My 2012 TL SH-AWD Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My 2012 TL SH-AWD Review

Hey all,
So I am no "car expert" but I have owned a LOT of cars ranging over a LOT of different price ranges. I have owned beaters/Honda Civics up to Mercedes/BMW/Infiniti. They have been family cars, SUVs and pure sports cars (Prelude SH, Mustang GT, Corvette). I have also owned other "sports sedans" from old school Nissan Maxima SE to Audi A6 2.7T sport (up chipped, aftermarket coil overs, exhaust..) and Infiniti M45 sport. So I have a good variety of car experience under my belt.
Likewise, I am not a Acura fanboy or troll. I have always respected what the TL was for the $$$ and have checked them out a couple of times over the years. I finally bought a 2012 SH-AWD Tech that I have been driving for about 6 months and felt it was time to give it a full review.

Looks
This is very subjective. I never liked the "beak" and thought the new nose was an improvement though slightly plain. Front 3/4" view is nice. Trunk isn't really my thing and I don't really love the rear view. I don't hate it either...just kind of MEH.

Engine
The 3.7 engine is pretty nice. Smooth with a fairly wide power range although it feels a little soft on torque at the low end (<2500RPM). When purchased I compared against an Infiniti M37 and that engine is FAR more thrashy and FAR more peaky. This engine is smooth, sounds pretty good and pulls well.

Steering
I like the weighting of the steering but the "feel" is weak. To understand the difference you really need to push the car to it's limits and get the front wheels squealing a little. In a "good" steering feel car you will actually feel the steering wheel lighten and get feedback that the tires are slipping. In this car you hear the squeal but don't feel it. Over all size of the steering wheel is good and I like the thickness. Wish the leather was perforated which gives a little better grip but that is minor.

Handling
Again somewhat subjective but I think it has a very good balance on firmness/compliance. I got the SH-AWD and knew it was a sport suspension. Yes it can "crash" a little over big bumps but usually it handles them with minor interior shake. Plus, the fit/finish so far has been very good. I haven't noticed any body rattles or creaks as a result of the stiffness. When tossed around it sticks fairly well and I suspect would be even better with some real summer rubber. The SH-AWD is nice but it requires a different style of driving. Basically you have to get the car to set and then accelerate mid-curve. That allows the SH-AWD to send power to the rear wheel and rotate the car. If you let off the gas the SH-AWD does nothing and the car will slightly understeer/plow but I'll take that any day over a loose rear on the streets (read Prelude SH..if you lifted while the SH was active the tail was likely to come around which you couldn't control).
My gripe here is the SH-AWD preference to put most of the power to the front wheels. I REALLY wish it was configurable or switch it when I go to "sport" mode. Make it 60/40 F->R normally but when I switch to sport make it 40/60 or 30/70. That would be a big improvement.

Transmission
Pretty smooth shifting but certainly leans towards fuel savings. Still, will downshift fairly quickly when prodded or you can always manually shift. Shift speed is okay for an auto...well behind a dual-clutch. As far as manually shifting I deduct points for auto shifting out of 1st unless it's floored I asked for manual.. don't override me. Besides that it reasonable overall.

Brakes
Not overly impressed. They are "average". Peddle feel is okay. Not as bad as some brake by wire systems I have felt on Mercedes or mushy like some Chevys. Not as good as other performance sedans I have driven (BMW has been one of the best along with my Corvette)

Fit & Finish
Overall good. I have no rogue squeaks or rattles yet but if Acura really wants to compete with the big boys it needs to have a less "empty metal" sound/feel. The drivers door is okay although a little light, the rear doors close with a "bong" sound. Same with the trunk... "bong!". Open and close the door on a Mercedes...almost silent. Do it on a BMW and it will have more clunk but it is heavy feels like a bank vault. This car... feels like a Honda.

Interior
Seats decent. Wish for a few more adjustments but they are the right mix of firm/soft. No fatigue after long drives. Dash is clear until you get to the center button hell area. I appreciate multiple ways to do things but it took me a while to figure out all the little nuances. I have seen my wife struggle many times to just find the button/setting she is looking for. A good test for me is my teenage son...if someone from the iPod generation sits there for multiple minutes trying to figure out how to stream bluetooth from his iPod to the stereo it is far from perfect. Only other bitch would be the sunglass holder is lacking enough padding. Sometimes the glasses rattle against the plastic that isn't covered with padding.

