Horrible experience at Acura Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
I can see both sides. Dealerships generally lose money on warranty work because they are paid a flat fee set by Acura and they do get some money to reimburse loaner cars for warranty work but it doesn't cover everything. They hope to make back some of that money on non-warranty work.

Why you would do non-warranty work at one dealership and warranty work there probably angers them and doesn't make sense to me. It does sound personal but running a car business is not just about the $$ sometimes and buying a car is not just about the $$ either.
I don't do any service work at this dealership. My TL has 35k miles on and has been maintenance free. I change my oil. Should I be expected to waste my time and money going to them for simple oil changes so they can make money off me. No thanks. The closest Acura dealer outside this one is about 1hr 45 minute drive. Their elitist attitude is driving this behavior.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Considering your history with them, I'm actually surprised that you even went there in the first place. IMO, it's probably time to let it lie (here in the forum), though you obviously have more to do between you and Acura.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
Went to drive the '09 TL at my local dealer (Duncan Acura). They refused to let me drive the car because I bought my 2006 TL from Pohanka Acura back in 2006. Said I wasted their time 2 years ago. I gave them the price Pohanka was willing to sell me the car for and said I would pay a few hundred more to buy locally. They refused to even counter the first and the only number which they gave me was close to $2k more than the price at Pohanka. Needless to say I went to Pohanka and bought the car. I sent a detailed letter to the owner of Duncan Auto group and got a letter from the Sales Manager stating that they could not sell me the car at the price Pohanka was willing to sell it to me for and that their time spent with me was wasted. Talk about sore losers.

Anyways, they indicate in their letter they will not service my vehicle (warranty and repairs I assume but it was not specific). I have used them for warranty work on my 2006 but have not needed any service since buying the car b/c I do my own oil changes and the car has been flawless. To any dealers out there, can they refuse warranty/repair work on an Acura product when the car is not purchased at the same dealer? My next course of action is to contact Honda/Acura and tell them how I was not allowed to drive the new TL b/c I did not buy from them 2 years ago and now they are saying I can not use their service dept. Gotta love dealers who can't face the fact that not all customers will pay their premium price and that they prefer to take advantage of the uneducated. thanks

make a certified copy of that letter and send it to Acura Corporate with a letter explaining the circumstances...........

don't ever go near those fools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
FUCK THEM! take your hard earned money and time to a dealership that will welcome your interest in the vehicle. Specially in hard financial times like these the reputable ,professional dealers will continue to strive. I waited an hour for a test drive on the '09, spoke with the salesman for over two hours and in the end we shoke hands after I decided that at this momemt the car was not for me. When I'm ready for my next purchase I will contact the salesman because of his professionalism and give him the opportunity to earn my business.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fleet manager is probably the best salesman at the dealership next to the finance manager but they do know when to pick their battles and if they can't pound you they don't but that doesn't mean they don't try! Sometimes, depending on the customer, I just lay down and move on to the next sale. My time is too valuable trying to get blood from a stone.

Originally Posted by Type34
As the "car guy" in my group of family and friends, I've probably been involved in 20-25 transactions over the past 15 years or so. With all due respect to good, successful car salesmen, no other group of salesmen have collectively wasted my time and consumed more precious oxygen as they threw ridiculous numbers and information our way.

98% of the time I knew more than the salesman about their respective product and most of the time it was an all-out battle to get a fair price. One of my best friends is a BMW salesman and I understand the way the business works. That is why I no longer deal with salesmen, I work directly with the fleet manager.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Cecilt
I don't do any service work at this dealership. My TL has 35k miles on and has been maintenance free. I change my oil. Should I be expected to waste my time and money going to them for simple oil changes so they can make money off me. No thanks. The closest Acura dealer outside this one is about 1hr 45 minute drive. Their elitist attitude is driving this behavior.
Since I am not handy, I cannot even do simple oil changes. While neighborhood mechanics are cheaper (and may even be faster), I find dealerships a bit better because they generally provide more courteous service, give you a loaner car (if you bought your car there), give you a lift to the train station (if you need to go to work while they work on your car), a free car wash (by hand), a comfortable waiting area with a giant screen tv, cappuccinos, magazines, cheese and bagels, wi-fi internet access, etc ..... Of course they have to charge you more, because they have more overhead expenses, not to mention paying wages of those unionized techs.

