Luxury cars with less tint tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxury cars with less tint tickets?

I was wondering what you guys think about this. Do you think police give less tint tickets to luxury cars then they do to just regular and junk cars?

I'm talking about 10%-20% tint.

For those of you who have a 4th Gen with Dark Tint or other Luxury vehicles with dark tint, what were your experiences?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
I think going that dark gets you a ticket no matter what. I had a G35 sedan a couple of cars ago with a 35% tint. I got pulled over at night and had the driver window down when the cop came to the door. He asked me if I was tinted and had me roll it up. When he saw how light it was, he appologized and let me go. There was another silver sedan blacked out near me and he picked the wrong one.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:12 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
It honestly depends on the situation. If the cop has a feeling that you could be doing something wrong, such as drinking and driving, he can pull you over for your tint to check for other things. And if he finds nothing else, then you get a ticket for tint.

This happened in my girlfriends accord. I was the DD so I went to pick her and her girlfriends up, when we left the bar the chp pulled me over because of the tint. He then checked to see if I had been drinking, which I wasnt, then wrote a ticket for the tint.

So with that being said, its situational, and also depends on the mood of the cop.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Some cops are just douchebags no offense to any officers on this board. That's the nicest way I can say it. Ever gotten 4 tickets for each tinted window? Talk about filling up quota -.-
Here in NY, they just passed a law to eliminate PD database for stop & frisk so we'll see if that will change anything
Old 07-25-2010, 12:08 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by eazy
Some cops are just douchebags no offense to any officers on this board. That's the nicest way I can say it. Ever gotten 4 tickets for each tinted window? Talk about filling up quota -.-
Here in NY, they just passed a law to eliminate PD database for stop & frisk so we'll see if that will change anything
Can they even do that? seems a little redundant. Are you not allowed to have tint on the rear windows?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That depends on state law. For California, rear tint (in any %) is ok, but front tint (on any %) is not allowed.

I've read people say there is 70% allowed... they're wrong. That is usually reserved for the factory UV reducing glass or the transparent UV reducing tint. I've tried arguing with them, if you have any noticeable tint in the front, you may get a ticket, and you will lose.

Regardless, it's just a $10-25 fix it fee + the actual removal of the tint.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Advanced

The reason I ask is because I've seen several BMW 7 series with 15% tint and they've had it for 2 years. G35's with what I think are 10%...

I'm not sure if they just leave them alone, because have nice cars...
Old 07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
i had 20% in the front of my 4g and i got a fix it ticket.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:45 PM
COTM Coordinator

I have 20% all around and have never gotten pulled over for it. If I did, I pay the fee and get it signed off by a friend of mine.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:53 PM
WDP 4G

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
It honestly depends on the situation. If the cop has a feeling that you could be doing something wrong, such as drinking and driving, he can pull you over for your tint to check for other things. And if he finds nothing else, then you get a ticket for tint.

This happened in my girlfriends accord. I was the DD so I went to pick her and her girlfriends up, when we left the bar the chp pulled me over because of the tint. He then checked to see if I had been drinking, which I wasnt, then wrote a ticket for the tint.

So with that being said, its situational, and also depends on the mood of the cop.
Apparently tint's in NY of any sort except the back windshield is illegal. So hence 4 instead of 5 haha. Different states have different laws.
Here's an article from the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/ny...2/27colli.html
Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My friend's brother just got pulled over for 20% tint in his stock 06 civic sedan. When he had the tint removed the installer at the tint shop was saying how the police officers in this area DO NOT mess with the Luxury cars because they figure these owners will just put the darker tint back on.

I told my friend I paid for my 35% to be taken off and had 20% put on and if I were to get pulled over I would put 5% on my car. I have a dvd player and the darker tint is a must when passengers are watching movies.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by djtanveer
i had 20% in the front of my 4g and i got a fix it ticket.
By front do you mean your front window of or your driver and passenger side front windows?

If the prior, I think that's just pushing it.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here in Chicago, the law states that you can have either 5% back and 50% front OR 35% all around. I have 5% all around. Ive gotten stopped 3 times. Two were just village tickets so I just paid the fine and went on my way and another time was on my birthday, I got a warning.

Now if you get stopped in the city, then that is a $250 ticket. Ive also gotten one of those one night when I was spending some time with friends in the city and my car was parked. When we got back to my car, I found the ticket on my window. I just contested it by mail saying that my car was parked in a dark area at night which made the tint seem darker and that I have the legal amount of 35%. They believed it and dropped the ticket, never had to pay the $250. But I haven't been stopped for a while now.

But to answer your question, I think it depends on the mood of the cop. Some douche-bag cops will think that if you have a nice car, then you can easily afford a ticket. Again, i think it depends on the mood.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsw1ft
I was wondering what you guys think about this. Do you think police give less tint tickets to luxury cars then they do to just regular and junk cars?
In my experience, police give less tickets to luxury cars. Two weeks before getting my TL, I got yet another warning, rather than a ticket. The TL, unfortunately, doesn't quite count. I've received as many tickets in the last eight months as in my entire previous LIFE (which included the Audi S4 and lots of left-seat time in Ferrari, Maseratti and my original babe, a Candy Apple Red 67 Mustang), with half being completely wrong or ticky-tack.

