I admit it. The 2009 TL styling has GROWN on me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admit it. The 2009 TL styling has GROWN on me!

I tell you what gang, it took me awhile to come on board, but from the side and rear angles I think this car is an absolute stunner. The nose... eh. I don't mind it so much. But a Cleveland-area dealer had a body-colored one and I found that really attractive.

Kudos to Acura for having styling balls. I know this remark is subjective but bad styling is preferable to plagiarized or zero styling (e.g., Lexus).

My 2007 TL comes off lease in December. I have driven the 2009 FWD version, and I honestly don't feel that it felt that much different from my car, except that the steering was tighter at freeway speeds. Acceleration and noise levels felt about the same. I am anxious to try the AWD version but am concerned that I may find the ride bonejarring.

I'm actually leaning away from Acura for my lease replacement. One of my co-workers just picked up a Mercedes C300 AWD, he let me drive it and I love it. Doesn't have the electronic gizmos but I loved the way I felt when I drove the car. Plus I'm moving into my fiancee's house and the C300 would fit much better in her garage.. even my 3G TL is a tight fit. I did drive the new TSX as well, but I didn't like the engine and found the car boring to drive. I may give the upcoming 6 cylinder version a shot, though.

Sorry, I know this is a pointless post, haven't been on here in awhile (3x Acura owner).
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blackbr
Sorry, I know this is a pointless post, haven't been on here in awhile (3x Acura owner).
Not pointless at all.

I saw an 09 SH-AWD at a local car show this weekend and was blown away by the interior. I love all the buttons and gadgets.

As far as the front, not my favorite styling elements but A) I can live it, B) I don't see it from the driver's seat.

I had an Gen 2 TL-S and can say I am looking forward to getting back in the Acura saddle later this year.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbr
I'm actually leaning away from Acura for my lease replacement. One of my co-workers just picked up a Mercedes C300 AWD, he let me drive it and I love it. Doesn't have the electronic gizmos but I loved the way I felt when I drove the car.
You may want to drive it again...longer this time. I drove the C300 several times because that is the loaner that i get when i service my MB. The ride of the C300 sport is just plain bone jarring! Horribly stiff. I could not believe how hard the suspension was over expansion joints on the highway! I actually had to manually check the tire pressures to make sure...the pressures were OK. I can't imagine the TL SH-AWD ride to be any worst than the C300. This may sound weird, but my G500 is smoother over the bad Texas highways than the C300...and trust me, the G500 is no Lexus! My wife's TSX suspension is definitely more compliant than the C300, while still sport car stiff (a bit more sporty than the regular 2009 TL that i had as a loander).

A friend of mine who has an Infiniti G35 also noted how stiff the C300 was, compared to his G35.

BTW, i do like the styling on the C300 a lot. Actually, if i were you, then i would skip the C-class altogether and go straight to the Mercedes GLK350. Why? Well, for the same price as a C300, you can get a GLK350 (FWD), which has the same suspension design as the C-class (dual mode shocks) AND you get the 3.5L V6 engine (same as the one in the C350). And for the price of the C350, you can get the GLK350 AWD for true all-season traction. In addition, GLK carries more stuff, higher off the ground, and, from what i have read, it is more comfy than the C-class (due to more compliance in the suspension). (I think that the GLK makes the C300 AWD obsolete.)
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Intermediate

Great observations, Tig! The sport model is the C300 AWD that I drove, I did find the ride pleasantly firm, but not bone-jarring. If the TL SH-AWD is no harder, then I won't mind it at all.

The GLK is a great value, but I think the size of it may be an issue. Plus the future Mrs. doesn't like "cute utes!!!" She'd want a Tahoe-sized monster or no SUV at all!

Note that I found the RDX ride bone-jarring. I was seriously considering one of those a few years back but the punishing ride was a deal breaker.

Skeptic, the Cleveland auto show is where I fell in love with the 4G TL styling. They had a bronze SH-AWD with the same color interior. I found it stunning, wish that color combo (along with the 18" wheels) was available in the FWD version.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
While my 4G styling is growing on me, it still does not invoke the same emotions my 3G Tpye-S did from styling. Where the 4G makes up for it is in the AWD ride, just so much better and more refined than 3G Type-S. At least I am not nauseated by the 4G like I was when it was first released. But I don't see me being obsessed with the 4G the way I was with the 3G. I still think the 3G was the damn near perfect car, great styling features and ride in the perfect size. I don't think the 4G will be regarded in the same light, but will still be successful.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
:)

damn.. =o