Not all dealerships are bad, some of them are actually quite decent.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by kenny5
...Not all dealerships are bad, some of them are actually quite decent.
You better be careful, reasonable posts like this can get you run out of town...
Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Cecil, I live in Salem, va and have tried to purchase two cars from Duncan Acura. The first being my 07 TL which I ended up driving to Radley Acura in Falls Church and paying $250 under invoice and then again about 2 weeks ago when I went to try to work a deal on an 09 Tech package. I understand the cars are new and that dealers arent eager to discount them, but like alot of others here, I cant see myself paying over invoice for a car. They are very rude, arrogant and will not work with you at all. I drove the car and before we even began discussing price they had a bump sticker on the car of $40,9xx. The Salesman wouldnt budge a penny and offered me 24k for my 07 w/ 15k miles. I thanked him and wont ever go back. I am currently speaking with a couple other dealers who have already beaten Duncans OTD price by $2k+....How they sell cars their is beyond me.
And by the way while I was there, they SOLD 2 base model TL's to 2 different women. I just cant beleive that people are paying $900 over MSRP and will accept a justified reasoning of detailing, gas, pin strip and inspection for the $900!

Last edited by UM Canes; 10-09-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by UM Canes
Cecil, I live in Salem, va and have tried to purchase two cars from Duncan Acura. The first being my 07 TL which I ended up driving to Radley Acura in Falls Church and paying $250 under invoice and then again about 2 weeks ago when I went to try to work a deal on an 09 Tech package. I understand the cars are new and that dealers arent eager to discount them, but like alot of others here, I cant see myself paying over invoice for a car. They are very rude, arrogant and will not work with you at all. I drove the car and before we even began discussing price they had a bump sticker on the car of $40,9xx. The Salesman wouldnt budge a penny and offered me 24k for my 07 w/ 15k miles. I thanked him and wont ever go back. I am currently speaking with a couple other dealers who have already beaten Duncans OTD price by $2k+....How they sell cars their is beyond me.
And by the way while I was there, they SOLD 2 base model TL's to 2 different women. I just cant beleive that people are paying $900 over MSRP and will accept a justified reasoning of detailing, gas, pin strip and inspection for the $900!
Just backs up my experience with them as well. Thanks for sharing. Even though your Sig is University of Miami Canes and I'm a Va Tech guy we certainly agree on this.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by oldguytsxer
I happened by to seek input on 09 TL....I have Hondated 06 TSX.

I was retail business owner for 17 years, (retired at 49).

I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

Iin my last couple years I told many of the many tire kickers (no pun intended) that would pick my brain, waste my time, never spend a nickel, and consume the oxygen in my store, what I really thought of them.

It was very refreshing...

Perhaps you hacked someone off bad enuff, they just gave you a piece of their mind. Just deal elsewhere, Acura HQ may blow your letter off as a crank, the BBB is a frickin joke, save your breath.
It's a car salesdroid JOB to get their brain picked, of which most have none.(when it comes to knowledge of their product)
It's not their fault you couldn't sell them a car...

Type34 has it right! Deal with the FM! Regular sale droids are just speedbumps on the way to the FM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kenny5
Of course they have to charge you more, because they have more overhead expenses, not to mention paying wages of those unionized techs.

Not all dealerships are bad, some of them are actually quite decent.
Service techs are unionized in NY? I would probably go to a dealer if they employed union mechanics, at least that way I would know that they had some level of formal training and weren't the lowest paid employees in the place.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Cruisin'

Service Techs are not the lowest paid employees in the place by far. In fact alot of the certified techs make more then the salesmen do. I guess it all depends on the market your in and of course your skill level as a salesmen but in my area the certified techs make a very respectable living.

