Going new. SH-AWD TL or G37X...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Love Guru

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
TSC17 > I was in the same dilemma as you are, buy G37 or buy TL SH-AWD, or buy a 2009 BMW 528xi. I went with TL for four reasons.

1. Spacious than G37 and 528.
2. Better AWD system than G37 and 528, at least on the paper.
3. Dealership location. I have an Acura dealership about 5 miles from my home, and I have another Acura dealership about 10 miles from work. The closest BMW dealership is about 15 - 20 miles from my home, none near my work. And the closest Infinity was about 20 - 25 miles from my home.
4. Cheaper dealer asking price and better trade-in for my TL.

I am not sure if "4" applies to you, but for me that was a big factor too. Every where else I went offered me 18000 for my trade-in, Acura offered me 20,000.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
I want to know what he's actually paying for it though, not the MSRP.

Are you paying MSRP?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The short answer is NO, I am not paying MSRP. Keep in mind that in Canada, the MSRP for a AWD Tech is 43390$ + Freight and PDI. I was able to get a decent value for my Rav4, 0.25% for 36 months on the RDX, $$$$ off MSRP plus some goodies as far as accessories (winter rims and cargo tray)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g37guy01
^^^^ IMO, the G37 with wood accents is head and shoulders above the Acura interior. All those buttons and stuff....yuch. I like the closeness and jet fighter cockpit feel. I do agree the aluminum does not belong in a $40K vehicle, but the wood accents give the G cockpit a classy look. Something the TL doesn't have.
IMHO the TL's interior is way, way superior to the G. I did like the G's power-burst but was not impressed by the interior design and layout. I really liked the TL at night, looked like a *real* cockpit.
Also the seats in the G are not in the same class as the TL.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
That's why YMMV. The G with the led accents and wood accents is incredibly gorgeous and classy, nicer than TL. The G has a real cockpit feeling to it. The seats in the G fit me to a t and do a perfect job of keeping my body where it should be. Very comfortable can drive for hours. If the TLs seats are better than wow. Maybe we are talking how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Anyway as I said earlier, YMMV will anything that is subjective.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

That's why YMMV. The G with the led accents and wood accents is incredibly gorgeous and classy, nicer than TL. The G has a real cockpit feeling to it. The seats in the G fit me to a t and do a perfect job of keeping my body where it should be. Very comfortable can drive for hours. If the TLs seats are better than wow. Maybe we are talking how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Yup. Yr opinion is as good as mine. BTW have you ever sat in the drivers seat of a 4G?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts

I absolutely love the G, drove one several times, great solid car and I would pick one anytime over a E90 3 Series.

However you cannot help feeling (in my opinion) that the TL feels a bit more luxurious (also because of its bigger size), the cabin refimente feels more substantial.
I do not want to beat on a dead horse but the fact that even some of the press (not only here on Acurazine) suggested that TL can be an "also competitor" to cars of a higher segment (like the A6 or entry/mid level 5 Series) while no press ever suggested that for a G, gives you the idea that the TL is positioned just a tad higher, it is a "tweener car", and that was the stated target of Acura at the launch.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zovinger

Yup. Yr opinion is as good as mine. BTW have you ever sat in the drivers seat of a 4G?
No 2010, but I don't think the interior went through a major upgrade.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saturno_v
I absolutely love the G, drove one several times, great solid car and I would pick one anytime over a E90 3 Series.

However you cannot help feeling (in my opinion) that the TL feels a bit more luxurious (also because of its bigger size), the cabin refimente feels more substantial.
I do not want to beat on a dead horse but the fact that even some of the press (not only here on Acurazine) suggested that TL can be an "also competitor" to cars of a higher segment (like the A6 or entry/mid level 5 Series) while no press ever suggested that for a G, gives you the idea that the TL is positioned just a tad higher, it is a "tweener car", and that was the stated target of Acura at the launch.
The TL is more luxury, the G more sport in my opinion. I just don't like all the buttons. I prefer the G interior with the lighter interior and wood accents. Totally changes the vehicle.

Notwithstanding some of my criticsms of the G (you can read about it on myg37.com), it's a better value than the 335, that in and of itself makes up for any deficit in handling and performance relative to the 335.

The TL vs 5 series debate has been , so we don't need to go back into it.

Also, I don't take anything away from the TL, for the most part many of these this vs that thread is about nits and preferences.