Technology
Stereo rocks for a factory setup. Only car I had that was in the same ballpark was my Infiniti M45 with 14 channel Bose. I realize there is better stuff out there but this one puts my wife's Mercedes Harmon Kardon to shame.
Nav is good although Nav Traffic is abysmal in my area (Boston MA) for some reason. Only shows about 5-6 major roads and stops at the NH border for some reason.
Ipod integration is pretty good. One of the better I have dealt with.
Bluetooth streaming could use some upgrades.. Doesn't show artist/song and switching devices is a process. How about a direct option from the streaming screen to pick a new device instead of having to go to menu/phone/connect blah blah blah. How about controls other than play/pause?
Lack of HD radio is a little behind the times.
Using the center dash dial is also outdated. Center console knobs are more comfortable and easy to reach. Still, the system works well once you "get" it.

Other Things
Dual Xenons would be nice. High beams feel lame next to low beam Xenons.
Gas mileage has been pretty good. I mix highway/city and days of just cruising with back road blasts and I average about 23.5MPG in hilly New England.

So that's my general feedback. Nice car. No world beater but neither is the price. Overall I'm moderately happy with the car but not sure if I will keep it long term. It seems to do most things well but nothing excellent. It's sporty on one hand but kind of like a fancy Accord on the other. It's quick but not "fast". The tech is good but not the best out there. Same with the drive. Steering/brakes are okay but not great although handling is very good. Front drive bias takes away some of the fun factor as well. Engine is very good with broad power overall but a little soft on low end torque. Once about 3500RPM though she starts to open up nicely.

Feel free to flame on if you don't agree. Just giving my impressions for others since I frequently come to forums before I buy a car to get a general feel from the enthusiasts!
The following 4 users liked this post by bletour:
ExpensiveWino32 (08-21-2013), hadokenuh (08-07-2013), hddnav (08-07-2013), weather (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by bletour
Handling
The SH-AWD is nice but it requires a different style of driving. Basically you have to get the car to set and then accelerate mid-curve. That allows the SH-AWD to send power to the rear wheel and rotate the car. If you let off the gas the SH-AWD does nothing and the car will slightly understeer/plow but I'll take that any day over a loose rear on the streets (read Prelude SH..if you lifted while the SH was active the tail was likely to come around which you couldn't control).
My gripe here is the SH-AWD preference to put most of the power to the front wheels. I REALLY wish it was configurable or switch it when I go to "sport" mode. Make it 60/40 F->R normally but when I switch to sport make it 40/60 or 30/70. That would be a big improvement.
Thanks for your thoughts. I like mine a lot more than you seem to like yours, but that's what makes the world go around.

On the handling, try pushing the car a little earlier in the turns. Once you get the hang of it, you will find you can finish your braking before the turn and then begin applying power as you enter it, accelerating to full power at or even before the apex. As one review said, the handling on the AWD car will "make the blood drain from your head." Great fun!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
nice detailed review OP.

I too purchased a 2012 awd sh tl 2 weeks ago. The handling is amazing for such a large sized car. it really feels tossable for its size thanks to the awd sh system. It reminds me of my evolution X which probably is the best handling car I have ever owned.

The suspension def is sporty but not to where it rattles your bones like the evo.

I feel 80-90% of the same confidence as the Evo on sharp turns and long overpass ramps. There is some disconnect in the steering like you described.

I think acura did a great job with the driving feel for the TL awdsh.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
bletour....Thanks for the well written, easy to read, and non fan boy review. I was reading your review and often was saying to myself..."man this guy is reading my mind"

Welcome to Acurazine and keep up posting these well written posts...It what makes Acurazine considerable different than other car forums. For the most part, we are people who get along, respect each other and are very articulate.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
I bought a 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech 6AT 2 weeks ago, and I really, really love the car!

I had previously lost interest in Hondas and Acuras (my history was 92 Civic, 97 Integra GS-R, 86 Accord) for many years. After test driving the 2013 Accord V6 Touring, I decided that the extra $7k for the SH-AWD is well worth the extra money. In fact, the SH-AWD is what justifies the TL... if I were going for FWD, I think I would have settled for the Accord.

My last several cars were a 1999 VW Jetta VR6, 2005 Subaru Outback XT (the turbo) and a 2011 Toyota Prius Five (totaled in a rear-ender). Compared to these, the TL is head and shoulders above all the cars in all ways that matter to me (except for MPG in the Prius; road clearance and cargo capacity in the Subaru).

To me the TL is really a 5-series BMW type car for money that's below a 3-series. Couple that to basic Accord practicality, great interior design, a mildly high-strung sport personality in a package for grown-ups, and you have the TL

I'm glad I was able to grab the last of this generation... I love the design, but hopefully all the bugs have been worked out by now.
The following users liked this post:
TeamAcura (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:05 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Nice objective write up. Thx.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hddnav