Scott

Originally Posted by 1075
Service techs are unionized in NY? I would probably go to a dealer if they employed union mechanics, at least that way I would know that they had some level of formal training and weren't the lowest paid employees in the place.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:51 AM
10th Gear

Had a similar experience with a dealer a few years ago. They tried to sell me a year-old Camry as a "Program" car, when I went to look at it it was not the color they claimed, had cigarette burns all over the interior, and carfax showed it was a rental.. Naturally I said DO NOT WANT!! After making further inquiries, the salesman told me his manager wouldn't let him work with me anymore since I had "wasted" his time like that, and that I could have "cost him his job!!" Wow, needless to say I wasn't too upset when I went to a different dealer
Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM
2017 TLX TECH V6

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
www.dealerrater.com Tell the world!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dealers can vary. I think the orginal person got black listed in some way. It might not be because he is a difficult customer, it's just that they cannot please him anymore. I had the same thing happened when 2 different dealers fudged the repair, damaged, the car, and then forgot to order replacement parts.

They no longer gave me a followup call and they were not as nice to me as they once were. It was because I saw how screwed up something was and tried to get it fixed so it would not happen again But it did!

Best thing to do is take your business elsewhere. Dealers are not always well balanced in that you can have a great sales experience and a crappy service experience or vice versa.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is strange how we all have such different experiences with dealers. Glendale Acura (CA) has been superb on every level. I've had such great experiences with them that I'm finding it hard to get serious about brands other than Acura - despite the fact that there are a lot of aspects of the new TL that I don't like.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced

I had a similar experience ones with a Chrysler dealer a while ago, they went out of business in few years. thanks God.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

VA Dealers

This is a little off-topic, but I took a look at dealerrater.com mentioned above, and it appears that most VA Acura dealers are not getting positive reviews. Of course, there are not very many posts on that site, and it may be that only pissed-off people are motivated to share their experiences. Virginia may be "For Lovers" but they don't appear to be "For (Acura) Lovers"...at least from a dealership experience!
Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

My advice, move on. Life is too short. If a dealership is bad, I wouldnt spend the time trying to get them to be better. Spend your dollars elsewhere and put the time saved into things worth while... like time with the family.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
|| cRaFtY jDm ||

wow thats some bs
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smkdc5
wow thats some bs
I guess the customer is always right.

Sometimes I run into people who are extreemly demanding and just because they're going to part with 10,20K thinking they get to run all over you.

I'm not saying that's happening in this case, but dealers deal with alot of shit heads - to be fair, there are many on this board, there have to be based on the number of people here.

I'm not calling the OP out and saying he was anything but in the right - however lets not forget the crap dealers have to put up with. Maybe start with all the kids who own used acuras who demand a certain level of service that is beyond the norm. It happens, every day, somewhere.

If I owned a dealership, would I not service a time wasting customer who's loyalties lie only to the person with the lowest price? Maybe, if he/she really wasted my time. Time wasters cost money and they tend to be high maintence later on. The people who pinch you for everything are not valuable customers.

For $2k I wouldnt have bought at the dealership, but I also wouldn't have bothered to ever go back. I dont reward bad business.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Intermediate

So from what I am hearing, Pohanka in Chantilly is the dealre in the DC area to go to. I have been to Criswell in Annapolis and let say a seat tear, and windows left down in the rain later I tried Radley for the latest 2 recalls, I got my car back last week, and scratches and now a new noise from under the hood later(I think its another heat shield issue) (Also General service manager Sergio is a complete D!@#, totally unsympathetic or anything), I have to try and find a dealer that will just fix my car and not cause more problems!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
you could spend you days off standing in front of the dealership with a sign saying dont do business here!!