Lamin-x and "Crazing"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Lamin-x and "Crazing"

I’ve ordered a replacement passenger headlamp, and I’m tempted (given the cost of these things) to protect it with a Lamin-x film upon installation (along with the other headlamp and the two new fogs also going it). I had some concern about possible spiderweb cracks (or “crazing”, as I now understand they are sometimes called) from the film. I’ve read a couple of sources that blame film overlays for this.

I wrote to Lamin-x, and they say that crazing does occur, but their research suggests that it happens to both filmed and unfilmed headlight lenses. They stopped short of saying that the film had nothing to do with the crazing, but I believe that’s what they were implying. They used the example of a Ford Focus ST.

Has anyone experienced “crazing” on headlights protected by a film (or on an unprotected TL, for that matter)? Any other comments by anyone with film?

Also, for those who have filmed their fogs, have you gone with clear, or something else. I’m torn between yellow and clear, and am not sure what will look better on CBP.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
a protected light is always going to be better than a unprotected.

lamin-x makes the best film protection on the market next to 3m..

and as we spoke about earlier on pm, its how you treat the film.. if you have your car running and the fog lights on while your stationary, then you will make the film heat up, and when you drive it will cool down too fast and it will start to crack over time. ive had mine for 3 years and now it barely starts to show signs of it burning but it can be peeled off and replaced with new one.

although i know peeling it off on glass fogs work, i am unsure about plastic lens fogs..
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
i just put my lamix on for the fogs thanks for the info on buring them out and usage ^^^^^i didnt think it would be that critical if the car was not in motion while the lights are on even with the heat they carry i thought the technology behind the lamix would have been designed with that in mind ...i will be more aware and not to use the fogs unless needed and only when in motion
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potmilkz
although i know peeling it off on glass fogs work, i am unsure about plastic lens fogs..
That's a very good question...one that I had not considered.

Originally Posted by real_mckoy
i didnt think it would be that critical if the car was not in motion while the lights are on even with the heat they carry i thought the technology behind the lamix would have been designed with that in mind
According to the fine folks at Lamin-x (they're very good at answering inquiries), the film is fine...it's the adhesive that has problems with the heat.
The following users liked this post:
real_mckoy (06-06-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I’ve ordered a replacement passenger headlamp, and I’m tempted (given the cost of these things) to protect it with a Lamin-x film upon installation (along with the other headlamp and the two new fogs also going it). I had some concern about possible spiderweb cracks (or “crazing”, as I now understand they are sometimes called) from the film. I’ve read a couple of sources that blame film overlays for this.

I wrote to Lamin-x, and they say that crazing does occur, but their research suggests that it happens to both filmed and unfilmed headlight lenses. They stopped short of saying that the film had nothing to do with the crazing, but I believe that’s what they were implying. They used the example of a Ford Focus ST.

Has anyone experienced “crazing” on headlights protected by a film (or on an unprotected TL, for that matter)? Any other comments by anyone with film?

Also, for those who have filmed their fogs, have you gone with clear, or something else. I’m torn between yellow and clear, and am not sure what will look better on CBP.
I recently sanded and polished my glass foglights and then applied the blue Lamin-X film to protect them as well as provide a different look to the front end. My car is also CBP and I think the blue looks fantastic. When the lights are on it's barely noticeable, which makes me happy because I didn't want that cheap blue "fake HID" look. Yellow is very common, looks good as well, but would definitely alter the colour of the light more than the blue. Colour aside, the Lamin-X films seem to be of the highest quality and I would definitely recommend them.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I've used Lamin-X for years, never had any problems with their products. I currently have the yellow on my fogs and love them.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I've put lamin-x on my 4g headlights, when i took it off a year later my headlights were garbage. Cracked from the film. It may be a temperature issue with Canadian winters and hot summers. I wouldn't ever recommend to film your headlights especially located in Alberta
Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
^^^^^

Can you post some pics ?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks like my wife's MDX fog/DRL housings have experienced "crazing". Lamin-x has been on it for past four years and it's started to discolor a bit. Upon close inspection, several horizontal cracks have appeared. When I ran HID fogs on old 03 TL with glass lens, it was okay. I am assuming it's combination of plastic lens plus higher temperature of halogen lights causing issues.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^

Can you post some pics ?
I swapped my headlights when I had them blacked out and new lenses put in. He was really nice about the issue and let me still swap the pair (minus some of the deposit i think?)

So I no longer have that pair luckily
Old 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I've ordered the films, and will certainly put them on the fogs, but now I don't know what I'm going to do about the headlights. They're expensive to replace, and I don't want to leave them unprotected, but I also don't want to use a product that will cause the harm I'm trying to avoid. I had film on the headlights of my last car (not Lamin-x...3M I think), and the lights were fine after 9 years.

