I want to get one, but......

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get one, but......

Hey,

I have been looking at the Acura TL SH_AWD and drove one last week and starting to like it now.
I have one problem though. I have a 2008 Honda Accord with 4,700 miles on it.
The dealer (Acura) told me that they will give me $18K for it if I trade in. Thats almost a $13K hit for me and I don't think its fair or can be justified.
They also offered me a TL with the SH-AWD and Techno for $40K before tax and title and ....
Do you think if I ask for the TL to have a price of $39K and get $23.5K for my Honda that I can get a deal?
Please, if you think the dealer you got your car from can make this deal, just tell me the name of it and I will research it and contact them. I don't care if the dealer is in a different state.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
More details on accord

V6? Leather? Navi?

I got $25k for my 08 Type-S last week... with 33k on it... i would imagine if you're accord is FULLY loaded you could get like $20k

dont forget, when you trade a car in, you get a big tax break

$30k - ($20k Trade) = $10k

you only pay tax on the difference

when i trade in my 08 Type-S, I saved $2,000+ in Taxes, because i only have to pay tax on the difference between the two cars.... *NY State = 8.625%*
Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
More details on accord

V6? Leather? Navi?

I got $25k for my 08 Type-S last week... with 33k on it... i would imagine if you're accord is FULLY loaded you could get like $20k

when i trade in my 08 Type-S, I saved $2,000+ in Taxes, because i only have to pay tax on the difference between the two cars.... *NY State = 8.625%*
Yeah the Accord is fully loaded (Leather, navi, Bluetooth and even a Honda Remote Starter).
Well, I am hoping that whatever I pay for tax will be returned to me when I fillout my taxes at the end of the year. The president signed that deal in 2009.
I am still looking around for a dealer who can make the deal for me though.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Your Accord was probably around $30K so with just <5K miles even $7K is a big hit. While you geta tax break ona trade in you have to weigh the tax break vs. the price you get. For me last 2 cars the trade in was too low and selling on my own more than made up for the tax break, I cleared over $2K more than dealer was offering. You might want to try craigs list and auto trader. I sold some cars on each, Auto Trader being btter lately as craigs list is lfooded with ridiculous (as in stupid) sales making it hard to stick out with a legitimate deal.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
And why you trade in the Accord which only has < 5K miles and still fully under warranty?
Unless you have a good reason, if not try to keep it another one or two full years.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should NOT pay more than 38K for the SH-AWD with tech. some people actually paid 37K for it. shop around~ =D
Old 06-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fusiongt
you should NOT pay more than 38K for the SH-AWD with tech. some people actually paid 37K for it. shop around~ =D
Can you give me the dealer's name that sell them for $37K or $38K. The best I have found is $39K, but they want to give me $19K for my Accord which is $4K less than what I want.

I am trading the Accord because 1) I want something nicer/luxurious and sporty.
2) There are too many of them. None like mine (Fully loaded in Diamond White), but lots of I4 and they almost look a like.
3) The car is noisy on the highway. Wind noise, road noise just crazy.
4) Although the VCM engine in it saves gas (I got 34 mpg on the highway on my trip to Chicago), you feel the engine deactivating cylinders all the time. You feel the vibration and hear the sound when it does it.
5) Some silly things like fit and finish and exterior paint chipping off where the headlight and tail light is because there is no clearance for them.
6) I heard they got serious brake issues. Some people changing their brakes @ 7K miles and a lot of people have changed their brakes 3 times when their cars got less than 40K miles on it.
I got my reasons to trade it in......TRUST ME
I want to post it on Autotrader, but first I am still paying payments on it (Got $16K left on it) and I am afraid that I might not sell it and eat the posting charges for nothing.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Walhaddi
Can you give me the dealer's name that sell them for $37K or $38K. The best I have found is $39K, but they want to give me $19K for my Accord which is $4K less than what I want.

I am trading the Accord because 1) I want something nicer/luxurious and sporty.
2) There are too many of them. None like mine (Fully loaded in Diamond White), but lots of I4 and they almost look a like.
3) The car is noisy on the highway. Wind noise, road noise just crazy.
4) Although the VCM engine in it saves gas (I got 34 mpg on the highway on my trip to Chicago), you feel the engine deactivating cylinders all the time. You feel the vibration and hear the sound when it does it.
5) Some silly things like fit and finish and exterior paint chipping off where the headlight and tail light is because there is no clearance for them.
6) I heard they got serious brake issues. Some people changing their brakes @ 7K miles and a lot of people have changed their brakes 3 times when their cars got less than 40K miles on it.
I got my reasons to trade it in......TRUST ME
I want to post it on Autotrader, but first I am still paying payments on it (Got $16K left on it) and I am afraid that I might not sell it and eat the posting charges for nothing.
If you have an American Express card, you can go here and get a fixed price quote from a dealer in your vicinity, as well as info on what TLs in your area are going for.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Best case scenario you will get around $21k trade in for the Accord, and as others have said, dont pay more than $37-$38k for the SH. You wont find dealers giving you much better in either case without compromising the other, but this is feasible. If you need more for the Honda, seriously consider private sale, you wont necessarily have to pay it off before you get a buyer. Dealers always try to get away with just giving you what you owe, they usually ask so tell them you owe more, but try to get the price you want on the SH before negotiating in the trade.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:32 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can also go to overstock.com and look up dealers near you with garaunteed prices.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Instructor

