I got a 09 TL loaner today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I got a 09 TL loaner today!

I took my 04 TSX to the local dealership for the 60K service today. To my pleasant surprise, they had a 09 TL loaner for me! I did ask for the SH-AWD loaner but unfortunately they did not have it. Anyway, I got the base 09 TL without tech package in silver. I must say that the silver color is really the best color for the new TL! I saw a number of colors at the dealership today - apart from the silver, PMM, DWP and Grigio are definitely my favorite colors for the new TL.

Anyway, how did it compare to my 04 TSX? Well, the first thing that I noticed was that the visibility (esp. the rear window) was much less than the TSX, but it was not really a problem. The interior was beautiful - I was impressed by how comfortable the driver's seat was, and I also like how well-positioned the headrest was (unlike the 04 TSX that had its driver's headrest way back, so it really did not support the head much at all). The dashboard design was modern and sleek. Initially, the many buttons in the center console was overwhelming. However, after a few minutes, I got used to it quickly and it was not a problem at all.

When I drove the 09 TL, it clearly was much smoother than the 04 TSX. However, the power increase was not as noticeable as I had expected. The ride was firm but not harsh, and I loved the responsive brakes! As for the steering, I thought that the electronic steering was going to be too light, but it was actually not bad at all. I felt that the RDX had very numb electronic steering but this was not bad at all.

One thing that did NOT impress me too much was the audio system. It had good clarity, but then somehow, just like many "premium" audio systems that I have heard, the sound was kind of lacking mid-range frequencies and a bit too "cold". In fact, I liked the supposedly lower grade sound system in my 04 TSX - it just sounded so much more "organic" and warmer with my TSX's stock audio system! I would LOVE to try out the ELS system in the Tech version though - is it really that much better than the regular 09 TL audio system? How does it compare to the BMW Logic 7 system, and the B&O system of the Audi? OR even just the Audi Symphony system?

Overall, I was well-impressed by the 09 TL. I need to test drive the SH-AWD version at some point to make a good comparision between the FWD and SH-AWD model. Now, the 09 TL is certainly on my shopping list!

P.S. Right after I left the dealership this afternoon, I saw a Brilliant Red Audi A4 - this car was simply BEAUTIFUL! I got to try it some time too, to see how it compares to the 09 TL!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
i was at the philly auto show a couple weeks back, headed to the audi section and saw the TTS all i can say is awesome. cant wait till my kids start high school so they can ride the bus than i can trade in my 4 seater for a 2 seater lol.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clarify Ostrich, the tech package has about 164 watts of more gusto with two additional speakers, so next time ask for the Tech package TL! It's funny how people hear and feel music differently from one ear to the next. Cold is an odd term used to describe audio especially when you say the mid-range was lacking? The term warm GENERALLY consists of dropping the mid-range, leaving the bass and treble dominant. I feel the ELS in the TL way too harsh around 2.5khz, and I wish there was an attenuation for the mid frequencies, but I'm a audio nut so there you go. There is no benchmark for good audio sound, it's all subjective, I'm just glad you had a chance to check out the new TL.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Yes, bmode, it's totally subjective how one perceives the audio to be! I am not an audio nut, and I don't know any of these technical terms, but I am a trained classical musician, so all I know is what I like when I hear it!!! LOL! I listened to my friend's Mark Levinson in her GS450 before, and I was totally unimpressed.... I look forward to trying the Tech package system next time.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Just to clarify Ostrich, the tech package has about 164 watts of more gusto with two additional speakers, so next time ask for the Tech package TL! It's funny how people hear and feel music differently from one ear to the next. Cold is an odd term used to describe audio especially when you say the mid-range was lacking? The term warm GENERALLY consists of dropping the mid-range, leaving the bass and treble dominant. I feel the ELS in the TL way too harsh around 2.5khz, and I wish there was an attenuation for the mid frequencies, but I'm a audio nut so there you go. There is no benchmark for good audio sound, it's all subjective, I'm just glad you had a chance to check out the new TL.
Yes, indeed. What you describe used to be referred to as a "British sound" after their KEF's and B&W's which had that now legendary upper bass emphasis. They also rolled off the extreme highs so they never sounded strident. Great speakers at low volume. Kind of like having a built-in loudness compensation (remember those atrocities?). Later this sound was refined a bit to become the Boston sound. Same idea, just less pronounced. Later came the church of ruler flat response prompted by the "answer to all things audio, the CD" which measured flat from 20-20k hz. Unfortunately, the CD players of the time had such universally horrible D/A converters and jitter regulation that they sounded worse than a 45 rpm record that had been used for a trivet. As time wore on, and the hardware improved, so did the sound of redbook CD's. Still not up to the standards of the best vinyl reproduction, but damn close. Clearly an auto interior is no place for any truly high quality sound system and, at best, many, many compromises have to be made. I've spent years with the Levinson Lexus system and it's very good for what is possible within the auto environment. I believe the ELS system betters it based on limited auditioning thus far.

