Looking at a new TL-SH general questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at a new TL-SH general questions

Hey there, this is my first post here on az. I recently started looking for a newer car to replace my 04 toyota avalon. I am tired of the soft ride with no personality lol.
i have been looking for both new and used acura TL-SH. I am wondering if some of you prefer the older (09-11) TL-Sh over the 2012's.

I know the new 12s have the 6 speed auto and the advanced package as well as the revised front and rear, but for some reason I think the 09-11 TL-SH look better. I think its the 5 spoke wheels and the dual tipped exhaust that makes it look better.

I guess im wondering if it is worth it to get the 2012 tl-sh over the pre 2012s

I test drove a 2010 tl-sh today with the tech package and I have to admit I was quite impressed with the car. I just wish the sales guy would have allowed me to go on my own and he kept talking my ear off lol. I noticed the suspension seemed very firm....almost harsh in a sense. The ride was very sport with great acceleration and braking. leg room in the back was good except for the middle seat which I was unable to sit in....and i know that is because of the rear axle for the AWD.

How is road and wind noise in the car? I wasnt able to tell because it was hot out of i was blasting the AC. I dont expect it to be as quiet as my avalon.

Thanks guys, hopefully I will have a TL in the coming weeks.

PS. the TL-SH I was looking at was a CPO 2010 with 10k miles on it. The dealer said the prices was $37,900 what kind of price should i be looking for for a 2010 model?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Just the 6 speed tranny alone is worth getting a 2012.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by 04avalon
Hey there, this is my first post here on az. I recently started looking for a newer car to replace my 04 toyota avalon. I am tired of the soft ride with no personality lol.
i have been looking for both new and used acura TL-SH. I am wondering if some of you prefer the older (09-11) TL-Sh over the 2012's.

I know the new 12s have the 6 speed auto and the advanced package as well as the revised front and rear, but for some reason I think the 09-11 TL-SH look better. I think its the 5 spoke wheels and the dual tipped exhaust that makes it look better.

I test drove a 2010 tl-sh today with the tech package and I have to admit I was quite impressed with the car. I just wish the sales guy would have allowed me to go on my own and he kept talking my ear off lol. I noticed the suspension seemed very firm....almost harsh in a sense. The ride was very sport with great acceleration and braking. leg room in the back was good except for the middle seat which I was unable to sit in....and i know that is because of the rear axle for the AWD.

How is road and wind noise in the car? I wasnt able to tell because it was hot out of i was blasting the AC. I dont expect it to be as quiet as my avalon.

PS. the TL-SH I was looking at was a CPO 2010 with 10k miles on it. The dealer said the prices was $37,900 what kind of price should i be looking for for a 2010 model?
First of all welcome to the forum.

I own a 2010 6 speed manual TL (bought new last October) and personally I prefer the old style over the new more mainstream 2012 model.

However, if you go for the automatic transmission model, keep in mind that the new 2012 has 6 speed instead of 5 and you can get cooled seats in with the advance package.

With the manual TL is less of an issue because the number of gears is the same (6) and, weirdly so, you cannot get the advance package on a manual 2012 TL.

To sum it up, even if you like more the style of the 2009-2011, if you choose an automatic you get a bit of more useful refinement in the 2012, not so for the manual.

I totally agree that Acura should have at least left the quad tip exhausts on the SH-AWD......in my opinion the redesign was rushed a bit too much to market, they should have waited a bit more...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
22 years old...do you have kids/wife? if not skip the four door "sports sedans" and get a sports car period...Avalon are you serious...I smell a troll...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2012 would be worth it due to the extra tech/features/sound deadening. Imo, is as firm as it can get without becoming harsh (shawd).

Coming from the floaty avalon, the shawd will be significantly firmer, be prepared for that. Also try driving the 2012 base as the engine is much more efficient than the shawd and the ride is softer than the shawd, yet it handles relatively well and is still much more sporty than the avalon.