More details on accord

V6? Leather? Navi?

Blackura, why in the world did you trade your 08 TL? It is one of the sickest TL's on this board. You should have kept it!!

Walhaddi, go to kbb.com and find out what your trade-in value is for the accord, print it and take it to the dealer and show them the value and they should match it. You can definately get a better price than $39K. I got mine last month and didn't even have to fight for $37,800. Right now YOU have the leverage as the 2010 TL's are coming out in 3-4 months.

Contact multiple dealers via e-mail, and have the dealer earn YOUR business and hard earned money. Remember you have to be in charge and control the situation not the other way around.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by danimal1968
If you have an American Express card, you can go here and get a fixed price quote from a dealer in your vicinity, as well as info on what TLs in your area are going for.
Wow, the Acura I want is for $37,622 only, but the problem is getting $23K for my Honda which is the hard part.
But for that site, do I have to pay the car off with the credit card?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Cruisin'

The two best quotes I got in Southern California for a SH-AWD TL Tech were from:

Misson Viejo Acura: $37,071
Temecula Acura: $36,600

I eventually got mine for $37,900 (Metro Acura) with splash guards and wheel locks thrown in the mix. I was in your situation were I needed a good trade in price. I got a very generous offer so I figure I did not want to quibble about the higher purchase price, especially since I was still ahead and under my final out the door price I had in my head.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by saryan
The two best quotes I got in Southern California for a SH-AWD TL Tech were from:

Misson Viejo Acura: $37,071
Temecula Acura: $36,600

I eventually got mine for $37,900 (Metro Acura) with splash guards and wheel locks thrown in the mix. I was in your situation were I needed a good trade in price. I got a very generous offer so I figure I did not want to quibble about the higher purchase price, especially since I was still ahead and under my final out the door price I had in my head.
Wow, $36,600 and you ended up getting it for $37,900? That's $1,300 more than the cheaper quote, but I am sure the trade in value they gave you was more than that.
I live in MI, so Southern Cali is too far from me. I do appreciate the info though.
I am still looking around for a deal. If I didn't have the Honda, this would have went so smooth. But I am learning from my mistakes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Wow, the Acura I want is for $37,622 only, but the problem is getting $23K for my Honda which is the hard part.
But for that site, do I have to pay the car off with the credit card?
No. It simply gives you the price that the dealer has to offer you. They are supposed to give you the option of putting your down payment on your AMEX if you want to get rewards points for it.

Personally, I took the price that I was able to get through that site (for a dealership in Indy) and took it to Acura of Columbus about a mile from my home and told them that if they could match it I'd really like to keep my business in town. They agreed, gave me a decent deal on my trade (it was a paid-for Saturn with over 100k miles so it wasn't worth a whole lot). The whole deal took less time than it took the delivery guy to explain the electronics.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah part of the problem is that the dealerships that honored the price would really low ball me on trade in. For example, the first dealer was offering almost 5K less on the trade in. You are correct in the great trade in deal I got. It more than compensated for the lowest cost, plus that lowest priced dealer only had one in stock, which was not the color I was looking for. You add the additional accessories thrown in and the 20% reduction of others, it was a pretty sweet deal.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
07TL-CBP

