I need to make a decision...Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to make a decision...Please help!

Hey everyone!!!

I'm going to jump right in: giving as many details as possible but trying not to write a whole thesis.

So, I'm looking for my second car. My first love, 98 Oldsmobile Intrigue, has been with me since college but most of my lights are on in the dash and it doesn't make sense to pay so much for the repairs. He still runs well and I'm attached so I am not willingly moving on.

My next car has to match Grandpa exactly (V6, leather seats, sunroof, reliability, safety, etc.) so I feel comfortable with a 2010 - 2014 TL.

But with the current recall, the stop-sale at official dealerships and new bags not currently available until later this year.... I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Lease vs Buy: I am not interested in changing my car every 3 years and I for damn sure don't like the new TLX. At the Acura dealership, I was told that since I don't have a mortgage and have never leased before, my APR through an Acura lender (Chase, Bank of America) will be SKY HIGH as well as my insurance. But with financing, I have already been pre-approved through my credit union with a low APR. HELP!!!!

I just hate when I have my mind made up and then I have to go back to the drawing board.

1. Lease or buy? (Real people/experiences rather than Googled articles)
2. Buy the TL from an independent dealer and wait for servicing? OR
3. Forget the TL and go for something else. If so, WHAT?!

I am asking for you all's honest opinions. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
welcome to adulthood.
The following 3 users liked this post by justnspace:
Chareb8 (04-19-2016), Mr Marco (04-23-2016), ressling (05-03-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Well if you lease from Acura, the only Acura you will be leasing is a TLX since you want something with V6. IMO TLX is decent, but I don't think I would lease or finance one.

Also, you said you don't want to lease, so why jump and do it. You also don't have to get a new car every three years. You have the option to buy out after the lease, or take it to CarMax see what they offer you and sale it.

I think the dealer is bullshitting you. Having a lease before or not having one does not make your APR sky high, also not having a mortgage doesn't either. Shit, you should have a lower DTI. You mentioned Chase and Bank of America, if you lease you will be going directly through Acura financial.

I mean you can always go for an Accord EX-L V6...... Or Accord Sport manual. (although not V6, but who cares because manual.)

Last edited by Flipster23; 04-19-2016 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chareb8 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Buy from an individual or a non-Acura dealership. Or go with an Accord V6.
Chareb8 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 AM
10th Gear

*gags*

The Accord EX-L was my very first choice before the TL but everyone and their grandmother has it. I'm in NYC and even the cab drivers are using it...i'll try** to reconsider it.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Flipster23

Also, you said you don't want to lease, so why jump and do it. You also don't have to get a new car every three years. You have the option to buy out after the lease, or take it to CarMax see what they offer you and sale it.

I think the dealer is bullshitting you. Having a lease before or not having one does not make your APR sky high, also not having a mortgage doesn't either. Shit, you should have a lower DTI. You mentioned Chase and Bank of America, if you lease you will be going directly through Acura financial.
Even after test driving the TLX, it was just blah. If they was leasing a TL, I would sign and buy it after. Mmmhmmm Bullshitting you say! I know that I have excellent credit and he told me 6+% APR from the bank. Good thing I came in here to ask! Thank you.

Originally Posted by a35tl
Buy from an individual or a non-Acura dealership. Or go with an Accord V6.
I'm definitely leaning more towards the non-Acura dealership > Accord. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Team Owner

Now when he told you that, was he saying for financing? Because with a lease, I cannot see that.....
Old 04-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Buy a used TL from private party.

Go to a credit union and get your financing there.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

If you wanted a 3G TL I know someone who is selling one for a good ass deal. Car is documented to the tee on this forum.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Now when he told you that, was he saying for financing? Because with a lease, I cannot see that.....
No, he was saying it in regards to leasing the 2016 TLX.

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Buy a used TL from private party.

