how is the ride quality in 09 tl sh awd

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how is the ride quality in 09 tl sh awd

some of the reviews i have seen said the ride is too firm.What does everyone who owns one think?How does it compare to the early 2001- 2003 cl/tl type s in ride quality?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's like comparing Kobe to Michael Jordan if you ask me. Two different players in different time periods. It's also subjective, which probably will bring on debate here at Acurazine.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I don;t know how it compares to the older Type-S, but compared to a 3G Type-S is is a nice evolutionary step forward. The car handles every bit as good as 3G Type-S and then some, it's ride is more compliant as it soaks up bumps btter, while still remaing firm. They hit a really good balance. My gripe with Acura is don't force me into a $4K AWD upgrade just to get that ride. They could deliver most of that ride without AWD. They should offer a model with that ride without AWD.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I don;t know how it compares to the older Type-S, but compared to a 3G Type-S is is a nice evolutionary step forward. The car handles every bit as good as 3G Type-S and then some, it's ride is more compliant as it soaks up bumps btter, while still remaing firm. They hit a really good balance. My gripe with Acura is don't force me into a $4K AWD upgrade just to get that ride. They could deliver most of that ride without AWD. They should offer a model with that ride without AWD.
i agree, i spent 4 days with a 09 loaner, wasnt an sh....i didnt like the ride of the base at all....way too soft and the steering felt too light....i dont want to drive the sh becasue i want to keep my current car for another 2 years....
Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silver01cltypes
some of the reviews i have seen said the ride is too firm.What does everyone who owns one think?How does it compare to the early 2001- 2003 cl/tl type s in ride quality?
Why don't you go for a test drive and see for yourself.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Odd comments Vinnie and Keith? Keith, are you aware that there is a FWD, for a couple of G's less, and it's cushier than the AWD? Vinnie, I feel the steering is too tight as there was a little give in my 05 TL, but I can't compare it to my 05 TL? That's just makes no sense, it's a totally different ride? No actually I can, the 09 TL is better.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
Odd comments Vinnie and Keith? Keith, are you aware that there is a FWD, for a couple of G's less, and it's cushier than the AWD? Vinnie, I feel the steering is too tight as there was a little give in my 05 TL, but I can't compare it to my 05 TL? That's just makes no sense, it's a totally different ride? No actually I can, the 09 TL is better.
I'm confused, I know there is a FWD model, but I responded to the OP quesiton referring to my expieriences with my 3G Type-S vs. AWD. I have driven the base car twice, and had it for a loaner for 2 days. I coudl not wait to give them back the keys to the 09 FWD. TOO Soft and numb steering.The AWD is a really good combination of handling and sporty ride. It soaks up bumps better than 08 Type-S yet handles better. Besides styling my complaint is the steering is still too light for my tastes. Sur eI woudl get used to it, but prefer more resistance and feedback.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess the comment that stood out was

My gripe with Acura is don't force me into a $4K AWD upgrade just to get that ride.
Now one's forcing you, it's an option that you have to pay for. Which is why I stated get the FWD, but now I see you didn't like the FWD, sorry. Regarding the rest of the comments, it's all subjective. I feel the steering is extremely tight on my FWD compared to the 05 TL I had, plus the experience of a new car to anything older is gonna be better. The only true way to compare is if they both have the same mileage, then test drive them both, that's my biggest beef here with the OP.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did ask if anyone who has one what did they think.And i was only comparing to the older cl/tl type s because i currently have one.I have always thought my cl was a firm ride.I know that it would be a new car and ride better than a car with some mileage on it.It just wasn't one review that said it has a firm ride but a couple.Didn't mean to cause any trouble.If anyone else has any input on the ride of a sh awd i would appreciate it.You do not have to compare it to anything else.And yes petestL i should go for a test drive but then i may drive home with one and with the way the economy is going iam not sure if i want to do that just yet.Thanks for all your help
Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

No trouble at all Silver, its just that you asked a subjective question, which usually leads to insane and silly argumentative statements, like I just did. If you do test drive it, it's hard not to sign, I was sold right after my first test drive. The only thing I can correctly compare this new TL to is the AWD TL, which as stated above is a firm sporty ride. As you go around corners, the car kinda sits down through the turn, which gives you very little body roll. My FWD is still excellent, but you won't get that sensation in the FWD. The stock rims and tires give it a plush executive ride if you will. Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silver01cltypes
i did ask if anyone who has one what did they think.And i was only comparing to the older cl/tl type s because i currently have one.I have always thought my cl was a firm ride.I know that it would be a new car and ride better than a car with some mileage on it.It just wasn't one review that said it has a firm ride but a couple.Didn't mean to cause any trouble.If anyone else has any input on the ride of a sh awd i would appreciate it.You do not have to compare it to anything else.And yes petestL i should go for a test drive but then i may drive home with one and with the way the economy is going iam not sure if i want to do that just yet.Thanks for all your help
I find it to be about as soft as I would allow...even for a daily driver. It is definitely a bit sporty as it allows you to feel what is going on, but it does so in a relaxed manner. If you want to be totally isolated from the world around you, and locked up in your own little pod, and never hear the engine...then it is not right for you. If you like to carve a few corners now and then, but don't want something that is going to be tiring and fatiguing over the long haul freeway run: it's brilliant.

The only FWD car I ever had was an Integra GS-R that I bought for track work back in the day. However I only ever drove it with coilovers, sways, aggressive alignment, cornerweighting, yada yada. I'd say the SH-AWD can corner about the same given the same tires...but it is more relaxed when rolling over pot holes and freeway expansion joints.

Currently my only cars are P-cars. Compared to the Cayman S with active suspension (when in normal modes, this is softer and more comfortable than the stock suspension) the TL definitely has a softer ride but it still could probably go around a skid pad just as fast (or maybe faster?) thanks to the SH-AWD (again, given equal tires).

If you hit a bump in the TL, you know that you hit a bump, but you aren't jarred by the impact.

Hope that helps?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
OP you just need to test drive one - and see if it is something you like or not - then post w/ your 2 cents
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
It's all relative...kind of like incest.