Front Under Body Spoiler Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Under Body Spoiler Installation

While I was trying to park today, I managed to scrape the underside of the front bumper on the curve. The damage is between the foglight and the wheel (closer to the wheel actually). Unfortunately, I scraped some of the paint off of the underside of the bumper as well as scraped it up. It's not really too noticable from above, but you can see it if you look at eye level with the damaged area. Since I've only had the car a month, this is really bothering me!

I figure I have two options:

1) use a little touch-up paint to cover the area that is barely noticeable. I am a little concerned that I will make it look worse than it already does. Any tips on applying touch up paint?

2) Install a front under body spoiler. I believe that will cover the damaged area. Are these easy to install or would I need to have Acura Service install it? Will it look odd having the front under body spoiler but not ones for the side and back?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhiannon1207
While I was trying to park today, I managed to scrape the underside of the front bumper on the curve. The damage is between the foglight and the wheel (closer to the wheel actually). Unfortunately, I scraped some of the paint off of the underside of the bumper as well as scraped it up. It's not really too noticable from above, but you can see it if you look at eye level with the damaged area. Since I've only had the car a month, this is really bothering me!

I figure I have two options:

1) use a little touch-up paint to cover the area that is barely noticeable. I am a little concerned that I will make it look worse than it already does. Any tips on applying touch up paint?

2) Install a front under body spoiler. I believe that will cover the damaged area. Are these easy to install or would I need to have Acura Service install it? Will it look odd having the front under body spoiler but not ones for the side and back?
I'd go with option 1. IMO it would look odd with only the front spolier. Or buy the whole kit. There are some posts by Blacura about installation.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow. same thing happened to me today. Mine isnt noticable unless you lay under the car and look. I will add some touch-up paint, until I decide to put the entire body-kit on next spring.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The problem with the underbody spoiler is that even though it look cool, you gotta be even more careful with inclines and curb stops. The TL is already quite low....it'll be very easy to scratch and mash-up the chin spoiler on anything less than a perfectly-level road.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is scratched soooooooooo bad on my front bumper, under my license plate. There are about 1000 up-and-down scratches, all from scraping driveways and whatnot. Mine you can't see as well, unless you're looking down there, or if the car is parked on hill, facing up.

And also, if scraping is an issue for you, the under-body kit will only make it worse!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Well I am lowered as well, the issue is I wasnt being careful. I know how to drive a lowered car, I just didnt take the right angle coming out of a gas station, as I was in a hurry, and the angle was tricky. I am going to add a lip kit at somepoint in time either Ronjon, or OEM. I am ok with the bottom scratching as long as it isnt that noticable, I will touch it up with some paint and be good to go. Getting it resprayed is always an option as well, I would just like to wait until I have some more knicks in the front bumper before doing that. I was quoted 275 for respraying the front bumper.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I have a lowered 06 Miata, so I know to stay away from curbs. Even cars that are not lowered barely make it over those curb stops. I just never get near them and always remind the dealer to do the same if I am in for service. Just have to be a bit anal about it.

I would just get some touch up paint and touch it up a little at a time until you can fill the scratch area. Just do a little each day, then lightly polish it.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
havent scraped mine yet badly... plus ill be lowering my car next week maybe...

you just need to know how to drive a lowered car... my last two 3G TL's were lowered about 1.9/2.0" with the lip kit
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM
My beer fridge is in

i scraped mine in the same spot last week. However i don't need touch up paint because my car is black. Actually the worst part about mine is the clear bra that was scraped too. Once i cut off the pieces that were just hanging off, you can't even notice.but i do believe the front lip will cover it. I will be waiting for Ron Jon to make one
Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ there is also a good chance Ron WILL be making one, since he is trying to get a 4G TL also
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 PM
My beer fridge is in

^ yeah i've talked to him a bunch of times. Now its just a waiting game, like the grill, and the rims