Has anyone else had this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm not sure if it's a AWD specific issue or not. It's happened about four times while taking a right turn going 5-10 mph. When I gently press the gas it feels like the VSC kicks in, totally delaying power for just a split second, and then it's back to normal. So far it's happened at different locations every time and i've tried to replicate it at two of the same spots, but nothing. These roads were not really bumpy but not perfectly smooth either. I've been experimenting with the VDC off around the city to see if it does it with it off, and it hasn't.

The RDX doesn't do it at these spots or anytime for that matter, so I'm guessing it's a really sensitive VDC on the TL. Maybe with the 19" HPT's the stiffer ride is setting off the VDC. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:59 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wavehogger,

Sorry, can't say that I have. But then again, I have only recently (150 miles or so) gone past the break in.

Awesome car so far!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I wonder if the transmission is shifting from 3rd to 1st?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
I wonder if the transmission is shifting from 3rd to 1st?
Maybe but one time I was barely moving, and rolling on from a dead stop so it was def in 1st. It feels exactly like someone just kills the juice for a split second, so I assume it's the VDC. If it is, it's way too sensitive!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavehogger
I'm not sure if it's a AWD specific issue or not. It's happened about four times while taking a right turn going 5-10 mph. When I gently press the gas it feels like the VSC kicks in, totally delaying power for just a split second, and then it's back to normal. So far it's happened at different locations every time and i've tried to replicate it at two of the same spots, but nothing. These roads were not really bumpy but not perfectly smooth either. I've been experimenting with the VDC off around the city to see if it does it with it off, and it hasn't.

The RDX doesn't do it at these spots or anytime for that matter, so I'm guessing it's a really sensitive VDC on the TL. Maybe with the 19" HPT's the stiffer ride is setting off the VDC. Has anyone else experienced this?
Are you sure it is the VSC? I have had something happen a few times when slowing down and then trying to accelerate under the right circumstance the ECU seems to get confused and the car actually hesitates then ramps back up like a minor jerky action. Haappend maybe 4-5 times in first 2K miles.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by KeithL
Are you sure it is the VSC? I have had something happen a few times when slowing down and then trying to accelerate under the right circumstance the ECU seems to get confused and the car actually hesitates then ramps back up like a minor jerky action. Haappend maybe 4-5 times in first 2K miles.
Hmm, that's why I'm asking everyone. It doesn't feel like it should be the VSC, but now that I hear it's done it to you, I'm thinking it's some Acura brain fog issue/programing.. I know my dealer couldn't help, since I can't reproduce it easily and it certainly isn't setting off any codes. Not a huge deal but it just bugged me because it let off the gas so suddenly like you said and made me lean forward fast and then snap backward. The driver hardly has full control of the technological vehicles of today.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll watch for it. Can't say that I have noticed it
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

I have noticed the same thing in my FWD w/ Tech.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Could be sensitivity in the gradelogic. You hit the gas just enough to cause downshift then let off, causing confusion in which gear it supposed to be or the opposite, it's downshifting while you slow down, at the same time you hit the gas. Common on all Gradelogic transmissions. If it's vsa, you should see the symbol, and that would mean a) it's behaving like the FWD versions do, cutting throttle just before the SH transfers power to the rear or b) it's the transfer itself causing the delay.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Could be sensitivity in the gradelogic. You hit the gas just enough to cause downshift then let off, causing confusion in which gear it supposed to be or the opposite, it's downshifting while you slow down, at the same time you hit the gas. Common on all Gradelogic transmissions. If it's vsa, you should see the symbol, and that would mean a) it's behaving like the FWD versions do, cutting throttle just before the SH transfers power to the rear or b) it's the transfer itself causing the delay.
This was my thought as well. I've now put about 3k miles on my 09 TL SH-AWD w/ Tech and have had a similar thing happen to me a few times. It has always felt to me like power was loading front to rear for an instant before the car figured out exactly which way to committ the power. This same thing happened much more frequently on my old X5, not as much on my old Subaru SVX of days past. It isn't anything that bothers me, I just know it happens every so often.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
put the car in S mode and make sure you start out in 1st gear, try replicating. Then try 2nd. If it doesn't happen, then put it in D and try again.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
It happens to me, usually at slow speeds when I round a corner. It's the AWD delay of power. This is your first full time AWD vehicle isn't it?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
It happens to me, usually at slow speeds when I round a corner. It's the AWD delay of power. This is your first full time AWD vehicle isn't it?
We've also had the RDX for over 2 years and that has never done it. But my salesman at Acura said they AWD distribution is much different in the new TL than the RDX. I think he said in 1st gear the RDX can't shift as much power to the rears. Anyone know about this? I guess whatever it is, it's not something that's wrong with TL since many others are experiencing it. So I guess that's the good news.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
We've also had the RDX for over 2 years and that has never done it. But my salesman at Acura said they AWD distribution is much different in the new TL than the RDX. I think he said in 1st gear the RDX can't shift as much power to the rears.
I was looking for the actual file that described this, but from memory, this is partially correct. The original SH-AWD system (RDX, MDX, Pre-MMC RL) the Left - Right torque transfer only happened in second gear and up. The new system works in first for the new TL and 2009 RL.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Found it!

The previous RL's SH-AWD™ system didn't initiate rear side-to-side torque distribution until Second gear. However, on the 2009 RL new control parameters allow rearward torque delivery in First gear. Plus, front-to-rear and side-to-side power transfer happens much quicker with improved precision. The benefit of the revised SH-AWD™ system is improved accuracy, quicker response, and more power able to be applied to a specific rear wheel.

Torque splits are as follows:

During straight-line cruising and moderate cornering below half throttle, up to 70-percent of engine torque is delivered to the front wheels.

In full-throttle straight line acceleration, up to 40-percent of the power is sent to the rear axle.

In hard cornering, up to 70-percent of available torque goes to the rear wheels for enhanced chassis balance. Up to 100-percent of this torque can be applied to the outside rear wheel that can also be overdriven up to 5.7-percent by a built-in acceleration device.
Of course the TL only accelerates the outside rear wheel by 1.7%
Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
If anyone can confirm it's not vsa, and the car does downshift into first, then I would think it is a mechanical design. The extra load strain in the lower gear worried Acura, probably why they never put in it the earlier models.