Go to a credit union and get your financing there.
Yes. So do you think that the TL is worth the wait for the new airbag?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
are you going after AWD? If not, I wouldn't waste your time with a 4th gen TL. My mom had a 99' intrigue she drove into the ground. Was a great car. Are you trying to stick to Japanese brands? If I was shopping the Japanese market for a new car in the TL's class I'd take the Infiniti first and Lexus second over Acura. The TLX is a fail in my eyes. You can pick up Infiniti's cheap with low miles. They're faster than a TL, but don't have a comparable interior imo. The Lexus IS 350 is quick, decent interior, but smaller than a TL. The ES series is a very comfortable ride with a smooth V6, but not a performance car. Sounds like you need to do some shopping around and check out the competition. Accords are great cars but as you said, everyone has one
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
are you going after AWD? If not, I wouldn't waste your time with a 4th gen TL. My mom had a 99' intrigue she drove into the ground. Was a great car. Are you trying to stick to Japanese brands? If I was shopping the Japanese market for a new car in the TL's class I'd take the Infiniti first and Lexus second over Acura. The TLX is a fail in my eyes. You can pick up Infiniti's cheap with low miles. They're faster than a TL, but don't have a comparable interior imo. The Lexus IS 350 is quick, decent interior, but smaller than a TL. The ES series is a very comfortable ride with a smooth V6, but not a performance car. Sounds like you need to do some shopping around and check out the competition. Accords are great cars but as you said, everyone has one
Damn, I honestly wasn't considering AWD. 😦. I only know how bad I need AWD when I'm trying to back out of a snow covered driveway. Other than that, it's not a necessity for me. I guess I have to be open to anything at this point. Someone even suggested a Mazda. I will take your advice and look into the cars that you have listed. Thank you.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Chareb8
Yes. So do you think that the TL is worth the wait for the new airbag?
It depends on what you are looking for. And your budget.
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
How about the Maxima? No AWD option though.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ggesq
How about the Maxima? No AWD option though.
The only thing that I really like about Maxima's is their purple-like color. But I will add it to my list. Thank you.

Isn't their cost to repair expensive?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

The only thing that I really like about Maxima's is their purple-like color. But I will add it to my list. Thank you.

Isn't their cost to repair expensive?

Nope.

If you don't need the room I say Lexus IS-3fiddy.
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by flipster23
nope.

If you don't need the room i say lexus is-3fiddy.
+1
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 01:11 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find a nice used one. I'm listing my '14 TL SH-AWD 6-spped soon with only 27k miles, Graphite Luster Metallic/Black. Car is mint.
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-23-2016, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by PKROCKT
Find a nice used one. I'm listing my '14 TL SH-AWD 6-spped soon with only 27k miles, Graphite Luster Metallic/Black. Car is mint.
In NY? For how much? and why are you selling it?

You all are so very helpful and I appreciate all responses and suggestions

I just drove a Mazda 6 Grand Touring today guys. After a V6 Accord. Not going to lie, I am impressed. But it's a 2.5
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
In NY? For how much? and why are you selling it?

You all are so very helpful and I appreciate all responses and suggestions

I just drove a Mazda 6 Grand Touring today guys. After a V6 Accord. Not going to lie, I am impressed. But it's a 2.5
The Mazda 6 is a sexy looking car, just underpowered. If Mazda offered a V6 with some decent power in the Mazda 6, they'd sell a lot better. The car looks too good to only offer a modest 4 cylinder engine.
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm having trouble figure out what you want out of car. I drove an 81 Deville, a 94, Deville, a 99 Seville STS and my Dad had a couple of late 90's Bonneville's. I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD now.

What's most important to you? cushy luxury? Nice quiet ride? Something that doesn't break down? Total cost of ownership? Having a "bigger" car?

I love my TL, especially for the manual transmission, but if you are coming straight from an Intrigue, you will immediately notice a much more firm, sporty ride (To the point where some people don't like it). Poor gas mileage (comparatively), and a much higher cost of ownership.

Even though it has a 4cyl, if you went out and bought an Accord Sport, you'd have a faster car (than your intrigue) that can push upper 30's in MPG, looks decent, and IMO 'gets all the little things right.' My GM products always had things break like window motors, interior buttons, cup holders, etc. I had a Civic for 5 years before this car and while it certainly wasn't exciting, i had the lowest cost of ownership i've ever had and the only thing that i had to "fix" in 125k miles of driving were the plastic wheel covers that flaked paint.

