder .... for me personally, i would have to go with Toyota/lexus or Acura/Honda trucks/SUVS ...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Advanced

You guys who have been in the new car, is the sound system better then the 2004-2008 crap? I have 07 and the sound isnt up to snuff obviously.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shooter
I know this is a bit off topic here, but I just got hold of a MotorTrend & they have a complied list of SUV/trucks of 09 models. If I remember correctly, Nissans' models scored higher than Honda, Toyota, Lexus, or Acura; but Infiniti stays about the same as Acuras & Lexus.

Seriously beauty is in the eye of beholder .... for me personally, i would have to go with Toyota/lexus or Acura/Honda trucks/SUVS ...
ahh I did not get some of what you said, but I ofcourse wouldn't count on magazines for such ratings. motortrend is no good source either, but for all types of reliability and quality, honda and toyota are miles ahead of nissan, which means acura/lexus is also quite ahead of infiniti. in terms of suv's for real 4x4 action, toyota is unbeatable in the JDM Sector.

Originally Posted by flipper2001
You guys who have been in the new car, is the sound system better then the 2004-2008 crap? I have 07 and the sound isnt up to snuff obviously.
sound system is indeed better, but I dont know why you dont like the 3g sound systems though, i am not really into modding the sh*t out of the soundsystem with a kickass woofer and amplifiers, but all i know for stock, our TL's have a decent sound setup especially when you play DVD-A.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,870 Likes on 14,008 Posts
Nice review!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Nice review!
thanks man!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Instructor

I drove 09 Tl last night...man what a car so smooth and fast. I will hold off for 2 years and by then all the bugs will be fixed too. I like the aero kit and 19" rims baby. Next month going to test drive the Sh-awd....

BTW Nice review!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rugel
I drove 09 Tl last night...man what a car so smooth and fast. I will hold off for 2 years and by then all the bugs will be fixed too. I like the aero kit and 19" rims baby. Next month going to test drive the Sh-awd....

BTW Nice review!!!
thank you, fixing the bugs do take some time, i will be waiting for the type S stick version if it does come out. i am hoping it will. but they have to do something with the grille to get us back with Acura.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

so there is no TL SH-AWD demo around GTA for test drive now?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by AznSupastar
so there is no TL SH-AWD demo around GTA for test drive now?
No, because the car haven't been released yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Racer

coming november, it will be in the gta showrooms.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Nov yes!

Hey Auto_freak wher u live in toronto man and you got angel eyes on your car.....iwant those to man...maybe you can help me...i live in brampton.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Racer

Nov yes!

Hey Auto_freak wher u live in toronto man and you got angel eyes on your car.....iwant those to man...maybe you can help me...i live in brampton.
I live in North York, Don Mills & Steeles Intersection...I can hook u up with the guy who is helping me with the angel eyes, just let this weekend go, I am getting it fixed by tomorrow. If his work is good, only then I'll refer you.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good review...

but the car still looks ugly.....
Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL1999
good review...

but the car still looks ugly.....
lol i guess no review is gonna help us dig this car that well eh. its just that all of us have seen acura doing such extraordinary upgrades from the 1G TL to the 2G, then the 3G and now this. It will take a lot of time to recognize this car as handsome as it was from its previous models. sales in acura sherway has been indicating that the car isnt selling well at all, they have one of the largest inventory in canada and still it isn't doing well. hopefully the tl sh-awd will sell better!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Instructor

I live in North York, Don Mills & Steeles Intersection...I can hook u up with the guy who is helping me with the angel eyes, just let this weekend go, I am getting it fixed by tomorrow. If his work is good, only then I'll refer you.

Ok thx man, let me know.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thought I'd buy it but....Lower interior headroom + Smaller sun roof + Less trunk (boot) space = it's either an RL or BMW here I come.....

The 4G is a move towards sportier/compact and not luxury....not even luxury sport. Very disappointing.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like a maxima!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mayflowerman
Thought I'd buy it but....Lower interior headroom + Smaller sun roof + Less trunk (boot) space = it's either an RL or BMW here I come.....

The 4G is a move towards sportier/compact and not luxury....not even luxury sport. Very disappointing.

WOW very surprising as almost every one feels the opposite, the car has grown in dimensions and softened up a move more toward luxury with a sport flare. You want a small trunk go look at a G35 it is smaller (usability wise) than a TL.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
I saw one in person last night. Like the TSX, it looks way better in person IMO. I don't think it will be a huge seller for many reasons, though.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Hey auto_freak any news about your light....how they look?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Racer

Hey auto_freak any news about your light....how they look?
to me its amazing bro! people have been turning their heads quite more often at my car. anyways, pics are coming up in a new thread tonight.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Suzuka Master

to me its amazing bro! people have been turning their heads quite more often at my car. anyways, pics are coming up in a new thread tonight.

Yeah, but what are they thinking?

just kidding...
Old 10-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Nice can't wait man!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess what u 6speed freaks! The New G37 Sedan with 7speed auto, and goes 0-60 5sec flat, and get 18mpg city. While the man get 0-60 in 5.2, with 18mpg city, I personally think the 4g Tl has no comparison with the new g37 at all. The they even updated it with new interoir features, it looks 10x better then the TL.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Guess what u 6speed freaks! The New G37 Sedan with 7speed auto, and goes 0-60 5sec flat, and get 18mpg city. While the man get 0-60 in 5.2, with 18mpg city, I personally think the 4g Tl has no comparison with the new g37 at all. The they even updated it with new interoir features, it looks 10x better then the TL.

So go buy yourself a G37 and hang out at the Infiniti forums. What are you doing here anyways? Everytime you post, you have something bad or negative to say about the 4G TL. If it bothers you so much, go be an Nissan or Infiniti fan-boy or whatever they call it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Instructor

Honda owns Nissan!!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
Yeah, but what are they thinking?

just kidding...
LMAO! to be honest, the colours dont match at all, high beam headlights are yellow, the led is 6000k i believe the projectors are 4300k as standard, so doesnt match much, I usually drive with the angel eyes on and the LEDs on

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
you are only considering performance and nothing else. The TL is a big bang for the buck and its finishing and quality cannot be compared to any Infinitis. The Acura brand is much more upscale and more comparable to the BMW & Mercedes Lineups. The new TL is really a good replacement, its worth the hard work they put in. Maybe the looks are controversial, but driving it is a great pleasure indeed.

So go buy yourself a G37 and hang out at the Infiniti forums. What are you doing here anyways? Everytime you post, you have something bad or negative to say about the 4G TL. If it bothers you so much, go be an Nissan or Infiniti fan-boy or whatever they call it.
ignore his posts bro. he is probably commenting like that because he still cannot prove that he actually owns a TL! jealousy leads to many things in life.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Racer

Honda owns Nissan!!
damn right!!! btw, couldnt take any pics today, rained the whole day bro, tomorrow will try my level best, do you need Sams number, i can send you via pm.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Wild Child

Originally Posted by mayflowerman

An again, still a $30k car. Dont forget that. You 're comparing it to a car thats nearly 15k more or depending on which BMW youre scoping, TWICE as much. If you got money like that to throw around, then your concern aint a sunroof or a trunk when a Z4 is a 90 grand 2-seater.

Quick Reply: My Review - 4th Gen TL