The wind noise is very low, but road noise, even after the 2012 changes, is still there. The 2012 will be much quieter than the 09-11, but will not be on the same level as your avalon or most lexus due to the suspension, which make them (both TLs) noisy over rough roads.

Also... yes the middle rear seat is best left for children, as no adults that get in my car can fit there comfortably.

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 08-08-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
22 years old...do you have kids/wife? if not skip the four door "sports sedans" and get a sports car period...Avalon are you serious...I smell a troll...
Sorry no troll here, yes I am 22 with no kids and no wife.....and yes i do have an Avalon. Is there something wrong with that? i bought that car during college because i got a great deal on it and because it was reliable. My girlsfriends mother had an 2001 avalon with over 300k miles on the original tranny and engine, and it still purred. I know its an old people car, but i Love it.....Now that i have a good paying job with my degree i figure its time to get a sport car which I always wanted.....I dont want a coupe I like having 4 doors. and up here in NY we get pounded during winter so a RWD sports coupe is out of the question.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:18 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
The 2012 would be worth it due to the extra tech/features/sound deadening. Imo, is as firm as it can get without becoming harsh.

Coming from the floaty avalon, the shawd will be significantly firmer, be prepared for that. Also try driving the 2012 base as the engine is much more efficient than the shawd and the ride is softer than the shawd, yet it handles relatively well and is still much more sporty than the avalon.

The wind noise is very low, but road noise, even after the 2012 changes, is still there. The 2012 will be much quieter than the 09-11, but will not be on the same level as your avalon or most lexus due to the suspension, which make them (both TLs) noisy over rough roads.
I didnt realize they added more sound deadening on the 2012s.
Im not worried about gas mileage really. I work 1 mile from home, so i rather have the AWD for winter and for fun during the summer. Also like i said in my previous post i want something sportier which i know comes with more noise and firmer ride. iv just gotten so used to feeling absolutely nothing when driving, it was weird feeling pot holes again lol.
The TL had so much more HP than i am used to, i was pushing the gas on the tl like i do on the avalon and i was caught off guard a couple of times lol.

Thanks for your help so far
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

If you totally despise manual transmissions, then I think the benefits of the 2012 model outweigh those of the 09-11 TL's. The 2012's have more sound deadening, have the 6 spd auto tranny, available with the advance package (do you really need cooled seats where you live?), the nav system's got the "song by voice" feature, a battery management feature, slightly better gas mileage, blacked out headlights etc.

The 2011 TL's have got the quad tips (SH model), more aggressive styling, gorgeous 18" rims (IMO - which is not available on the '12s) and cheaper price as pros.

You will find that Acura's and Honda's do not have a floaty feeling like some Toyota's and Lexus's. I used to own a Lexus IS250 and currently own a Camry as well, so the ride and handling are going to be different. As you may have already found out, the handling is much crisper in an Acura/Honda.

By the way, were they asking $37,900 for the 2010 CPO TL SH-AWD with 10k miles on it?? That's way too high.. I paid less than that for a brand new one (before taxes of course)

Last edited by lji; 08-08-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
Come on - who trolls saying they have an avalon?

04avalon - Welcome to AZ. The 2009-2011 are great rides. You either will love the look or hate it... there is no in-between.

My two thoughts for you are this:
If you're getting an 6MT - go for either the 2010/11 or 2012. Based on which one you like the look of best.
If you are going for AT - get the 2012 - hands down.

When you get it - post pics.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts

If you think the pre-2012 TL looks better, then make it your choice.

The worst thing in life is to buy and drive the car that you don't like the look, and then to regret your choice later on.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Fish on....
Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 AM
8th Gear

Thanks guys i think I will be going with the 2012 tl-sh with advanced. I will be leasing the car. I can get 6500 for my avalon so I plan on putting that down. I'm looking to lease the car to see if I like the acura and if I do I will buy it out after the lease.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys i think I will be going with the 2012 tl-sh with advanced. I will be leasing the car. I can get 6500 for my avalon so I plan on putting that down. I'm looking to lease the car to see if I like the acura and if I do I will buy it out after the lease.

