I Love My TL Tech SH-AWD But.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I Love My TL Tech SH-AWD But.....

I have had my 2009 TL Tech SH-AWD (PMM/Ebony) since June and I absolutely love everything about this car. However, I am a long time BMW owner, and was seriously considering a 2009 BMW 535i. Every time I see one of them, I just get this kind of small feeling, not of regret, but that I really wanted that car too. So I just say to myself.....an extra $15k, cheezy cupholders, confusing idrive,high pressure fuel pump problems....an extra $15k, cheezy cupholders, confusing idrive, high pressure fuel pump problems.... and then the feeling goes away, I hop in my TL and drive away with a big smile on my face.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
One more thing, KC: R E L I A B I L I T Y!

Once you buy a Bimmer, you have to buy 2, lol: One to drive, and the second one to drive when the first one is in the shop!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exactly! think about the money you saved!! Even though I wasn't looking at bimmers, whenever I drive my TL, thinking about the bang for the buck I got puts a smile on my face
Old 11-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It's in an actuality $62k with a $19k difference on MSRP alone for 535xi if you equip it with everything that your TL has. Naturally the 5 will have a few more features like adaptive lighting, rain sensing wipers, 4 way power lumbar, power tilt and telescoping wheel and free maintenance, and 6AT where it applies, but that is it. If you want the other stuff also not available in the TL, keep checking boxes and bring a bigger check.

I am not trying to take anything away from the 5, I have spend a great deal of time in and behind the wheel of one, equipped just as I described and it is an exceptional vehicle but it is just too pricey and goes to show you how much of a value the TL is.

Not only is it way less expensive, the resale is typically phenomenal on all Acuras and in the long term that makes the car even cheaper than sales or sticker price difference as you will get a much stronger return on the dollar. More importantly, the TL is a brand new design and will be around at least for a little with no changes, the 5 has a new model generation coming out in less than a year.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Keepin'it Real

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kc1953
I have had my 2009 TL Tech SH-AWD (PMM/Ebony) since June and I absolutely love everything about this car. However, I am a long time BMW owner, and was seriously considering a 2009 BMW 535i. Every time I see one of them, I just get this kind of small feeling, not of regret, but that I really wanted that car too. So I just say to myself.....an extra $15k, cheezy cupholders, confusing idrive,high pressure fuel pump problems....an extra $15k, cheezy cupholders, confusing idrive, high pressure fuel pump problems.... and then the feeling goes away, I hop in my TL and drive away with a big smile on my face.
I just got out of my 2007 750Li and got into my TL Base with Tech. I smile everytime I see BMW's, specially 7 Series. It reminds me how much more money I have in my Savings Account not having to pay for that note tires.

At this point, a car is a car.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Pz_
Instructor

I don't mean to invade the gen4 thread but I was in exactly the same boat. I cross shopped a lot of 5 series as well but had to go with a TL instead for same reasons you listed. Funny thing is, the guy across the street from me just got a 5, maybe a couple weeks after I got the Acura. I got a little jealous, went over told him nice ride...blah blah blah. Told him I thought about buying one but the repairs scared me off. He kinda turned a little pompous and scoffed at the thought that his BMW was less reliable than my "jap trap". I just blew it off and complimented him one more time then was on my way. Not two weeks later, he had a 3 series in his driveway with a big ole "preferred customer loaner car" sticker in the back window.

Heh...

Last edited by Pz_; 11-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW=Bring My Wallet

But in BMW's defense, as they say, you get what you pay for. The electronics may not be reliable but the build quality and engine durability is first class and doesn't take a second seat to any other vehicles. Open a door of a BMW and not only does it feel heavy but once you are in and hear the thud of the door it really assures you that you are secure. The interior materials are also top notch and feel high quality on the touch too. Now only if they could do something about that FLAT dash board. It makes the interior look dated but definitely not cheap though. JMO.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
KC, I too owned a 535i. I really liked the car, but it nickeled and dimed me to death on repairs. Love Acuras-won't own another BMW.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
KC, I too owned a 535i. I really liked the car, but it nickeled and dimed me to death on repairs. Love Acuras-won't own another BMW.
I seriously considered the 335xi and A4. Almost got the A4 2.0T manual, almost... Until I test drove the 2010 TL 6MT. IMHO, the performance of the TL and 335xi are very comparable (both exceed that of the A4).

