long term battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
long term battery?

My replace battery light came on today.....

I had a feeling that it was going, just with longer starts and so on.

I cannot pro rate the battery because the sticker for the 100 month is not on the battery....anywhere. Acura can't confirm if this is their OEM battery or not.

That said.... Is there a battery out there for our cars which I could have the radio on and not worry about draining the power down for an extended period of time? This way, I can detail the car in the summer and listen to my HDD and not run the engine to recharge?

I understand theres a cost to it...but what kind of battery would I be looking for?

Thank you!!!!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
I would go for a similar battery to this one....AGM Battery | AGM Battery Charging | OPTIMABATTERIES

I don't think you can run the radio on it for long periods of time.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by DidiBob
My replace battery light came on today.....

I had a feeling that it was going, just with longer starts and so on.

I cannot pro rate the battery because the sticker for the 100 month is not on the battery....anywhere. Acura can't confirm if this is their OEM battery or not.

That said.... Is there a battery out there for our cars which I could have the radio on and not worry about draining the power down for an extended period of time? This way, I can detail the car in the summer and listen to my HDD and not run the engine to recharge?

I understand theres a cost to it...but what kind of battery would I be looking for?

Thank you!!!!

Literally every single battery will let you play the radio while you detail the car...

Optima Yellow Top may not be a bad choice
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Kinetik HC1800-BLU 1800 Watt 12V High Current AGM Car Audio Power Cell

I have this...
Old 02-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Odyssey Battery makes a good AGM battery.
ODYSSEY battery - Official Manufacturer's Site

If you're near an electrical plug it might be more cost effective to buy an inexpensive battery charger and hook it up while you're detailing the car.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Reorge
Odyssey Battery makes a good AGM battery.
ODYSSEY battery - Official Manufacturer's Site

If you're near an electrical plug it might be more cost effective to buy an inexpensive battery charger and hook it up while you're detailing the car.
We could recommend OP gets a bluetooth speaker for $80

I've got this one and it's pretty f'n loud

TDK TREK MAX
Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Any battery will act the same. You will drain it with running the radio and accessories. Only way to probably do it is hook up a battery charger while playing the radio. Otherwise get a bluetooth radio or plug in speaker.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Interstate Megatron Plus MTP-24F or MT7-34R (AGM bat)
or
Optima 8040-218 D35

Both owned by the same company. I havent had issue with my 4 other interstate batteries (all have been megatron plus)

Ill buy one of those 3 whenever my battery starts to hint any flakiness.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks all for the replies.
Here's the kicker.....since the other day, the replace battery light went away and the message has not recurred. Anyone else notice this at all?

I'm thinking its 4-5 yrs old, just replace it which I am doing. I posted the question to see what other batteries are out there that Acura won't charge me to test and then replace lol. I forgot about the megaton! Had that in my first car many moons ago.

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interstate agm is ur best bet right now
Old 03-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 14SH-AWD
Interstate agm is ur best bet right now
I recently went on vacation and did not use my 2012 TL for around 8-9 days. When I came back and started the car for the first time, while the car started fine, I got an error saying battery charge level is low and power off all lights/accessories.

This incident kind of worried me as not using car for 8 days, drained good amount of battery charge. That error did not recur after I drove the car for 30 mins or so.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by ganju420
I recently went on vacation and did not use my 2012 TL for around 8-9 days. When I came back and started the car for the first time, while the car started fine, I got an error saying battery charge level is low and power off all lights/accessories.

This incident kind of worried me as not using car for 8 days, drained good amount of battery charge. That error did not recur after I drove the car for 30 mins or so.
If you have a new battery then I would check the parastic draw on the battery once the car is off. It shouldn't be higher than 50 milliamps, a bad hands free unit or bad door handle could have that be at 200 milliamps, 4x the spec which drains the battery 4x faster!
Old 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I still have original battery, which could be over 3 years old.
That's a good idea. Is that something I can check with a standard multi-meter? Any ideas on how to measure it?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Another dead battery--2012 TL

So when the car was about 2 years old in 2014, the dealer replaced the battery during a routine service since "battery failed load test". During the last routine service a month ago, the battery (now about 27 months old) tested fine. Today we are driving and after stopping somewhere and then restarting, I get the "low battery" warning message telling me the car might be able to start a few more times but that I should replace. I go home, hook the battery up to my CTEK charger and all seems to go well to full charge.

Left to go on another errand and when getting back in the car NO start and a bunch of error messages (check braking system, check ABS system, check VSA system) and other weird things happening. I correctly concluded that the battery was shot so called AAA. The guy came out and checked (the load test showed 150 cranking amps available versus 550) and I had him install an Interstate battery.

I was wondering if Acura would have covered the 30-month old replacement that I got under warranty--I suspect not since I did not pay for that. But it irks me that you get almost no warning these days when a battery is about to go.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
So when the car was about 2 years old in 2014, the dealer replaced the battery during a routine service since "battery failed load test". During the last routine service a month ago, the battery (now about 27 months old) tested fine. Today we are driving and after stopping somewhere and then restarting, I get the "low battery" warning message telling me the car might be able to start a few more times but that I should replace. I go home, hook the battery up to my CTEK charger and all seems to go well to full charge.

Left to go on another errand and when getting back in the car NO start and a bunch of error messages (check braking system, check ABS system, check VSA system) and other weird things happening. I correctly concluded that the battery was shot so called AAA. The guy came out and checked (the load test showed 150 cranking amps available versus 550) and I had him install an Interstate battery.

I was wondering if Acura would have covered the 30-month old replacement that I got under warranty--I suspect not since I did not pay for that. But it irks me that you get almost no warning these days when a battery is about to go.
no warranty on batteries replaced under warranty from acura :/
Old 06-14-2016, 12:27 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
no warranty on batteries replaced under warranty from acura :/
Not exactly right. I called today just out of curiosity and had the second battery failed during the 4 year warranty, it would have been replaced again. But once the 4 years passes the cost of a new one from Acura is based on prorated use of the second. Probably would have ended up about the same as what I paid AAA for a better (hopefully) battery. The new battery is completely covered by AAA for 3 years and then prorated after that for the next 3 years.

Still it is odd that my CTEK charger did not indicate that the battery had problems but it could have been one shorted cell or something like that.