Honda vs. Acura Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda vs. Acura Maintenance

I bought my car at a Honda dealership which was originally leased at a nearby Acura dealership (about two miles down the road apart). I'm going to take it in for an oil change. Does it matter which dealership I should go to? I have coupons for all kinds of maintenance from the Honda dealer yet the Acura dealer does not offer any. As a matter of fact, Acura wants $10 more for an oil change using 5W-20. Why pay more?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
No, it won't really matter. the labor rate is just lower at the Honda dealer. and so are some of the parts. the few things you get at the acura dealer...build a relationship with them in the event something crops up with your car, they are more incline to possibly help you out...free yummies and drinks...loaners for service longer than 2 hours...WiFi...free car wash if you want it. have you tried going to the acura dealer's website? they may have service coupons there.

i go to my acura dealer, b/c i've built a relationship with them. and i more or less trust them to do what is needed and they have done well to take care of me/treat me well. i dont' care for the donuts, coffee or the free car wash, but that's me.

if you're comfortable going to the honda dealer, then go for it. at least it's not jiffy lube.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
No, it won't really matter. the labor rate is just lower at the Honda dealer. and so are some of the parts. the few things you get at the acura dealer...build a relationship with them in the event something crops up with your car, they are more incline to possibly help you out...free yummies and drinks...loaners for service longer than 2 hours...WiFi...free car wash if you want it. have you tried going to the acura dealer's website? they may have service coupons there.

i go to my acura dealer, b/c i've built a relationship with them. and i more or less trust them to do what is needed and they have done well to take care of me/treat me well. i dont' care for the donuts, coffee or the free car wash, but that's me.

if you're comfortable going to the honda dealer, then go for it. at least it's not jiffy lube.
Cool, I did not think there should be that much difference for an oil change. No Jiffy Lube for me . Honda told me that they have no problem working on any issue that my Acura may have, but, I may split between both dealerships depending on the issue.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

I also have built a good relationship with my service advisor. I always tip him, which means I get great treatment when I bring the car in for scheduled maintenance.

I do however, go for the bagels, donuts, coffee and free wash. Actually my dealer will wash your car by hand, without an appointment, if you bought the car from them.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^hand wash or not...them chamois and towels they use... i won't let them touch either car with a ten foot pole!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been going to the same Acura dealer with my current car that I did for my first Acura, so it's been about 6 years now. The service advisor that I always work with is very aware of my obsession with detail and always goes all the way. The pricing is actually less on a lot of standard services than a valvoline or jiffy lube will charge. (Plus the dealer is in NH so I do not have to pay sales tax).

As an example of the long-standing relationship and a benefit that I get from going there, I recently installed a bad LED light that blew out two fuses in the gauge cluster that rendered the car unable to start. It took 6 or 7 hours of troubleshooting, but he only charged me for 2.5.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 PM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I go for transmission oil flushes, differential, transfer case and timing belt to Acura
other wise I will recommend oil changes to honda

U will be surprised I pay $11:00 labor for oil change and full inspection at Honda and its $30 labor at Acura
If I take my own synthetic oil and filter

So that was cheaper than doing it yourself

so buy your own synthetic oil when it goes for sale and take it to honda :-)

best of luck

Last edited by LADHAR; 08-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:58 PM
KB LADHAR

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I just took it to Honda for oil change at 97000 km and they also found a oil seep in one of the axle so then I took it to Acura for warranty work becoz Honda Cant do that

but It is better to have it checked from THIRD PARTY(HONDA) BEFORE YOUR WARRANTY EXPIRES
Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by LADHAR
...U will be surprised I pay $11:00 labor for oil change and full inspection at Honda and its $30 labor at Acura
If I take my own synthetic oil and filter

So that was cheaper than doing it yourself

Eh-um, if you have the space, jack, tools and time...it's easy and less expensive at home.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 PM
10th Gear

Good points I have done the oil changes on my trucks so far but decided to take the car in this time. Honda will charge me $28 (a jug of Mobil 1 is about that at Walmart) so I guess why not let them do it. Plus I get to walk around the lot while I wait.