You sound like like you might want to go test drive an ES350. Not as "Edgy" as TL, but more comfortable, better MPG, probably fewer problems in the long run. My sister had a 2010 and i think she had 220k on it when she sold it. I always liked driving it - very well put together.

man... i miss my 81 Deville.
Chareb8 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jensenajj
I'm having trouble figure out what you want out of car.

What's most important to you? cushy luxury? Nice quiet ride? Something that doesn't break down? Total cost of ownership? Having a "bigger" car?

I love my TL, especially for the manual transmission, but if you are coming straight from an Intrigue, you will immediately notice a much more firm, sporty ride (To the point where some people don't like it). Poor gas mileage (comparatively), and a much higher cost of ownership.

man... i miss my 81 Deville.
Sorry about your Deville.

I have never really considered a Lexus aside from the suggestions that I have received here. This could possibly be because my ex had one (can't remember the year or model) and there was always a problem with it.

I have been driving my Intrigue for 5 years but most recently I have been borrowing my Dad's 745i. (Approx 1 year)

Here's what I'm looking for. Please excuse my pickiness.

Of course GREAT ratings, reliability, safety, good on gas, mid-sized sedan, NO American, leather seats, v6, quiet ride, won't go broke paying for repairs, great sound system, not TOO popular, visually attractive both inside and out, great headroom and legroom because I'm tall, will last me for 10+ years and be worth it.

Now the Mazda 6 was cute but no v6 and leatherette seats in the Touring.

Accord was my top choice. I just hate the 2 screens. If you want to get drunk fast in NYC, take a shot every time you see an Accord. That's why I ruled it out.

Not into Toyota. My friend had one.

BMW 5 series. I've already been driving the 7 and I like everything about it, I just fear someone hitting it and causing me to have a heart attack.

TSX is cute but for tiny people. Don't really like the TLX for some reason.

What else?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry about your Deville.

I have never really considered a Lexus aside from the suggestions that I have received here. This could possibly be because my ex had one (can't remember the year or model) and there was always a problem with it.

I have been driving my Intrigue for 5 years but most recently I have been borrowing my Dad's 745i. (Approx 1 year)

Here's what I'm looking for. Please excuse my pickiness.

Of course GREAT ratings, reliability, safety, good on gas, mid-sized sedan, NO American, leather seats, v6, quiet ride, won't go broke paying for repairs, great sound system, not TOO popular, visually attractive both inside and out, great headroom and legroom because I'm tall, will last me for 10+ years and be worth it.

Now the Mazda 6 was cute but no v6 and leatherette seats in the Touring.

Accord was my top choice. I just hate the 2 screens. If you want to get drunk fast in NYC, take a shot every time you see an Accord. That's why I ruled it out.

Not into Toyota. My friend had one.

BMW 5 series. I've already been driving the 7 and I like everything about it, I just fear someone hitting it and causing me to have a heart attack.

TSX is cute but for tiny people. Don't really like the TLX for some reason.

What else?
If you want reliability for 10 years cross the Germans off your list. I think you've backed yourself into a corner. If honda, mazda and Toyota are out, you're left with nissan/infiniti and subaru. There's hyundai/Kia but given those are everywhere you're probably out.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:31 AM
10th Gear

If you want reliability for 10 years cross the Germans off your list. I think you've backed yourself into a corner. If honda, mazda and Toyota are out, you're left with nissan/infiniti and subaru. There's hyundai/Kia but given those are everywhere you're probably out.

I'm going to have to reevaluate my pickiness and stop being stubborn. You're right, I have unintentionally crossed out my options.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Intermediate

Based on a couple of your replies, I'd say by the FWD TL. The 3.5 liter has better reliability and MPG than the 3.7.

I also just realized your '99 Intrigue had the 3.5 liter "Shortstar" - That's pretty cool. I had the 4.6 Northstar in my 99 STS and loved that engine.

