Good bye

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good bye

After owning 3 acura TL in 9 years with a g37 in between i have decided to try another brand.

My acura TL leased was at the end, and not even a teaser from Acura of the new TLX to make me wait. Honda/Acura should change their marketing if they want people wait for a new car that is coming.

I have done a lot of test drive. My last two choices were infiniti Q50S AWD or Cadillac ATS v6 AWD performance. The Q50 was nice but not as fun to drive as the g37 was. The ATS was fun and better than the g37 and sportier than the q50.

I know all the things about reliability etc... But i have decided to do my own experience about that. The car is smaller, but i don't need so much room.

It s 3 years lease, so in maybe 30 months i ll be back if Acura is able to make the TLX sexy
Old 11-30-2013, 09:44 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good choice!
The following users liked this post:
sebounet2005 (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM

One thing will miss me is this amazing forum. I didn't find one like this for Cadillac.
Great help from most people i did my best to give some help when i could
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Good choice. I liked the ATS and I would have picked it. I packaged the 2.0T sport package with 6mt. In the end the tl won because of the backseat space for a rear facing seat.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 229 Posts
Congrats, enjoy.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
As far as reliability I'm sure you be just fine in the short term. After about 5 years; BEWARE. I'm helping my Dad work on his GMC truck. What a piece of crap to diagnose and repair. "The Horror".
Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Reorge
As far as reliability I'm sure you be just fine in the short term. After about 5 years; BEWARE. I'm helping my Dad work on his GMC truck. What a piece of crap to diagnose and repair. "The Horror".
That s one of the reason why i stay within warranty
Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by amill
Good choice. I liked the ATS and I would have picked it. I packaged the 2.0T sport package with 6mt. In the end the tl won because of the backseat space for a rear facing seat.

You re right about space. TL is more like CTS, but cost less.

And i think the 6MT from Acura is better than the one in ATS, from waht i read
Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
Nooooo!! Please don't leave an internet forum! All your iFriends are gonna be so sad!

smh.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
sebounet....Congrats on your Cadillac my friend. I can understand your frustration and I am not sure why Japanese car companies are so tight lipped about their upcoming design/models. Their sedans are doing horrible so its not like creating a buzz by release some teaser images that it would hurt their current sales...That is what the Acura marketing/design team are for I am with you, my patience is wearing thin with Acura these days, I want to be loyal to the brand but they sure make it hard for a guy like me.

They sure don't have any problems showing the NSX, almost to a point that I am tired of that thing already, unless that is a complete ruse on their part and the NSX will look nothing like the concept car they are showing.

You don't have to leave our forum....we have a few VERY AMAZING contributors here who have wandered over to the Audi brand....we really enjoy valuable members here, Acura owners or not. Besides, you might come back one day

Bonne journee et bonne chance avec ta nouvelle Cadillac

ACURA....See, you have lost another one with your tight ass approach! Its working really well eh?!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Congrats on your new car, looks very nice!!
Old 11-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by weather
sebounet....Congrats on your Cadillac my friend. I can understand your frustration and I am not sure why Japanese car companies are so tight lipped about their upcoming design/models. Their sedans are doing horrible so its not like creating a buzz by release some teaser images that it would hurt their current sales...That is what the Acura marketing/design team are for I am with you, my patience is wearing thin with Acura these days, I want to be loyal to the brand but they sure make it hard for a guy like me.

They sure don't have any problems showing the NSX, almost to a point that I am tired of that thing already, unless that is a complete ruse on their part and the NSX will look nothing like the concept car they are showing.

You don't have to leave our forum....we have a few VERY AMAZING contributors here who have wandered over to the Audi brand....we really enjoy valuable members here, Acura owners or not. Besides, you might come back one day

Bonne journee et bonne chance avec ta nouvelle Cadillac

ACURA....See, you have lost another one with your tight ass approach! Its working really well eh?!
Sorry i wont t leave completly this forum, in fact i mean less active . I will always try to give some advice if i can.

Merci pour la phrase en français :-)

Originally Posted by vivmike
Nooooo!! Please don't leave an internet forum! All your iFriends are gonna be so sad!

smh.
Still there, but may be less comments

When i talked with acura they told me at the detroit auto show they will show us the mew TLX for a release in June. So be patient if you can

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-02-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet2005
You re right about space. TL is more like CTS, but cost less.

And i think the 6MT from Acura is better than the one in ATS, from waht i read
Yeah the trans feels pretty mediocre compared to the TL. But that is par for the course with GM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Congrats on the new car,very nice .

Everyone will have a different experience,i purchased an Oldsmobile Aurora brand new in 2001 and it has been very reliable to date ( on the plus side of 250 k kms), i still use it as my winter car.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:38 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Congrats on the new sedan.

The Cadillac brand has improved a great deal over the years, and is churning out really nice cars.

There has been lots of talks on comparing with the ATS, and it's finally good to have AZ members to share their new experience on the ATS.

Great choice.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I love the design of that car and would've bought one had they not had the initial quality control issues I kept seeing popping up. If Acura could put their reliability and ergonomics into that package ... wow. It's an awesome looking car. Congrats.