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To OP,
It is obvious that the 4G is YOUR car. However, to trade your barely one year old Accord with 5k mile and take a serious $$$ hit makes no financial sense - no insult intended. Have you considered selling private?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pokin
To OP,
It is obvious that the 4G is YOUR car. However, to trade your barely one year old Accord with 5k mile and take a serious $$$ hit makes no financial sense - no insult intended. Have you considered selling private?
You are right man, it makes no financial sense. WHat can I say, I made a mistake by acting too quick and getting the Accord. I wasn't even attracted to the TL when I saw it. Just when I sat in it I was.
I will put it on Autotrader and Kraiglist soon, but I am looking and there are a bunch of Accords with most (Not all) the options my car has going for $25K and even $24K too, so I know I won't sell it for $25K or above.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
If that is all you will be getting on private sale you might be better off just trading in if you can get blue book value which is around $21k - $22k, considering the trade in tax exemption, assuming you plan to buy and not lease. I am not sure if there will be any additional incentives for 09, being that the 2010 is around the corner and the current incentive ends the first week of July. Contact that dealer who gave you the price and in plain English tell them to give you $22k, or high ball them even more, for the Accord and you sign papers as soon as they can get them ready. If they don't give you what you want walk away, what you are asking for is not unreasonable. Or take their quote locally and tell them the other guys also offered you $22k for your trade and ask them what they can do for you, but you have no problem buying half way across the country if it comes down to it. If it doesn't work out try another.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 06-30-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
4700miles only? That's like brand new. I'm pretty sure you could get a little over 20k at least if you sell to a private party. Good luck sir.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I'd keep the Accord. The TL will be around for years, and subsequent generations will only continue to get better. You made a decision to buy the Accord, maybe in hindsight it was the wrong decision, but to trade it in (or sell it privately) now in order to get into a TL is really just another wrong decision and will hurt you financially.

If you ask me, the Accord is a pretty good car, and while the TL is probably a better car, there's ALWAYS a better car out there.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jwjang86
4700miles only? That's like brand new. I'm pretty sure you could get a little over 20k at least if you sell to a private party. Good luck sir.
I am planning on doing that tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I'd keep the Accord. The TL will be around for years, and subsequent generations will only continue to get better. You made a decision to buy the Accord, maybe in hindsight it was the wrong decision, but to trade it in (or sell it privately) now in order to get into a TL is really just another wrong decision and will hurt you financially.

If you ask me, the Accord is a pretty good car, and while the TL is probably a better car, there's ALWAYS a better car out there.

Damn, I read your comment and it just hit me hard. You are 100% right.
What you said is what I should do. The Accord is a pretty car. Has flaws, but not bad. I know I said some negative things about it, but I still can't call it a BAD car. The TL is just that attractive to me from the inside.
The right thing is to hold on to the Accord and bite the bullet for the next 4 years, but thats too long.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn, I read your comment and it just hit me hard. You are 100% right.
What you said is what I should do. The Accord is a pretty car. Has flaws, but not bad. I know I said some negative things about it, but I still can't call it a BAD car. The TL is just that attractive to me from the inside.
The right thing is to hold on to the Accord and bite the bullet for the next 4 years, but thats too long.
You know that in your mind that keeping the Accord maybe the "right" thing to do......but everytime you pass by a 4G TL, your heart will ache for it (and you will find yourself hating the Accord more and more) .........bottom line, do what makes you happy. ..........life is short.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I have car ADD

silly question...but...

Coupe or Sedan?

Accord coupe .... KEEP IT, i love that car

the sedan, i dont like it.. but ironic thing, its the same as the 4G TL, and most people dont like that.. i think the 08 Accord Sedan needs to grow on you, just like the 4G TL
Old 07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Nothing says you have to keep it for the next 4 years. But it might be smart to wait another year or two so you have more equity in the car and won't end up upside down.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Intermediate

silly question...but...

Coupe or Sedan?

Accord coupe .... KEEP IT, i love that car

the sedan, i dont like it.. but ironic thing, its the same as the 4G TL, and most people dont like that.. i think the 08 Accord Sedan needs to grow on you, just like the 4G TL
Sedan and I don't think its an ugly car. I think its very nice, but the inside of the TL is just way better.
Right now, I am thinking about keeping the Accord just because I don't want to lose money and pay more money every month. But I am sure tomorrow I will want to get rid of it.
Like the other guy said "Keeping it is the right thing to do."
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sphyrna
Nothing says you have to keep it for the next 4 years. But it might be smart to wait another year or two so you have more equity in the car and won't end up upside down.
Yeah, but when you think about it the longer I keep it the less I will get for it.
Anyways, right now I am planning on keeping it just because of $$$. But I won't be suprised if I decide to get rid of it tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I have car ADD

A car takes its biggest financial dip once its owned....

the variance from 2008 w/ say...10k miles, wont be much different then its value with it has 20k miles.... most of the value is gone once the title shows that it was purchased/registered
Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Pro

A car takes its biggest financial dip once its owned....

the variance from 2008 w/ say...10k miles, wont be much different then its value with it has 20k miles.... most of the value is gone once the title shows that it was purchased/registered
Agreed. Cars depreciate at a decreasing rate with age. For example, a car will lose more value between year one and year two than between year two and year three, or year three and year four, etc. The soundest financial decision is to buy and keep a car for something like five, six, seven years or more.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JD23
Agreed. Cars depreciate at a decreasing rate with age. For example, a car will lose more value between year one and year two than between year two and year three, or year three and year four, etc. The soundest financial decision is to buy and keep a car for something like five, six, seven years or more.
You are 100% right, but think about it for a second......The car will keep losing its value more and more, but at a smaller ratio. So, if you are planning on getting rid of a car then the sooner the better. It just depends what your plans are. If you are planning on getting rid of a car to get another and keeping that for a long time, then it makes more sense to get rid of what you have first and quick.
If you want to keep rotating cars every year, then that won't be a smart thing because you will keep losing $$$.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I have car ADD