If you don't like the TLX I get it, but the gas mileage is significantly better than when comparing V6 to the 4G V6. That's my biggest complaint about my 4G (3.7 with 6mt). I top out at 26mpg when driving like an old man all highway. The TLX guys are reporting 35+ on all highway road trips for the FWD V6. Even better with the 4cyl.

I would definitely test drive a Maxima, it seems to hit all your high points. If nothing else, it will confirm you don't like it as much as a TL. The one guy I know who has a '15 Maxima absolutely loves it.

Haven't driven one, and it always seems bland to me, but there are a lot of former TL drivers who switched to a Lexus GS and I've never heard any regrets. They are definitely more expensive...
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm going to have to reevaluate my pickiness and stop being stubborn. You're right, I have unintentionally crossed out my options.
Well, you should absolutely continue to be picky. You said you want this vehicle to be around 10 years so best to get exactly what you want. Unless you mentioned it earlier and I missed it, do you have a $$ amount in mind?

I completely understand the anti-American car debate, however you owe it to yourself to give them a look. The big 3 have finally figured out they need to up their game to remain competitive, and the ongoing recalls are forcing them to step up. I think if you checked out some of the latest offerings you'd be impressed. I find the interior tech in most American offerings superior to the Japanese. Bear in mind Toyota/Lexus maintain their status of uber reliability in great part by not changing much on the cars over the long term which equates to better ratings because previous owners don't have to relearn where all the buttons are.

As we learn more about your expectations for a car, we should be able to make better recommendations. I will tell you I recently spent a long time in a fully loaded Buick Regal - honestly that is one heck of a nice car, especially given the price point. The commercials are spot on, Buick has completely changed, and for the better. Also, the Cadillac ATS is a beautiful ride and worth a look. Again, if we knew your price point we could probably dial in some options that would work for you.

I like many on this site love cars and love to give advice (maybe not the best all the time) even more!!
justnspace (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Well, you should absolutely continue to be picky. You said you want this vehicle to be around 10 years so best to get exactly what you want. Unless you mentioned it earlier and I missed it, do you have a $$ amount in mind?

I completely understand the anti-American car debate, however you owe it to yourself to give them a look. The big 3 have finally figured out they need to up their game to remain competitive, and the ongoing recalls are forcing them to step up. I think if you checked out some of the latest offerings you'd be impressed. I find the interior tech in most American offerings superior to the Japanese. Bear in mind Toyota/Lexus maintain their status of uber reliability in great part by not changing much on the cars over the long term which equates to better ratings because previous owners don't have to relearn where all the buttons are.

As we learn more about your expectations for a car, we should be able to make better recommendations. I will tell you I recently spent a long time in a fully loaded Buick Regal - honestly that is one heck of a nice car, especially given the price point. The commercials are spot on, Buick has completely changed, and for the better. Also, the Cadillac ATS is a beautiful ride and worth a look. Again, if we knew your price point we could probably dial in some options that would work for you.

I like many on this site love cars and love to give advice (maybe not the best all the time) even more!!
How do you feel after going from a '12 TL SH-AWD to the R/T? Just curious...
Old 05-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. Prior to grabbing my TL, I took a 4 day test drive in an R/T. Thing was fast and powerful, but felt too wide for my tastes. Sometimes felt like I should have a pilot vehicle. One of my routes home crosses a bridge with relatively narrow lanes, and while I figured I could get used to the wide feeling of the R/T, I didn't want to bother.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Did you guise know that the TL has a hemi!???
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

I feel great! Not a day has gone by that I miss the TL. The only thing it did better than the charger was curves.

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I'm curious about this as well. Prior to grabbing my TL, I took a 4 day test drive in an R/T. Thing was fast and powerful, but felt too wide for my tastes. Sometimes felt like I should have a pilot vehicle. One of my routes home crosses a bridge with relatively narrow lanes, and while I figured I could get used to the wide feeling of the R/T, I didn't want to bother.
No doubt its a bigger car, but I also drive a silverado

Originally Posted by justnspace
Did you guise know that the TL has a hemi!???