Last edited by g37guy01; 04-12-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
The TL is more luxury, the G more sport in my opinion.
I totally agree...
Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may not matter to you, but where I live there are a LOT of G's on the road. For me I like driving something that you don't see several of at every stop light.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Popularity or unpopularity to me is never considered in my purchase decision. I buy a car based on what I like, not how others drive the same vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
zovinger (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Popularity or unpopularity to me is never considered in my purchase decision. I buy a car based on what I like, not how others drive the same vehicle.
Cant agree more.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
While I agree it wouldn't deter me from buying something I like, I consider it an added bounse if what I do like isn't Camry popular.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Good for you. That is why i said "for me". If the op is on the fence, it could be something that matters to them.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
You should just wait for the 5th generation
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
@jjsc5 the TL is less dated by what, one year?
I always have to look it up, but I think it's like three years older. I pointed this out once before. If you just look up G37 maybe, but it came out as a G35 and then changed the engine, but nothing else.

Just looked it up, the current G came out in 07.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I always have to look it up, but I think it's like three years older. I pointed this out once before. If you just look up G37 maybe, but it came out as a G35 and then changed the engine, but nothing else.

I don't remember if the styling was updated in 08 or 07. Either way the current TL came out in 09. So the diff is one maybe two years.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TullyMN
Good for you. That is why i said "for me". If the op is on the fence, it could be something that matters to them.
As I said, I cant imagine people making a purchase decision based on what their neighbor drives. But this is a big world and people do all sorts of things I don't understand.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jjsC5

Didn't make the edit time. The g37 was introduced with the new engine and transmission in 2009. We can debate about whether this was a sufficient refresh to start the click ticking from2009. In my book, yes.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Intermediate

I finally got a chance to go to the NY auto show yesterday to sit in a TL. Very comfortable driver seat. And a very nice audio system. I can tell it is better than my G's Bose system. However, my G's Bose system is already good enough for me and I'm totally happy with it. Acura done a very good job with TL's sound system. One thing I didn't like about the TL is the center console...tooooo many buttons. Not intuitive to me. My G's console is simpler and more intuitive.
The following users liked this post:
g37guy01 (04-15-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Intermediate

As I said, I cant imagine people making a purchase decision based on what their neighbor drives. But this is a big world and people do all sorts of things I don't understand.
Another item then to add to the long list of things you don't understand.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TullyMN
Another item then to add to the long list of things you don't understand.
Thank you for adding your amazing insight, wit and clarity to this thread.

And here's something interesting that might sway thinking.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...6_in_pipeline/

Last edited by g37guy01; 04-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
"And here's something interesting that might sway thinking."

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1204_infiniti_super_g_with_530_hp_twin_v6_in_pipel ine

Cool. But then I noticed the price - more than a GTR. Still, sounds like a very interesting development.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Didn't make the edit time. The g37 was introduced with the new engine and transmission in 2009. We can debate about whether this was a sufficient refresh to start the click ticking from2009. In my book, yes.
Exterior was also refreshed in 2010 for the sedan.....that's the one i have. 2010 G37x. It came with Fog Lights, also the premium pkg included rearview camera and back up sensors.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Acura2010
Exterior was also refreshed in 2010 for the sedan.....that's the one i have. 2010 G37x. It came with Fog Lights, also the premium pkg included rearview camera and back up sensors.
Since you have both, how does the exterior paint quality compared between your G and TL?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 AM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2009 G37S Coupe Lease is ending soon and I am highly considering a 2012 Sh-Awd TL. I see G37's everywhere and they are getting quite boring to look at imo. I love the interior of the TL. Much better than that of my G and I don't see them around much often. I've been getting quotes from several dealers trying to ace the right TL at the right price. I had a 2006 Acura Tsx and I gotta say I would love to go back to Acura plus the TL would look sweet parked next to my dads 06' RL

Go for what you like best. Both are Great Cars and you cannot go wrong with either. Best of luck!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Not that it mattered now, since you (OP) got the 2012 Acura TL. For me, it was a tough decision, as I had been looking at the G35x and G37x for a very long time. The Nissan/Infiniti's VQ six engine is one of the best engineered engines with many engineering awards under its belt, so reliability in that department won me over.