But the reliability of Acuras is what sold me. Had a 1G TSX; no problems whatsoever. I have many friends who own the 3/5 series. They're awed by it at first, but in the end, most become very pissed off German owners who defer to the Japanese.

Say what you want about the TL's exterior (which I personally find sleek and bold), but you cannot beat the TL's performance, superb manual transmission, AWD traction, well designed and roomy interior, value, and excellent reliability. BMW, Audi, and even the lowered priced Subaru's can't touch the TL. IMHO.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Before I got my AWD Base two months ago I had a '97 Maxima SE with 270k miles and I figured that it was time for a new car since my new job takes me fairly far from home. I was considering another SE but my wife wanted luxury (hey, who's car is it anyway??? ).

My first car was an Integra and this is only my third car and I'm closing in on 50. Hey, I drive my cars to the ground! The Integra gave me zero problems.

So I gave my brother out in California a call since he has an M3 and I was looking at some off lease 5 series. I asked him what his experience was with BMW. He said that if I wanted reliability then go with the Acura. He said that he has so many things replaced in the car that he was glad that he purchased the extended maintenance contract at a few thousand! He said that was "normal" for BMW. Although he has never test driven a TL AWD, from the specs he said it should be a pretty sport ride.

He even joked that BMW owners call all these frequent visits to the dealer for service as not repairs but "maintenance". He even has his service advisor programmed into this phone!

Last edited by Kingmeow; 11-08-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced

I was looking at 1 to 2 year old 335 convertibles with the 6speed. I thought my heart was set on it until i got into one. I am a big guy 6'2 235 there is no way i can fit in that car along with 2 kids(sometimes). The next best thing with the 6speed I looked at was the TL since I was already driving an 07 Type -s 6mt. I was dead set on the bimmer until i found out the TL came in 6speed along with the AWD my jaw completely dropped. A 2 year old 335c was running between 40k-45k depending on mileage. Of course I was worried about the extended warranty as that was a must have. In the end I am happy and have no regrets.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

Actually, the new iDrive is remarkably good...infact, it's excellent...just tested it out on my Dad's Z4...

But, at the end of the day, a 335xi equipped with all the bells and whistles will cost 50K...it comes down to how comfortable one is spending that extra money...and how comfortable will one be spending money for servicing once the warranty runs out...

Regardless...nothing drives like a BMW...that 3.0L biturbo is a gem...and there is no freakin way it ONLY makes 300hp...BMW blatantly lies...
Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think most of us were on the same boat. In the end, we're satisfied with what we got and that's all that matters.

Even though I think the current 5series is stunning, the car is nearing the end of its life cycle and therefore feels dated to me.
Now in a few years when you've had fun with your TL and the new 5series comes out, that may be the time to switch boats.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I agree BMW's are problem but I had my XM reciever replaced two months into ownership not good for an Acura.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, when I chose to spend my money on an Acura, knowing that it is a Honda, and we all know the reliability is second to none, that became the deciding factor. I tried so hard to lean in the direction of a 5 series, always have thought they are so sharp and classy, but at the end of the day....the reliablity factor was decisive. My neighbor has a 330, 2002 model and the amount of money that goes into the problematic issues that he is/has delt with is just too much money for me- I believe when I move on from this Acura, my next stop with be the Lexus GS series.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW's are great to lease but not to own both short term or long term. The cost of ownership(note, insurance, excise tax, maintenance after warranty)adds up fast. But then again if you are looking to have a lower cost of ownership we might be at a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla forum now and not driving a TL.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kc1953
I only have a TSX but I get that feeling when I see the G37x sedans on the road...then i have to remind myself that my car was like $10k cheaper, has better gas mileage, better quality interior, more reliable and better resale value lol no ones ever satisfied with what they have...