Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Motor Trend Verdict: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD

Verdict: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD
A Year With the TL Leaves Us in Love -- Just not With the Face
From the September, 2010 issue of Motor Trend
/ By Ron Kiino
/ Photography by Jessica Germiller

From the day the TL SH-AWD arrived at our offices, our staff was critical of its controversial styling, quickly filling the Acura's logbook with unflattering comments. "Pontiac Aztek aficionados, rejoice: Your luxury car is here!" wrote one editor. Another noted, "She's not a looker, unless you dig a Cyrano schnoz and a can-opener smile." The least disparaging remark? "It's different, to say the least."

Although backhanded compliments were about all the praise we could heap on the TL's sheetmetal, naturally our deep, genuine crew managed to look beyond the Acura's unbecoming façade. "The TL suffers from the same syndrome as did the Subaru Tribeca," said Truck Trend Web producer Melissa Spiering. "Its symptoms are obvious to most, with a hideous front grille and a ridiculous looking rear end, but what's hidden inside is amazing." Indeed, most editors fell in love with the TL's posh, feature-laden interior that boasts sumptuous Milano leather sport seats, high-end ELS audio, a thick-rimmed leather-wrapped sport steering wheel with contrast stitching (an SH-AWD exclusive), Bluetooth phone and audio capability, real-time traffic and weather updates, satellite radio, Zagat restaurant guide, and a nav system that can be operated while on the move. Of course, the contemporary cabin garnered a few nits as well. The center stack, with its large rotary knob and plethora of buttons, was often a challenge to decipher: "Looks as if it could control intergalactic travel," said assistant Web producer Carlos Lago. Some of the trim bits, e.g., the "3D metallic" accents, were deemed cheap-looking, and the Bluetooth phone system occasionally had trouble syncing to various cell-phones.

Shortly after the $43,995 TL landed in L.A., we took it to the test track, where it zipped from 0 to 60 in 6.5 seconds and through the quarter mile in 14.8 at 96.9 mph. In our handling and braking tests, the Acura, with its torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 summer tires, put down 0.91 g on the skidpad, 26.0 seconds at 0.73 g through the figure eight, and 103 feet in 60-to-0 braking. Super handling? Infiniti's new rear-drive, 330-horse M37 can beat, well, none of those figures.

Unsurprisingly, our group of enthusiast drivers found much to like with the TL's dynamics. "Without a doubt, Acura's set BMW squarely in its sights with the new TL SH-AWD. With a peppy V-6, manumatic gearbox, and AWD handling, this TL could certainly have BMW shoppers thinking twice about the 3 Series," said associate online editor Rory Jurnecka. Assistant Web producer Nate Martinez noted, "Thanks to the 19-inch rolling stock, the ride was on the sporty end of the spectrum: not too firm, but never too soft." Overall, the TL was lauded for its surprisingly supple, quiet ride, track-worthy handling limits, and refined 3.7-liter V-6 whose racy rhythm above 5000 rpm delighted our ears and tingled our spines.

The only complaints were of the automatic transmission that was sometimes slow to shift and judged at least one cog shy of modern acceptability, and the electric power steering, which a few staffers found a bit numb. Also, some editors thought the V-6 felt a few ponies under 305, but that's likely more attributable to the sluggish five-speed and rather hefty 3955 curb weight. On the bright side, Acura's new six-speed automatic that debuted in the 2010 ZDX and MDX crossovers will likely find its way into the 2012 TL. In the meantime, the 2011 SH-AWD can be had with a six-speed manual, should you enjoy shifting for yourself.

During its year-long stay with us, the TL made three service stops. The first ($92.26) and third ($113.04), at around 6000 and 19,000 miles, respectively, consisted of an oil change, full inspection, and tire rotation. The middle maintenance ($229.62), at roughly 14,000 miles, included the above check items and added a change of the rear differential fluid. All told, our service tab came to a respectable $434.92, with $0 coming out of our wallets for normal-wear cost. The gas bill, as well, wasn't too depleting, thanks to average fuel economy of nearly 20 mpg.

Since our Polished Metal TL SH-AWD left our garage, we've missed its alluring blend of luxurious interior, useful convenience features, and engaging "super handling" dynamics. What we haven't missed, though, is its jagged-tooth grille and eclectic mix of pronounced creases and sharp angles. The 2009 TL, most likely, will be a car we'll never forget -- in ways both good and bad.
From the Logbook

"There's plenty of room inside for four people, but three in the back looks like a very uncomfortable proposition for the poor soul in the middle."
- Kirill Ougarov

"Dynamically, as a package, the TL seems well thought out and integrated -- no major weak points, just a strong overall platform for a spirited sedan."
- Rory Jurnecka

"I can say that the TL's a good long hauler. I easily did one way (around 370 miles) on three-quarters of a tank and managed to hit 28 mpg on the highway."