BTW, I don't know if you've been on cadillacforums.com, but that's where I did my research on the ATS and what new owners were saying about it for around a year at least.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:06 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
The wife had a 2006 CTS and it was very reliable (now is owned by her son in law) and it has 123,000 miles on it. We liked it so much she now has an SRX (SUV) that has been very reliable as well. I'd buy a Cadillac again without hesitation.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Congrats on the new sedan.

The Cadillac brand has improved a great deal over the years, and is churning out really nice cars.

There has been lots of talks on comparing with the ATS, and it's finally good to have AZ members to share their new experience on the ATS.

Great choice.
I will give you a small report in a month or two. I know few things will miss me, like DVD-Audio (although hard to find), SH- awd and headlight washer, but the ATX will bring new things eating sterring wheel, start remote, cue system, navi with traffic (here in canada we don't have it on TL), front collission warning, controle lane and louder the nicer engine sound

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
I love the design of that car and would've bought one had they not had the initial quality control issues I kept seeing popping up. If Acura could put their reliability and ergonomics into that package ... wow. It's an awesome looking car. Congrats.

BTW, I don't know if you've been on cadillacforums.com, but that's where I did my research on the ATS and what new owners were saying about it for around a year at least.
Yes i saw some issues on this forum, more than acura, but cadillac ATS sales number are higher than acura TL, so the proportion of bad comments is higher

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-02-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Hi Sebounet ,

Just wondering if ATS AWD will be as good as TL SH-AWD in the Montreal slush and snow.
My TL is paid off and I was thinking if I should change it (not particular reason , the car is perfect for now) ,maybe just for the thrill of a new car, but finally I decide to wait the TLX first. I'm too addicted to SH-AWD and I'm afraid other cars will disappoint me.

Last edited by Momyc; 11-30-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Momyc
Hi Sebounet ,

Just wondering if ATS AWD will be as good as TL SH-AWD in the Montreal slush and snow.
My TL is paid off and I was thinking if I should change it (not particular reason , the car is perfect for now) ,maybe just for the thrill of a new car, but finally I decide to wait the TLX first. I'm too addicted to SH-AWD and I'm afraid other cars will disappoint me.

Hello,

i m sure it won t be better than shawd, i expect it to be like my g37x. i will need to change my way of driving in a turn and avoid accelerating to soon. but if i understand there is a limited slip differential in the atx, so it should help a lot.
even if the g37 awd was not as good as the shawd it was a better fun to drive car. May be you could say less safer but it depends how you drive and if you know your limits or the car limits.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,809 Likes on 13,988 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!
Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing will miss me is this amazing forum. I didn't find one like this for Cadillac.
Great help from most people i did my best to give some help when i could
You picked an awesome handling car and bought the exact car I was going to buy; 2014 3.6 AWD. I drove it and fell in LOVE and I'd suggest to folks to not drive it unless you're going to buy it as its truly wonderful to drive. There is a great Cadillac forum here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php

I found some issues with the ATS which caused me not to buy it. The big ones are:
engine rough idling when at stop light, feels like its going to cut off but it does not. This impacts all 3 engines choices. There was a TSB to reprogram the ECU. Some owners found that did not solve the problem.

There is a stinky AC issue which appears there is now a fix for as of a week ago. The drain pipe is inserted too far into the AC drain pan preventing water to drain and causing mildew to grow in the pan. Accessing the drain pan requires either removing the entire dash or going under the car removing the exhaust and moving the transmission a bit and then correcting the problem; the latter likely being the most recent means of employing a fix. There are a couple of threads on that which better articulate it.

There is a new issue that 3 people have had where they pull into a parking spot and the car accelerates forward despite the brakes being applied. One person did not hit anything since there was no car in front of him. Two other folks hit parked cars and one person has filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Those were the issues which caused me not to buy. Some folks are not having any of these issues so hopefully you will be fine. One person has so many issues with his 2013 that GM bought it back and he turned around and bought a 2014 ATS so there is something to be said that he went back. I'll likely end up in a TL or the Q50.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by epicurious
You picked an awesome handling car and bought the exact car I was going to buy; 2014 3.6 AWD. I drove it and fell in LOVE and I'd suggest to folks to not drive it unless you're going to buy it as its truly wonderful to drive. There is a great Cadillac forum here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php

I found some issues with the ATS which caused me not to buy it. The big ones are:
engine rough idling when at stop light, feels like its going to cut off but it does not. This impacts all 3 engines choices. There was a TSB to reprogram the ECU. Some owners found that did not solve the problem.

There is a stinky AC issue which appears there is now a fix for as of a week ago. The drain pipe is inserted too far into the AC drain pan preventing water to drain and causing mildew to grow in the pan. Accessing the drain pan requires either removing the entire dash or going under the car removing the exhaust and moving the transmission a bit and then correcting the problem; the latter likely being the most recent means of employing a fix. There are a couple of threads on that which better articulate it.

There is a new issue that 3 people have had where they pull into a parking spot and the car accelerates forward despite the brakes being applied. One person did not hit anything since there was no car in front of him. Two other folks hit parked cars and one person has filed a complaint with the NHTSA.

