Invoice Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invoice Pricing

Can any of you advise if the invoice pricing went up although the MSRP remained the same? I was at the dealership today and the salesman showed me a printout and also told me that it went up. Does anyone know, thanks!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Have you checked Edmunds and True Car? They're pretty accurate as to invoice.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The stealer might not be showing you truthful printouts. I agree with the above post. Check those sites out.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Just checked edmunds and trucar. Edmunds has MSRP at $43,195 and invoice at $40,159...Truecar has MSRP at $44,005 and invoice at $41,269. Now which one is accurate??? The cars on the lot has MSRP at $43,195, so I guess the invoice must be $40,159. I don't believe what the salesman told me about how invoice went up but MSRP is the same. Maybe Acura did go up on MSRP for the more current vehicles on the lot? Can anyone else chime in on this please? Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Intermediate

I would guess that's BS. And, to be sure, I'd call or email other dealers to request invoice pricing.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slammie
I would guess that's BS. And, to be sure, I'd call or email other dealers to request invoice pricing.
Yeah, I am thinking the same. I just realized the price on truecar is $810 more than on edmunds. Coincidently, this is the exact cost for destination. I'm thinking more now that edmunds is correct and the dealer is BS'ing with me. Now I am going to email other dealers and see what they say. Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
Drifting

Depending on where you live, you should be able to cut a very good deal on the car. If you search this forum a bit, you'll find that people in Calif., the northeast, US and TX are starting to pick up these cars for below 38K. In the midwest and cities with only one or two dealers, 38K seems to be a very good price for a SH-AWD.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Depending on where you live, you should be able to cut a very good deal on the car. If you search this forum a bit, you'll find that people in Calif., the northeast, US and TX are starting to pick up these cars for below 38K. In the midwest and cities with only one or two dealers, 38K seems to be a very good price for a SH-AWD.

Good luck.
The dealership is saying because the invoice went up it will be a lil over 38k (whatever that means). I think that invoice crap is b.s. I am actuallt pretty pissed what the current salesman is quoting me. I have bought my wife's 09 MDX from there and my 08 Altima from there. Unfortunately the salesman from both of those deals is not working there anyomre. I may just go directly go the manager and say that the currrent salesman is really lowballing me and I don't appreciate that. I believe like what you said...a couple hundred $38k would be good enough deal that I would buy.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by pg2373
Maybe Acura did go up on MSRP for the more current vehicles on the lot? Can anyone else chime in on this please? Thanks
Your dealer appears to be quoting you an invoice that includes the factory holdback. This is an acceptable practice...but many dealers have got in the habit of being a little more open about it.

Just make an intelligent offer based on what you know, and based on what you have gathered here.

If I were you, I would have my financing straight or know my FICO score so that I know that I could get Honda financing.

On an SH-AWD with Tech and HPT, whether automatic or six speed, I would offer $39K out the door knowing that I could get the money. The first guy might try to laugh or frown, but don't let it deter you. Go on to the next guy and the next guy and then come back to the first guy so he knows what offers you have confirmed.

I would offer that to several dealers and let them know that I am doing it, and then I would go with whoever got me that price or the closest to that price.

You are going to see people posting here who just a few months ago got SH-AWD TL for a range of 38K to 40K. That does not necessarily mean that you can get the same price in March or April, because the money being offered by the factory has gone down.

But if you use this procedure, you will know that you've done the best that you can do in March of 2010. :-)
Old 03-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Thanks George. 39k OTD is a heck of a deal if I can pull that off. Thats near 7k off MSRP. My initial offer to dealers was going to be 40k OTD. This would make it around $37.5k or $5.6 under MSRP.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Grandpa

Thanks George. 39k OTD is a heck of a deal if I can pull that off. Thats near 7k off MSRP. My initial offer to dealers was going to be 40k OTD. This would make it around $37.5k or $5.6 under MSRP.
Be patient. Never be in a rush to buy a car if you can help it, and for goodness sake don't get trapped in a dealership for hours around a time that you need to be eating something.

:-)
Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally the 2010 invoice was listed at $39,759 for the 6MT or SH w/Tech. Some sites have raised their listing so it can be an indication that the invoice went up. If it did actually go up it would not have gone past the $40,159. Don't be afraid to work off the old invoice, that's what they would have sold it to you for a few months ago. Some of those few month old cars are still on the lots. Don't forget about the marketing support of $2,250 on tech models available in most areas.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced

The invoice is 40,159 everywhere I checked. I got mine for exactly that, and with the 2,750 incentive it came out to 37,409... great deal I think.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 PM
10th Gear