- Nate Martinez

"I was surprised at how the drivetrain coped with only five gears. But then I began to wonder how much the longer ratios hamper the engine. Our TL doesn't feel like it has 305 horsepower. Not to say acceleration is a problem, but the engine needs to be high in the powerband to provide real oomph."
- Carlos Lago

Last edited by TSX69; 07-23-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"The only complaints were of the automatic transmission that was sometimes slow to shift and judged at least one cog shy of modern acceptability, and the electric power steering, which a few staffers found a bit numb. Also, some editors thought the V-6 felt a few ponies under 305, but that's likely more attributable to the sluggish five-speed and rather hefty 3955 curb weight. "

^ that was/is my biggest problem with the TL. My Base doesn't feel like it has 280hp, SHAWD didn't feel like it had 305hp. for comparison, my gf's A5 feels like it has well over 300hp.. but only has 265. The torque comes a lot earlier and the transmission is more responsive.

As for steering, it worries me less, but it's still pretty numb on both cars. Numb(er) on the Base.

Fix it acura!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Idk if its me but when I got new tires with RJ's the steering felt heavier and car feels more planted vs the stock Michi's which chirped driven the same way(too much gas from full stop or cornering). It's harder to get my Yoko's to slip and if it does it'll slip for one second. Like I said, it could just be me xP
Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Thanks for the article! I think that it's very nice reading these long-term review articles, because the reviewers inevitably get to like the TL SH-AWD a lot! I personally think that the exterior styling issue is a bit overblown - while I know that it's a very subjective thing, I have no idea why people hate it so much. The more I look at mine the more I like it! I guess the bottom line is that, if the exterior styling were less controversial, then the sales figures would have been much better and more people would get to appreciate the car..... in the meantime, it remains to be one of the "best kept secrets"... :-)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
0-60 in 6.5? Really?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAN1
0-60 in 6.5? Really?
That's probably pretty accurate, if not on the slower side.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAN1
0-60 in 6.5? Really?
that is almost 2 tons of car you gotta move there.... oh, wait for all practical purrposes it is.....
Old 07-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
Thanks for the article! I think that it's very nice reading these long-term review articles, because the reviewers inevitably get to like the TL SH-AWD a lot! I personally think that the exterior styling issue is a bit overblown - while I know that it's a very subjective thing, I have no idea why people hate it so much.
I am an Acura enthusiast. I want to like the car. However, to say the styling is controversial is putting it mildly. Acura screwed up. That is why they are tweaking the grille for the 2012 model
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Motor Trend. I take a peek at the library, since they are "ad" driven I take there articles with a grain of salt. The styling is controversial true, however they always seems to publish one sided views about it when some earlier writers weren't so negative. My opinion.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Not to go the way of the Honda Pilot!

Originally Posted by JAB00
I am an Acura enthusiast. I want to like the car. However, to say the styling is controversial is putting it mildly. Acura screwed up. That is why they are tweaking the grille for the 2012 model
In 2007 they changed the front grill on my 2005 Honda Pilot. My first impression was they made a mistake as they changed it to be out of proportion with the rest of the car. A lot of time went into the design of the TL. I have looked at the after market grills and I think they are two PLAIN and don’t enhance the looks but detract from the overall appealing and futuristic design of this car. For me it makes the car look more aged in the design category. If you like Modern Art, you like this car.

If they change the Grill and DO NOT change the front lights and front overall body style, they could make the car look worse not better. Acura TL design is futuristic and ahead of the pack. Eventually a car manufacture needs to move to the next level where we see Concept Cars going. Remember when AUDI came out with its new bold front grill and now it Snake Eye LED headlights.. Acura and Audi made bold moves and I for one are glad they did. I think BMW and Nissan has some neat design ideas so they will be fine.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I kinda agree with you....

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
In 2007 they changed the front grill on my 2005 Honda Pilot. My first impression was they made a mistake as they changed it to be out of proportion with the rest of the car. A lot of time went into the design of the TL. I have looked at the after market grills and I think they are two PLAIN and don’t enhance the looks but detract from the overall appealing and futuristic design of this car. For me it makes the car look more aged in the design category. If you like Modern Art, you like this car.