To me the TL is really a 5-series BMW type car for money that's below a 3-series.
Well, not quite. I owned a 2009 TL SH-AWD, and now drive a 2012 BMW 535i, and you can really tell where the $20k price difference went. Fit and finish, quality and design of interior, smoothness and low end power of engine, planted rwd driving experience, and exterior appearance. The TL SH-AWD is a fine car and a good value, but it is not in the same class as the current generation BMW 535i.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by kc1953
Well, not quite. I owned a 2009 TL SH-AWD, and now drive a 2012 BMW 535i, and you can really tell where the $20k price difference went. Fit and finish, quality and design of interior, smoothness and low end power of engine, planted rwd driving experience, and exterior appearance. The TL SH-AWD is a fine car and a good value, but it is not in the same class as the current generation BMW 535i.
The 2009 doesn't compare to the 2012. The 2012 is much much better. In everything you said. We owned both for a year before getting rid of the 09 for the MDX. I personally think the TL 2012 plus is better built than the BMW and much quieter.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
BMWs are great driver's cars, and if the 535i is available for the same money as a TL, I can't say that I wouldn't go for one Also, as much as I personally would love to own a Lexus IS or BMW 3-series, having a couple of 8-year olds sways me towards a larger, safer car (yes, I fit the TL demographics).

Hey, I want both myself AND my family to have fun comfortably!

That being said, I make a clear distinction between cars I will own and cars I will only lease. Because of longevity and reliability, I'm willing to actually purchase Acuras and Lexus. On the other hand, while I'd love to drive BMWs and Audis, I don't think I'm willing to actually be responsible for them beyond their warranty periods, due to high-maintenance, high-cost, and low reliability.

Yes, I'm a working man, so money still matters to me.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Instructor

BMWs are great driver's cars, and if the 535i is available for the same money as a TL, I can't say that I wouldn't go for one Also, as much as I personally would love to own a Lexus IS or BMW 3-series, having a couple of 8-year olds sways me towards a larger, safer car (yes, I fit the TL demographics).

That being said, I make a clear distinction between cars I will own and cars I will only lease. Because of longevity and reliability, I'm willing to actually purchase Acuras and Lexus. On the other hand, while I'd love to drive BMWs and Audis, I don't think I'm willing to actually be responsible for them beyond their warranty periods, due to high-maintenance, high-cost, and low reliability.

I have owned several BMWs over the years and agree they are expensive to maintain, but if you do maintain them, they will last and perform well for a very long time. In addition to my 2012 535i, I have a 94 740i that is still going strong. Of course I will acknowledge that my 2008 MDX is the most trouble free and reliable auto I have ever owned.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
The 2009 doesn't compare to the 2012. The 2012 is much much better. In everything you said. We owned both for a year before getting rid of the 09 for the MDX. I personally think the TL 2012 plus is better built than the BMW and much quieter.
Interesting perspective. Other than changing from a 5 speed auto to a 6 speed auto tranny, and the minor cosmetic changes to the exterior, what else did they change. I always thought my 2009 TL SH-AWD was relatively quiet. I have looked at the 2012 and the interior is exactly the same as the 09. Same for the engine. What are the major changes. Do you own a 535i or have you extensively driven one as a basis for your comments? I am just trying to get a better understanding of how you came to the conclusion that the 2012 TL is better built and quieter than a 2012 BMW 535i.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
lmc
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I have owned several BMWs over the years and agree they are expensive to maintain, but if you do maintain them, they will last and perform well for a very long time.
Having owned a variety of cars (from Triumph TR6, Jensen Healey CRX, Accord, Lexus) the BMWs were a mixed "financial" bag. The 530i went 12 years with no major problem (although a twin purchase by my business partner was problems from month 2). Later our 328i had several issues during the three years of "covered" maintenance and then within six months had a $800 headlight problem. Sold it soon afterwards for a fun Mini Cooper S and like other BMW products it has been expensive to keep.

Loved the cars, but the risk of losing the repair lottery (and when a problem hit, it was always expensive) cured me of BMWs.

Our 2013 TL AWD is not a thrilling sports car (of course, it is a sedan!) but for some strange reason, it has a way of always putting a smile on my face when driving around.

The mix of reliability, comfort, flexible passenger loads, driving thrill and (if you behave) respectable gas mileage for the price makes this the best "VALUE" of any car I've owned.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I used to own a 06 530 XIT wagon for about 16 months; in those 16 months it had about $10-$12k in warranty repairs. Thank goodness it was a CPO that had everything covered under warranty. After the last issue of a sunroof that was out of whack that caused about $6k in flood repairs, I got rid of it & went straight to an Acura dealer & bought a MDX. I bought my TL 1.5 years later.

In comparison, the 530 had a quieter cabin, had tighter steering response, slightly better handling, and a smoother ride (to be expected vs. a TL SH-AWD). The TL sound system is head & shoulders above the stock radio in the 530. The TL's exhaust sounded better, & the acceleration in the TL is better. To me the TL was a lot closer to a sports car feel even though the handling was slightly better on the 530. My wife keeps talking about getting another BMW, but she even says that if we do, we are only leasing it due to the issues we had.

