AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Leather quality of the seats (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/leather-quality-seats-714624/)

vinnier6 03-13-2009 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 10637767)
No not just the perforated sections. Leather was on the top surfaces but not the sides. The smooth sections adjacent to the perforated sections is leather on all TLs since 1996. On 2G and 3G the center section of the rear seat (under the armrest, if down) was pleather as were the door inserts.

the bolsters arent leather either....someone here already proved it when he had his seats recovered he took pictures of the back side and it was proven that they were not leather....its just the seating surfaces....ie the perforated sections...believe it or leave it alone...

Bearcat94 03-13-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 10637767)
No not just the perforated sections. Leather was on the top surfaces but not the sides. The smooth sections adjacent to the perforated sections is leather on all TLs since 1996. On 2G and 3G the center section of the rear seat (under the armrest, if down) was pleather as were the door inserts.

Thanks for the clarification/correction. :thumbsup:

Colin 03-13-2009 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by vinnier6 (Post 10638330)
the bolsters arent leather either....someone here already proved it when he had his seats recovered he took pictures of the back side and it was proven that they were not leather....its just the seating surfaces....ie the perforated sections...believe it or leave it alone...

That discussion has been had many times over and over again. I can tell for myself the difference between real and vinyl. I am sure, in this litigation filled country, someone would have taken Honda to court for the 'seating surfaces' statement if ANY part of the surface was vinyl.

Legend2TL 03-14-2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by vinnier6 (Post 10638330)

On the 3G, the center and side seating surfaces are both leather. The back and sides of the seat are vinyl. Putting a drop a water on it does not proof it being leather or not. Take a magnifying glass and look carefully at the seating surfaces and grain patterns. Also the texture is different.

gcook 03-14-2009 02:03 PM

if you don't like it take it in for warranty repair. I did it once, on my 97 cl, which had the same issue on 1 panel on the bottom of the seat, and they send it out to an upholstery and they replace the piece of leather..it was the same exact type of issue with wrinkling except it was only on 1 quarter section as that was a single piece of leather..

hypno999 03-14-2009 03:23 PM

Just put some leather conditioner on the seat, it will make it slicker, so when you move around you'll be gliding on across the seat instead creating new wrinkles.

csmeance 03-14-2009 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 10639682)
On the 3G, the center and side seating surfaces are both leather. The back and sides of the seat are vinyl. Putting a drop a water on it does not proof it being leather or not. Take a magnifying glass and look carefully at the seating surfaces and grain patterns. Also the texture is different.

depending on when your TL was made and what the factory had, what constitutes to seating surface differs. My TL has leather on all of the seat but the center console in the back, center seat in the back, and the seat backs. The little strip between the back and front of the seat is leather as well. This was confirmed by a professional upholsterer. On the other hand, TRIPNBEAT's 3G TL has only the perforated and part side bolsters as leather.

Colin 03-14-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 10641146)
The little strip between the back and front of the seat is leather as well.

I could buy that (though in my experience it was usually vinyl). But at no time was any part of the seat surface not leather on a 3G (not counting the center rear position).

csmeance 03-14-2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 10641463)
I could buy that (though in my experience it was usually vinyl). But at no time was any part of the seat surface not leather on a 3G (not counting the center rear position).

I'll snap some photos tomorrow, also the uphosltry shop said an easy technique that can be used to test for leather is to just do the press test, if you press on it, does it have lines like wrinkled skin? If yes, its part or all leather. If not, its plastic/vinyl

Colin 03-15-2009 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by csmeance (Post 10641890)
I'll snap some photos tomorrow, also the uphosltry shop said an easy technique that can be used to test for leather is to just do the press test, if you press on it, does it have lines like wrinkled skin? If yes, its part or all leather. If not, its plastic/vinyl

Believe me, I've had this conversation before:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/finished-leather-vinyl-colins-poke-test-676816/

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/parts-actually-leather-680554/

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/leather-pleather-662253/

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662253

I've been pointing out how to tell the difference for years...

Edited to add, that what I meant to say is that I can buy that the materials might have changed through the years and I'm not doubting that a 2004 TL might have more leather than a later model year. I just don't remember.

vinnier6 03-15-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Legend2TL (Post 10639682)

the drop of water was to prove that the leather is sealed with a coating and therefore not able to be conditioned as nothing will soak into the leather....

the parts that arent leather are synthetic leather, and the quality is soo good, that i doubt you or anyone else here could tell the difference without cutting it open....

Legend2TL 03-16-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by vinnier6 (Post 10643914)
the drop of water was to prove that the leather is sealed with a coating and therefore not able to be conditioned as nothing will soak into the leather....

the parts that arent leather are synthetic leather, and the quality is soo good, that i doubt you or anyone else here could tell the difference without cutting it open....

My wife's 2003 Honda Pilot side bolsters look the same as the 3G TL. When her car was being prep'ed one of the tech accidently ripped the leather on the driver's seat while removing the protective plastic.

When the replacement upper seat cover came in I went to the Reistertown Honda dealership and had it replaced. The tech showed me the original cover after replacing it. The center section and side bolsters are both leather. It was extremely clear to anyone looking at the material from the backside. Also the sides and rear of the seat are vinyl just like the TL. Pretty easy to determine.

Therefore I'm convince from looking at those seats and the look/feel/texture of the leather that the 3G seats are leather on the bottoms and the sides. The vinyl sections are also very evident.

nyyanks81 07-31-2009 12:21 PM

I took the car to the dealer to check it out and they will order a new rear seat cover and replace it when it comes in.

04WDPSeDaN 08-02-2009 09:51 AM

Sorry you have to go through this, I love that color leather but I have to insert my 2 cents in this.

Acura wants $1,500 for seat skins (O.E Covers) for my 04 TL. You ask me I think they should shove it up their you know what. My driver side seat for 57k looks like it has 120k.

It gets even better... Many upholstery shops don't want to deal with Airbags in the seats just for the main reason if the airbag doesn't deploy correct due to custom covers.

Unfortunatly again for me, in 2004 Acura decided that you can only use 04 seats. From 05+ the way they bolt on to the floor the harness is different and something with the seat belt bucket is different from the 04. Wonderful..

It's been said again and again, all these seats aren't 100% leather. Portions of the seat are vinyl just like the 3G TL. Therefore those areas will wear out a lot faster than those made of leather.

From personal experience, Ive used all sorts of leather cleaners / conditioners and found out it makes the seat too soft which allowes more butt prints and wear marks since it's easier for the leather/vinyl to strech.

What has been helping, Magic clean erasers very light scrub with a good amount of water and drying them off with towels. I let them sit for a few hours and not only do they look great but feel firm. Putting lots of conditioner makes your seats look oily and doesn't allow the seat to breath. Leather needs to breath with some proper care it can go a long way.

The solution with my seats.. I bought another better used set of 04 seats, cleaned them up and put them in my car. I know I may be heading down this path again in 2 years but by then I might have sold the car or by then hopefully I can find a place not scared to re-upholster my seats.

shakedown 08-02-2009 04:35 PM

give it a shot to get new one leather. but if it comes from different parts it is not going to matcch that is why i go with black..