My only guess as to why is that German sedans scream, "My lawyer can beat your lawyer", while Acura perhaps whispers, "Hey, I might be a rice-burning poser." (Although I still think it looks like something Buck Rogers would drive.) Good thing my lawyer CAN beat up theirs!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 PM
COTM Coordinator

Havent been pulled over once in my TL which has several things that a cop would pull me over for (tinted tails, tinted windows). In my accord, I got pulled over almost every week because it was a Honda and they wanted to see if it was stolen. Really it was because I have a shaved head, and Im mexican..... or at least thats what I think.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM
7th Gear

Apparently tint's in NY of any sort except the back windshield is illegal. So hence 4 instead of 5 haha. Different states have different laws.
Here's an article from the NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/ny...2/27colli.html
I believe in NY the back windshield are illegal too, its just the tint meter cannot be used in the back. You can tint the upper windshield but no more then 6 inches from the top. As for ticketing all 4 windows, probably just a way for the city to make more money. If you plead not guilty and remove the tint, the judge would only reduce the fine but you still have to pay surcharge.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
i think driving gets one pulled over IE drive like an ass and they use the tint to get you.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Yes i think so.

Last car was an 08 scion Xb 5% all around and 40% on the entire windshield..
I got 2 tickets.

Then my BMW 135i same tint all around even windshield.. only 1 ticket...LOL and i was parked at a 7-11 at the time.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
WDP 4G

Originally Posted by bkstylez
I believe in NY the back windshield are illegal too, its just the tint meter cannot be used in the back. You can tint the upper windshield but no more then 6 inches from the top. As for ticketing all 4 windows, probably just a way for the city to make more money. If you plead not guilty and remove the tint, the judge would only reduce the fine but you still have to pay surcharge.
Nah I think the back windshield is okay, as long as you have dual side mirrors or something like that. I'm guessin you like in NY by your name but I might be wrong.

Here's a link to NYS tint laws:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/
Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 AM
7th Gear

Nah I think the back windshield is okay, as long as you have dual side mirrors or something like that. I'm guessin you like in NY by your name but I might be wrong.

Here's a link to NYS tint laws:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NY/
Your right about the back windshield, and yes im in NY. Thats why I mentioned the surcharges in NY for tickets, its more than the fine.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I'm sorry, but is this like the "don't buy red cars becasue you'll get more tickets" syndrome. I beleive that was thoroughly debunked over the years and I beleive that as someone else stated, drive like and ass and you'll get ticketed.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
In GA the law is 35% tint...some areas let you go, but I have actually seen a person remove their illegal tint on the spot to avoid a $250.00 ticket.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Well I just hadmine installed today so we will see.

5% all around but windshield is oem.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
In my experience this is most definitely true.

"Luxury" cars and cars driven in affluent areas tend to receive less tint tickets.
My TL and my wife's Q7 have identical 15% tint all-around (winshield excluded). I get tint tickets every 3-4 months, while my wife has never even been pulled over or questioned about her tint.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Instructor

The wife got pulled over in my 4G TL while sitting at a light. 20% tint all the way around. The cop appeared to be surprised she was behind the wheel being all dressed up from work. She played dumb. The officer said you need to get it removed right away (scare tactic). Went back to the police car to write a ticket when the wife went back to the cops car (did i mention skirt and heels?) to mention she knew several state police. That seemed to irritate the cop even more and he mentioned to her that he doesn't let his own family members drop his name (wonder why?). Anyway he had her go back to the car and ran her license which came up clean and let her off with a warning saying that if he saw that car again he would pull it over and give it a ticket. Since then, nothing. I have been pulled over with other cars with the same 20% tint more often than in the TL. So to answer your question. MAYBE.... Yeah, i'm thinking they give the better cars the benefit of the doubt.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by KeithL
drive like and ass and you'll get ticketed.
I disagree. I've never been caught speeding and I've gotten tint tickets about 5 times in the last 5 years. My mother's CLK has I think 20% tint and has never been ticketed in the last 8 years. I think it has to do with the person behind the wheel rather than how you are driving.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced

I am about to go to tint shop to have my brand new TL tint. Do you refer to have 3rd brake light tint or cut it out? Is 5% or 20% tint better for a black car? I am in CA
Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
10th Gear

does anyone know what the legal limit is in FL. I believe it's 15% but i would like to know before i re-do my windows.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mdx_tl
Do you refer to have 3rd brake light tint or cut it out? Is 5% or 20% tint better for a black car? I am in CA
Definitely get the 3rd brake light tinted, looks alot better IMO. I have 5% all around including the 3rd brake light and I think it looks great.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2010_TL
Definitely get the 3rd brake light tinted, looks alot better IMO. I have 5% all around including the 3rd brake light and I think it looks great.
Thanks. I am going to tint it with 5% but not front windows. CA tint law is not allow to tint front windows (must have at least 70% light)