IMHO, I really think that the TL is suitable replacement for the 5 series.

In terms of pricing, I bought the CPO 530 for $31.3K with 21.5K miles in 3/09. I bought my CPO TL for $30.4K with 31K miles in 3/12. From a pricing standpoint, the TL was obviously a better deal, because the BMW depreciated more.

All in all, the BMW was nice & fun to drive, but taking into account everything I went through, I don't think I'll ever get another BMW.

One thing I'm not really liking with the German cars is that each brand's individual models are now resembling each other; the 3 series BMW now resembles the 5 series, which resembles the 7 series. There seems to be a lack of individuality.

Cheers!

Nick

Last edited by gkon; 08-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Interesting perspective. Other than changing from a 5 speed auto to a 6 speed auto tranny, and the minor cosmetic changes to the exterior, what else did they change. I always thought my 2009 TL SH-AWD was relatively quiet. I have looked at the 2012 and the interior is exactly the same as the 09. Same for the engine. What are the major changes. Do you own a 535i or have you extensively driven one as a basis for your comments? I am just trying to get a better understanding of how you came to the conclusion that the 2012 TL is better built and quieter than a 2012 BMW 535i.
Safety was increased, a lot more sound deadening in the cabin from engine/road noise. A lot was upgraded. Not just cosmetic. Interior is not the same. They upgraded the door handles, knobs, steering wheel (thicker).
Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I currently own both a 2011 535i xDrive M-sport and a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance with the 19" goodyears. Both really have their strengths but they just are not in the same league nor an apples to apples comparison. I think a base 535i is more than the advance TL and by the time you load the BMW up with heads up, navi, driver assist packages, etc, etc it can top 70k.

I'm certain too that the BMW will run circles around the TL in almost all performance and subjective categories and do so while also returning better mpg. Lastly, the BMW exudes a Teutonic gravitas the TL just does not match but the TL still holds its own and many days I grab the TL keys rather than the BMW. Why? It's just fun to drive. It -feels- sprightly and light on it's feet, something the downsized 7 series F10 doesn't. The 5 feels heavy, it is heavy and really doesn't shrink around you till you press it hard at speed.

The TL also has a cabin that is warm yet techie compared to the austere BMW, the ELS audio is far superior and visibility excluding the rear quarters is vastly better. The TL is like a barrel racer compared to the 5 series Clydesdale. For 2011 the 5 series F10 is now on the 7 series chassis, not an upsized 3 series like the prior gen. Now that I've owned the F10 5 for some time, I regret BMW took this approach with the 5 and consensus is, the last gen was more fun to drive. Still, TL vs 535i isn't a fair fight but I love them both. That said, I know the TL will get handed down to my kids but that 5 will be gone in just a few years. I learned long ago to never own a BMW outside of a warranty unless you are really prepared to spend on repairs.

In summary the TL is rewarding to drive in almost all driving situations but the BMW is truly rewarding when pressed and delivers a luxury driving experience the TL cannot match but it shouldn't. Comparably equipped, the BMW is a full Honda Civic difference in price! Is the BMW the Ultimate? No way but there is a significant gap up from the TL and that gap costs you.

If I had to pick just one that I planned as a commuter to keep 10 years? Hands down, the TL. If I had to pick a daily driver for the autobahn, no question the 5. I solved this by getting both
PS: I also have a 2007 Type-S that I will never part with and has it been 100% trouble free. I had a 2007 335i that was quite the problem child and a 2009 335i that was somewhat better but still saw too much of the shop for a 50k car.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
^^ We've been through this before, but I wonder why you think the 535 will "run circles around" the TL? By most published performance measures, just the opposite seems true, except perhaps with regard to top speed. I have a hard time believing that a 535 could hang with an AWD TL on a good road course. The last gen 335 could not.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from a 2008 TL-Type S 6sp MT to a 2012 TL SH-AWD 6sp MT, I love the stiffer ride of the type S. But the bluetooth and tech is better on the 2012.

I find the 2012 ride nice a soft, but I want the sporty feel. I am going to do the H&R springs soon. Does anyone know of any good places in Toronto?
I am also thinking about putting on a magnaflow with a quad pipes. I saw some really nice picks on other threads.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ We've been through this before, but I wonder why you think the 535 will "run circles around" the TL? By most published performance measures, just the opposite seems true, except perhaps with regard to top speed. I have a hard time believing that a 535 could hang with an AWD TL on a good road course. The last gen 335 could not.
I would agree with your statement, unless the 5 series was an xdrive (AWD). But the 5er is straight line quicker for whatever that is worth.

Bottom line it comes down to preference. I have owned a shawd TL and I prefer the 5 series. But the TL is a nice car and a good value. The 5er has the edge in many ways but you pay for it.