The only things that tipped me in the TL's favor were:
  1. The NAV user-interface. The Infiniti's is horrible!! I like the turn dial and a singular button to push up/down/left/right. The Infiniti's are four separate buttons for up/down/left/right. Obviously someone from the UI and accessibility team didn't test this thoroughly.
  2. When I looked at the previous generation of each car and at myself when they were first introduced, I loved both designs very much. But I realized that the G's design got dated very fast, while I still love the 3G TL. Granted, the 4G may look somewhat bland compared to the G37, I have this feeling that in five years, the G37 will look just as dated, while the TL may still look attractive.
FYI, I've attached the spreadsheet I used during my purchase decision matrix.
Attached Thumbnails Going new. SH-AWD TL or G37X...-20120424_newcarcomparison.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StHalcyon
The NAV user-interface. The Infiniti's is horrible!! I like the turn dial and a singular button to push up/down/left/right. The Infiniti's are four separate buttons for up/down/left/right. Obviously someone from the UI and accessibility team didn't test this thoroughly.
I'm wondering if you have tried the G's touch screen navigation interface?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I'm wondering if you have tried the G's touch screen navigation interface?
No, I have not tried the touch interface. I personally prefer non-touch. I am one of the few people who loved the controversial iDrive interface when BMW introduced it. Too bad it was on a car I couldn't afford.

The problem I have with the touch interface is that it takes more effort and concentration to hit the right button when you're in motion. On my Spec.B, I have found myself using my right 3 fingers to prop my hand steady on the trim around the screen, while I punch the buttons on the screen with my index finger. I hate that very much. I don't know how one can steady their hand on the Infiniti touch screen when there is a myriad of buttons in the way that prevent you from stabilizing your hand.

Granted, you're not supposed to be working the NAV while driving, but sometimes you can't help yourself.

This is also why I have a hard time with the touch screen on my cell phone. I still can't get used to it. Feels like I've slowed down my input speed by a significant fraction.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

No, I have not tried the touch interface. I personally prefer non-touch. I am one of the few people who loved the controversial iDrive interface when BMW introduced it. Too bad it was on a car I couldn't afford.

The problem I have with the touch interface is that it takes more effort and concentration to hit the right button when you're in motion. On my Spec.B, I have found myself using my right 3 fingers to prop my hand steady on the trim around the screen, while I punch the buttons on the screen with my index finger. I hate that very much. I don't know how one can steady their hand on the Infiniti touch screen when there is a myriad of buttons in the way that prevent you from stabilizing your hand.

Granted, you're not supposed to be working the NAV while driving, but sometimes you can't help yourself.

This is also why I have a hard time with the touch screen on my cell phone. I still can't get used to it. Feels like I've slowed down my input speed by a significant fraction.
I actually use the touch screen most of the time and loving it. I could input a lot faster this way. And even if you don't like to use the center console or touch screen, you could also use the control on the steering wheel to input/control your NAV.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

I actually use the touch screen most of the time and loving it. I could input a lot faster this way. And even if you don't like to use the center console or touch screen, you could also use the control on the steering wheel to input/control your NAV.
Exactly. When driving the steering buttons or voice interface works great. Unlike the TL, with extended prompts on you don't need to go through the alphabet to make the system perform a command.

If you want to change the center position while driving you do have to use the controls.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Not that it mattered now, since you (OP) got the 2012 Acura TL. For me, it was a tough decision, as I had been looking at the G35x and G37x for a very long time. The Nissan/Infiniti's VQ six engine is one of the best engineered engines with many engineering awards under its belt, so reliability in that department won me over.

The only things that tipped me in the TL's favor were:
  1. The NAV user-interface. The Infiniti's is horrible!! I like the turn dial and a singular button to push up/down/left/right. The Infiniti's are four separate buttons for up/down/left/right. Obviously someone from the UI and accessibility team didn't test this thoroughly.
  2. When I looked at the previous generation of each car and at myself when they were first introduced, I loved both designs very much. But I realized that the G's design got dated very fast, while I still love the 3G TL. Granted, the 4G may look somewhat bland compared to the G37, I have this feeling that in five years, the G37 will look just as dated, while the TL may still look attractive.
FYI, I've attached the spreadsheet I used during my purchase decision matrix.
Out of the gate the G is more attractive then the TL. Of course this is subjective YMMV. The G of 2008 looks more attractive than the 2012 TL. Again, IMHO, YMMV. So after 4 or 5 years, the G does not look dated and is still a very handsome car.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Exactly. When driving the steering buttons or voice interface works great. Unlike the TL, with extended prompts on you don't need to go through the alphabet to make the system perform a command.

If you want to change the center position while driving you do have to use the controls.
I love using the touch screen on my Spec.B too, but when I'm driving and I want to tap out a street name quickly, I have to stabilize my hand and fingers to avoid hitting the adjacent key by mistake. It's not something against the G, as I have the same issue with my Nokia N8. My input speed and accuracy dropped a bit when going touch screen.

