Maintenance/Insurance Costs on 4th Gen TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Maintenance/Insurance Costs on 4th Gen TL

What are folks seeing for maintenance costs with the new TL?

Done a little research and finding that the rear diff fluids need changing every 10-15k miles (or is that only the first change?)

Coming from a whole lot of Subaru's I find that a bit disconcerting, what other "hidden" maintenance costs are people finding with the newest gen.

I'm cross shopping it with the G37x, but prefer the size and manual transmission offered with the TL, but these little costs, while I can afford them are kind of concerning to me.

Also I live in MA with a clean record in a low crime (rated) town as far as insurance goes what should I expect to see with the TL, I'm guessing somewhere in the 900-1100 range?

Thanks,

- Jer

... oh and Hi!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I paid $380 every 6 months to insure my TL when I lived in Virginia. Now that I'm in Colorado, I'm paying $390 every 6 months. For the record, it costs my wife to pay $340 every 6 months for her 2010 Accord!

As for maintenance costs, you'll be just fine, take a look at my thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/my-tl-just-hit-40-000-miles-14-months-thought-id-share-my-observations-808340/

But my advice for you is that if you're concerned about pinching pennies already with this car, you might want to move down a price range or two because there are people out there that buy a car that's too much for them and, for instance, decide they can offset it by running regular gas, etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Rowing my own

It's not the penny pinching, I'm concerned Acura is covering a problem with a psuedo solution and passing that cost to the consumer.

And that because they don't cover any service like volvo, bmw, or audi they are doing this to lower the cost of the sticker price on the car.

As I don't have a whole lot of dealings with Acura yet, I'm more concerned with the business model then anything else, at a certain point it becomes cheaper to buy the BMW or Audi.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I paid $380 every 6 months to insure my TL when I lived in Virginia. Now that I'm in Colorado, I'm paying $390 every 6 months. For the record, it costs my wife to pay $340 every 6 months for her 2010 Accord!

As for maintenance costs, you'll be just fine, take a look at my thread here: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808340

But my advice for you is that if you're concerned about pinching pennies already with this car, you might want to move down a price range or two because there are people out there that buy a car that's too much for them and, for instance, decide they can offset it by running regular gas, etc.

$578 or there about for 6 months in Augusta, GA for insurance and so far I I've spent, come to think of it I never really paid it any attention because it may have been less that $200 over nearly a year.

Using premium gas is recommended and so that's what I do. I work in the engineering field and if something is recommended by design I go with it.

And I agree if economically the car is a strain you may want to move down in price range. Nothing wrong with that, the time will come when you can move up a level or two. But don't ever put yourself in a bind financially for a car if you can avoid it.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by gibjer
It's not the penny pinching, I'm concerned Acura is covering a problem with a psuedo solution and passing that cost to the consumer.

And that because they don't cover any service like volvo, bmw, or audi they are doing this to lower the cost of the sticker price on the car.

As I don't have a whole lot of dealings with Acura yet, I'm more concerned with the business model then anything else, at a certain point it becomes cheaper to buy the BMW or Audi.
Oh, if that's the case, my experience with Acura over the past 10+ years have been good. I went through being laid off for a year a few months after purchasing my 2001 3.2 CL and the maintenance cost were more than reasonable. The car never stayed in the shop longer that a day even when they changed out the tranny, which was covered under the warranty and then they extended that warranty.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Rowing my own

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
$578 or there about for 6 months in Augusta, GA for insurance and so far I I've spent, come to think of it I never really paid it any attention because it may have been less that $200 over nearly a year.

Using premium gas is recommended and so that's what I do. I work in the engineering field and if something is recommended by design I go with it.

And I agree if economically the car is a strain you may want to move down in price range. Nothing wrong with that, the time will come when you can move up a level or two. But don't ever put yourself in a bind financially for a car if you can avoid it.
No disagreements there, I always run 93 up here when I can get it, the price difference is very inconsequential compared to the repair costs long term.

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Oh, if that's the case, my experience with Acura over the past 10+ years have been good. I went through being laid off for a year a few months after purchasing my 2001 3.2 CL and the maintenance cost were more than reasonable. The car never stayed in the shop longer that a day even when they changed out the tranny, which was covered under the warranty and then they extended that warranty.
We have multiple sales folks working here that have MDX's, both current gen and previous, but I've yet to hear of any issues, one guy loves his, one guy hates his, go figure, not going to get much help there lol.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
holy crap.. i pay about 1000 every 6 months... gah.. im only 23.. lol

i believe once i hit 25 it will lower tho..

maintenance is virtually like other cars.

use fully synthetic tho..
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

Done a little research and finding that the rear diff fluids need changing every 10-15k miles (or is that only the first change?)

Coming from a whole lot of Subaru's I find that a bit disconcerting, what other "hidden" maintenance costs are people finding with the newest gen.

I'm cross shopping it with the G37x, but prefer the size and manual transmission offered with the TL, but these little costs, while I can afford them are kind of concerning to me.

... oh and Hi!
Having owned 6 different TLs maintenace costs are low. Yes the AWD needs a rear diff at around 15K miles, ran me $95. Oil changes are all I ever did running around $20 for labor and filter and I would supply Mobil 1. Having owned my M37S for almost 9 months now I can't wait to get back into an Acura, far better built than Infiniti.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Also I live in MA with a clean record in a low crime (rated) town as far as insurance goes what should I expect to see with the TL, I'm guessing somewhere in the 900-1100 range?

Thanks,

- Jer

... oh and Hi!
I have been in Honda products since 1983 and am in my 3rd Acura since 2006. I can tell you one thing aside form the regualrly schedule maintenance Hondas and Acuras are rock solid and I never had one issue. My 2006 TL which I have to my son has 100,000 trouble free miles and never required one repair.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4th generation TL is my first Acura, but I have several family members who have been involved with Honda for awhile now because they are well built cars with relatively low maintenance requirements/costs. Thats a big reason I purchased mine. One member of my extended family who has a bit of a car buying hobby basically swears by Honda products because they are very reliable.

As far as Insurance, it's hard to say. I work in the insurance industry and deal with auto insurance a lot and it really just varies person to person as far as your rate. Lots of factors involved, as I'm sure you know, such as: state, age, driving record, vehicle use, mileage, household members, insurance provider, and the limits you carry on your policy. The easiest way to find out is just call your insurance company of choice and ask them to review your policy with you and get a quote for the TL on that policy.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed as above