key 1/key 2 setting ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
key 1/key 2 setting ?

when i bought my car, i was using key 2 and set everything up with that key...if i want to use key 1, is there a way to have my settings move over to that, or do i just have to go through everything and reset it all for key 1??
Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Everything set to key 1 sets to key 1 upon using it. And everything set to key 2 sets to it upon using that key. So yes you have to reset it.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both key 1 and key 2 have this tiny port a the bottom. Go to your local radio shack and get a cable to connect both. Press the door lock and unlock buttons at the same time and all your settings will be transferred to key 2.

I was doing the same thing. You have to reset it buddy.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
or, have it set up how you like (key 2) and then program key 1 to those same settings. this isnt hard, like 2seconds. so you dont have to move anythign, its already set how you like. the settings are saved in the car so you dont have to do anything to the fob. so right now, walk to your car and unlock it with key 2, then click the "learn" button or whatever its called, then press and hold "key 1" button. done and done. make sense?

crap, unless its different for the 4G...shouldnt be though.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
or, have it set up how you like (key 2) and then program key 1 to those same settings. this isnt hard, like 2seconds. so you dont have to move anythign, its already set how you like. the settings are saved in the car so you dont have to do anything to the fob. so right now, walk to your car and unlock it with key 2, then click the "learn" button or whatever its called, then press and hold "key 1" button. done and done. make sense?

crap, unless its different for the 4G...shouldnt be though.
It's the same, all you have to do is have the seat where you want it with key 2, press the learn or set button beneath the 1 and 2 buttons and press the 1 button and you'll hear some beeps, your settings are now set to key 1 and key 2.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Safety Car

that will work for the seat, but i want my radio and other settings to go too...the learn buttons you guys talking about, i assume thoes are the 1/2 buttons on the door inside the car...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by vinnier6
that will work for the seat, but i want my radio and other settings to go too...the learn buttons you guys talking about, i assume thoes are the 1/2 buttons on the door inside the car...
it should work for everything. the only way they would be different is if you change a setting. but if you leave all the radio stations the same, and the mirror, and the seat the same, and then program it to the other key they should all be saved. its not like all the settings get wiped out.

if you wanted them to be different you would just make all the seat and mirror changes, and reprogram the radio, then hit the "learn" sequence. but you dont, you essentially just want the two to be the same...which is the easiest. i have my 1 and 2 settings for like normal and relaxed seating. one for normal drive and one with a more relaxed sitting position for long cruises. all i do is pop the car in park, hit 2, and the seat adjusts....but all the radio stations stay the same.

either way, this is not a difficult issue.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Full of water...

yes, those are the buttons. for the 3G you would just press the "learn" (or whatever the button is called) then hold either the 1 or 2 button till it beeps. so i assume its the same. just sit in the car, press the "learn" button , then hold whatever the number is you want to program, and you should be good to go. both 1 and 2 will be the same. and even if you use the "2" fob, once you get in you can just press the "1" button on the door and everything will readjust or stay the same or whatever you choose.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

ok, i get that, but when i walk up with key 1 in my hand, it defaults back to everything that key 1 had saved in it...ie, the seat moves to whatever it was saved at with key 1, and the radio stations and other stuff do the same thing...i want to have my key 1 saved just like my key 2...the keys folks, not the 1/2 mem buttons on the door...each key can save a 1 and a 2 mem setting....
Old 08-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Full of water...

...the keys folks, not the 1/2 mem buttons on the door...each key can save a 1 and a 2 mem setting....
each key saves two settings? really?

at least in the 3G the key doesnt save your settings, the car does. so unlock with key 1, press the door "key 2" button to get the settings how you want, then hit the "learn" then "key 1" buttons to program the key 1 button the same as key 2. spo now when you use the key 1 fob it will have the same settings. i apologize if thigs have changed that much for the 4G, but the 3G works just as i have stated. the car saves the two settings, its just the key that tells it which one to activate, and for your issue you just need to push whatever button has your saved settings, then program the other button to save the same settings. again, unless i am wrong about the 4G, this should be a 2 second task.

Last edited by blkaspec; 08-06-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

my 07 type s worked the same way....the key tells the car which settings to bring up...audio/personal settings, and 1/2 mem settings for each key...the 1/2 mem settings are seats and mirrors only, and its both 1 and 2 for each key, all together 4 different seat and mirror settings....the audio and other settings are only for each key, 2 different settings...if that makes any sense...it does to me...that is how my 3g type s worked....

so right now, i am using key 2....i can set up my seat 2 different ways, my audio and other prefs are all set...

if i get out of the car with key 2 and go get key 1 and walk up to the car, the seat automaticly changes to whatever was set up for it along with all the audio and other prefs...i am trying to see if the 4g changed in a way that i can just do something that makes my key 1 set up with the same settings without going in and manually changing everything...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

here, do this...take whatever key your not currently using, and go to the car and change some audio settings and some lighting settings, move the seat around for 1 and 2 mem buttons, save it all and get out of the car....lock it and unlock it, whatever else...

then go get your other key and see what happens...then get back to me...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Full of water...

haha, ok. it will have to wait till later though this is something i had no clue about. i thought it was just two settings and each fob only controlled one, and you could get to either of the two settings by either using the fob, or by just clicking the button inside. so what you are saying is that the 1/2 buttons inside are dependent on which fob you use. so inside1 for fob1 can be different than inside1 fob2. this just blew my mind...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blkaspec
haha, ok. it will have to wait till later though this is something i had no clue about. i thought it was just two settings and each fob only controlled one, and you could get to either of the two settings by either using the fob, or by just clicking the button inside. so what you are saying is that the 1/2 buttons inside are dependent on which fob you use. so inside1 for fob1 can be different than inside1 fob2. this just blew my mind...
bingo brother....that is correct
Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Exclamation

Lots of confusion in here. There are 2 types of settings for these cars which correspond to the key fob. The 1st is seat memory settings, this is set with the 1/2 buttons on the door. There are also "keyless memory settings" these are things like how long the interior lights stay on and when the doors would lock and unlock automatically. These settings can only be set on the MID.

Using the seat memory buttons on the door will only lock in seating position and outside mirror position. No other settings can be memorized via these buttons.

So to answer the OP, you need to unlock the door with what ever key you want to adjust the settings for then go into the "keyless memory settings" on the MID, then adjust whatever settings you want.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by black label
Lots of confusion in here. There are 2 types of settings for these cars which correspond to the key fob. The 1st is seat memory settings, this is set with the 1/2 buttons on the door. There are also "keyless memory settings" these are things like how long the interior lights stay on and when the doors would lock and unlock automatically. These settings can only be set on the MID.

Using the seat memory buttons on the door will only lock in seating position and outside mirror position. No other settings can be memorized via these buttons.

So to answer the OP, you need to unlock the door with what ever key you want to adjust the settings for then go into the "keyless memory settings" on the MID, then adjust whatever settings you want.
thats what i pretty much thought...i just wanted to see if 4g changed anything to aid in me switching to other key and keeping my settings...

acura does after all call this the smartest key you will never need...