Audio and auto...what a great combination of subjects so close to my heart.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Right on! The next time I visit the stealership, I'm gonna sit in a TSX and listen to it's sound system just to compare. Regarding the vinyl reproduction, I myself love vinyl and have about 4K pieces of vinyl, but it doesn't come close to CD's in the reproduction of the original sound. For the simple reason that vinyl decomposes in quality after usage. No matter how good the pickup or how warm it sounds, it's still a microphone level to listen to music which has never been as good as digital mastering in my opinion. I'll take a bad D/A converter over a ground hum from a turntable anytime! :-) Not to mention the snap crackle and pop of vinyl, which is kind of fun sometimes. LOL.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
One thing that did NOT impress me too much was the audio system. It had good clarity, but then somehow, just like many "premium" audio systems that I have heard, the sound was kind of lacking mid-range frequencies and a bit too "cold". In fact, I liked the supposedly lower grade sound system in my 04 TSX - it just sounded so much more "organic" and warmer with my TSX's stock audio system! I would LOVE to try out the ELS system in the Tech version though - is it really that much better than the regular 09 TL audio system? How does it compare to the BMW Logic 7 system, and the B&O system of the Audi? OR even just the Audi Symphony system?
The ELS in the Tech package is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the stock radio. I have not heard the high end BMW Logic 7, but have heard the B&O in the A4 and the Lexicon in the Genesis and the SOW in the Infiniti G37. I would out the Lexicon and ELS at the top, the ELS has a tad more clarity, but I like the Lexicon in that it can deliver consistent power throughout the power band and is also very clean. I would put the Audi B&O next and the Infiniti SOW last. The SOW is good, but compared to the others it is a little behind. I have not heard the Mark Levinson in a Lexus, but consdiering it a expensive option I have not had a friend yet that got it in their's. The 4G ELS is a huge step up from the 3G ELS.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I took my 07 TL for service and they gave me 09 TL Tech FWD for loaner and I ask myself why did they give me 09 because the car is simply awesome in every way. I just didn't want to give it back. Exterior, Interior (all in my opinion) are just better than the 3G. The color I got was Grigio Metallic with Taupe and I thought it was just Gorgeous. Wife loved it. Took it to work and everyone was basically drooling all over it, not a single negative comment.
Love those neat map lights, feels as if I am inside a 5 star luxury hotel. I thought the car handled better than my 07 and had a better ride quality. Now I want one, but I am not in the market for a new car. So why did I get the 09, I can't forget about how nice 4G is compared to 3G. And it's a good thing they didn't give me the SHAWD.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Drifting

It's a smart move on their part, isn't it?

