FWD owners do you feel regret not getting the SH-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by bmode
I got no clue, that's why I'm asking? It thought 32 was the magic PSI number.

In the 3G, there is a similar situation. The base model recommended pressures are 32 F / 32 R. The TL-S is recommeded at 35 F / 32 R.

Depending where you look or who you ask, the conventional wisdom is that the higher front pressure helps reduce understeer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=58

Many will fool around with tire pressures, say, 3 - 5 psi, from the recommendation to find what works/feels best for them.

What's important is that you stay below the max rating for the tire, that you keep the fronts equal and the rears equal and that you maintain your target pressure(s) on an on-going basis.

Tire Rack has a load of tire pressure related articles to help you be a better informed driver/consumer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp
Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooope.
Where I live, don't need it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I beleive that is becasue of the HPT, the regular AWD is 32 or 33 all around.
"the tire pressure sticker on my SH-AWD says 37 front and 32 rear"

hmmmm didn't know that - yes HPT
Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaikamon
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooope.
Where I live, don't need it.
I had a fwd as a loaner and it handled so well I had to ask if it was awd. If you aren't contending with bad weather, the loss of weight, better fuel economy, and less to go wrong with the drivetrain makes the fwd very attractive.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rjheiss
I had a fwd as a loaner and it handled so well I had to ask if it was awd. If you aren't contending with bad weather, the loss of weight, better fuel economy, and less to go wrong with the drivetrain makes the fwd very attractive.

my thoughts exactly, Honda/Acura makes some of the best handling fwd cars over the years. also the money you save not getting the sh-awd will make your decision much easier when it comes time to trade in for a type-s or a sh-awd with 6 speed auto down the road.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Instructor

I can understand why someone would want the TL with FWD only. I never considered anything but the AWD because (1) I was in the car market because my wife totaled her car in a fairly small snowstorm on Martin Luther King Day, (2) We have a Jeep Wrangler and love the 4WD to be there when we need it, and (3) I had a 1998 Audi A4 and loved the AWD quattro. We took the money from her totaled Nissan Maxima and my former favorite plaything a 2003 350Z, and got the AWD TL. I'm liking the outcome of all of this more every day.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjheiss

It isn't just for bad weather. The SH-AWD system improves handling and grip in all situations. This system is what makes the MDX so agile even though it's a SUV. The FWD TL is very nose-heavy and has a tendency to plow into turns. The AWD car on the other hand is more balanced and at times you swear it feels like it's a RWD car. The SH-AWD system gives you the confidance to tackle just about any challenging road conditions--wet or dry....driving becomes a lot more fun and safe.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are going off topic again, LOL, but thanks rjheiss, I too like the FWD for my car use. I think it handles very well.

So any where from 32 to 37 psi is safe. I also notice that when I start the day, it sometimes says 30-31, then when I come home it's 32-34 psi? I guess that's just expansion and considered normal. I do like the TPMS, a nice feature. I didn't have it in my old 3G.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the record, my daily drive is a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon. My wife drives the TL 95% of the time, but I could get used to a TL very easily.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
It isn't just for bad weather. The SH-AWD system improves handling and grip in all situations. This system is what makes the MDX so agile even though it's a SUV. The FWD TL is very nose-heavy and has a tendency to plow into turns. The AWD car on the other hand is more balanced and at times you swear it feels like it's a RWD car. The SH-AWD system gives you the confidance to tackle just about any challenging road conditions--wet or dry....driving becomes a lot more fun and safe.
I know the MDX is agile - when I had my 04 TL in for service I had a new MDX loaner - I was driving highway speeds - when suddenly there is a wooden pallet on the road in the lane in front of me. I was able to make a quick move to the next lane with much less drama than I would have thought for an SUV. much less than my 05 MDX would have done
Old 03-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Intermediate

I can't speak for the MDX but I test drove both the FWD and the SH-AWD before buying my SH-AWD. Two different cars, altogether. The FWD has a more forgiving suspension and much lighter steering. The SH-AWD has a stiffer-tuned suspension and a more firm, sport steering. The best way I can describe it is like twins, they both look the same but one is a bookworm and the other a jock.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Instructor

It wasn't the FWD ("wrong wheel drive") that turned me off but the Logitech like and video gaming feel to the steering wheel that was evident in the FWD counterpart.

I've driven sporty 13 second FWD Hondas/Acura and always wished for something of a balance without limiting myself in the winter with a RWD.

Here's a article of how the SH fairs up against competition.

linky