I went to Sussman acura in jekintown today.
They wanna give me $5000 for my 01 cl type s 93k miles srs light on. Out the door 2010 tl SH-awd tech package $35,659.77 with my trade in.. Any good ?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Ericb215
They wanna give me $5000 for my 01 cl type s 93k miles srs light on. Out the door 2010 tl SH-awd tech package $35,659.77 with my trade in.. Any good ?
You give them your cl type s and then you give them $35,659.77? If so - no that's not a good deal at all. See above, looks like that's not counting the incentive.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Where exactly are you located? What is the tax rate in that state? If its 5-6% tax rate like where I am at, I believe you can get a better deal. I think you should be able to get right around 40K out the door which means around $35k total. Like I said though, it still depends on where you are located.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Intermediate

Update...a local dealer quoted me for a TL-SH AWD with a sticker of $43,195..their price, $37,300. I think its a very good deal.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does the price quotes people are getting include the destination too?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Advanced

The dealership is saying because the invoice went up it will be a lil over 38k (whatever that means). I think that invoice crap is b.s. I am actuallt pretty pissed what the current salesman is quoting me. I have bought my wife's 09 MDX from there and my 08 Altima from there. Unfortunately the salesman from both of those deals is not working there anyomre. I may just go directly go the manager and say that the currrent salesman is really lowballing me and I don't appreciate that. I believe like what you said...a couple hundred $38k would be good enough deal that I would buy.
The invoice price will on 2010 Acura's will vary based on the production date. There is a $400 difference between car built between Jan and Feb. Acura did not change the MSRP just what the cost of the invoice cost.

Hold back is what the dealer retains in order to keep the doors open, please keep in mind it cost money to operate a Dealership. When a car is sold the Dealership has to pay the Sales person, mechanic, detailers, lot porters, accounting so on and so forth.

If a dealer is selling the car around and invoice and giving up the Dealer cash it's a fair deal if you go for the hold back and your pushing the envelope IMO.

If the dealership is offering it's service and is making you a fair deal buy the car. Most consumers will forget what they paid for a car a few Months after the purchase but people will always remember great service. I guess my point is you get what you pay for, also I would recomend buying from your local Dealership, as a Manager I will go out of my way to help a service Customer in a pinch if they purchased the car from my Dealership.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ALsAcura
The invoice price will on 2010 Acura's will vary based on the production date. There is a $400 difference between car built between Jan and Feb. Acura did not change the MSRP just what the cost of the invoice cost.

Hold back is what the dealer retains in order to keep the doors open, please keep in mind it cost money to operate a Dealership. When a car is sold the Dealership has to pay the Sales person, mechanic, detailers, lot porters, accounting so on and so forth.

If a dealer is selling the car around and invoice and giving up the Dealer cash it's a fair deal if you go for the hold back and your pushing the envelope IMO.

If the dealership is offering it's service and is making you a fair deal buy the car. Most consumers will forget what they paid for a car a few Months after the purchase but people will always remember great service. I guess my point is you get what you pay for, also I would recomend buying from your local Dealership, as a Manager I will go out of my way to help a service Customer in a pinch if they purchased the car from my Dealership.

Sorry for the rant.
Thank you for you input. So I guess the dealer was not pulling my leg with the "increase in invoice" and not the MSRP
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silver01cltypes
does the price quotes people are getting include the destination too?
That is what they are saying...I was really surprised myself when I opened that email and saw the price.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Drifting

I'd jump on 37.3 if it's clear there are no extra fees, charges, etc. That would be among the lowest prices we've seen.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Grandpa

That is what they are saying...I was really surprised myself when I opened that email and saw the price.
That is a very nice price.

Remember that when you go in to finish everything, to be in a good frame of mind and fully understand what is going to happen next.

There might or might not be a documentation and service fee of up to $500. More normally, this will be around half of that, but it will be in the paperwork and will be printed, not written in, as a sign that it is not negotiable. It is money that goes directly to the finance manager and dealership for doing everything that they do to investigate you and secure a loan. (And, of course, you're also paying for all the people whom they investigate and decide are people who are bad risks.)

You will have to decide whether or not to fight about that.

You will also be assaulted by a wealth of ideas and programmes that people do not really think about until the finance manager begins his pitch.

Life insurance? Job loss insurance? Gap insurance?

Do you want an extended warranty?

:-)

You've got a good beginning price, but you still have some decisions to make and if the finance manager is a good person (and a good salesman), you might still end up feeling you have to spend more money.

The good news is that you have started so well that even if you add another $1,000 for an extended warranty you are still doing very well.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Grandpa

I am not sure it is really fair to say what you said exactly the way that you said it, because a reader might infer from what you have typed that a dealership that bought a car in February is paying more than a dealership that bought a car in January, and that is not true.

It is related to how the holdback is reflected on the invoice, and a projection on the part of AHM that they will have to continue to mitigate the price of the TL with (a projected) ongoing $1000 or more in incentives. Most "invoices" no longer reflect real dealer cost because of the proliferation of information that makes it very easy for potential purchasers to research the public invoice price.