Out of the gate the G is more attractive then the TL. Of course this is subjective YMMV. The G of 2008 looks more attractive than the 2012 TL. Again, IMHO, YMMV. So after 4 or 5 years, the G does not look dated and is still a very handsome car.
Oh, trust me, in my opinion, the G is definitely more attractive than the TL. It's just that in my opinion, the wilder and more aggressive the design, the easier they age and look irrelevant. As opposed to bland "safe" designs, once taken for granted, their looks age well. Just like I find Audi designs monotonous throughout the generations, even previous generations still look great. Relatively speaking, of course.

But looks are highly subjective. I thought my Spec.B looked great, but many of my friends thought it was an ugly sports sedan. LOL

Last edited by StHalcyon; 04-30-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I love using the touch screen on my Spec.B too, but when I'm driving and I want to tap out a street name quickly, I have to stabilize my hand and fingers to avoid hitting the adjacent key by mistake. It's not something against the G, as I have the same issue with my Nokia N8. My input speed and accuracy dropped a bit when going touch screen.

Oh, trust me, in my opinion, the G is definitely more attractive than the TL. It's just that in my opinion, the wilder and more aggressive the design, the easier they age and look irrelevant. As opposed to bland "safe" designs, once taken for granted, their looks age well. Just like I find Audi designs monotonous throughout the generations, even previous generations still look great. Relatively speaking, of course.

But looks are highly subjective. I thought my Spec.B looked great, but many of my friends thought it was an ugly sports sedan. LOL
With respect to the bolded text, while the car is in motion, what I'm saying is you can use the voice and steering wheel buttons to:

1. pause the route guidance
2. using voice prompts establish a new destination and start the route guidance

For those who didn't know you could do that while the car is in motion, I just wanted to clarify.

You must use the wheel and buttons, if you want to move the center of the display to a new position. Meaning if you want to place the center of the display one mile north to see the map, you have to use the buttons. However, that is a specific situation. You do not have to use the touch screen to enter a new destination.

FWIW...I did like the spec b.

Last edited by g37guy01; 04-30-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
I was faced with this same decision two years ago.

I picked the G because at the time I could not come to grips with liking the 4G's pre-MMC styling. It was just too polarizing for me. It also seemed quite a big larger than my '06 TL. I just do not need a car that large.

The G felt more snug, seemed more fun to drive (probably due to size) and it is a more attractive car IMO. I did like the TL's interior which I felt was better built along with the comfort and contoured seating.

All in all, either car would be a smart choice. With the '12 MMC out and faced with the same decision now would be much harder.

Not to mention, AZ is a much more livelier message board. Lots of tools on the Infiniti forums, here not so much. Just your occasional fanboys
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
^^^^^ What kind of tools on the Infiniti forums ?

Can we use them here ?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I was faced with this same decision two years ago.

I picked the G because at the time I could not come to grips with liking the 4G's pre-MMC styling. It was just too polarizing for me. It also seemed quite a big larger than my '06 TL. I just do not need a car that large.

The G felt more snug, seemed more fun to drive (probably due to size) and it is a more attractive car IMO. I did like the TL's interior which I felt was better built along with the comfort and contoured seating.

All in all, either car would be a smart choice. With the '12 MMC out and faced with the same decision now would be much harder.

Not to mention, AZ is a much more livelier message board. Lots of tools on the Infiniti forums, here not so much. Just your occasional fanboys
You mean the overall dimension of the car when you say big, or the interior space? Cos the TL is physically larger by a tad bit, but has less interior space than the G sedan.

Also... By tools, do you mean hardware or software? Like the mass between the keyboard and the chairs?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Disagree on interior space TL vs G, the TL is much more spacious.

I can sit comfortably in the TL, and I wear a G like a wetsuit.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
You mean the overall dimension of the car when you say big, or the interior space? Cos the TL is physically larger by a tad bit, but has less interior space than the G sedan.

Also... By tools, do you mean hardware or software? Like the mass between the keyboard and the chairs?
Physically it's more than a tad bigger. The exterior dimensions practically make this a large car (5" almost 6" longer and I forget how much more width than the 3G TL) . Just too big for what I need. Especially now that I drive a Crown Vic everyday I want a smaller car for when I do drive my personal vehicle lol. I felt as though my '06 TL had the right size, a CTS or G37 were closest to it.

The Infiniti boards just suck period. I stick around AZ and I don't even own an Acura or Honda product at all anymore. My wife drives a Toyota. The mass between the keyboard and chairs just needs to be eliminated. If I could reach through the screen and slap them I would.

The grass isn't always greener...
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DannyZRC
Disagree on interior space TL vs G, the TL is much more spacious.

Have to agree here. I test drove both the cars a few times and the TL is more spacious or at least seems so.

Quick Reply: Going new. SH-AWD TL or G37X...