If they change the Grill and DO NOT change the front lights and front overall body style, they could make the car look worse not better. Acura TL design is futuristic and ahead of the pack. Eventually a car manufacture needs to move to the next level where we see Concept Cars going. Remember when AUDI came out with its new bold front grill and now it Snake Eye LED headlights.. Acura and Audi made bold moves and I for one are glad they did. I think BMW and Nissan has some neat design ideas so they will be fine.
I could not believe that I would be saying this - a couple of years ago I was one of the haters of the 4G TL grille but now I really kinda like it! I think that I finally am getting what the Acura designers are trying to do. In fact, if you look at the details of the car, there are lots of nice detailed touches everywhere, from the sharp creases to the way the chrome trim is sculptured around the rear passenger windows.

Now, is that overstyling? I find that to be a hard one to decide. Motor journalists really have a field day complaining that the 4G TL is overstyled blah blah blah.... I found it interesting that at the same time, these same people would praise the designs of the new MB E Class, Hyundai Sonata, and even the Infiniti M, which are all very much "overstyled" but somehow they get the seal of approval of the motor journalists.

I guess double standards are everywhere. All I can say is that the more I look at my 4G TL, the more I like it. In fact, the more I drive it, the more I love it.... which is exactly what the Motor Trend long term test suggests :-)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Racer

The TL is to big for my bed!

I guess double standards are everywhere. All I can say is that the more I look at my 4G TL, the more I like it. In fact, the more I drive it, the more I love it.... which is exactly what the Motor Trend long term test suggests :-)
I agree! If I could take my TL to bed with me I would, but it won't fit through the front door even with 305 HP and 4x4 drive engaged, so I guess it will just have to stay in the garage!
Don't tell my wife!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

The TL reminds me of a musical artist that has a unusual look along with a sound that's not main stream...you get it but many at first don't. Some come around and others shy to acknowledging they like it due to not pleasing the crowd. Then one day you notice the song and video are popping up...every where.

Man one of the managers at my bank just bought one, WDP w/parchment leather, spoiler, and ground effects kit, midnight chrome grille, and the 19" diamond cut alloys...she looks great in it too.
Over the weekend I got caught in traffic with 3 other TL's 2 AWD and 1 base, I thought we were at a convention.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

I could not believe that I would be saying this - a couple of years ago I was one of the haters of the 4G TL grille but now I really kinda like it! I think that I finally am getting what the Acura designers are trying to do. In fact, if you look at the details of the car, there are lots of nice detailed touches everywhere, from the sharp creases to the way the chrome trim is sculptured around the rear passenger windows.

Now, is that overstyling? I find that to be a hard one to decide. Motor journalists really have a field day complaining that the 4G TL is overstyled blah blah blah.... I found it interesting that at the same time, these same people would praise the designs of the new MB E Class, Hyundai Sonata, and even the Infiniti M, which are all very much "overstyled" but somehow they get the seal of approval of the motor journalists.

Nice detail touches everywhere? Yes. but it's not a cohesive design, and many of the parts are too "in your face" and polarizing, that's why not many like it. If the lines all actually flowed somewhere, or if the sharp curves and edges werent' so exaggerated, it may have looked better. The way i see it, it's a bunch of nice design elements thrown together randomly. I'm starting to like it as well but..

The fact that they're changing the way the TL looks means that even Acura admits it doesn't look nice. Otherwise they would have only did small changes like light housing changes and front bumper tweaks like most MMCs. Sucks for us 4g owners. These aren't small subtle changes, these are quite significant. According to the spy pics, the 4.5G owners will have the "refined" version with reduced rear bumper emptiness (no more straight edge "slate" rear bumper) now it will pop out like a normal bumper, possibly no giant red rear reflectors, smaller rear satin chrome piece, new grill (u you know, their main design element/brand identifier that many of us proudly display by not changing it to aftermarket?), etc etc.

So it sucks we're "getting used to" a design failure that acura is about to fix. I just hope some 4.5gtl parts fit on our cars when they come out.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
now it will pop out like a normal bumper, possibly no giant red rear reflectors, smaller rear satin chrome piece, new grill (u you know, their main design element/brand identifier that many of us proudly display by not changing it to aftermarket?), etc etc.

So it sucks we're "getting used to" a design failure that acura is about to fix. I just hope some 4.5gtl parts fit on our cars when they come out.
I am not sure what you are talking about or where you get your information from? The so called SPY pictures from what you can see, look to be the same as the car is now? I enlarged the pictures, cleaned them up a bit with photo shop and if their are changes they are very minute.. Do you have a link to newer pictures then the ones we have seen over the last several weeks?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Please check TOV (vtec.net) for the members analysis. Obviously, they are not 100% accurate, but from the comparisons, I think the only thing that isn't definite would be the red reflectors.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-messa...item_id=910034

I think thats it but pictures aren't showing up for me.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

I read this in the grocery store the other day... manual transmission fixes issues they raise re "feeling" underpowered. Keep it above 4500 rpm and it feels (and SOUNDS... what a sound!) plenty powerful. It's a VTEC engine... high revs go with the territory.