Originally Posted by wutaguy
I took my 07 TL for service and they gave me 09 TL Tech FWD for loaner and I ask myself why did they give me 09 because the car is simply awesome in every way. I just didn't want to give it back. Exterior, Interior (all in my opinion) are just better than the 3G. The color I got was Grigio Metallic with Taupe and I thought it was just Gorgeous. Wife loved it. Took it to work and everyone was basically drooling all over it, not a single negative comment.
Love those neat map lights, feels as if I am inside a 5 star luxury hotel. I thought the car handled better than my 07 and had a better ride quality. Now I want one, but I am not in the market for a new car. So why did I get the 09, I can't forget about how nice 4G is compared to 3G. And it's a good thing they didn't give me the SHAWD.
Wutaguy, I totally agree with you! It's a very nice vehicle. People seem to like it more and more after they have driven it! :-) I can't wait to get my hands on the SH-AWD!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
that's what happened to me. 04 TL in for service - 09 TL loaner - 2 weeks later bought one
Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you consider 4G TL, you definitely have to get the TL SH-AWD....

You won't regret it, because as heavier as the 4G TL is, 3.7's HP/Torque give the break-even feeling and handles better.

Trust me, go test drive both, and you'll know... I test drove the 4G TL base, and got a 4G TL SH-AWD loaner for 10 days...

If I haven't bought my 3G TL Type-S back in 2007, I'll probably chose 4G TL SH-AWD... or Infinity G37S
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by georgegiorgio
If you consider 4G TL, you definitely have to get the TL SH-AWD....

You won't regret it, because as heavier as the 4G TL is, 3.7's HP/Torque give the break-even feeling and handles better.

Trust me, go test drive both, and you'll know... I test drove the 4G TL base, and got a 4G TL SH-AWD loaner for 10 days...

If I haven't bought my 3G TL Type-S back in 2007, I'll probably chose 4G TL SH-AWD... or Infinity G37S
Yup, to me, the SH-AWD TL is the only version worth having.....the FWD, although nice, is just too boring of a drive......the SH-AWD is what transforms the 4G into something special....more of a what a sports sedan should drive like. It's incredibly fun going into a corner at break-neck speeds and watch what the car does....even more amazing when the pavement is wet! There is a small stretch of road on my way to work where there is a couple of smooth S-curves......I like to think of it as my personal "test track." The only person I know who has driven the SH-AWD and didn't like it was Psychdoc...but he's into cushier rides so the FWD suits him more.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:45 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by wutaguy
I put my 3G in for service yesterday, they gave me a 4g as a loaner (turn out to be a $600 rental), first time they've giving out anything other than TSX's. Guess they're trying to sell me something, but with the 3G paid for, it won't happen.

I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the 4G, it seems they read A LOT of what this board had to say about the 3G, it felt like a step up from the 3G, but I still like my 06 enough not to want a car payment. If I was doing it again a 4G SHAWD would be what I'd get.

One bad thing was the display, it got washed out a lot with the sun, does it happen that way with the NAV screen?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:30 AM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I put my 3G in for service yesterday, they gave me a 4g as a loaner (turn out to be a $600 rental), first time they've giving out anything other than TSX's. Guess they're trying to sell me something, but with the 3G paid for, it won't happen.

I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the 4G, it seems they read A LOT of what this board had to say about the 3G, it felt like a step up from the 3G, but I still like my 06 enough not to want a car payment. If I was doing it again a 4G SHAWD would be what I'd get.

One bad thing was the display, it got washed out a lot with the sun, does it happen that way with the NAV screen?
Actually all LCD screen are like that, but 4G TL's LCD is bigger, brighter and crispy...

I still love my 07 TL-S touch screen, more intuitive, however, the new 4G TL's navigation has a lot of more function that I'd love to have... like real phone book, with dial pad... reroute, better maps...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by georgegiorgio
Actually all LCD screen are like that, but 4G TL's LCD is bigger, brighter and crispy...

I still love my 07 TL-S touch screen, more intuitive, however, the new 4G TL's navigation has a lot of more function that I'd love to have... like real phone book, with dial pad... reroute, better maps...
Its an easy transition from the 3G's touch screen to the 4G's system - same for the controls
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 PM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I got an 09 TL loaner today too! I dropped off the 99 tl for a timing belt and they pulled up in an 09 for me. I don't really care for the looks of the car, but damn it drives like a dream! Now I don't want to give it back.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's kinda like dating the chick who's not so hot, but really does it in bed, you don't want to give her up!