If I were you, I will put the least amount of money I can towards the down payment on a lease (unless the lease factor goes lower by putting money down). I would also try to put the taxes in to the lease amount. With lease, if the car gets totalled, you will loose your down payment.

Good choice. You will not be disappointed with either 2011/2012. Good luck !!!

Last edited by white_sh; 08-09-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 AM
8th Gear

I would only put my trade in down plus taxes. I would put less down but don't want the hassle of selling my car privately. Now I thought with some leases if the car is totalled the insurance company will pay the value of the car.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
If you think the pre-2012 TL looks better, then make it your choice.

The worst thing in life is to buy and drive the car that you don't like the look, and then to regret your choice later on.
I started out liking the 09-11 because of the aggressive looks but when we start working the financing numbers....getting the 2012 was a smarter deal because I'll be paying less with the 0.9% interest. I was kind of worry that I didnt get the aggressive looking TL I've wanted but the 2012 grew on me very fast. You just gotta give it a chance I guess.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would only put my trade in down plus taxes. I would put less down but don't want the hassle of selling my car privately. Now I thought with some leases if the car is totalled the insurance company will pay the value of the car.
You can trade in the car and take the cash and put it in a savings account. Don't put that towards the down payment on the lease. With a lease, they will also sell you GAP insurance, which basically pays off the difference between what the insurance company pays and the loan amount in the event the car is totalled.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
I started out liking the 09-11 because of the aggressive looks but when we start working the financing numbers....getting the 2012 was a smarter deal because I'll be paying less with the 0.9% interest. I was kind of worry that I didnt get the aggressive looking TL I've wanted but the 2012 grew on me very fast. You just gotta give it a chance I guess.
It's good that you finally settled on a brand new 2012 TL. Just the new 6-speed auto box in the 2012 makes the 2012 a better car than all the previous pre-2012 TL's.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Sorry no troll here, yes I am 22 with no kids and no wife.....and yes i do have an Avalon. Is there something wrong with that? i bought that car during college because i got a great deal on it and because it was reliable. My girlsfriends mother had an 2001 avalon with over 300k miles on the original tranny and engine, and it still purred. I know its an old people car, but i Love it.....Now that i have a good paying job with my degree i figure its time to get a sport car which I always wanted.....I dont want a coupe I like having 4 doors. and up here in NY we get pounded during winter so a RWD sports coupe is out of the question.
Not a thing you got to be you...Enjoy
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by white_sh
You can trade in the car and take the cash and put it in a savings account. Don't put that towards the down payment on the lease. With a lease, they will also sell you GAP insurance, which basically pays off the difference between what the insurance company pays and the loan amount in the event the car is totalled.
You took the words right out of my mouth. When I leased in 09 I put 1600 down and it was all in the taxes. Sold my car privately for 5500 and put it away. The least amount down on a lease the better.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 PM
10th Gear

Congrats on your decision to purchase a new TL. You won't regret it. With $6,500 down you will have some good equity in the car. Why not just purchase it out right? Are you concerned about the monthly payments of a purchase vs a lease?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM
8th Gear

im not so much worried about the monthly payments....if i were to purchase the car it would be a loan for 60 months so it would take 5 years to pay off the car, I know i could pay it off early if i wanted to, but if i lease it for 3 years, i will have more than enough money to buy it out at the end of 3 years. and if i hate the car i can always get a 5th gen tl when they come out.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Your right on both counts. My brother-in-law still has his 2000 Avalon with around 220K and car just keeps on running. Good cars butT ugly.
And your right NY winters are a bitch as my nephew lives in Brooklyn and said this past winter was a MF even with his Pathfinder. Those NT roads (potholes) are killers on struts.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Cruisin'

I really wouldn't recommend putting down that much on a lease. You're better off putting that money in the bank to help offset the higher payment that you'll have. That way if you total the car or it gets stolen you aren't out that money.