Steering isn't numb, it's linear and the car goes where you point it, especially at speed. It may be slightly overboosted at low speeds, but hey, that just makes it easier to maneuver around the parking lot.

Obviously, styling is totally subjective, but I happen to love it. Really stands out from the BMW/Audi crowd so prevalent where I live. BMW in particular ought to be ashamed at how blandly the 335 is styled... it looks like Grandma's grocery-getter even though it's actually a hell-of-a-fun car (although not, comparably equipped, 12,000 dollars more fun than the TL!).

Screw Motor Trend for crapping on a manufacturer who dares to be a little original (especially because, until I bought my TL, Acura is the last place I would have looked for originality).

Now I just need to get my Eibachs and drop this baby... anyone done that yet? Does it void any warranties?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TandooriChicken
I read this in the grocery store the other day... manual transmission fixes issues they raise re "feeling" underpowered. Keep it above 4500 rpm and it feels (and SOUNDS... what a sound!) plenty powerful. It's a VTEC engine... high revs go with the territory.

Steering isn't numb, it's linear and the car goes where you point it, especially at speed. It may be slightly overboosted at low speeds, but hey, that just makes it easier to maneuver around the parking lot.

Obviously, styling is totally subjective, but I happen to love it. Really stands out from the BMW/Audi crowd so prevalent where I live. BMW in particular ought to be ashamed at how blandly the 335 is styled... it looks like Grandma's grocery-getter even though it's actually a hell-of-a-fun car (although not, comparably equipped, 12,000 dollars more fun than the TL!).

Screw Motor Trend for crapping on a manufacturer who dares to be a little original (especially because, until I bought my TL, Acura is the last place I would have looked for originality).

Now I just need to get my Eibachs and drop this baby... anyone done that yet? Does it void any warranties?
I can't for the life of me understand how they can say the steering is numb. Perhaps they should go revisit a test drive with a Toyota Camry/Lexus ES350. Now that is numb steering. I've always found Acura has been very refined in their steering feel. They let just the right amount in so that the feedback is just in the right amount without it becoming uncomfortable/too harsh but at the same time, not numb/boring.

Just remember, this is coming from the company that just recently ranked the Toyota Camry the best mid-size sedan in a comparison test, even above the new Hyundai Sonata and after all the recent Toyota BS that went on. I've lost a lot of faith in MT over the years.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
One key point is that the 6MT has refined and better tuned electronic steering than the SHAWD AT.

They should take the tweaks and weight savings on the 6MT model and bring that to the 2011, that plus the re-design and they'll have a winner.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
10th Gear

I love my car, everything about it
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced

My wife was at the Deli last night and 2 people said to her Nice Car! It is different than many things out on the road right now. Thats what I like about it!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by techdavid
I love my car, everything about it
Same here techdavid....the design flow of the car works for me. When I walked to the parking lot yesterday I was like, "Damn that's a hot ride." Then I remembered she's mine.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
When i first saw the debut of the 4G TL at the Toronto Auto Show 2 yrs ago, i thought to myself, what the heck is Acura thinking. I was so disapointed, and i hated every bit of the car. Over the past year, i've began to really notice the car, and the styling really started to look nice. Different, and the more you see it, the more i love it. Until one day in April i went for a test drive and signed the deal. I love this car, and everthing about it. I think the majority of people are conservative, and this car apeals to those that want to be different, and racey. I LOVE IT!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
... I love this car, and everthing about it. I think the majority of people are conservative, and this car apeals to those that want to be different, and racey. I LOVE IT!
Exactly!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 Me too
Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Acura2010
When i first saw the debut of the 4G TL at the Toronto Auto Show 2 yrs ago, i thought to myself, what the heck is Acura thinking. I was so disapointed, and i hated every bit of the car. Over the past year, i've began to really notice the car, and the styling really started to look nice. Different, and the more you see it, the more i love it. Until one day in April i went for a test drive and signed the deal. I love this car, and everthing about it. I think the majority of people are conservative, and this car apeals to those that want to be different, and racey. I LOVE IT!

