I need a 101 with the paddle shift!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a 101 with the paddle shift!

just got the 2012 TL , but i have no idea how to use the paddle shifters. here are some questions.

when to shift?
when stopping, does it automatically down shift?
can i shift when pressing on the break?
highway driving?
etc. thanks !
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 AM
07 NBP 5A/T UA6 NAVI

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
1 your gonna want to shift before you redline
2 no
3 you could
4 what about highway driving?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:31 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Don't worry. You can find the answers by trying them out on the car.

The paddle shifter is computer controlled, and won't let you do anything bad that will damage the tranny. If you are not in the correct range of vehicle speed for a particular gear, the tranny just won't shift up/down at all even if you keep paddling.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,202 Likes on 689 Posts
If the transmission is anything like the 3Gs, it should automatically shift back down to first if you come to a complete stop in any other gear.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Eh-um,

-Rev limiter prevents driving the car from having an engine meltdown, if you fail to shift at redline the engine will retard the timing/throttle and the car will stAGgER along.
-If you are in "D" and choose to shift up or down the transmission will return to the highest gear possible for your speed once your speed has stabilized.
-If you are in "S", the car will downshift, but once you start shifting manually you must continue to do so.
-The tranny will not let you select a gear that is below the engines Rev capabilities, so it's pretty hard to mess it up.
-The ECU (engine's computer) automatically matches the engine speed (RPM's) to the gear selected so it is not necessary to press down or release the accelerator pedal when shifting down or up.

People have said that this is a quick system. However, I have found that these Honda transmissions are already excellent at picking the right gear. I rarely use the paddle shifters. If I want more speed I simply put it in "S" and mash my foot to the floor.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,472 Likes on 929 Posts
When I had a '12 TL as a loaner I gave the paddle shifters a try. Fun for a bit, but I think I may like the manumatic shift lever versions more.

One thing I did not like was that it shifted from 1st to 2nd automatically once I left off the gas a bit in 1st (S mode).

Anyways, some good advice has been said here. The computer is intelligent and will make sure you don't harm anything.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Don't worry. You can find the answers by trying them out on the car.

The paddle shifter is computer controlled, and won't let you do anything bad that will damage the tranny. If you are not in the correct range of vehicle speed for a particular gear, the tranny just won't shift up/down at all even if you keep paddling.

right on the money!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Eh-um,

-Rev limiter prevents driving the car from having an engine meltdown, if you fail to shift at redline the engine will retard the timing/throttle and the car will stAGgER along.
-If you are in "D" and choose to shift up or down the transmission will return to the highest gear possible for your speed once your speed has stabilized.
-If you are in "S", the car will downshift, but once you start shifting manually you must continue to do so.
-The tranny will not let you select a gear that is below the engines Rev capabilities, so it's pretty hard to mess it up.
-The ECU (engine's computer) automatically matches the engine speed (RPM's) to the gear selected so it is not necessary to press down or release the accelerator pedal when shifting down or up.

People have said that this is a quick system. However, I have found that these Honda transmissions are already excellent at picking the right gear. I rarely use the paddle shifters. If I want more speed I simply put it in "S" and mash my foot to the floor.

Are you putting it in "S" rather than using the paddle shifter because you want to stay in the lower gear longer? Otherwise, the paddle shifter is easier than shifting to "S".
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found mine useful for merging or passing. Either hit the paddle to downshift one gear, or switch it to S and hit the paddle again to drop 2 gears and really pick up some speed. My previous car was a 6 speed manual so I am actually enjoying the ease of the auto for now.