Invisible/Clear bra protection worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Invisible/Clear bra protection worth it?

This isn't really a performance part or mod question exactly but it seemed like the most appropriate place to post it. I have a 2009 CBP and although I love the color, like anyone, I hate all the small imperfections that can add up over time on your car. I know I cant eliminate the inevitable but would like to possibly reduce the amount of those small dings on the car and protect the life of the paint as much as possible. I'm considering having one of these "invisible" or clear car bras applied to all the leading edges of my TL after I change the grill to the RJ A-Bar. Also, I'm from the midwest and in the winter months with all the salt and sand on the roads the amount of "road grit" flying around only increases. Does anyone have any experience with one of these products? Advantages/disadvantages? Like them or don't like them? Are they worth the cost? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I think they are worth every penny. Ya on certain color cars you can see the shade difference in the color, like my WDP paint, but it is still worth it imo.
Anythings better than paint chips. The other thing, I think people go crazy when thye have there applied. The installers ussually suggest the front bumper cover of course, but they also tell you to do the hood, side mirrors, etc. so thye can charge you more money.
When I had mine done, I specified the parts I wanted done which was the front bumper cover as well as the pcs just above the headlights and my painted beak as well. I did not do the hood at all, I hate when there's a line running through the middle of the hood. And I did not do the side mirrors.
It cost me $350 to have it done and that's not bad as I had quotes of up to $700. I've had it on since Nov. 2009 and with no issues so far.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only worth it if you want your car to be protected and look new. If you dont care about either one of those things then save your money
Old 11-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Hawk, this is a good product. I would highly suggest not getting the 1/2 bra, which only covers partial areas of the car.

I have a friend that has a 3G TL with the clear bra, but it only comes up half way on the hood. You can clearly see the differentiation of the clear bra half way up the hood. I don't like this look at all. So when you get a quote, ask where the bra comes to on all surfaces.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have clear bra on two of my vehicles and its worth every penny to me. I get the full treatment plus I do headlights and fogs. My 2006 miata still looks brand new, not to mention my 09 TL. I am the most anal person in the world when it comes to cars and there is no way I would even drive my car without clear bra. When I bought my TL I went straight to the installer to get it done. I paid 550 for the whole job here in DC metro area.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Instructor

I feel car bras are so ugly..... they will mask the gorgeous look of the front!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Hawk, this is a good product. I would highly suggest not getting the 1/2 bra, which only covers partial areas of the car.

I have a friend that has a 3G TL with the clear bra, but it only comes up half way on the hood. You can clearly see the differentiation of the clear bra half way up the hood. I don't like this look at all. So when you get a quote, ask where the bra comes to on all surfaces.
I agree with you and jspagna1 about the trailing edge that gets left on the hood on most applications. I don't like that at all, plus I would imagine over time a line of dirt and dust would accumulate there (although I wash my car at least once a week if not more, maybe that would combat that problem?).

I haven't found any other options where it doesn't end on the middle of the hood. What are the other options like? Most of what I have found/seen were pre cut kits for the specific vehicle that the installer applies to to the appropriate areas.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I've got a guy here in Kansas City that will do the entire hood for you-if you want to make the hop to KC.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Eudreamality
He's getting a clear bra, not the old school car bras. If put on correctly, you can barely tell it's even on the car from a few feet away.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
To the OP, if you get one, make sure you take care of it. I've had one on my 3G since almost when I bought it (so about 7 years). It's showing its age. If it gets bug splatters on it, make sure you clean them off quickly. Mine has a clearcoat that scratches like a cars' clearcoat would scratch, so that's showing its age. I'm scared to take it off and put a new one on for fear I may pull paint chips (where rocks impacted it) off with it. I have no idea if that could happen, but...

I'm still debating whether or not I'll get it put on my next car. It served its purpose, but it's had its negatives, too.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Eudreamality
Clear bra, not car bra.

Buda's car below.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I've got a guy here in Kansas City that will do the entire hood for you-if you want to make the hop to KC.
Thanks I'll keep that in mind if I don't find a good option around here.

Well it sounds like if they are done right they can be a positive addition. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by HawkI
Thanks I'll keep that in mind if I don't find a good option around here.

Well it sounds like if they are done right they can be a positive addition. Thanks for the input guys.
Ya I got the same suggestion. The installer said he would do the whole hood if I wanted. If you get the kits, I think it only does half the hood where if you get an installer who does custom work he has sheets of the stuff and will do whatever areas you want. I just wanted tkeep it to a bare minimum beacuse on certain color cars like white, you will notice the difference up clos. I did'nt see the need to do the hood.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
To the OP, if you get one, make sure you take care of it. I've had one on my 3G since almost when I bought it (so about 7 years). It's showing its age. If it gets bug splatters on it, make sure you clean them off quickly. Mine has a clearcoat that scratches like a cars' clearcoat would scratch, so that's showing its age. I'm scared to take it off and put a new one on for fear I may pull paint chips (where rocks impacted it) off with it. I have no idea if that could happen, but...

I'm still debating whether or not I'll get it put on my next car. It served its purpose, but it's had its negatives, too.
I've heard guys who have taken them off because they had discolored a lot. There should be no problem taking it off as the cars paint has had plenty of time to cure. But if it is still in good condition, I would leave it alone.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not worth it. I took mine off a few months ago. Despite the clear-bra my front was still chipped here and there. Plus it was an eye-sore. Clear does not equal invisible. I would rather save the money and just have my car touched up/repainted when needed. Also don't discount a good paint protectant or wax.