Those were the issues which caused me not to buy. Some folks are not having any of these issues so hopefully you will be fine. One person has so many issues with his 2013 that GM bought it back and he turned around and bought a 2014 ATS so there is something to be said that he went back. I'll likely end up in a TL or the Q50.
Thank you, yes i saw everything you mentionned, the problem is i saw also important issues with the other that was on my list the Q50. Some people have a phone call from infiniti to stop using the car for DAS issue. Some cars sat at the dealer for more than one week. Also freezing of the touche panel, and some other minor things.

I think in the forum you see only the issue, same thing for here at acurazine. You need to take a step backward and look at it. THere s a lot more cadillac ATS sold than Q50 or even TL (compare in one year), so it s normal to see more issues mentionned on the web.

By the way sometimes i can smell the mushroom in my TL but it dissapear in two minutes, same thing for ATS owner.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by epicurious

If you think the ATS is having issues, wait'll you see the Q50 forums and the issues with the Q50 electronics.

BTW, there were a couple of people on that forum that Cadillac bought their cars back from because of the issues they were having. The issues with the Cadillac have been all over the map, but I don't think they were as bad as some of the stuff I've seen on Q50 forums with them repeatedly having to pull over and restart their car to get electronics working or hold the steering wheel crooked to get the car to straight. I've given up on the Q50 for now... the ATS is still in the back of my mind, though. I'm kind of praying the '14 ATS has kicked out much of the '13 model's issues, so I'm still watching. FYI : they'll be revealing the ATS coupe next month.
sebounet2005 (12-01-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 08:22 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think the ATS is having issues, wait'll you see the Q50 forums and the issues with the Q50 electronics.

BTW, there were a couple of people on that forum that Cadillac bought their cars back from because of the issues they were having. The issues with the Cadillac have been all over the map, but I don't think they were as bad as some of the stuff I've seen on Q50 forums with them repeatedly having to pull over and restart their car to get electronics working or hold the steering wheel crooked to get the car to straight. I've given up on the Q50 for now... the ATS is still in the back of my mind, though. I'm kind of praying the '14 ATS has kicked out much of the '13 model's issues, so I'm still watching. FYI : they'll be revealing the ATS coupe next month.
Good points regarding the Q50, I was monitoring the Q50 forum there too for a bit. I actually bought the Q50 only to return it a few hours later. Long story not worth getting into but the one I bought was the one without the DAS. With DAS you end up being a beta tester for 100% electronic steering and I did not want to go down that road. There have already been issues as you have referred to.

Anyway on the Q50 there is a separate software issue related to the infotainment and navigation system. Infiniti has been trying to come up with a software fix for that since the summer. I think February is the new estimated projection for the software fix for infotainment. Anyway the way I rationalized my purchase was I can drive the car and not use those systems as they are not critical to driving the car. The key point for me is I don't want to deal with any engine, transmission, braking or other safety system problems. I did not see any major problems there so I figured I could wait out the software update. I already have a Garmin for navigation.

In spite of Infiniti's projections I expect the infotainment software problems will be fully resolved at some point in the 6-12 months. With DAS who knows.

The nice thing about the TL is its fully baked; well I'm new to the forum so I'm assuming it does not have any compelling issues.

Thanks for the comment about the ATS coupe timing.

Thank you, yes i saw everything you mentionned, the problem is i saw also important issues with the other that was on my list the Q50. Some people have a phone call from infiniti to stop using the car for DAS issue. Some cars sat at the dealer for more than one week. Also freezing of the touche panel, and some other minor things.

I think in the forum you see only the issue, same thing for here at acurazine. You need to take a step backward and look at it. THere s a lot more cadillac ATS sold than Q50 or even TL (compare in one year), so it s normal to see more issues mentionned on the web.

By the way sometimes i can smell the mushroom in my TL but it dissapear in two minutes, same thing for ATS owner.
Re: the mushroom. I think all cars can have this problem over time but the ATS has a real design, or perhaps assembly, flaw which caused this problem to happen immediately. Thats the difference. Even Edmunds noticed it in the long term car.

""What an incredible smell you've discovered." Ah, yes, I never pass up an opportunity to work in a Star Wars quote.

But seriously, when you start up our 2013 Cadillac ATS, the first few seconds of air that comes blasting out of the vents is pretty stinky. Like, "shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level" stinky."

Fortunately it seems like GM is on top of this one and is resolving the issue.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-02-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-01-2013, 09:49 PM

I didn't knew that about the coupe, if they reveal it for the detroit autoshow, it will be available around spring , or june. Too late for me, but maybe i will change my ats sooner :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and I don't blame you for jumping ship. ATS is a nice car but a little small for my own personal tastes. However if that were not the case I would certainly give it a closer look. Please keep us updated on your ownership experience!
Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Cadillac ATS v6 AWD performance.
The ATS has a log going for it. I'm impressed as well with the CTS V-Sport.

Cadillac are almost good enough now that I'd consider buying one.

Almost.

:-)