LATCH system / Best color for dirt

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LATCH system / Best color for dirt

I was hoping some of you guys might have some insight to answer these two questions:

1) I read the owner's manual section on car seats, and it states that the LATCH system for child car seats is only installed in the two outer seats. My other car has a similar set up, but the anchors are evenly spaced, allowing for the seat to be anchored in the middle as well. Seeing as the rear middle seat is the safest place for a child, has anyone tried to use this system in the middle seat and/or can anyone give me an idea whether or not these anchors are evenly spaced?

2) It's a well-known fact that some colors are inherently bad when it comes to hiding dirt, chips, etc. (black, white, dark blue, etc.). From those that own a new TL, what colors do you think work best for hiding minor damage and dirt?

Thanks!!! Keep up the great posts!
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Instructor

the spacing of the latch anchors actually nothing to do with them not suggesting a center seat latch installation. the issue with most cars is that below the anchors, each pair is attatched to one bar down there. so when you use the anchors on either the left or right side, the tension and stress is on one assembly behind the seat cushions. so installing a seat in the center would put uneven tension on each latch bar, only on the one end of that bar. this is the reasoning I see from the cars I work on.......... don't misuse the system, if you want to use the center, do a seat belt installation, it's actually safer(if done right) and can restrain more weight. latch systems generally have about a 40 lb weight limit.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good to know about the LATCH System.

as far as colors, black is a bitch to keep clean, i should know, i own one actually 2 my wifes RDX is black as well. usually the grey's and silvers are the best at hiding dirt.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Advanced

i find that dark color's hide dirt better but are a bitch to wash because of how quick they dry

dark colors also show dust easier
although light colors can't hide dirt well at all
Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yup, black is a dust magnet. Like 10 minutes after washing & drying my car, I can already see a fine layer of dust on it. I keep a duster in my trunk but it's a never-ending battle. Silver is probably the best color in hiding dust, dirt, and scratches....but it's the most "vanilla" out of all the colors out there.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the good advice about the LATCH system... I'll be sure not to use it that way, but I still think it's dumb that they haven't set it up for the center seat. As I've tried to install my new car seat for our newborn, I've noticed its infinitely faster to use the LATCH system, and it seems to work better than the seatbelt for my wife's car.

Regarding color, other posts seem to lean towards the silver as the best at hiding dirt... but I'm pretty sure I don't want a Polished Metal or Palladium color car though. Anyone have any experience with nicks/swirls/cleaning required on Royal Blue Pearl, Grigio or Mayan Bronze Metallic?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Grigio is perfect if you don't want to go with silver. It's like a charcoal color, and hides the dirt and dust very well. One thing it doesn't do well with is after it rains, and the rain settles and dries on the car. It seems to leave behind a gross, dirty looking bunch of streaks. Other than that it's perfect =)
Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
I have put my baby's car seat in the the middle rear facing so it will fit, not sure why they called out the LATCH in those locations my previous 04 TL had little buttons as locators. I agree black is a tough one to keep clean and of course white. I like looking at white cars but could never see myself buying one.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

In my opinion Royal Blue Metallic is the best all around color... I’ve had an 04’ Navi, A-Spec and just recently bought an 09’ base with tech. Both cars are RBM with parchment interior. You will find RBM to be one of the rarer colors on the road (at least here in Indiana). RBM is dark enough to get a nice deep shine but also just light enough to hide dust and light dirt after a week of driving. Chips on the bumper will disappear because the bumper covers are black plastic. Rock chips on metal surfaces will show up as an off white almost grey color. With the flat design of the 09’s hood I don’t think chipping will be that big an issue. That giant shield will take most of the abuse..
Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Olu
Instructor

I'm not sure any of those responding have children. Sure black shows dirt and dust more, but with an infant, soon to be toddler, you're talking about milk, juice, cookies, fruit...etc. While you may notice dirt more on black, it will not stain. My previous car had black leather interior and had a ton of crap from the kids. When I sold it, a quick wipe down and they were as good as new.

My 3 week new umber interior already has a nice black streak behind the driver's seat where my daughter kicked it with her shoe.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a 1 year old, i did get black interior
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Instructor

I have a 2.5 year old daughter and a one month old son....... no milk, juice, fruit, french fries, etc allowed in the car. the 2.5 year old can have water with a spill proof lid, and snacks on trips that are easily vacuumed up for any mess. nothing potentially sticky or greasy, etc..... remove your kids seat on a regular basis to clean and treat the leather and you'll be all good.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevel
I have a 2.5 year old daughter and a one month old son....... no milk, juice, fruit, french fries, etc allowed in the car. the 2.5 year old can have water with a spill proof lid, and snacks on trips that are easily vacuumed up for any mess. nothing potentially sticky or greasy, etc..... remove your kids seat on a regular basis to clean and treat the leather and you'll be all good.
Yes, I initiated the same rules in my car, especially with the umber interior. Unfortunately a kick to the back of my seat wasn't on the "Acura rules list" until after it happened.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Instructor

I have a silver (palladium metallic) 09 TL and it does a great job hiding the dirt.
You cant tell its dirty until you get right up close to it....
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

Reason I got the Polished Metal Metalic was to hide dirt and dings. More character than silver and not quite as dark as Grigio. Very Classy look and easy to clean. Love my funky 4G!