These are really, truly awesome cars...especially for the price, and it's just too bad that small controversies surrounding the design have caused them not to be blockbuster big hits.

As purchasers of Acura and Honda vehicles, we are just very lucky to have these kinds of decisions to make, and for the sake of stockholders we can only hope that with adequate provision for these incentives, the general buying public are just a few months away from realising that these are cars they should have been buying in great numbers all along!
Old 03-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I am not sure it is really fair to say what you said exactly the way that you said it, because a reader might infer from what you have typed that a dealership that bought a car in February is paying more than a dealership that bought a car in January, and that is not true.
Acura did just that! They raised the invoiced cost $400 sometime between Jan & Feb. I had a painfull reminder this Weekend, I quoted a Customer a deal at $200 below invoice less the dealer cash after the quote the deal I had to swap stock numbers because the stock number I had loaded in the computer was the wrong color when I switched the stock number over to the car that Customer actually wanted my deal went from $200 to $600 behind invoice.

The car the Customer wanted came in 9 days ago.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Grandpa

Acura did just that! They raised the invoiced cost $400 sometime between Jan & Feb. I had a painfull reminder this Weekend, I quoted a Customer a deal at $200 below invoice less the dealer cash after the quote the deal I had to swap stock numbers because the stock number I had loaded in the computer was the wrong color when I switched the stock number over to the car that Customer actually wanted my deal went from $200 to $600 behind invoice.

The car the Customer wanted came in 9 days ago.
I understand that this is how it appears to you, but if you talk to the franchisee or the general manager I think that you will probably find that the altered invoice does not reflect the real cost of purchasing the vehicle from the factory organisation.

Invoices are a bit of a crock these days, IMHO. :-)

There's no substitute for just politely shopping around after having your money straight to begin with. Knowing the "invoice" is an aid, a real tool, but it cannot (IMHO) be regarded as an accurate absolute reflection of the dealer's price of the vehicle.

I don't mean to sound like I know everything, and I recognise that you're going to have a logical come back.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Grandpa

In talking about this, I want to make it clear that I am not anti-dealer in any way.

People need to make a decent wage, and I know that selling cars in this economy is not easy.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Drifting

I agree that the invoice price should not be so important to the potential purchaser. It's information that is of some value, but is certainly not dispositive. The real issue is will the dealer sell you the car you want for $XXX. If yes, there's a deal, if no, there might be a counter and a compromise price that is agreed to. If you shop around, read this forum, look at Edmunds and TrueCar, you'll get a good idea of what the cars are actually selling for in the marketplace. That should be the most important info for a buyer. If Dealer A will meet your price and Dealer B won't, that's about all you need to know.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

This is how they broke it down.

Retail 43,195
Savings 5,360
Selling Price 37,834
Fees 199
Sales Tax 2,626
Trade in 5,000

Net Price 35,659

My 01 cl is not in excellent condition. Srs light is on and it needs new motor mounts.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Drifting

So your price exclusive of TTL is a tick over 38K. That's not bad; if you live in the Northeast, West Coast or Texas, you can probably do a little better. Somebody in Jersey, I think, just reported a 37.3 price on a AWD. If you're in the midwest or a smaller town with limited number of Acura dealers, 38K is pretty good.

Can't speak to the trade in value on your CL, but you can get that off of Edmunds, NADA, etc.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
10th Gear

Thanks I live in Philadelphia, I plan to go to another dealer tomorrow and see what they can do.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:54 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

Thanks I live in Philadelphia, I plan to go to another dealer tomorrow and see what they can do.
Try Davis if you have not been to them. I've had good luck there.... They have a lot of cars.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by George Knighton
In talking about this, I want to make it clear that I am not anti-dealer in any way.

People need to make a decent wage, and I know that selling cars in this economy is not easy.

I dont think your anti dealer.

I meet alot of people that have the preception that the invoice is fake thats why when I show an invoice I usally print info from a third party website like edmunds.

A good deal is a state of mind if a consumer feels like he got a good deal he got just that.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SUSSMAN. THEY ARE THIEVES. I just got a 2010 SH non tech from Davis in Langhorne for $35,005. Sussman not only wanted $2700 more they didn't even attempt to tell me about the $0 sign and drive and tried to load a whole bunch of frontend fees into the lease quote.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Cruisin'

BTW, If you decide to try Davis Acura, ask for Brandon. He's a young salesman that is very knowledgeable and wont try and jam a deal down your throat. I have purchased 3 Acuras from Davis and 1 from Sussman. After the recent experience with Sussman I wouldnt do business withe them if they were the only dealer in PA. Thats how they treat a returning customer can you imagine what a new one gets?