It's really difficult to keep a car nice in this city. Between the "sand" (in truth, road crush) they put down in the winter, and the idiots that improperly cart landscaping materials around in the summer (I've got two new chips in my windshield since starting this thread), it's a constant battle.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Ive had lamin x on my 4g since 2009 and the lamps have been perfect. I do cover my car and do not drive it often. Just turn 37K. Ive had lamin x on my miata since 2006 and no issue. I would never use it on fog lamps with factory bulbs. I have led bulbs in the fogs on my acura and no issue whatsoeer. However the fogs on my miata get VERY hot and the Lamin x burned in the center. Without modification I cannot use LEDs in the Miata.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:40 PM

wish someone can lamin-x their whole car.. it would be scratch proof lol.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the smoke color lamin-x on my fog and they are burned up.

I bought the film to protect the fogs because of a broken fog light...I'm using hoen Xenonmatch bulbs at 55w.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks farmdog (and everybody, even though you've all been of absoloutely no help, as I'm still left not knowing what to expect). What thickness did you have on the fogs, the 12 mil or the 40 mil? Also, also the film burned, are you able to remove it, or has this also damaged the light itself?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
I have seen many threads complaining about Lamin-X causing headlight lens cracking or crazing. I personally think that there are two problems - the film thickness, and not leaving a clear space around the edge of the lens.

I have had 8-mil CLEAR BRA brand film on both headlights and fog lights for 5-years. No problems. However, the installer did tell me that they purposely leave a small 1/8 to 1/4 inche gap around the outside of the lens, to allow for heat dispersion - no idea if that is valid, just what he said.

I can see a couple of small (tiny) places where the film has been damaged, enough to show the actual lens. No damage to the lens. I assume it was pebbles.

On the other hand, last fall the car was in an accident, which damaged the headlight - cracked the shell but NOT THE LENS. Yes, the shell was completely broken, including one broken mounting tab, but the lens was not.

CLEAR BRA is used by my Acura dealer on new cars, and is why I used it. That brand is only available in a few mid-western states, at company endorsed installation places. You can search online I guess.

Be aware that there is a GM TSB which states that there are many chems which can cause healight lens crazing and cracking. Basically, anything other than water is a NO-NO. That includes car wax, although I have used Meguiar's M21 without problems.

Also, there is a caution against using a fender cover that drapes over the headlight, because often when working on a car, the headlights are on, and the heat will damage the headlight lens.

Last edited by dcmodels; 06-13-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Instructor

It's the 12...I haven't had time to remove them yet, but when I do I will update the condition of the lens.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Instructor

I removed the covers last night and the lenses were fine.....the plastic was just burnt. I had them on for just over two years.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by dcmodels
I have seen many threads complaining about Lamin-X causing headlight lens cracking or crazing. I personally think that there are two problems - the film thickness, and not leaving a clear space around the edge of the lens.

I have had 8-mil CLEAR BRA brand film on both headlights and fog lights for 5-years. No problems. However, the installer did tell me that they purposely leave a small 1/8 to 1/4 inche gap around the outside of the lens, to allow for heat dispersion - no idea if that is valid, just what he said.

I can see a couple of small (tiny) places where the film has been damaged, enough to show the actual lens. No damage to the lens. I assume it was pebbles.

On the other hand, last fall the car was in an accident, which damaged the headlight - cracked the shell but NOT THE LENS. Yes, the shell was completely broken, including one broken mounting tab, but the lens was not.

CLEAR BRA is used by my Acura dealer on new cars, and is why I used it. That brand is only available in a few mid-western states, at company endorsed installation places. You can search online I guess.

Be aware that there is a GM TSB which states that there are many chems which can cause healight lens crazing and cracking. Basically, anything other than water is a NO-NO. That includes car wax, although I have used Meguiar's M21 without problems.

Also, there is a caution against using a fender cover that drapes over the headlight, because often when working on a car, the headlights are on, and the heat will damage the headlight lens.
as far as anyone should worry.. for headlights it is fine.. for foglights, its a whole different story.. headlights generally dont generate heat as the bulb sits pretty far back or inside a projector.. foglights however have the lens sit right in front of the bulb which causes heat.. so your 1/8th or 1/4th point theory is irrelevant.. heat is heat.. cutting it in a specific way will not help.. if you are not driving and you are leaving your fog lights on then it will damn sure melt on to your lens.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by farmdog
I removed the covers last night and the lenses were fine.....the plastic was just burnt. I had them on for just over two years.
Lamin-x offers a 5 year warranty, meaning free replacement or full refund. If you're interested.

I'm still a bit undecided, even though my Lamin-x arrived two days ago, and the replacement fogs (and headlight) are going in today. I think I'll get an idea of how hot they run before making up my mind. I specifically got the yellow, with the intention that I intend to use the fogs as fogs, or in other rare circumstances where I need extra light. In the past, I've tended to run them all the time, which part of me thinks is tacky, or at least trying too hard, but I did it nonetheless. The other thing that concerns me is, again, the replacements have plastic lenses, which might react differently than what you experienced.

The headlights I'm going to hold off on for now.