How to replace window belt moldings (rubber at base of window)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to replace window belt moldings (rubber at base of window)

Hey yall,

I just purchased a 2009 TL. The window belt moldings (as I believe they're called) are brittle, broken and need replacing, as to keep rainwater from entering door. The TL lived in Arizona, then here in Texas so they heat just fried these The used dealer agreed to pay for the parts/labor....but, I am going to replace the blown front speakers so would like to do the repair myself, if not rocket science.

I attempted to search the forum, to no avail..

Can somebody provide some guidance or prior post on how these things are replaced? I am assuming the interior panel has to be removed to replace the exterior rubber moldings?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
Since you have a new one look at it for guidance. It will tell you how it's attached.

You will need to remove anything thats on top of it. Ie. Mirror; maybe vertical molding. Inner trim panel off will give it more room when grabbing the molding.

Belt Moldings (BM) are usually snap in to the door panel in the center and held on by screw or nut on the front and rear ends. Some only at rear. Look at the new one... Not all moldings have fasteners.

Once the end fasteners are removed from the ends, just grab it near the back (anywhere you can next to the window) from the top and pull it straight up to peel it off. BM may bow and clips may break... thats normal. FYI - Clips are replaceable.

Install

Line up the clips with the slots in door panel and push down. Spead out the pressure so you don't dent or damage it.

Install fasteners.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
BTW window should be in the down position the whole time.