Hey man, im with you on this... i just got 25k for a 2008-S, that i paid $38k for in July 07 (didnt get a deal, b/c i took the first 08 delivered)

I had 33k on it, and i feel like i made out pretty well.. considering how much more the car is going to decrease, now that the 4G TL came out, and my miles starting soaring.... my type-s was mint though....

with 5k.. i think its premature.. wait til you have like 18-20k on it, hopefully in about a year, then you'll still probably get like 18k for it, and you will have used it for 12 more months
Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Why don't you look for a used TL, granted there may not be too many around, at least you won't take that new car depreciation hit twice. And you could probably find something to even out your negative equity a little bit.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I have car ADD

^ touche... good point
Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Hey man, im with you on this... i just got 25k for a 2008-S, that i paid $38k for in July 07 (didnt get a deal, b/c i took the first 08 delivered)

I had 33k on it, and i feel like i made out pretty well.. considering how much more the car is going to decrease, now that the 4G TL came out, and my miles starting soaring.... my type-s was mint though....

with 5k.. i think its premature.. wait til you have like 18-20k on it, hopefully in about a year, then you'll still probably get like 18k for it, and you will have used it for 12 more months
Ok, may be this will make you change your mind and the advice you gave me.
I have had the car for 13 months now and I only got 4,650 miles on it. I am pretty sure this coming up year I will put more miles on it. I say this because when I got it I was traveling a lot and stayed and worked in another state.
But yeah, I have had it since Late May 2008. I usually put around 8K-9K miles a year on a car. So, in order to put on my Accord 18K....I will have to keep it for almost 2 more years. I will be done with the payments then too
Like I said, may be thats what I will end up doing. I really wants to do what's right and keeping it sounds like the right thing to do. I am just in love with the TL's interior like I was in love with the Accord when I got it.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FiftyFive
Why don't you look for a used TL, granted there may not be too many around, at least you won't take that new car depreciation hit twice. And you could probably find something to even out your negative equity a little bit.
You right, but I don't see too many 09 TL with the SH-AWD around and when I do see them they are only $2K cheaper than a new one. I will look though.....THANX
Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I have car ADD

Ok, may be this will make you change your mind and the advice you gave me.
I have had the car for 13 months now and I only got 4,650 miles on it. I am pretty sure this coming up year I will put more miles on it. I say this because when I got it I was traveling a lot and stayed and worked in another state.
But yeah, I have had it since Late May 2008. I usually put around 8K-9K miles a year on a car. So, in order to put on my Accord 18K....I will have to keep it for almost 2 more years. I will be done with the payments then too
Like I said, may be thats what I will end up doing. I really wants to do what's right and keeping it sounds like the right thing to do. I am just in love with the TL's interior like I was in love with the Accord when I got it.

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....
Old 07-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Intermediate

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

I bet it is and especially when you are in that TL
Old 07-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
No matter how you slice it, or dice it, selling or trading, financially it's going to be a bad decision.

That Accord is a very nice car. Yeah, there are some differences by going to the TL. But, is it worth the $$$$ hit you're going to take?

4 years is too long to keep the Accord? I don't get that part.

It's your money. Do what you wish with it.

I used to own a TL. Good car. I now have a 1+ year old Accord with Nav and all the trimmings (4 cyl).

If I wanted, I could buy a brand new V6 Accord for ~$28K. So, given that your car is used, it's generally thought that when you drove it off the dealer's lot, you take a 25% hit on what it's worth. That's ~5K right off the top. So, you're at $23K before you put mile #1 on it.

No dealer will do a trade unless they can make $1,000, at least by reselling it. Add in some negotiation room for them, and I'd say trade-in would be right around $20K-21K for your car after they shine it up a little bit to put it on the lot.

$18K is probably the number they'd get at auction for it.

The key, as always, is to get a dealer who'll take skinny money on the new car (which is what TLs are selling for now), and maxing the $$ they'll give you on a trade.

Hard to sell a used Accord for $23K-$25K, when you can buy a brand new one for $28K.

What's your payoff on the Accord?
Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,996 Likes on 14,504 Posts
Wow...that amex thing is amazing..they gave me a price guarantee of 37K on a tech AWD one.

Quick Reply: I want to get one, but......