How to install DRL on 2010 TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install DRL on 2010 TL

Does anyone know how to replace the DRL lights with HID lights?

is there DIY thread on here that someone can point me to?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
you dont replace it with HID lights to begin with.. its either halogen or LED... do you know how HID even works?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
you dont replace it with HID lights to begin with.. its either halogen or LED... do you know how HID even works?

If you pull the DRL fuse then replace the bulbs with an 55W HID conversion kit you would have HID High Beams. I'm looking to do this sometime soon. I assume this would work but haven't actually tested it.

Down side to this though is that when the ballast fires up it will take about 20 seconds or more for the light to reach full output.

Am I incorrect?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Matts_Acura
If you pull the DRL fuse then replace the bulbs with an 55W HID conversion kit you would have HID High Beams. I'm looking to do this sometime soon. I assume this would work but haven't actually tested it.

Down side to this though is that when the ballast fires up it will take about 20 seconds or more for the light to reach full output.

Am I incorrect?

you will loose your flash-to-pass function, hid bulbs take about 15-20 secs to fully be fired up and running at 100%.

it will work, but what is the point of it? unless your in a area where it is COMPLETELY dark and have no lamp post, where you drive at night most of the time, then i could see that you could need it. But if your driving within city limits and rarely use it.. i dont see the reason to have it.. putting in 55w will potentially melt your housing if you use it too long or even damage your headlight lens.

Remember its not a projector housing where its made of metal to contain the heat, the housing the high beam bowl is like plastic.. i know because i cut one up recently and its just full of powder residue.

putting HID in general causes all kinds of risk..when running a regular halogen or led causes no risk at all. heck even running leds may cause damage to the inside lens. just look at JNC's pics of him fixing headlights that have damage clearcoat in the inside of the headlights.. it is caused by the LED's emitting some type of chemical that eats up the inside of the lens.

but if you must, pull the fuse, run a relay kit, have a seperate switch for the HID highbeams turn on, and dont use the stock switch.

oh and not to mention, cops can see your ass from a mile away.. if i get pulled over i would get all sorts of tickets.. tint, exhaust, fix it ticket for headlight and no front license plate, causing distraction to other drivers, etc....

Last edited by potmilkz; 04-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
you will loose your flash-to-pass function, hid bulbs take about 15-20 secs to fully be fired up and running at 100%.

it will work, but what is the point of it? unless your in a area where it is COMPLETELY dark and have no lamp post, where you drive at night most of the time, then i could see that you could need it. But if your driving within city limits and rarely use it.. i dont see the reason to have it.. putting in 55w will potentially melt your housing if you use it too long or even damage your headlight lens.

Remember its not a projector housing where its made of metal to contain the heat, the housing the high beam bowl is like plastic.. i know because i cut one up recently and its just full of powder residue.

putting HID in general causes all kinds of risk..when running a regular halogen or led causes no risk at all. heck even running leds may cause damage to the inside lens. just look at JNC's pics of him fixing headlights that have damage clearcoat in the inside of the headlights.. it is caused by the LED's emitting some type of chemical that eats up the inside of the lens.

but if you must, pull the fuse, run a relay kit, have a seperate switch for the HID highbeams turn on, and dont use the stock switch.

oh and not to mention, cops can see your ass from a mile away.. if i get pulled over i would get all sorts of tickets.. tint, exhaust, fix it ticket for headlight, causing distraction to other drivers, etc....
Good points. It did cross my mind about over heating the plastics with the 55W. I'm not feeling the DRL's anymore (have started to eat up the inside of my lenses supposedly) and the only reason to use the lights would be for High beams. I mainly use mine to tell slow people to get the F out of my way when they are lane squatting but I guess it would be a dick move to flash my brights at them if I'm running HID high beams.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Matts_Acura
Good points. It did cross my mind about over heating the plastics with the 55W. I'm not feeling the DRL's anymore (have started to eat up the inside of my lenses supposedly) and the only reason to use the lights would be for High beams. I mainly use mine to tell slow people to get the F out of my way when they are lane squatting but I guess it would be a dick move to flash my brights at them if I'm running HID high beams.
yea if your using it just to flash-to-pass, i suggest to stick with the halogens.. but like you said.. if you dont like the drl just pull the fuse.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

@ potmilkz

good points endeed. don't want the cops on me.

To answer your question if i know how HID works, no, I do not know how they work. All I know is that I would want them to look like my headlights. The reason I said HID is because I just purchased a pair of HID fog lights. I figured that this can be done to the DRLs aswell.

Now that I know this I will be using LEDs. So, how can I swap em out with LEDs? Is it just a matter of taking the bulb out and putting in the new one?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by draghon88
@ potmilkz

good points endeed. don't want the cops on me.

To answer your question if i know how HID works, no, I do not know how they work. All I know is that I would want them to look like my headlights. The reason I said HID is because I just purchased a pair of HID fog lights. I figured that this can be done to the DRLs aswell.

Now that I know this I will be using LEDs. So, how can I swap em out with LEDs? Is it just a matter of taking the bulb out and putting in the new one?
you will plug it as you would but you will need a "error free module" inbetween your stock high beam harness and bulb.
The following users liked this post:
draghon88 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks potmilkz.

I think i'll keep them the way they are for now. But good looking out on the info.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I did HID drl's in my civic. Worked awesome for night time driving on rural roads but otherwise useless. Ballasts were 35W so I would be a lil sketched out putting 55W ballats in due to the heat and light output.