Hazy spots in paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hazy spots in paint?

I thought I read in a thread somewhere about someone noticing random problems with hazy spots in the paint for early 2012's. Now when I search I can't find the thread I saw.

Anyway, I have two hazy circles, each about the size of a softball on the hood of my black TL. Only noticeable in direct sunlight or direct florescent light. Taking it to the dealer next week. When I called, service said only the service manager can approve warranty work on paint. They need to determine if it's mfr defect or environmental problems. Uh, can we say mfr defect? That's what it better be. I noticed just a week or two after purchase and then was out of town, so it's been about a month since purchase. Hoping they don't play games. Probably worrying too much, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced. The paint is otherwise flawless.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Discovered a hazy spot on my trunk lid too. About the size of a quarter. Will have the dealer take a look at first service if not sooner.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:30 AM
BCA
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are just polishing marks...they buffed out imperfections in the paint at the factory without following up with a "finishing" polish to take away the hazy spots you see. You can easily correct this yourself by hand or machine polishing with a mild polish and pad.

My car had 2 softball-sized spots...one on the driver's side rear door, and another on the front bumper. They both came out easily with Menzerna 106ff on a white pad, applied with my Porter Cable polisher. But then again, I just happened to have that stuff on hand because I do my own details.
The following users liked this post:
Buffa (06-20-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I have one on my hood as well, as described. Things like this are most noticable on black cars. It's barely visible, I can only find mine under flourescents, haven't needed polishing yet but it should come out or blend in when the time comes. It's up to you but as long as it's factory paint, I would leave it alone, it shouldn't need painting to fix it anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Buffa (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Thanks everyone. Should save me a trip to the dealer then. Whewh!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I think I have what you are describing on my black MDX. It's on the hood and is the size of a CD only noticeable under certain lighting conditions. Never bothered to bring it up to the dealership. Not sure I want to deal with possible repainting issues.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree with most people here, I would avoid having my car repainted under any circumstances. I don't care what any body shop tells me, a repainted surface does not have the same adhering quality as an original paint job...I am aware that its not like the OP is suggesting he should have it repainted but I am talking in general, when possible, avoid re-painting
Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I too agree. I'm gonna leave it alone. Besides it being a very small blemish, I don't see it unless I'm looking for it!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Buffa,

I think the post you are referring to was started by me. I have a 2012 Advance in Black / Black. There were some paint issues on my car (vin number less than 100) similar to yours. Turns out that there were three spots on my car, about the size of pancakes.

Dealer did the research and found that they made a change to the clear coat wet sanding process at the factory after production started. They took my car to a high end paint shop in So Cal and color sanded the three areas (hood, drivers door and rear deck) and now it is perfect.

Your dealer should be able to validate this with the Acura DSM or PM me if you need more details.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the VIN number info too. I think I'm okay there as mine is in the early 1000's. As a couple of the other posts noted here, it did buff right out. Today I just simply used a rag and some Zaino Z7 and Z2 on the spots. Perfect!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask if there is a way to fix the orange peel look Its truly is the one thing I hate about my car and it being black doesn't help hide it...
Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by smange
Ask if there is a way to fix the orange peel look Its truly is the one thing I hate about my car and it being black doesn't help hide it...
That isn't normal. I bet your dealer sprayed the car with paint sealant or something. I noticed this on an Accord I purchased. The car came from another dealer and when it arrived, the paint looked normal. Then the bastards at my dealer applied paint sealer and caused the orange peel look you mention.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 AM
?

Originally Posted by n-spring
That isn't normal. I bet your dealer sprayed the car with paint sealant or something. I noticed this on an Accord I purchased. The car came from another dealer and when it arrived, the paint looked normal. Then the bastards at my dealer applied paint sealer and caused the orange peel look you mention.
From what I can tell, most Acura's have a pretty heavy orange peel effect on their paints. The TL, MDX, ZDX, and RDX are most noticeable on darker colors.

The "Paint Sealant" may have made the paint shinier thus causing the orange peel effect that is already there to be more evident.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:23 AM
?

Originally Posted by BCA
They are just polishing marks...they buffed out imperfections in the paint at the factory without following up with a "finishing" polish to take away the hazy spots you see. You can easily correct this yourself by hand or machine polishing with a mild polish and pad.

My car had 2 softball-sized spots...one on the driver's side rear door, and another on the front bumper. They both came out easily with Menzerna 106ff on a white pad, applied with my Porter Cable polisher. But then again, I just happened to have that stuff on hand because I do my own details.
That pretty much sums it up.