I do believe you put it a way that says best...many people are conservative. When I saw it I was like wow, different...I like it I like it, then I thought Acura is about to get slammed by the likes of Motor Trend and Car & Driver. The design change was to out there and futuristic, the change was abrupt. Many 3G owners echoed the thought what's wrong with the old design? I Found that design..too conservative, a sort of safe departure from the previous iteration.

Last edited by compewterbleu; 07-29-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the long term review.

I'm at a year and a half on my 09TL and love it!
The ride is silky smooth but powerful when needed.
Handling is awesome.
Tech package really delivers.
The looks are modern and stylish.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

It appeals to people that want to be racey? I'd find that surprising since many enthusiasts are the ones who view it as bulky or ugly.

I still don't think it's ugly but....racey? No. Those are the G37 and 3-Series fans.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Maybe he meant racey like flashy, daring and/or evoking emotion.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Took mine to a family reunion at the cabins. My nephews and great nephews went crazy over the look and ride. My sisters, nieces and great nieces kept calling it beautiful. One of my sisters is a big critic of cars when it comes to the tail lights and front ends...she like a bunch.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Racer

I hear the same thing!!

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
One of my sisters is a big critic of cars when it comes to the tail lights and front ends...she like a bunch.
You have a very intelligent sister and family!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

My lil cousins all do the same thing. If they're looking for a ride when the family goes somewhere, they all try to jump in my car first lol.

Sometimes it makes me rethink my next car purchase (coupe), but thats assuming acura's next TSX, TL, or sub-TSX and the next lexus IS and GS both aren't amazing haha
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
then I thought Acura is about to get slammed by the likes of Motor Trend and Car & Driver. The design change was to out there and futuristic, the change was abrupt.
Absolutely! The car is ahead of it's time, like the Edsel! The Delorean! The AmphiCar! Oh, wait... none of those sold well either...

The 4G TL looks like something from a 1980s SF TV show - e.g. Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica (The original). It's isn't so much "futuristic" as a retro-view of the future.

Still, it's prettier than many other cars right now.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by TechnoCat
Absolutely! The car is ahead of it's time, like the Edsel! The Delorean! The AmphiCar! Oh, wait... none of those sold well either...

The 4G TL looks like something from a 1980s SF TV show - e.g. Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica (The original). It's isn't so much "futuristic" as a retro-view of the future.

Still, it's prettier than many other cars right now.
LMAO! I wasn't thinking quiet that far out...Battlestar Galactica (original), my brother did say if I place a Knight Rider light in the from it would look like a Cylon....LOL.
It surely looks different, but look at the new grilles on the Toytoa Verza, Ford's line up, and a few others, the grille is the piece de'resistance.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Maybe he meant racey like flashy, daring and/or evoking emotion.
That's exactly what i meant. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

Like evoking a ?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
This is what Motor trend said about the 2004 BMW 5 series when it came out. I think there is hope for the 4g design to catch on like the 5 series did.

I love the design of my TL and atleast its different and doesnt look like the millions of other cars out there.

Wrapping the new 5 Series is a body nearly as controversial as the iDrive. Scores of BMW aficionados have scoffed at the flamboyant, flame-surfaced shapes (new 7 Series, Z4 roadster) penned by BMW Chief Designer Chris Bangle and his minions, and the 530i is likely to generate similar love-it/hate-it responses. To his credit, Bangle takes the barbs in stride, confident that BMW is rightly pursuing a ground-breaking styling philosophy. "Humans need time to get used to newness," he smiles.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz0vIsqJXUp
Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Racer

You just hit the nail on teh HEAD!!!

Originally Posted by HAWAII-TSX
This is what Motor trend said about the 2004 BMW 5 series when it came out. I think there is hope for the G design to catch on like the 5 series did. Wrapping the new 5 Series is a body nearly as controversial as the drive. Scores of BMW aficionados have scoffed at the flamboyant, flame-surfaced shapes (new 7 Series, Z roadster) penned by BMW Chief Designer Chris Bangle and his minions, and the 530i is likely to generate similar love-it/hate-it responses. To his credit, Bangle takes the barbs in stride, confident that BMW is rightly pursuing a ground-breaking styling philosophy. "Humans need time to get used to newness," he smiles.
When you look at the 2004 BMW in those pictures, you are hard pressed to think that car is 6 years old! That is a nice looking beamer!! Just ahead of its time as is the TL! I think this just proves our point! Had some very nice comments about my TL today here in San Diego!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
It should truly be a classic now that they're getting rid of the current grill in next year's model from the looks of the spyshots. Just when I started getting used to the ol' snapping turtle, they go and change it on me. lol. Curse you Acura! Oh well, another couple of years and we'll all be looking at a completely re-designed TL probably anyway.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Verdict: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD