Kicking Tires 1st Look w/ Pix in other Colors

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Arrow Kicking Tires 1st Look w/ Pix in other Colors

1st Look 2009 TL

Editor's note: Automakers routinely embargo information on new cars in an attempt to create an even playing field for publications — so no one has a leg up over another. However, there is an art of breaking embargoes that benefits those who manage to get the information up first, thus generating loads of web traffic. At Cars.com, we honor all automakers’ embargoes unless our competitors break them. We then feel compelled to make sure our readers are as educated as others. Below is our pre-embargo look at Acura’s all-new TL sedan, including a photo gallery of manufacturer images. We’ll have a full review posted on Monday, Aug. 18, which is the embargo date, with our own photos and driving impressions.

Acura has completely redesigned its most popular model, the TL, for the 2009 model year. The sedan is based on the Honda Accord platform, but there’s no way you could confuse the two when looking at them.

The radical look of the 2009 TL is already generating massive feedback on automotive blogs and online forums. Now having seen it in person, spending a lot of time staring at it from all angles and in different colors, I can say it is definitely better looking in person.

It’s striking, to say the least. On our drive, passers-by turned their heads. One Acura RL driver at a stop sign literally held up traffic to check out our train of new TLs driving through winding Connecticut roads.

What You Need to Know

The biggest change for shoppers is that Acura has created two distinct trim levels of the TL. There’s the base TL, which has a 280-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 with front-wheel drive. For enthusiast drivers, there’s an all-new TL SH-AWD, which features Acura’s all-wheel-drive system and a larger, 305-hp, 3.7-liter V-6. Both are teamed to a five-speed automatic transmission with shift paddles on the steering wheel.

Inside

The interior was very nice. There are a number of color combinations available, and the SH-AWD trim has larger, more bolstered sport seats with fancier stitching.

There’s a world of tech inside, too. Voice-activated navigation, weather and traffic, along with iPod integration, will keep most drivers occupied. Acura has also upgraded its center-knob interface, which was definitely needed.

The TL is longer outside, leading to slightly more room inside. Rear legroom, hip room and shoulder room improved, while the front-seat dimensions shrank so slightly it’s hard to notice a difference.

Prices have not been announced yet, but they should stay close to the 2008 numbers when the TL goes on sale this September.

Bottom Line

This is one car where I know I’ll be saying in the comments, “Wait until you see it in person.” It may look “strange,” but it will stand apart from the competition, good or bad.

I wish I could talk more about the driving experience and how the TL holds up against the competition, but that will have to wait another week.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
The brown interior looks GREAT.
it's very similar to the old CAMEL one, that was putted away nobody knows why in the restiled TL.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Me...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
The brown interior looks GREAT.
it's very similar to the old CAMEL one, that was putted away nobody knows why in the restiled TL.
Hate the "camel" interior...
Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I Love the Camel Interior..infact it's bascially the only part of the 4th gen I like. It reminds me of the similar color infiniti offers, however. I don't like the fact that base models will have the same engine as the TL-S but this was expected. I really think the 3rd Gen styling was much more redefined..but whatever the designers know best I guess. Thank god I picked up another TL-S when I had the opportunity or I would be out of the acura family for awhile.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
wtHELL is acura thinking?!
Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Instructor

as 3G looks great in WDP, 4G with that grille and tail lights look awfull
Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tabeytabe
your taste...
I hate black interior, for example.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
me too
Old 08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
better than boring black.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

They need some other colors for the interior, there are cheaper cars that offer it so why not. Now on the other hand I can't seem to to like this car in most of the outside colors they offer. I'd like to see it in a bright red.